Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

some lsp questions...

Old 06-26-2006, 07:09 PM
800screws

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some lsp questions...

will hpi hellfire tires fit on stock lsp rims? can u replace the heat sink head on the rtr engine with another kind of head? if so which ones?
Old 06-26-2006, 07:20 PM
noximus

Default RE: some lsp questions...

i believe you can fit the hellfire tires on the stock LSP rims. and for the stock engine, i wouldnt waste the time or money in replacing the cooling head, i would just buy a new motor.

they sell novarossi T21BF 3 port for 179 dollars at www.rcbuggyshop.com that motor would blow away the stock motor and its a breeze to tune and is very durable. you will have to call from the website.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Turanden

Nox, what do you use for a plug in this motor and pipe? I am currently running a JP-1 and this last weekend an O'donnel 099 plug. I was only around 75 degrees and was real cold blooded. If I ran it myself it ran awesome, but my son runs it and has to take it kinda easy racing on our track so the 099 is just too cold for him. I am now going to try and run and O.S. 8 in it, but I have not had real good luck with any of my motors with that plug including even an O.S. RG. We only have about 15 tanks through it so far. I was running a 13 tooth CB which is just not enough top end if I was running it so I am switching to a 14. All of this is in a Kyosho SP1 buggy, but the plug part of this would not really matter whether it was a truggy or a buggy. Any suggestions?
Old 06-27-2006, 01:02 AM
noximus

that stock engine was iffy for me i tell ya...

when i geared it in for top end, i lost allot of low end snap..when i aimed for low end snap, i lost my top end..

you are on point by picking a JP-1 pipe for that motor, at least thats what worked for me, but i ended up going with aluminum clutch shoes cause that aided in low end and the 14t clutchbell helped out some, but i had to stay with a 13t clutchbell..the powerband on the stock motor just didnt seem right. i was also considering using some type of aftermarket cooling head, but after seeing some of the prices listed, i decided to invest in a motor worth working with.

but since its for your son, and if he isnt racing, then i say try using aluminum clutch shoes with a 13t clutchbell and a JP-1 pipe..you will be just fine on the low end grunt..but if you are still starving on the straights/high end..then give a 14t clutchbell a try...

i also had to run that motor HOT to get anything out of it..when i tuned that thing for performance, i was right around 270 degrees for some odd reason..

i ended up getting 5 to 6 gallons or so out of that motor.

i hope that helps some, but in case you dont know..when using aluminum clutch shoes, you basicly need to hit the edges a bit with a dremel, also i went at my clutchbell a tad bit with some fine sand paper after every run to try and make it nice and even...maintenance is a must with aluminum shoes.

here is a chart for glow plugs i came by off of this website which has helped me tons in the past and present, this can give you a general idea what plugs do what for what temps, size of engines, nitro content and so on:

http://www.outlawrc.com/glowplugs.htm

i always had a hard time trying to figure out what OS plug works best on certain engines..RB and novarossi and OD plugs are the way to go JMHO>
Old 06-27-2006, 01:06 AM
noximus

are you talking about the Novarossi engine or the .26 power factory stock engine? if you are talking about the stock engine, then look above, but if you are talking about the nova engine...let me know, thats a different set up..lol sorry about that, i will ask next time i post a novel..LOL
Old 06-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Turanden

Sorry man, I was talking about the Nova engine.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:10 PM
noximus

well, that engine will run great with a Mugen MSR 1005 pipe, or the werks racing 086 pipe, novarossi 086 seems to be the happy medium for that engine. usually runs best with the novarossi standard 6 plug..but however as you noticed, it depends what fuel content, outside temp, humidity..

the JP-1 actually robs that engines top end performance..

how big is your track? how hot does it get normally? humidity levels? all of those things can come into play when choosing a plug.

also, what i would use for a clutch with that engine is a fioroni turbo sliding clutch, and i will also use a 14t clutchbell if you have a relatively long straight, meaning 100-150 ft in length, and if you also have a relatively long straight, i would either use a novarossi standard 6 plug or a 7...if you dont have long straights, go with the C5 standard plug..the OD 99 plug has worked for me in the past..but generally, the standard 6 plug has worked best and has been a nice starting point for me depending on outside temp.

thats the set up i would use with that T21BF nova engine...

thats actually a great engine for the price, a definate sleeper....especially when its coupled with that mugen pipe.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Turanden

The track is a medium size track, couple fairly big jumps, and a nice long sweeper followed by a nice 100ft or more straight. That is about the only high speed section of the track, but it is also one of the best to make up or lose ground.

I only have the JP-1 pipe atm for it and other than getting a JP-2 possibly, I dont think I will be getting any other pipes. I am running a werks clutch on it atm, with the medium spring and about 1 thread showing which seems to be setup very closely to what the mugen shoes with 1.0 springs was. I have already switched to a 14 tooth clutchbell, but have not had it on the track yet.

I may have to look into getting some of the nova plugs after I burn through my 2 O.S. 8's. For the most part I am just looking to make this engine super reliable, easy starting, and be a great idler for my son, but also for the days he is not there to be nice and fast for when I race it.

The stock plug that was in it for breakup was freaking awesome. I would like to have another one of these, but I was afraid to stick with the breakin plug for fear of it going bad in the middle of the race, but now wish I would have just stuck with it. Any idea what the stock plug was? Once I got it warmed up with the 099 it was back to its great idling self, but if I just threw it on the starter and then plopped it on the track for him he would run for just a bit on the track and then it would die, ei. just too cold of the a plug.

