Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
 Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread? >

Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

Old 12-03-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

Started tuning my brothers truck today. The ST is turning out nice! He bought the venom failsafe with temp, man that thing is nice. Anways, we got some air under it today

He changed the shock oil to 50wt which seemed to keep it stuck to the ground a lot better.

Here is a vid while we were trying to dial it in.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...nt=Mammoth.flv
Old 12-03-2006, 08:23 PM

I like the vid dude, looks like the thing took a couple of hard hits. Anything break on that outing? By the way, it sounds great (just like mine, besides the shifting cuz i have the center diff), and looks like that shock oil helps a bit. I might have to do that some day. I took my ST out in about 15 degree weather today (failed to get a vid), but let me tell you; the thing was freezing by the time I came in. The only busted parts I had was a bent shock tower (nothing major) and I cashed my on-board MIP temp gauge. Overall, it was a very cold day. Looks like you all had fun out there, hopefully you'll make some more vids soon.

PS I should have some pics of my truck (after my project) some time soon.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:27 PM

Thanks! yeh it was a bit chilly. about 28 or so. It has been unseasonably warm (around 55) so we were getting spoiled.

The truck held up great. Nothing broke. He has only broke one part on it so far and that was he pulled the bolt out of the bottom of a steering knuckle. It stripped the threads in the knuckle so he bought the aluminum pro knuckles. They are WAY better than the stock forged ones.

He has no experience jumping it so I was pretty impressed with how he did. The truck sits really low so if you don't get a perfect landing it bottoms out. When you get it right its really smooth.

What temp is your motor getting up to? His maxed at 230 which seems decent. I think it sounds like it could be leaned out a tad more, there is still a lot of smoke coming out under accel. We might still toy with it a bit more. I am liking the truck though!
Old 12-03-2006, 09:45 PM

Im glad that you're having success with the truck, always a good thing to hear. About my temps, you gotta remember that I'm running the XTM .28, not the 24.7. My temps could get upward of 300, which I despise in my engine. Today, I don't think they barely got past 200, but I'm not sure because the 100's place on my temp gauge was cashed. 230 definitely sounds ideal, that's what the factory says it should run at. I wouldn't do anything drastic to it if you're achieving those temps. You guys must have skills tuning and I suck, or my engine is wacko. Just kiddin, I don't know; but I'm very pleased to hear that you're having success.

PS Sorry to see that you busted an a-arm (from what it looked like in the pic, I just took a glance) on your MT2.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:20 PM

haha no my MT ran PERFECT except that my set screw in the yoke that runs to the front drive shaft came out so I only had 2wd which with the .18 CV-R just isn't possible.

That busted front arm was from my buddies truck. He just got an 18ss and had a problem today. was driving it and a stick went through his body and shut off his truck. wide open throttle and met up with a parking block....
Old 12-04-2006, 09:28 PM

Oh I gotcha, here's some pics of the truck by the way. More to come as soon as the holidays pass. (the toe/camber still need to be looked at and the body needs to be cut to fit with the roll cage)

Finally, that's all.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:44 PM

I'm diggin the wing! Where did ya get that from?

I see a lot of sweet goodies on there my brother will have to look into!
Old 12-05-2006, 05:23 PM

The wing, you can get all kinds. But mine is the X-Terminator wing mount (http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/149373.asp) but I see that they have an ST Pro wing mount here: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/149271.asp The wing can be found here: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/149522.asp It's a bit small, but I like it. Hope this helps and the aluminum upgrades are DEFINITELY worth it.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:59 PM

is the surefire .32 a good racing engine for a mammoth st and will it just drop right in
price range $200 or below

any other good racing stuff

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...&pn=RCESF10000
Old 12-05-2006, 07:03 PM

still got the stock tires those things were out so fast

what bumper is that and were did u get it

lookin good
Old 12-05-2006, 07:46 PM

IMO the Surefire would be a gas guzzler. I would go with the XTM 457, and you can even get that modified by Dadders (www.dadders.net). The 457 is really good for the money. It will be a direct fit too, just like you want. I do have the stock tires still, but I'm planning on getting a Pro-Line set of tires on 241 rims from Blue Groove RC Concepts. (still 17mm) The bumper could be found here, its the XLB front bumper: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/149906.asp. Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any further questions.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: ssj2
excellent shot of the gas cans

With respect to the engine upgrade mentioned above, I also think the 457 would be a good choice. I just blew up my 24.7 and am planning on going with an Ofna force 32 though. I'd do the 457 because I think the power would be very similar, but I like the idea of bigger displacement . I'm also a fan of Ofna engines as they've never done me wrong.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:34 PM

Oh the gas cans, they're beautiful aren't they? Nice to know that the Ofna engines are something to look into. I never talked to anybody with experience on them, and always thought they were so-so. I guess I learned that they are very reliable, good to know. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Banned

They've certainly been reliable for me. I've had two. One was in my 1/8 buggy (thunder tiger mirage, very old). I beat the living hell out of that engine, overheated it many times (was learning my carb adjustments) and it kept coming back for more. Tuning was very easy and it always started right up.

From my research, the force 32 should be a straight drop in for the ST. We'll see when I order one (should have it beginning of january).

