Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

Old 05-04-2007, 07:12 AM
Jerseyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

Can you help me. I find the rear diffs slipping and noisy. When I strip I dont see any problem. Any of you guys experience this problem? How do you solve a noise rear diff. I think its the pinion gear slipping on crown.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:26 AM
IARacer

You need to shim the diffs to keep them from clicking. Racernine.com has a very good explanation of how to do it. http://www.racernine.com/outlaw5.html
Another way to fix it is to get a center diff.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:20 PM
simon3g

a buddy of mine is looking into getting a mammoth st, we were wondering if the exhaust pipe can be easily replaced and which ones you would recomend....... please help, no two cents is too cheap.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:26 PM
DiscoStu666

Hi,

I use to have a mammoth...strangely enough, I couldnt get on with it. It kept smashing the front CVD's and no matter how often I replaced them it use to eat them!! Mind you it was fast like you wouldnt believe. I was impressed with it speed, but I did not like repairing the front CVDs nearly everytime it went out. I wasnt even jumping the thing!

Stuart
Old 05-29-2007, 05:03 PM
ssj2

a buddy of mine is looking into getting a mammoth st, we were wondering if the exhaust pipe can be easily replaced and which ones you would recomend....... please help, no two cents is too cheap.
It all depends on what you want out of your engine. I'll just assume you want something for all around so I would recommend the Jammin JP-3, it's a little pricey but it will do wonders as far as improved performance. There's more expensive pipes but the JP-3 performs well, but at the same time, it's reasonable in price and should work on the stock 24.7 engine. If anything, you might have to do very minor modifications to get the pipe to mount the way you want it to.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:25 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Correction for ssj2.
Here's how the JP pipes works:
JP-1: gives you more torque; best for engine which lacks torque, or if you just want more torque.
JP-2: Gives you more topend. Best for engines such as the Axial, which have plenty of grunt, but lack top-speed.
JP-3: Boosts the midrange. If you have good acceleration, and good topend, but your midrange is flat, this pipe is for you.

It's not a best all-around pipe, but each pipe has its purpose.

Just clarifying for you Steven.

P.S.: I also recommend the Hitech 5955TG, and I hope ssj2 likes his revo.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:04 PM
ssj2

All I said dude that the JP-3 would be his best bet for midrange/all around. You know that happy middle? Geez, the flaming and all that crap has gotta go. And it's HITEC, not "Hitech". Yes, I do like my Revo too, with the 18TZ, it's gonna be sick. I'm glad you're enjoying your servo and everything, I"m glad I could help you out. Just don't flame and all that because I only specified the JP-3 as a decent all around pipe for somebody who doesn't want a "biased" pipe if you will that leans towards one spectrum. Let's just let this lay...
Old 05-30-2007, 06:34 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Steven, nowhere did I flame you out. I simply stated what each pipe does, so the man can choose for himself. After I saw this: "I'll just assume you want something for all around" I decided to help you out with your description of the product.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:37 PM
ssj2

Yeah, by all around I meant a mid range pipe. Something that would benefit not specifically the lower or higher end but something that would be a middle point. I know each function of each of the JP pipes, and I figured the JP-3 would be the best for DiscoStu. Just let it lay, done deal.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:12 AM
NIdaho Mudder

If anyone is looking i have a mammoth st forsale now Its ver nice just needs a pull start and has some upgrades
Old 07-09-2007, 08:16 AM
traxxasracer_4

ssj2 you're right the jp-3 is a GREAT all around pipe. i have run all 3 jp pipes on my axial .28 rr mammoth st and all are great but the best all around pipe is def. the one.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:18 AM
traxxasracer_4

sorry what i meant was the jp-3 is the best "all purpose" pipe
Old 07-09-2007, 08:19 AM
traxxasracer_4

but what happens when you assume? you make an a** out of u and me
Old 07-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Lilredmachine

I just pulled the trigger on a Mammoth ST. I was gonna go pro, but I don't have the back catalogue of radios and motors required to make the most of the chassis. I'm going to gradually hop it up to pro spec, center diff, chassis, braces etc.

It's a hot looking truck for the money, irrespective of the haters in here. I found the repeated bleats of 'save up a bit extra for a Savage or a Revo' positively hilarious. In the UK the Mammoth ST is about £220 (i got mine for £200) or about $380 US, the Savage X RTR is over £345, or about $680, the 3.3 Revo is about £330, or $640.

