Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

kyosho st-r engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 07:50 PM
jqtopa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kyosho st-r engine

hi all i just purchased the inferno st-r kit i have been putting it together, but now i need an engine i would like to buy the ofna pico .28 (non pullstart) but before i do will this engine fit and if not does anyone have any other reccommendation on which engine to use thanks and looking forward to running this truggy
p.s. will post some pics when everything is done
Old 06-25-2006, 10:02 PM
Dnell

Default RE: kyosho st-r engine

Novarossi P5 or 21-5 with Novarossi pipe (086 or 053). Quality and performance without breaking the bank.

Why buy a 'top flight' kit and put a budget engine and pipe in it?

This is an eternal question and if you do a search you'll find plenty said on the subject.

Good Luck with your kit and take your time putting it together. I'd recommend Proline Bowtie MT tires as well.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Haulin bass

LOL the picco .28 FT will run with any engine out there(and stomp most of the .28s in terms of runtimes) very smooth power and tons of it. Best of all it matches the trucks color scheme.

I recomend the werks 086 conical pipe for it.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:37 AM
Sorianoda

Like he said no point in buying a $700 kit and then putting in budget parts. I went top of the line in my kit. here is my set up...

Futaba S9351 High Torque
FUTM0236
Volts Torque Speed
4.8V 153.0 oz-in. 0.16 sec/60°
6.0V 192.0 oz-in. 0.13 sec/60°
Dimensions Weight
1.6 x 0.8 x 1.5 in. 2.0 oz.

3PK Titanium Black
Futaba's first 3PK carried competition-level control speed and accuracy to new heights. Now there's a second version – with much more to offer than its obvious fresh, "high-tech" looks. The 3PK Black includes a synthesized module, conveniently located beneath a sliding hatch on top of the transmitter. Rotary adjustments on the module allow you to change channels as easily as turning a dial...without changing crystals. Popular features continued from the first 3PK include an easy-to-read, backlit LCD; programming menus tailored to three skill levels; electronic restoration of settings weakened by time or vibration; and the ability to operate in FM, PCM, or advanced HRS (High Response Speed) transmission modes — so you can take full advantage of digital servos' potential!

System Features:

* Synthesized module with rotary adjustments for dialing-in channels without changing crystals
* Expandable, 10-model memory with 12-character naming and data copy, clear, transfer and keylock functions
* Choice of "New Driver," "Race-Ready" or "Expert" menus to offer easier programming for sport drivers and two levels of adjustment sophistication for competitors
* "Direct Select" that allows fast, two-button access for up to six driver-selected functions
* Large, backlit LCD with adjustable contrast and 128 x 64 dot resolution
* APA (Advanced Positioning Adapter) for customizing radio balance and wheel "feel" to driver preference
* Assignable switch and dial functions
* 2 programmable mixes for complex custom set-ups; brake mixing for 1/5 scale vehicles and boat mixing
* Digital trims and dials with automatic electronic memory
* Subtrims on all channels
* Servo reversing on all channels
* EPA (End Point Adjustments) on all channels
* Failsafe and battery failsafe
* Easy conversion to right-/left-hand use
* Up/down, lap and system timers
* Direct Servo Control (DSC) (Cord available Seperately)

Werks Racing Pipe
Finally available, the proven 086 racing exhaust, coupled with the revolutionary Conical V Manifold. Get all the top end down the back straight without sacrificing your low end to clear the triples!

.21 VZ-B V-Spec-T (P)
Competitors tend to stick with a winner — and the .21 VZ-B V-Spec-T (P) makes that easy to do.

The raw power to exploit a split-second opportunity is there, tempered by the ability to fine-tune and finesse throttle control to the needs of different tracks and situations. And to help keep the .21 VZ-B V-Spec-T (P) at the peak of its power, O.S. has given it a billet aluminum piston, hardened ABC sleeve for added wear resistance and a new crankshaft design that's simultaneously slimmer and stronger than any O.S. crankshaft ever made. The .21 VZ-B V-Spec-T (P) — designed for first-place finishes over the long haul — from O.S.

