Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
 Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread? >

Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

Old 09-08-2006, 07:17 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

if it is the OS #8 glow plug, then you may be in trouble. its too short for the engine, causing it to run very lean or be horribly out of tune. and i think 15% is a little too low. you should stick with 20% next time.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:47 PM

Yeah, 20% is actually recommended in XTM's instructions, and they also recommend either Trinity Monster Horsepower Fuel or XTM's fuel. However, any fuel, basically, with oil content that is between 10%-14% should be ok without giving you too much one-way bearing problems. I ran Blue Thunder and it gave me an extremem amount of one-way bearing problems in my PS. I really don't wanna experiment with fuel and I don't suggest experimenting because it's hard to get the truck running in the first place. I don't see how you would put that hard work to waste by experimenting w/fuels. Just my 2 cents though.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:58 PM

steven, it doesnt matter what oil percentage they recommend. words in a manual are just plain JIBBERISH. i mean come on, who reads the manual these days? only thing i use my manual for is for looking at the exploded diagram of the car. i doubt that the OWB was the blue thunder's fault. as long as your fuel is meant for cars, put it in. O'Donnell, Blue Thunder, White Lightning (eh), Traxxas Top Fuel, Sidewinder, Byrons, Trinity or any other ones are fine. as long as you know how to tune an engine and listen to other people's favorite brand, you are alright [&:] i personally would go with O'Donnell, just because it runs pretty cool and has explosive accelaration. did i mention that it smells good too? . this is my $200,000, not my two pennies
Old 09-09-2006, 07:53 AM

well, i was thinking of returning the fuel today, seeing as its only a quart, and returning the glow plug, seen as its to short, hahaa, and getting some 20% nitro fuel, in the gallon, and seeing if they have longer glow plugs, cold will work fine right? any you would suggest??? keep in mind, im getting this stuff from my lhs, so they will not have everythingg, so throw out a few brands
much appriciated
Old 09-09-2006, 10:05 AM

I don't know what to tell you Aznracer accept, me personally, I'm not in the frame of mind with my truck to start experimenting now. I already have to rip it apart over the winter which will prolly take long enough, I don't need some faulty mistake tacking on another job to my list of upgrades that I have to do. I agree that I should try other stuff, but I've had my truck for a long time, most of that time was sitting because I was a noob and didin't know how to do stuff. Anway, as far as glow plugs go, I use a McCoy 59 and XTM glow plugs. I would really recommend the McCoy's because mine has lasted pretty long. If you didn't get a glow starter yet, here's the one I have: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146045.asp It has the meter and everything so you should be ok.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:39 AM

ripping aprt your car doesnt take long at all . 2 days max for me, plus cleaning every single frikkin part with water and a towel.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:30 AM

That's probably 2 days that I don't have time for. It just takes too long, that's why I'm saving it for winter. I could see me starting and then holding it off which will just get me ticked.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:31 AM

I've always run Top Fuel in my Revo. I know this is the Mammoth thread, but fuel is fuel. The oil % doesnt matter in ANY car/truck. All it does is, Less oil, less lubrication and More oil, more lubrication. If you race, you want less lubrication, if you bash you want more lubrication, but less is fine too. Simple as that. 18% oil is recommened for my Revo, since Top Fuel has 18%, but once I tried O'Donnel it was unbelieveable. My Revo gained so much power that it wouldn't stay on all 4 wheels, I had to ease off of throttle if i wanted to do a high speed run. Also, with O'Donnel my engine ran so much cooler that I had to lean it out, which added even more power. Now, since I run with ssj2, I know how high his temps get, sometimes in the 300s, and he runs Byrons/Trinity. I'm sure if he would give O'Donnel a try, his temps wouldn't cross the 280 line.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:36 AM

Like I said, I'm really not willing to experiment because if something goes wrong you guys aren't the ones who have to deal with it, I do. In XTM engines, they're made differently and you get a crap load of OWB problems with 18%, and if you check out the tips thread on XTM, BT gives you the "low-down" on what to use. Maybe I should check Odonnel's but right now I'm stuck with Byron's until I get done with my 2 gallons. [&:]
Old 09-09-2006, 11:41 AM

I'm not saying to try a fuel with 18%. I'm saying to use O'Donnel, which i don't even think has 12%. XTM engines are made "differently" if you know what I mean[:'(]. Dude, you don't have to stick to one type of fuel because it is "recommended". You could try a different fuel, and if it doesn't work for you, then drop it.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:44 AM

Meanwhile, I've just spent how much for a gallon/quart of fuel to just "try"? Seems like that's throwing money away, I'd love to try it someday, but today is just not the day.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:49 AM

WOW! It's not called wasting money. You don't know how the engine will react to the fuel until you try it. If you never try it, your just gonna keep bit(hing about it. IDK, do what you want, but all I can say is, you will regret not trying O'Donnel.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:50 AM

HAHAHA
XTM engines are made "differently" if you know what I mean
wow, 3/3 people recommend O'Donnell, and your STILL not willing to try it? whoa. its not throwing away money...i mean come on, you have a job! and i dont...
Old 09-09-2006, 04:35 PM

