Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

Old 09-10-2006, 01:20 PM
AznBash3r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

ahahahHAHAA good one.

does odonnell make 25%? cuz if they do, thats my next gallon of fuel. i dont wanna go 30%, but i will go with 25% sounds dumb doesnt it lol.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:29 PM
ssj2

Guys just cut the crap and get back on topic, quit beating the dead horse, let the guy do whatever he feels he should. I gave him my info, you gave him yours. Done deal, next question. [sm=idea.gif]
Old 09-10-2006, 06:29 PM
BAMF90

ahahahHAHAA good one.

does odonnell make 25%? cuz if they do, thats my next gallon of fuel. i dont wanna go 30%, but i will go with 25% sounds dumb doesnt it lol.
Yeah, they sure do. [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMGD8&P=7]HERE[/link] is the link, but that's the 4 gallon one, I'm too lazy to look for the single ones.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:30 PM
ssj2

With buying from Tower, the only thing is that you have to pay about 20 bucks for haz/mat on top of the price of fuel and tax. [:'(]
Old 09-10-2006, 06:33 PM
BAMF90

I never said he should buy from tower. I just showed him that they make it. DEE DEE DEE!

let the guy do whatever he feels he should. I gave him my info, you gave him yours. Done deal, next question
He already bought the O'Donnel!
Old 09-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Bhouse3000

yeah, i got my truck to fire up 2day (YAY) i just cleaned out the owb with rubbing alcohol, and now it catches after a fuel puls and fuel , anywayz, im having this problem (noob problem) i have to keep on blipping hte trodle, or els the engine will just shut off after a few seconds. what exactly do i have to do???

p.s, the O'Donnell 25% nitro is running strong nad cool, which i like (o yeah, juz 2 let u know, i got it at my lhs in gallons)
Old 09-10-2006, 07:56 PM
AznBash3r

lean out the needles. both low and high.
you dont have to pay fees for gallon of fuel, you can just 4 quarts. DEE DEE DEE

beating a dead object is fun. they dont complain about pain
Old 09-10-2006, 08:25 PM
BAMF90

Lean out your LSN a little. I think I understood you correctly. If I did, then yeah, just lean the LSN like 1/4 of a turn.

Edit: Actually, you might want to bring up the idle a little bit. It's kinda the "hidden" screw.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:37 PM
ssj2

Glad to hear you got the truck running, if you run into any problems whatsoever, don't quit on it. While I was going through break in I wanted to quit so many times, I had so many noob problems it was terrible. I had to have my LHS get me back on track a couple of times, they said once I got passed the break in and tuning it's really fun. That's where I'm at right now, it really is fun, I can just go out and run my truck in peace. Of course you'll have occasional tuning, but for the most part, it's fuel and go. Have fun!
Old 09-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Bhouse3000

should i tighten or loosen the idler screw?
Old 09-10-2006, 08:54 PM
ssj2

If you tighten the idle screw, it will cause the carb to open a little bit more, allowing your idle to be higher. If you loosen the screw, it will close the carb, therefore making your idle lower. According to your desciption of the problem, I think you want to tighten your idle screw.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:54 PM
BAMF90

Tighten it, but not much.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:28 PM
BAMF90

AznRacer says: Don't touch idle screw till the very end of break in.

I agree with that, but you can adjust it slightly, like a hair, to keep it running.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Bhouse3000

hi, my mammoth runs great, i kinda stripped my glow starter, so now it doesnt lock, so i really dont knwo when its in, or where to hold it, kind of a problem, cuz like, it takes 4ever to get it started now, untill i find the right spot, other wise, its just pulling, and pulling, lol, but when it is running, its runnign strong, finished the whole break-in, now when i floor the truck, it fly, only problem, when i go off of jumps, some timez i hear this tiny "click" noise, also, when im flooring it sometimes i hear that, and sometimez when i brake, can anyone help me out on this??? im thinking its the dogbones which go from the brakes to the front/rear diff boxes, cuz they do have a little play, is this bad???
anywayz... my truck doesnt shift, is it a 1speed trans i have in it now??? cuz i know the guy i got it from put in a newer better xtm engine, i juz duno wut, but i'll post pics up soon
Old 09-11-2006, 04:28 PM
BAMF90

