Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

Old 09-20-2006, 11:23 PM
AznBash3r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can I Have an official Mammoth ST thread?

starter boxes are the best thing you could use. thats why racers have em. REAL racers . pull starts are a pain most of the time, and roto starts you will still have to carry it around. with a bump box, you can start all of your cars with one starter box. plus bump start backplates create less drag to the engine, really livening up your engine (you may not feel the difference at all, but the engine will thank you. and with pullstarts you have to worry about broken strings. roto starts, you only have to worry about the battery, which lasts a long time. i think roto is for sure better than pull start, and bump is better than all, if you have the money. the only reason why i was sitting in the park trying to start my car with a roto was because the engine was tuned horribly. now the engine starts like a breeze i might get an ofna starter box for my turmoil and Rush. time will tell

check this out http://www.chitownrc.com/showthread.php?t=4712
Old 09-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Bhouse3000

well, can anyone tell me if that one ofna roto start, with a backplate made for ofna, picco, and xtm .21-.28 will work with my 457??? i think it will, it has the same dimensions as the stock backplate, and i hate the pull start, mine gives me blisters, yumm, hhaaha
Old 09-21-2006, 03:59 PM
BAMF90

Just don't use rotostart, you will regret it. It spins the one way bearing sooo fast that it kills it. When an engine doesn't have a rotostart there to begin with, it's not meant to be put on.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:03 PM
ssj2

I wouldn't use the XTM Sure Start either (if you were thinking of that), because you'll run into the same problem with the roto start. However, I'm not too sure about the Tiger Drive, I've never tried it, but IMO I would stay with a pull start. Unless you have the money for a starter box, along with the memory of charging it, then go for it. An XTM 1/8 starter box should work.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:12 PM
AznBash3r

ofna chrome top is the wtg. roto start rocks. never had blisters from it
Old 09-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Bhouse3000

lol, i'll juz get extra one way bearings, because i run electric alot, and i have many 7.2v battery packs, and i'd juz use that with the roto start, and i can get one rele cheap, never used, $5 just to be exact, lol, from this one hobby store, it was hopened, and the actual shaft used, but backplate, and such, still in packaging so i'll juz try that out, cuz blisters suk, haha.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:24 PM
ssj2

BAMF already said this, but I guess I have to advise against getting a roto start too. If an engine didn't come equipped with a roto start, then I don't recommend buying one because I had all kinds of problems with my roto start on the 24.7. I just don't see how it could be good use of time tending to a roto start and chewed OWB's. Once you get the truck tuned the PS's are really great, I'm honest, I don't get blisters anymore. But it's your truck so I guess you can do whatever you want, I advise against a roto start but suit yourself. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:22 PM
AznBash3r

5 bucks if i used my sportwerks starter on the xtm (which i highly doubt will fit, sportwerks is too good) it will start like a charm. reason why your hpi roto start didnt work is because the motor had too much torque for the weak engine and engine quality. savage owners dont have this problem, because the motor is made from hpi, a trusted brand of engines. you shouldve used a 5 cell pack for the rotor start then lol. i even used a 2 cell lipo pack on my sportwerks starter and the engine started even faster. i think its just sportwerks

PPPPPPPPIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAA!!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:22 PM
BAMF90

Well, you can use a rotostart, but don't get the HPI one. It has too much torque, and is only good on the HPI vehicles. Also, do not use a battery with more than 2000mAh if you do plan on using rotostart. If you use a higher than 2000mAh battery, it will give the same amount of power consistantly, which is what will kill the OWB. If you can, get the Ofna one. But stay away from HPI. The XTM surestart might be good since XTM themselves came out with it, and if you have problems, just call XTM, and let them know about your problems. Good luck.

Edit: AznBasher copied me!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:24 PM
AznBash3r

nooooooooooooooo freshman.... mah has nothing to do with the power or efficiency of the motor. you could use a 10000000mah pack and it still wouldnt matter as long as its 7.2v, its just that the battery pack would be bigger than your car lol.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:44 PM
AznBash3r

copy cat. steven my truggy can wheelie.. whooaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 09-22-2006, 03:48 PM
BAMF90

my truggy can wheelie.. whooaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
SERIOUSLY?!?!?! You got it to wheelie??? I gotta see this today when we go to run.

I remember seeing the little wheelies when hitting the edge of the grass, but real wheelies??? WOW!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 07:27 PM
AznBash3r

unofrtunaetly, the silicone i put in the center diff sstill turns over the gears. theres a super limited turn on the differential, good enough to preotect my gears .
Old 09-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Bhouse3000

well,l i finally fixed my mammoth st, got new fuel lines, got new LONGER pull start rope, got new glow starter, and glow plugs, and leme tell you, i tuned this really good, and now it starts in 1 pull!!! most of the time, and tahts after 2primer pulls, i love it, im running more lean than rich, and it flys, but im getting alot more of the "gear skipping" noise, is this ok??? not a single gear on the spur, or pinion are stripped or look stripped, what exactly is making that noise?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:21 PM
BAMF90

The differentials are making the noise. You have to shim them properly or see if any 1/8 buggy style differentials fit to solve this problem. If nothing seems to be wrong after a day of running, then you should be fine and just not pay attention to it.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Bhouse3000

they make a lot of noise now, how would i go about shimming them properly??? can someone please run me through the steps, mayb an exploded view, or an ms paint drawing (LOL yeah, i do it alot, lol)
Old 09-26-2006, 05:46 PM
ssj2

If you're looking for an exploded view, that would be found in the manual that came with the truck. I've used it a couple of times, and it helped me out.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Bhouse3000

well, how do i shim it?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:19 PM
ssj2

I meant to say that I wasn't sure how in my last post, sorry about that. BAMF will probably know how to shim it, he knows a little more than I do. BAMF answer this guy!
Old 09-27-2006, 04:09 PM
AznBash3r

all you do is buy shims and put it on the diff shaft....
Old 09-27-2006, 05:19 PM
BAMF90

Yup, AznBash3r is right. All you do is put shims on the diff shaft.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Bhouse3000

any links to specific types of shims, or what size, i really dont know what im supposed to buy, lol
Old 09-28-2006, 10:19 AM
dittch
Banned

ORIGINAL: Bhouse3000

any links to specific types of shims, or what size, i really dont know what im supposed to buy, lol
buy the shim kit from hobbypeople for $2.50: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/148624.asp

You put the shims on the pinion gear going into the differential. They force it closer to the ring gear on the diff. I'd add 1 at a time and put it back together to see if there is any play. If you put in too many it will turn very tight. Mine took 3 in the front and 2 in the rear to mesh properly. I've heard some taking up to 6 shims. It's very easy to do.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Bhouse3000

Thanx alot man, this really helps
Old 10-28-2006, 10:30 PM
So Cal

I have an x-cellerator and love it. (hence my name) And am looking to buy a mammoth st. Why is the centerd diff a neccicary item? ALso how much of a beating can it take without the chassis braces...(doesent it already come with chassis braces?) And what elce shoud i get? (I read the first four pages of the thread and those where the only things i saw)

thanx
-Aaron

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.