<<That's what I think of people who don't try O'Donnel.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:27 PM

My problems aren't your guy's problems, try giving some people a break once in a while or you could just keep on beating the dead horse. I'm not gonna get into a flame war with you too, and I think this thead's now been ruined, too bad it was pretty good. Not everyone follows everyone else, I'm one of those people, and I like my fuel that I use, and XTM does use different metal while making their engines. Call what I'm doing what you want, I don't really care. Let's try to get back on topic here people.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-09-2006, 07:28 PM

well, hahahah, is really all i have to say, o yeah, i got new O'Ddonnell 25% nitro fuel today, and i got a glow starter from my friend wif new batterie, all i need know are some freaking AA batteries!!!! gahhh, seems like right when i get everything, i dont have everything, lol, i tried ones from my electric, but they are all almost dead, cuz i havnt rele used em in like a week, and they were low then, damn. anywayz, how would you know if you had one way bearign problems??? what are the symptoms????

when ever i pull the pull start, it like, gives one thing of resistance, then the rest of the line is no resistance, is this a owb problem??? if so, wehre can i get a one way bearing cheap, and how would i replace it, besides that, the truck is insanly nice
i cant wait to get it running, lol

please help me, a nitro noob, haha
Old 09-09-2006, 08:38 PM

I took this from the XTM fourms, it is the chart that suggests what fuel to use for XTM engines, notice how O'donell is on the bottom of what NOT to use. I would try to stick with what this chart says just to be on the safe side. The symptoms of a OWB problem is when you pull the pull start and it has resistance initially, but then you lose that resistance. OWB problems make it very difficult to start your truck, and fuel has something to do with it because of the oil content. Also, to prevent OWB problems, I would store your truck NOSE DOWN just so that the oil drains out of the pull start. Just stick with the fuels on the chart, unless you have a lot of time on your hands for experimentation. If you do have to replace a OWB (about 15 bucks or so) then you have the risk of the pull start springing out on you, and that will cost about 20 bucks for a new pull start. I think you get what I'm trying to say, so I wish you luck!
Tips, Fuel Recommendation for XTM Engines

20% Nitro is recommended, however they can handle more. Here is a good list of the best and worst. Obviously try to buy the good ones (12%-14% SCOB). But I do understand some Local Hobby Stores don't have a great selection

SCOB stands for synthetic/castor oil blend

Trinity Monster Horsepower
16% Nitro, 12% SCOB
20% Nitro, 12% SCOB
25% Nitro, 12% SCOB
30% Nitro, 12% SCOB

Trinity Platinum
20% Nitro, 10% SCOB
25% Nitro, 10% SCOB
30% Nitro, 10% SCOB

Wildcat Eliminator Car Race Fuel (also sold as Wildcat QuikFire, HPI Power Fuel).
Do not use the Eliminator or QuikFire plus versions!
20% Nitro, 14% SCOB
30% Nitro, 14% SCOB

Sidewinder Race Blend
16% Nitro, 12% SCOB
20% Nitro, 12% SCOB
30% Nitro, 12% SCOB

Sidewinder Pro-Race
20% Nitro, 10% SCOB
30% Nitro, 10% SCOB

Blue Thunder RACE Formula
20% Nitro, 14% SCOB
30% Nitro, 14% SCOB

Bad Fuels for the XTM engines, do not use if possible!
DuraTrax Red Alert: 18% SCOB
O'Donnell Ready-2-Run Sport Fuel: 18% SCOB
O'Donnell Racing Fuel: 18% SCOB
Wildcat QuikFire/Eliminator Plus: 18% SCOB
Traxxas Top Fuel: 18% SCOB (mostly Castor too )
Sidewinder Backyard Basher: 18% SCOB
Dynamite Blue Thunder: Not marked, assuming 18% as some articles/forums claim.

Source: Binaryterror
Old 09-09-2006, 09:05 PM

oooo gosh. never read by the book. try a tank of my o'donnell, if your engine blows up, then i will buy you a new one, or get a "DEAL" from XTM , if it runs like a raped ape, then im gonna laugh. very hard.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:14 PM

is a mammoth *ST* even a truggy? lol [&:]
Old 09-10-2006, 09:30 AM

haha, im not sure, i mean, the name has the "st" in it, so its possibly a stadium truck, but its giant, and designed like most other truggies, lol
Old 09-10-2006, 10:28 AM

The Mammoth ST is a truggy once you get a center diff installed, until then it's UMT I believe. I'm not sure but I'm just tossin around ideas. Jeff, let the guy do whatever he wants fuel wise, it's not really your truck. Different fuels work better in some trucks than in others, if he has problems then What do ya Know? and if he doesn't then Ok, i was wrong. Just quit the flaming, it really ain't worth getting you banned.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:51 AM

you spelled my name wrong

ok ill stop
Old 09-10-2006, 11:51 AM

He already bought the O'Donnel 25%. I'm sure he will love it.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:56 AM

Old 09-10-2006, 12:26 PM

ssj2

lol, jk, I found a website with all these smileys, and I feel like "test driving" them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.