My next concern with upgrading to a bigger engine is the drivetrain. The strenght of the ST drivetrain leaves much to be desired IMO.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:40 PM

When I got my XTM .28, I thought the difference may not be that great. Then one day while running, I discovered I lost my 4WD. I looked at the truck and realized that all the drive cups on the truck were U'd out. I floored the truck when I first got it because I was a noob and didn't know any better. I really think that a bigger engine means you gotta do something with the drivetrain; I've yet to see anybody really come up with anything. I should look into doing something, but for now, I just can't beat on the truck as hard. I don't really want to have to replace the drive cups again because of noobish stupidity. If you come up with something, post pics, tell me, whatever it takes please. Thanks man!
Old 12-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Banned

Yeah, I've replaced many drive cups myself...all worn badly from the stock 24.7. I wonder if there are cups for a different vehicle that could be used. My mirage never had problems with the drivecups wearing out and they were seeing nearly the same power as the XTM ones. When I do the engine upgrade I'm going to look into some other cups. 8x16mm bearings seem to be pretty common in most buggys/truggys, so most drivecups should have that same 8mm inner diameter. Then there are the rear axle shafts...the cups on those wear pretty quickly too.

My next concern would be the differentials. I wonder if cryotreating the gears would extend their life any. Although, proper shimming does seem to keep them in check.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:29 PM

I actually called XTM CS and let them know about the drive cup issue. Either way you have it, even if they're from another vehicle; you still have metal against metal. There's no two ways around it. I think it's just something you have to cope with and accept. I would imagine that the proper shimming should to the trick on the diffs, I don't think there's anything more that needs to be done. Mine haven't crapped out yet, even with the XTM .28.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:59 PM

POST MORE!!! MAMMOTH ST IS VERY GOOD FOR THE PRICE!!! AND HAS MAJOR POTENTIAL!
Old 12-18-2006, 09:07 PM

well in all honesty we are having durability issues. We took the trucks out to the track on saturday and the Mammoth came back limping REAL bad. First the 4wd went out but my bro kept driving it. About 15 minutes later the truck would rev without moving.... not good. I took a peak at it after we were done and it seems to be in bad shape. The 2 speed is definitely gone. You can just spin it, I also think both the diffs are gone. You can spin both front tires one way and the diff yoke leading to the tranny does not sping. The rear end does the same thing. I think he stripped them both and trashed the tranny.

Do they make any beefier diff gears? Hardened steel or anything? I'm sure proper shimming will help a lot. He is going to be gettng the single speed tranny. There were a few other Mammoths at the track and they said that was the first thing they did was pull out the junky 2 speed.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:52 PM

yay i got my 457 in my truck i got it early 4 christmis

now i have 30% nitro will that affect the break in????
Old 12-18-2006, 10:23 PM

I would stay with 20% nitro for the break in. XTM recommends 20% nitro anyway for standard use. After break in you could go 30%, just run a gallon or so of 20% and then go up to 30% after the engine settles in. Have fun!
Old 12-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Banned

I just received my Ofna Force .32 today. It's a direct bolt in to replace the 24.7, just transfer over the flywheel/clutch assembly. Hopefully my new clutch shoes come in tomorrow so I can break this think in Saturday. My expectation is that this motor will be in the same league as the XTM 457, simply put....balls to the walls power

Concernning break in, don't use more than 20% (per my XTM manual). Also, I don't think 30% is really worth it. Around here it costs significantly more than 20% and the power increase doesn't make up for that xtra money. Just my opinion. Good luck with break-in

Dave
Old 12-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Banned

www.hobbypeople.net sells steel gears, $25 a piece

ORIGINAL: nickrummy

well in all honesty we are having durability issues. We took the trucks out to the track on saturday and the Mammoth came back limping REAL bad. First the 4wd went out but my bro kept driving it. About 15 minutes later the truck would rev without moving.... not good. I took a peak at it after we were done and it seems to be in bad shape. The 2 speed is definitely gone. You can just spin it, I also think both the diffs are gone. You can spin both front tires one way and the diff yoke leading to the tranny does not sping. The rear end does the same thing. I think he stripped them both and trashed the tranny.

Do they make any beefier diff gears? Hardened steel or anything? I'm sure proper shimming will help a lot. He is going to be gettng the single speed tranny. There were a few other Mammoths at the track and they said that was the first thing they did was pull out the junky 2 speed.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:05 PM

happy to see people getting ready for power, my 457 is amazing, i used 25% nitro during my break in, n' to tell u the truth, didnt see anything wrong with it, and break it was perfect. make sure to get extra diff shims, as with the added power, u may need them, which was my case. now be careful, the 457 is a big leap from the tiny 24.7, and seriously, its totally worth it, and that ofna force .32 is also pretty good. u may wana switch out the 2speed for a center diff if u wana do like track with jumps, but if ur mainly doing speed runs, u should b fine.

p.s, if u start to hear craking, or weird noises, its prolly ur diffs that need 2 b shimmed, because of the added power :]
juz means ur engine is running good and strong :]]]
Old 12-22-2006, 06:10 PM

I have something that some of you may have seen in the classifieds. Unfortunately, I'm selling my Mammoth ST, it was my first truck and it's been hard for me. I might be getting the Mugen MBX5T Prospec in place of the ST. Don't worry though, I'll help anybody that needs anything with the ST considering I'll never forget it. It's been a so-so "road" with this truck and I just needed something new. If you have any questions, I'll still check up on the ST threads though so it's not like I'm ditching the ST stuff altogether. The 457, great engine for the money and I would definitely recommend buying the single speed if you're going to be jumping. There are new bevel diffs/spider diffs out from XTM which are available on HobbyPeople.net. They come standard in the Mammoth ST Pro Kit, and many people are saying that it is a great upgrade. The diffs, I don't know, mine have been fishy too. I just say buy the spider diffs and get it over with, you'll get more durablity along with a longer lasting differential. Good deal. Sorry and good luck to all!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.