Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
 Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread? >

Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

Old 01-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

ORIGINAL: ssj2

If you were into jumping or worried about stripping gears, you would feel that same way all of us with the single speed do. I gotta hand it to you though, I like the 2 speed too, I just didn't wanna wreck it and have to replace it all.
yeah, if you're going to be lifting all 4 off the ground it won't last, but for a fairly level dirt surface it is pretty sweet. It's definitely not fun buying and installing a new set of gears each time you strip them out.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:53 PM

yeh I figured I could always make something up for that emtpy space but thought there would be a more "professional" way of doing that.

I did notice that in the Mammoth's manual it looked like they had replacement single speed pinions to use on the 2 speed clutch bell. The 2 speed pinions unscrew off the clutch bell and you would screw on a new single speed clutch bell. For now I can just make a spacer.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:06 PM

I just fixed that clutchbell problem with (2) 5mm ID washers.

It's been a while but the truck is coming along. He was short on change and dadders.net took 3 weeks to send out his brace. They said that they had moved and were behind. He sent them an email today that he wanted a refund if they couldn't send the brace out in a few days. He got a reply with a tracking number. Strange how that works...........

Anyways. When we were putting the truck back together we noticed something wasn't right.

So he also bought the rcvisions hinge pin retainer set. I had it at work today and drilled out all the new screw locations and countersunk them all. We are gonna put it together tonight. Probably won't finish it though since we are gonna wait on the dadders brace to get here.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:56 PM

That's quite unusual how Dadders is taking that long to do business with you all. However, he's a great guy, so is Jerry over at RC Visions. Those 2 upgrades are really valuable, I had both installed on my truck. The braces more though.I'm glad to see your bro's truck is coming along and I hope he doesn't suffer as many setbacks now that he has those upgrades installed. If you're interested in a-arms, you might want to try www.bigairproducts.com, they're expensive but you try to break them. You can get either racer or basher, basher adds on more weight though. Brady (big air) does great business too and I definitely wish you luck in assembling the truck back together. I myself have just picked up a race Revo so I'm busy with that. Good luck to you though and I'll be waiting for some pics and possibly a video maybe.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:58 PM

There will definitely be video when it's all together. Dadders said they were moving locations and he was behind. It was just strange that the day my bro sent out an email for a refund one got sent out.

Here are a few pics of the progress. What front bumper were you using on your ssj2? Didn't you have a smaller version?

Old 01-23-2007, 01:55 PM

Does anyone know what size bearings this bellcrank setup uses? He ordered it but didn't get bearings and putting the stock bushings back in is useless. I don't have the bushings with me right now or I would just measure them. I want to say they are 6mm x 10mm x 3mm.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/149456.asp
Old 01-23-2007, 06:09 PM

First off, I have the bumper taken from the XTM XLB seen here: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/149906.asp
It works and it takes up less space going outward than the stock ST bumper which I kind of dislike.
You posted up a link to an alumium steering servo, here's one that's a little more expensive with bearings and everything for 1/8 XTM vehicles. http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/149454.asp
Are those the bearings you're looking for? Because then you could just buy that servo saver set and have everything included. I'm not really sure on this question, you might want to give XTM Customer Service a ring if the link I gave you isn't what you're looking for. I would definitely get some aluminum a-arms from the looks of it and it's good to see that everything is coming along. It's gonna piss me off like hell now about that bellcrank bearing/bushings, argggghhhh. [:@] Sorry if that link didn't help you but at least I got the bumper taken care of. Feel free to send me another PM or just reply and ask anything else you want. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:01 AM

well he already bought that servo saver kit that doesn't include the bearings which is why I was needing the bearings. It doesn't say what size bearings are included in that link you sent me. I have a set of calipers at work I just haven't had time to stop at his house and bring one of the bushings in to size it.

Did you go through a-arms a lot? He's dropped a lot of money in this thing already so I think he is going to run it the way it is for a while. Hopefully he doesn't beat it to much because if he breaks something else I think this thing might "accidentally" catch on fire if you know what I mean. He's going to pick up a few extra parts some guy is selling. He has a stock new chassis, 2 speed tranny with steel spurs, practically new set of pro line dirt hawgs on black dish wheels (for bashing), practically new stock set of wheels and tires and a brand new diff with the bevel gears in it, 24.7 cooling head and carb all for $130. sound like a decent deal? I think it is.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:11 PM

That's quite unusual that they don't specify what size those bearings are. Very strange. I'm really not sure though, I'm sorry about that. However, if you haven't opened the package of the servo saver, you can always return if that's possible. Then, just buy the link I sent you. Or you can always call XTM and just ask what sized bearings come in that package. I've never busted an a-arm, but from the looks of it, he's going to if he keeps on bashing. It's bound to happen sooner or later with the plastic, especially if it's cold out. In the cold, you break things you never thought would be possible to bust. I busted a shock end on the new Revo by just running it up and down the street. [sm=confused.gif] As for chassis, you can always look into the 7075 aluminum one which I had. Slight weight reductions and it's tougher than stock. That's a good deal what you got there. The tires/wheels and cooling head may have surpassed $130 if bought separately. You got a steal there, nice. Good luck with the truck, tell your bro I hope everything works out.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:16 PM