As you can see there is a fair old price difference over this side of the pond, and if the Mammoth needs a set of chassis braces at £35 and a center diff or even steel spurs for £30 a piece then it'll damn well get them for the money.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:57 PM
dittch
Banned

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

I just pulled the trigger on a Mammoth ST. I was gonna go pro, but I don't have the back catalogue of radios and motors required to make the most of the chassis. I'm going to gradually hop it up to pro spec, center diff, chassis, braces etc.

It's a hot looking truck for the money, irrespective of the haters in here. I found the repeated bleats of 'save up a bit extra for a Savage or a Revo' positively hilarious. In the UK the Mammoth ST is about £220 (i got mine for £200) or about $380 US, the Savage X RTR is over £345, or about $680, the 3.3 Revo is about £330, or $640.

As you can see there is a fair old price difference over this side of the pond, and if the Mammoth needs a set of chassis braces at £35 and a center diff or even steel spurs for £30 a piece then it'll damn well get them for the money.
I have to agree. I have had my issues with my mammoth ST, but for $350 US (hobby people price) you can't beat it. New buyers just need to be aware that you will most likely have to shim the diffs right out of the box.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:41 PM
63mammothst

my modded mammoth st
I painted proline crowd p. body from a jammin x1-crt. Fits good with body mounts flipped to outside of uprights.
bigair.com arms--awsome
rcvisions.com hinge pin retainers
i machined 7075 alum. center braces(work at machine shop), also machined wing mount-8eight and proline wings
center diff.(100k oil), shimmed orig.front(50k), shimmed orig.rear(30k), handles very good
hitec 5955tg steering servo---worth the high price, 90 oz.fatuba throttle/brake servo(forgot#)
alum c-hubs
mounted battery up front for better steering--seems to work good(might try to mount further back, next to fuel tank, on top of brace.
mugan alum. shoes with 1.1 springs
proline 1/2" offset rims with bowtie mtr's and panther camoto dragin Lp's.
offna offset rims with crimefighter mt's
axial beadlocks with bowtie 40's
just ordered an RB modified sts .30 and o.s t-2050 pipe.
now I just need more practice driving and racing.

older pic with orig. body, xlb wing and mount axial beadlocks.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:01 PM
devildog27

Nice I will have to send some pics of my mammoth I think everyone should go straight to a metal gear. I hate that the pin keeps breaking in the steering knuckle causing me to loose four wheel drive I would like to go to a dog bone set up any one know where I can get the parts?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:05 PM
devildog27

what type of wheels are they?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Harvz

How heavy is it now?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:05 AM
63mammothst

I checked it on two seperate scales, reads 10lbs even ready to drive with 290cc tank dry, proline bowtie mtr's, reinforced body(duct tape), original motor.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:01 PM
ssj2

ORIGINAL: 63mammothst

I checked it on two seperate scales, reads 10lbs even ready to drive with 290cc tank dry, proline bowtie mtr's, reinforced body(duct tape), original motor.
That's not such a bad weight for what it could be. Really, and nice truck BTW, I'm likin it!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:55 AM
nickrummy

Finally got my brothers truck back together and thought I would share a few pictures. It's a little dirty since he's been driving it. Taking it to the track tomorrow!

Old 08-27-2007, 07:07 PM
ssj2

ORIGINAL: nickrummy

Finally got my brothers truck back together and thought I would share a few pictures. It's a little dirty since he's been driving it. Taking it to the track tomorrow!

I'm happy to see you got everything back together alright Nick. Your bro's truck really looks great, perhaps you can get a little video footage when he takes it to the track tomorrow. Again, nice job on the build and thanks for posting those pics.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:29 PM
nickrummy

No video unfortunately. I am buying a new camera and testing out the one I want. It doesn't have vid so pics will have to do.

He only got a lap in before running into some steering problems. We couldn't get a plastic servo horn to hold up? You guys running aluminum?

This is all ya get for now!

Doh!

Old 08-29-2007, 12:56 PM
IARacer

ORIGINAL: nickrummy

We couldn't get a plastic servo horn to hold up? You guys running aluminum?
I think aluminum is a must for the servo horn. It also stiffens up the steering a little bit, I noticed the stock "arm" (if you want to call it that) had a lot of flex in it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.