* More power and durability. The brass sleeve is chrome-plated for performance and hardened to withstand the wear that racing action can produce. CAD-refined and CNC-machined ports smooth airflow and boost power.
* Track-tune in seconds! Increase control on low-traction tracks by inserting the 8 mm (red) or 9 mm (blue) carb restrictor. Takes only a second, but pays off, lap after lap.

Pro-Line Crime Fighter MT
Constructed of super-soft M2 compound
Staggered pin design with diamond shaped elongated center tread
Lighter design reduces rotating mass for greater acceleration
Narrow carcass

Finished Product...

Old 06-26-2006, 01:25 AM
Haulin bass

I can tell you straight up the picco .28 will stomp the vspec, I have ownd three Vspecs the bearings started to flake at two gallons in every single one.Price doesnt always equal performance and longevity, IMO the picco .28 is one of the best truggy race engines you can get and there are allot of Pros that would agree with me. A high dollar .21 is a good choice but not the only one to go fast.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:44 AM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

Personally I vote for the .21, I went with an eb mods OS vspec and OS 2060 pipe and have nothing but good to say so far, other than break-in was a PIA, that I will say.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:33 AM
Dnell

IMO the picco .28 is one of the best truggy race engines you can get and there are allot of Pros that would agree with me. A high dollar .21 is a good choice but not the only one to go fast.
There is no disputing the Picco .28 is a good engine possibly even a great engine. The Novarossi P5 is hardly high dollar. I mentioned it because after spending a lot of time helping a friend with his STR, we found the STR had better balance with a .21.

It's quite a nervous truck on rough tracks and just about any .28 makes it a handful to control (unless you are decent racer already). The truck weighs almost a pound less than a CRT, almost the same as a CR buggy.

jqtopa, i don't now your skill level but believe me when I tell you, the truck suites a .21 very well and a .28 sends it into the overpowered camp. So the decision is down to if you want to enjoy driving the truck or trying to control it.

Just my opinion
Old 06-26-2006, 07:20 AM
jqtopa

hey haulin thanks for the help thanks to everyone else as well now does the picco drop right in or is there any modifications that need to be done because i had the picco 27 pullstart and ad to shave the engine mount in order for it to fit then a friend told me to get the non pullstart version of the engine and it would fit fine is this true thanks and sorry for any dumb questions.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Dnell

should drop right in.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Philster

Drops right in.

I have the P3-28 in my Kyosho Inferno GT on-raod car (kyosho buggy chassis based), and it is down-right sick....in a good way. I'm on stock mounts and spacers from Kyosho.

The high-end .21 engines can almost match the .28 horsepower, but not the torque, but the .21's make their bread and butter with a higher redline and a throttle response that seems to 'stay on the cam' better, probably because they are revving higher inch for inch down the track....and nothing feels as responsive as a high revvving engine that jumps from 15,000 rpms to well past 30,000 rpms in a blink.

If you gear the .28 right and appreciate it has a different feel, the .28 can be a better engine, but it is really hard to argue with any racer who knows how high-end .21 engines and born and bred. They have an incredible pedigree for racing.

Still the Picco P3 28 is quite a beast.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:28 PM
noximus

i totally agree with Dnell...

i ran the STR with my P5X..its a damn near perfect fit as far as performance goes. it ran allot better than what the Vspec did..the Vspec had a little more top end power, but it was too abrupt, it wasnt as smooth as the P5. you want a nice smooth power band, especially with the STR, considering how responsive the kit already is.

haulin bass is also saying the truth about them Vspecs..3 out of 5 people here locally had nothing but issues with the bearings, if you are going to push out high dollar on some race engine, the last thing you shoul dbe worrying about is some bearings JMHO..

now to the flip side of the story, them EB modded Vspecs from what i heard are the real deal, EB mods do a fantastic job modding them Vspecs.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:52 AM
plecofish

I have seen a guy with a Sirio Kanai Evo 2 and Max pipe..... that stuff was impressive
Old 08-07-2006, 12:01 PM
kd2777

I put a RB extreme moded V-Spec into mine and it is a beast. When it dies I am thinking about the RB concepts 928. But havent decided yet, that is still a good ways away.......hopfully.