Sorry to but in...But im looking for some help with this Mammoth I have, it keeps destroying the cvds?? I keep buying the sets from the model shop, but this has happeded 5 times now, always the front ones....Has anyone else had this problem?? If so is there a cure?? Are there better CVD's (toughened ones) available as a Hop Up????
Old 01-28-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the CVD's doing? You may need to rebuild the diffs with oil and new outdrives. How old is the truck?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:58 PM

The truck is brand new...it has only had about half a gallon through it?? They are losing a pin at the front, or they just sheer in half, Im not giving the truck too much stick, so no big jumps, not even warn a spur gear down.

What do you think the problem is?? Are there upgrades available for the truck, even 3rd party one.

Cheers for any help you can give

Stuart
Old 01-28-2007, 04:04 PM

my truck did the same thing. I just bought some metal rod the right diameter and made my own. Mine sheered off when I stripped the bottom out of the steering knuckle. I replaced the pin with the rod I bought and upgraded to the pro's aluminum knuckles. Haven't had a problem since.

ORIGINAL: DiscoStu666

The truck is brand new...it has only had about half a gallon through it?? They are losing a pin at the front, or they just sheer in half, Im not giving the truck too much stick, so no big jumps, not even warn a spur gear down.

What do you think the problem is?? Are there upgrades available for the truck, even 3rd party one.

Stuart
Old 03-17-2007, 10:40 AM

may you guys may be able to help me. i just replaced the shoes( 3 shoes set up) in my mammoth amphibious( i think it is what it is called,,, not the st) but the damn thing wont go anywhere. i thnk the pinion is slipping but im not shure. it will idle and rev good but wont go no where. can anyone help me please.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: DiscoStu666

Stuart
Make sure you loctite the set screw for the pin and make sure the set screw is seated on the pin's flat spot. You also need to make sure you don't overtighten the set screw. After losing one pin, I went back through and used loctite on all of the pins and I haven't lost another one yet.

ORIGINAL: underwaterboy82

may you guys may be able to help me. i just replaced the shoes( 3 shoes set up) in my mammoth amphibious( i think it is what it is called,,, not the st) but the damn thing wont go anywhere. i thnk the pinion is slipping but im not shure. it will idle and rev good but wont go no where. can anyone help me please.
When you give it throttle does it sound like the clutch is engaging? If your flywheel nut might not be on tight enough. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:54 PM

you guys really know your stuff so here is a problem for ya

the only thing i have done to my car is put in an os .21and a new mg servo with 190oz of torque, and a 290cc fuel tank
my mammoth st has the following problems
-wont shift into second and i have tried to adjust it(i want the center diff but what is the top speed with it?)
- steering sucks at speeds in excess of 20mph
-front wheel are easily knocked side to side on slightly rough terrain
-engine runs at 245 degrees but still is to rich
-chassis flex
-bottoms out easily on small jumps(2-3 foot ramps)
-grinding sound when brakes are aplied at hight speeds(which isnt very fast cause it doesnt hit 2nd gear)
-spur gear stripped out when i rolled the car
Old 03-27-2007, 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: wing man

you guys really know your stuff so here is a problem for ya

the only thing i have done to my car is put in an os .21and a new mg servo with 190oz of torque, and a 290cc fuel tank
my mammoth st has the following problems
1-wont shift into second and i have tried to adjust it(i want the center diff but what is the top speed with it?)
2- steering sucks at speeds in excess of 20mph
3-front wheel are easily knocked side to side on slightly rough terrain
4-engine runs at 245 degrees but still is to rich
5-chassis flex
6-bottoms out easily on small jumps(2-3 foot ramps)
7-grinding sound when brakes are aplied at hight speeds(which isnt very fast cause it doesnt hit 2nd gear)
8-spur gear stripped out when i rolled the car
1 -Check your two-speed and make sure nothing is broken, but if you are thinking about getting a center diff I would recommend getting one. I was skeptical when I got mine, but the handling improvement negates the negligible loss in top speed. I went with a 15t clutch bell.
2 -If you haven't already, think about putting diff oil up front, the factory red jelly just doesn't let the front end pull the truck around a turn like it should.
3 -Tighten up your servo saver spring.
4 -Look for an air leak somewhere I guess, for some reason I can't think of anything on that right now, sorry.
5 -Buy/make a chassis brace for at least the back end. You can get the new rear chassis brace for the ST Pro, buy braces from Dadders.net (absolutely incredible), or go my route and make them. My profile has a view from the top that shows my braces. I can upload more pics if you want.
6 -Check and make sure your shocks are full of shock oil, the stock shocks are notorious for leaking. I ended up going with Ofna Big Bore shocks and I'm glad I did.
7 -Check your brake pads and caliper.
8 -Make sure your chassis isn't bent and your gear mesh is good. Once you get chassis braces on it you won't have to worry about that anymore.

