Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

strengthening mod for LSP

Old 07-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Wizz Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strengthening mod for LSP

after being fed up with snapping brace after brace, along with the diff cases, screws, sway bars, and sway bar ends; and being to stubborn to buy the billet pieces, i experimented a little with ways to strenghten the LSP diff case. here is all that i used, sorry about the fuzzy pics[]:

2x- M3 Nylon Locknut- HPI Part# Z663

2x- M3x20mm Cap Head Screw- HPI Part # Z547

5/32'' Drill Bit and Drill

some sort of lockvise or vicegrip, best a C-Clamp.

1. Strip down to the diff case and purple brace.

2. Drill two 5/32'' holes, one in each far bottom corner.

3. Screw the brace on to the diff case and lock the plate down with the C-Clamp and drill through the brace with the 5/32'' bit using the previously drilled holes in the diff case as guides. BE SURE to clean out all the debris from the plastic and the aluminum plates, you dont want to find this in bevel gears!

4. Bolt the brace to the diff case using the 2 M3x20mm screws and M3 locknuts, and put the stock screws back in where they belong. Tighten the bolts enough so that the screw head sinks into the hole and the locknut is snug.

5. For the front brace atleast, you will want to cut the bolt so the front skid plate fits.

now you are ready to reassemble, and you already know how to do that. this mod has worked great for me for bashing and has held farther that the 2 stock screws ever would alone.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:18 PM
noximus

Default RE: strengthening mod for LSP

the problem is you still break the front suspension holder. its better to either double up on the front suspension holder or just buy the kinghead option, or just upgrade to the LSP-R front suspension holder for like 15 bucks.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:40 AM
chickenfarmer3

yeah, for all that work you coulda had the king headz piece, i had one on my lsp and it was stout. the only time anything like that broke was when i caught a column at our track at like full speed and finally broke it but that was expected.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Dnell

its better to either double up on the front suspension holder or just buy the kinghead option, or just upgrade to the LSP-R front suspension holder for like 15 bucks.
Would have been the optimal solutions by a mile but, this is what the hobby is about, experimenting around to find solutions to problems.

Good effort. IMO
Old 07-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

ORIGINAL: Dnell

its better to either double up on the front suspension holder or just buy the kinghead option, or just upgrade to the LSP-R front suspension holder for like 15 bucks.
Would have been the optimal solutions by a mile but, this is what the hobby is about, experimenting around to find solutions to problems.

Good effort. IMO
True , but it really isn`t a solution as it will still break and just did more work than needed . Could have had a stronger set up in quicker time if did as mentioned above .
Old 07-06-2006, 11:33 AM
noximus

ORIGINAL: Dnell

Good effort. IMO
your right Dnel..i wasnt knocking his mod by any means, and i didnt mean to come accross as if it wasnt a good idea, i just mentioned how the problem still exsist. its hard to express what you really mean through some forum. the stress isnt towards the center, its towards the ends. when i broke mine, it snapped at the ends. i just wanted to let him know, if he wanted an easy permanant fix, king headz or doubling up on the front suspension holders is what worked for me in the past.

good job wizz kid and to be honest with you, i never thought of putting screws through the diff housing to generate more support. every idea is a good idea![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Dnell

if he wanted an easy permanant fix, king headz or doubling up on the front suspension holders is what worked for me in the past.
+1
Old 07-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Wizz Kid

gee thanks...... some of you...?

my braces have all broken at the screws and trashed the holes where the screws go.