Weather here in WI varies incredibly IMO. It can get super humid, be anywhere from 75 to 95, and most of the time can do this all in one day lol. It was a little damp out on race day and only around 75, but on a 90 degree day the 099 might work real good. I can run one of my buggies in the day time and have it tuned perfectly after warmup, 5 second LSN pinch, running around 240 and great snap and sound with just a little smoke. I can then run it around 7pm and depending on the day it will run real lean and just scream, or it is blowing enough smoke to keep the mosquitos down
Old 06-27-2006, 11:57 PM
noximus

what comes with that motor is the standard Tops T5/novarossi C5 standard medium plug...

that plug is ideal for that engine...or i should say the happy medium. from the sound of your description of the track set up, i would stick with the standard novarossi 6 plug like what was suggested. especially if you are going to throw a 14t clutchbell on.

if you dont want to get the above mentioned pipes, dont bother with the JP-2, between the JP-2 and the JP-1 for that motor, you are better off with the JP-1, well the JP-1 seemed to work better for me..you might get different results.

i have that werks clutch as well, its a nice clutch set up, and personally, you probably wont be able to tell a difference if you changed over to the fioroni clutch...plus that werks clutch is adjustable..either or works great with that motor..JMHO.

also them OS plugs never really worked for me as well..i always had better luck using novarossi/tops/rex based glow plugs.

hope that helps you out some.

i forgot to add, just sell those OS plugs to somebody at the track and get the right plugs for the motor...personally its not worth the aggrovation. also, what fuel are you running with that engine? i ran 20% OD with that engine..some have ran 30% OD.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:08 AM
Turanden

This has been a great help, thanks a ton. If the 5 was such a great plug, why would you still stick with the 6? This seems to be a cold plug much like the 099? Are you thinking the 5 is just a little too hot for it? I am thinking that maybe a warmer plug would be great for his style of driving, which is to never get over about half throttle, and really trying to ease on and off the throttle. The trouble with this style is that is seems to make the motor load up some, then when he does need a quick boost of speed to get onto the tabletop or clear the double it bogs first, then takes off. This motor is not near as bad and my daughters buggy with the Sportwerks .21, but it does still happen. I was thinking that maybe running a warmer plug would help with this loading up, but maybe I am wrong?
Old 06-28-2006, 12:20 AM
noximus

no you are right about the engine loading up with a colder plug initially..

however, when you add a 14t clutchbell, you are adding more of a load to the engine..also, considering the length of the straight, the outside temperature and so on..from what i have experienced..the standard 6 is ideal..but if you still have problems with the motor loading up or having problems starting the motor, stick with the stock plug...i just found the 6 plug to work best for me when the outside temps increased, or when i needed more of top end..

plugs are about 5 bucks each, i say buy both and see which one works best for your track environment...i went to two different tracks here locally, i noticed on my P5X i had to change from a standard 6 to a colder plug like a 7, just because one of the tracks were bigger in size.

the OD 99 plug is suppose to be equivelant to the nova/rex/tops 6 plug..but i noticed the 99 plug works better in 80+ degree outside temps..anything colder just didnt seem right for me..again, my humidity here locally might be different than your area to where you might get different results..

the C5/T5 might be your best bet..
Old 06-28-2006, 12:27 AM
Turanden

Awesome, I cant wait to give a couple of these a try!! So far this has been a great motor. Breakin was easy other than my starter box didnt care for the high pinch, but that is what you get when you have a crappy starter. I would really like to see what this motor would be like with a slight mod done to it. I could afford to get this done since I only payed 130 shipped for the motor brand new.

I did notice that after I put on the 14t cb that I was going to have to lean it alot, even with the switch to the OS8 plug. I only ran it 1/2 a tank, but even with leaning almost 1/4 turn it only got to 185 and was smoking quite a bit. I will have to play around with it some more to get it ready for this weekend. By the race after that I should have some Nova plugs to begin experimenting with.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:45 AM
noximus

yea its a nice engine..very nice for the price thats for sure!! where did you get your motor? did you get it from EBAY? if so, be carefull, a good friend of mine brought a P5 last year on EBAY, he opened everything up, took apart his motor to coat the crank/piston/rod with some after run oil...and he noticed some wear marks. from what it seemed, the individual took apart the engine, cleaned everything, pinched the sleeve and replaced the head and repackaged everything and sold it as "brand new"

but if you didnt get it from EBAY, then you got a hell of a deal!!

that motor will last a while, i dont have the motor anymore, another individual locally has it now and has 7 gallons on the engine..he said he will more than likely buy the exact same one.. i just like how my P5X runs over the 3 port..both nice engines, but everybody has their own personal likes and dislikes i guess.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Turanden

I got it off ebay, but after inspecting it when I got it here, it was definately new. I agree that they p5x is a great motor and definately better than the 21bf, but the p5x is prolly a little overkill for a almost 9 yr old
Old 06-28-2006, 12:53 AM
noximus

ORIGINAL: Turanden

I got it off ebay, but after inspecting it when I got it here, it was definately new. I agree that they p5x is a great motor and definately better than the 21bf, but the p5x is prolly a little overkill for a almost 9 yr old
HA definately an overkill for a 9 year old.

well, in order to really know, you would have to take apart your motor, you can repackage the engine in plastic easily, you can also take off the seal on the box without damaging anything...or sometimes people will say "it was a display engine"

im sure yours was perfectly new, but i was just giving you a heads up. im glad i was able to help, your son is a lucky little man thats for sure..lol i WISH i had such engine to play with when i was 9 years old..lol