Hopefully that helps you out!!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Banned

that grinding sound is probably due to your differentials (front, rear, or both). they're typically not shimmed properly from the factory.

those 2spd trannies are pretty simple, how are you adjusting it? Turning the set screw out (counterclockwise) will make it shift sooner. Might want to take it out and inspect it.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:18 AM

anyone know what gear ratios will give me good excelleration but still keep a resonable top speed for a center differential in the mammoth st?

i have an os .21 in the car and want to get the center diff but i dont race the car so i was looking to get rid of the two speed trany because mine wont work for some reason

i have to buy a 65 tooth center diff so i am looking to change the pinion geat size, i have never done anything like this before, its pritty much the only thing i havent done with my cars so i need help!
Old 03-31-2007, 09:48 PM
Banned

well, with your 2spd you also had a 65t gear (1st), so you've seen how fast it goes in 1st. What was the 1st gear on your clutchbell? Probably 12 or 14T. With your center diff, I think a 14T clutchbell would be pretty good.

have you ever considered trying to fix your 2spd or having it repaired by someone? I have a feeling that it's something simple. Those trannies aren't too complicated.

new 2spd's pop up on ebay from time to time...here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-XTM-MAMMOTH-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-01-2007, 08:42 AM

yeah, finally, nice 2 see the mammoth st page on the first page of forum, lol, so i thoght i should ask a question

ok, so i have the xtm 457 engine in, i am sick of replacing pull starts, so can anyone help me on which roto start i should get?
i have a starter box, but i hate carrying that around for just bashing, i mean, its great for track, but when im in the woods, i dont bother to bring it. anyone help?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Bhouse3000

yeah, finally, nice 2 see the mammoth st page on the first page of forum, lol, so i thoght i should ask a question

ok, so i have the xtm 457 engine in, i am sick of replacing pull starts, so can anyone help me on which roto start i should get?
i have a starter box, but i hate carrying that around for just bashing, i mean, its great for track, but when im in the woods, i dont bother to bring it. anyone help?
Been ther done that... these 3 parts are what ya need. The 457 has a larger back plate than the 24.7, so ya need ta replace ir with a 24.7 backplate, add the HPI roto to it, and use the shaft, and reverse a drill and BAM start yer engine

XTM backplate # 148217 search hooby people, tried but their site sucks butt ahh found it http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/148217.asp
87116 Roto shaft HPI http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...16&FVPROFIL=++
87117 Roto start http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...17&FVPROFIL=++

Email me I may have some sitting around

Stav
Old 04-04-2007, 12:53 AM

im have a mammoth st with an os .21 engine and a digital steering servo

i am haveing two problems
-first, the car wont turn unless at very low speeds( the servo i have has 190 oz of torque at 6.0v) i am thinking this is because of the abnormally large tires( i have the stock tires) if so what tires do you recomend and were can i get them(i would apreciate a pic if possible)

second, i like the two speed but it seems to lag on the track( i race a small tight track so i need off the line power) i have herd alot about a center differencial but what is the top speed with it. like i said i have an os .21 in it and that problably changes the top speed but i just need an estimate of the top speed with the center diff

thanks

pin it untill you run out of ability
Old 04-04-2007, 01:41 PM

well, hte main problem with the car not turning is basically the abnormally wide tires and the fact that your going fast, or your servo is not getting enough power or doesnt supply enough power. also, you might want to check out ur servo saver, it might be too loose.

also, if ur running on a small track, just tighten the nut in the 2speed so that your truck doesnt shift into 2nd, and that way it acts similar to a center diff.

if i would say anything, it would be to get a better engine, a .21 isnt really powerful enough to power a big mammoth st. personally, i'd say to get the xtm 457 for $150, which is really inexpensive, and it has INSANE power. ud be very surprised
Old 04-04-2007, 04:21 PM

Well, for the steering servo, I highly recommend the Hitec 5955TG with the stock tire setup. Those tires are wide and huge, and the 5955TG, offering 333oz of torque is more than enough to turn those things with power and speed. It's a great servo, a little expensive though for people who are on a limited budget. If you don't like the 2 speed on short tracks, then I would just upgrade to the 50T center differential. Temporarily, it's okay to tone down the 2speed but I would really just buy the center diff and hang on to the two speed in case you want to switch back sometime. The engine, yeah, a .21 isn't going to offer you what a .28 in the mammoth can do. I would also say to get the 457, I've heard nothing but good things on the XTM forums. One guy swears by the thing every post about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.