-Kevin-
Old 08-08-2006, 04:00 PM
JDRACING

I have an RB C5 BB with a Novarossi 53 pipe and the thing rocks. The VSpec in my 1/8 Kyosho SP2 scale buggy is an absolute beast as well. Can't go wrong with either of these engines.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:14 AM
rcboxer

I have a Mach .26 . I paid a $100 bucks for it and it is just as fast as my buddies picco .27 and my friends werks .21. I don't understand yet why people want to buy only expensive engines. My other two friends have the new novarossi's and I wasn't really impressed. then again i have never had one. I know that my mach .26 rips though!!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:40 PM
clone3

I run a RB TM928 with a JP-2 pipe and the combo justs rocks. Tons of bottom-nut and sick fast top end. I ran the motor/pipe combo at the US GAS CHAMPS last year and qual 13th and finished 6th in the Amain intermediate class. I made one tunning adj at the race during practice and that was it!!! The motor ran at 262 deg the entire weekend. The P3 .28 is a great motor but from my personal experience the 928 is the way to go------best of luck to ya
Old 08-23-2006, 12:08 PM
JatoDoty

check out the jp modded vspec with the black head.........only 300 made in the world limited edition engine...............thats what im runnin
Old 08-23-2006, 03:06 PM
noximus

ORIGINAL: rcboxer

I have a Mach .26 . I paid a $100 bucks for it and it is just as fast as my buddies picco .27 and my friends werks .21. I don't understand yet why people want to buy only expensive engines. My other two friends have the new novarossi's and I wasn't really impressed. then again i have never had one. I know that my mach .26 rips though!!
so you never owned one, but you think it sucks and you are suggesting a Mach .26? have you driven the STR yet? have you seen the Mach .26 up in a truggy as of yet? i have, and i will tell you it sucks up in a truggy. a friend of mine owns a LST, which comes with the mach .26, took it out, installed it in the LSP, which BTW has the same gear ratio as the STR running a 50T center gear, and we took it out faster than what we put it in.

the STR comes with options, its more than suited to run a .21 sized engine. some do prefer a .28 like what was mentioned above, but the last thing i would suggest is running some Mach .26 up in your STR. JMHO.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:51 PM
wide_open247

I have mach .26 in my T maxx, and by the performance, that is where it is going to stay. Its a good motor, but not for a truggy. I prefer the nice .21's, they are legal and the have enough power. I just put a RB ws7iii in my SP2 and its got loads of power, starting to get me into trouble. My P5X in my ST-R is perfect for me
Old 08-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Philster

The Picco P3-28 is a huge step forward over other Piccos. I have it in my Inferno GT and it makes high-end .21 owners (Novarossi, etc) scared. I haven't run it in a buggy, but the Inferno GT is a 7.5 buggy with different shocks.

From watching these guys race buggies, I cannot imagine the Picco getting out gunned on the tracks I saw. The standard answer is to always recommend a high-end .21 screamer. Maybe that'll change.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:19 PM
rcboxer

noximus, first of all i didn't say anything sucks! read more carefully. I did not suggest it to anyone, all i did is state i have a mach .26 and i love it. And buy the way yes i have driven an st-r. i bought a kit online put it together myself and drive it. Like i said my friends have the motors i mentioned in their truggys and i don't see anyadvantage they have. and yes i have driven them too
ORIGINAL: noximus

ORIGINAL: rcboxer

so you never owned one, but you think it sucks and you are suggesting a Mach .26? have you driven the STR yet? have you seen the Mach .26 up in a truggy as of yet? i have, and i will tell you it sucks up in a truggy. a friend of mine owns a LST, which comes with the mach .26, took it out, installed it in the LSP, which BTW has the same gear ratio as the STR running a 50T center gear, and we took it out faster than what we put it in.

the STR comes with options, its more than suited to run a .21 sized engine. some do prefer a .28 like what was mentioned above, but the last thing i would suggest is running some Mach .26 up in your STR. JMHO.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:56 PM
noximus