The clicking you hear might be the gears skipping. Since you don't have whats called a slipper clutch(slips the gears on landings not to strip them) the gears skip instead. ssj2's also does this when he jumps(RARELY). You might have a 1 speed transmission(center differential). Look at the transmission and if you see 2 gears, then its a 2-speed, if you see 1 gear, then its a 1-speed. To adjust the shift point you have to find a tiny little screw on the transmission and turn it counter clockwise to have it shift sooner.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Bhouse3000

thanx man, then i have a 2 speed

edit: will hte skipping of gear hurt or strip my gears???? is this bad, or is this just what it does, because hwn a gear skips on my electric, it usually means bad news, and stripping
Old 09-11-2006, 04:33 PM
AznBash3r

when he jumps(RARELY)
aahahaha

do you take it off of good jumps? like nice and big ones? if you do, tell me how high youve gone, how far, what trick (i.e. quadruple backflip ), and what broke. if yoou jump it hard enough, theres a good chance NOTHING will break. foreal . just dont go too easy on the truck, cuz in my very super frikkin honest opinion, going too easy on the truck will just make you break more parts.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:14 PM
BAMF90

Well, its not bad because you dont have a slipper clutch and it is just trying to prevent itself from stripping. This shouldn't be much of a problem, so don't worry about it too much.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:21 PM
ssj2

When jumping, try not to land on throttle or brake also. Find that happy middle where you land without any throttle application and no brake application either, this well better prevent stripping of gears. The center diff is a pretty good investment if you're looking to race, and it's also a metal gear as opposed to the stock plastic gears. [:-]
Old 09-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Bhouse3000

is there any reason i hear that gear skipping noise when i floor it, also, i have never seen or herd the car shift into 2nd gear yet. i duno what the problem is, i know its a 2gear car, because the clutch housing has 2 different tooth type of gears, and it has what looks like 2 spur gears, i've also tried tuning that little grup screw inside the spur gear houseig, but nothing is working? any suggestions, mayb on how to make it shift sooner, if it shifts at all
Old 09-12-2006, 08:19 AM
dittch
Banned

ORIGINAL: Bhouse3000

is there any reason i hear that gear skipping noise when i floor it, also, i have never seen or herd the car shift into 2nd gear yet. i duno what the problem is, i know its a 2gear car, because the clutch housing has 2 different tooth type of gears, and it has what looks like 2 spur gears, i've also tried tuning that little grup screw inside the spur gear houseig, but nothing is working? any suggestions, mayb on how to make it shift sooner, if it shifts at all
I bought a used mammoth ST and the center diff's on front and rear skipped terribly. I had to buy a shim kit to get them to mesh correctly. If yours are skipping you might want to consider this. It will reduce it to almost no skip.

Also, I think you mentioned an upgraded motor? Which one? I have the stock .247 and in my opinion, going to a more powerful motor would probably make the gears skip regardless of how it's shimmed (that won't stop me from putting a 457 in there eventually )

On the 2spd tranny, are you adjusting the correct screw in there? There are 2 screws. The one you want to adjust is the smaller one. Turn it out (counter clockwise) about 1/2 turn at a time and drive to see if it shifts. It's very obvious when the truck shifts so you'll know when you're there.

If that doesn't work you might want to pull the tranny and take a look inside. The way it works is very simple. By loosening that screw you're basically lowering the load on the 2nd gear spring. That spring holds back a metal arm. As the gear turns faster, the centrifugal force starts to overcome the force of the spring. When this happens the arm starts to stick up and will catch a small pin in the 2nd gear housing, thus causing it to shift into second. If you're not shifting, I would think the most likely thing is damage to either that metal bar or the pin that it catches. A damaged spring would just cause it to be in 2nd all the time (the problem my first 2spd had before I replaced it)

good luck
Dave
Old 09-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Bhouse3000

yeah, i have the xtm 457 engine in mine, so your telling me to turn the little grub screw inside counter-clockwise to loosen it, is the correcT?
Old 09-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Bhouse3000

well, i solved the whole, 2nd gear thing, now it shifts, and is amazing, the speeds are insane

anywayz, now after about 2 tanks, sometimez 1 tank, the car gets extrememly hard to start, and sometimez it just doesnt start, does anyone know what i should do, but after leaving it ovr night, it just seems to start instantly the next day, lol
Old 09-12-2006, 04:11 PM
BAMF90

Im sorry to say, but the engine might have no compression. Check the flywheel and rotate it, if it feels hard to turn it over, then its fine. If it feels pretty lose then you might be losing compression, and it is time for a piston and sleeve or new motor. If it has compression then it might just simply be a tuning issue.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:55 PM
AznBash3r

check glow plug, glow ignitor, and make sure you put after run oil if your planning on storign your truck for 3 or more days. if you plan on running the next day, then dont put ARO, your wasting a bs amount of oil and money. gear clicking is mostly normal, just try to avoid gunning it. ditch the center diff unless your reaaaaly in need of something different. if your not gonna race, screw it. and btw, the stock spur IS metal....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.