My other two friends have the new novarossi's and I wasn't really impressed. then again i have never had one.
thats exactly what you said, you said you werent impressed (ok you didnt say they suck) but you never owned one.

again, i wonder why some of the top drivers in the entire world havent caught on to your theory, considering most of them do drive RB, Novarossi, OS. let me know when you see somebody at that level sweep the field with some Mach .26! as you said, you dont see the point on spending good money on a novarossi.

as you dont understand why people want to buy expensive engines, well i dont understand why people think they could jump on a race track with some toss and go motor and think they will surpass any motor on any givin race day.

or i dont understand why people are more than willing to spend 640-700 dollars on a truggy like the STR and then go low budget on one of the more important items to go on your kit. (motor)

glad you found some motor that only cost 100 dollars that could out perform these novarossi engines, cause i still cant find one. more power to you and have fun with your STR!
Old 08-25-2006, 05:33 PM
rcboxer

Well i'm sorry if you misunderstood me. THe reason i said i wasn't impressed was because i couldn't tell the difference on the track. I do know the the expensive motors are better quality, i understand that. In fact I would buy one if I had the extra cash but I spent it on my st-r so I had to buy a less expensive engine. I would like to buy a MR NINJA someday but cant afford to now. And of course the TOP drivers in the world are going to use the best engines they can get, thats a no brainer, but not everybody is a top driver in the world and not everbody is sponsored and gets free engines. and I DIDN"T SAY the mach .26 will surpass other the expensive motors. I just don't see much difference on the track. Maybe its more about driving I don't know. I like the engine because it is cheap and it is fast, has some bottom end and it is easy to tune. I get around the track fast with it.[sm=thumbup.gif]
ORIGINAL: noximus

My other two friends have the new novarossi's and I wasn't really impressed. then again i have never had one.
thats exactly what you said, you said you werent impressed (ok you didnt say they suck) but you never owned one.

again, i wonder why some of the top drivers in the entire world havent caught on to your theory, considering most of them do drive RB, Novarossi, OS. let me know when you see somebody at that level sweep the field with some Mach .26! as you said, you dont see the point on spending good money on a novarossi.

as you dont understand why people want to buy expensive engines, well i dont understand why people think they could jump on a race track with some toss and go motor and think they will surpass any motor on any givin race day.

or i dont understand why people are more than willing to spend 640-700 dollars on a truggy like the STR and then go low budget on one of the more important items to go on your kit. (motor)

glad you found some motor that only cost 100 dollars that could out perform these novarossi engines, cause i still cant find one. more power to you and have fun with your STR!
Old 08-25-2006, 05:57 PM
noximus

Well i'm sorry if you misunderstood me. THe reason i said i wasn't impressed was because i couldn't tell the difference on the track. I do know the the expensive motors are better quality, i understand that. In fact I would buy one if I had the extra cash but I spent it on my st-r so I had to buy a less expensive engine. I would like to buy a MR NINJA someday but cant afford to now. And of course the TOP drivers in the world are going to use the best engines they can get, thats a no brainer, but not everybody is a top driver in the world and not everbody is sponsored and gets free engines. and I DIDN"T SAY the mach .26 will surpass other the expensive motors. I just don't see much difference on the track. Maybe its more about driving I don't know. I like the engine because it is cheap and it is fast, has some bottom end and it is easy to tune. I get around the track fast with it.
right on, whatever works for you is what counts. maybe i did misunderstood you, my apologies. either way it doesnt matter. glad to hear your set up fits you well.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Joebaby35
My Feedback: (14)

Has anyone had any experience with the STS .30 v2 engine? I hear they are finicky without the right pipe (the STS .28/.30 tuned pipe). What I like about this engine is it is capable of high revs like the .21 engines and you still have the big block torque.

I also read good things about the Trinity Drake Platinum .28 (part# TRI40016)

Any input is welcome.

!!!!!!!!!!!!Just trying to wake up this forum from it's slumber because I think it is a good topick!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a link to some videos of my Kyosho K3 with a RB .21 engine installed, I think is moves out pretty good and I am very happy with how easy it was to tune. Check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=joebaby35

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.