Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

T-Maxx to Truggy purchase?

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

T-Maxx to Truggy purchase?

Old 07-13-2006, 12:59 PM
rooster67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Maxx to Truggy purchase?

Thinking about buying a new nitro vehicle. My current set-up is:
T-Maxx 2.5
O.S.18TM, Sirio pipe, fwd only, upgraded servos, pro-line steering kit, big bores, oversized axle carriers, rpm arms, stock tires, stock radio.
What would I gain or realize if I bought a truggy. I still bash primarily around residential and commercial construction areas, and parks too. I’ve got a track about 15 minutes away. I didn’t know if I would spend more time at the track if I had a different nitro vehicle. Or maybe I should replace my stock tires with Bow Ties, hit the track, then decide.

Any Suggestions?

Doug
Old 07-13-2006, 06:54 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: T-Maxx to Truggy purchase?

imo truggy is purely for track use or maybe in the parks ..i wouldnt try to use it on construction sites ..but its always nice to have a new truck no matter what u get..
Old 07-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Tazer_version_A

Here's a tuff truggy for construction sites .. this is my sons and its off the hook. Tazer - ST Bash version ....

Old 07-13-2006, 08:28 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

If you were considering getting a truggy for a second RC and start making it to a/the track on a somewhat regular basis, not even to just go out and race, but to just practice and see how you do and get yourself comfortable on the track, then I'd say go for it and go from there.

Personally, back a year or 2 ago I did a "race" maxx and I hated it and ended up parting it out after spending over $1200 for the second time, which became the 3rd time I had completely rebuilt the truck from top to bottom and no matter how much money I spent on it I could never get the performance/handling I wanted out of it. Not to mention it literally broke something EVERY SINGLE TIME I drove it. The design is old, even with the 3.3 they made changes to the bulkhead shock tower setup, but I'm sure you've had to replace a set of front bulkheads by now, hows that for aggrevation? Not that I have ever had to replace an LST bulkhead due to it being broken, but I had to replace one because I stripped the screw holes in the bulkhead and was able to replace it in less than a half hour.

If the money isnt an issue (it always is no matter what) I'd say go for it, but I would try to keep from bashing it. Truggys arent really built to handle rocks and 40MPH upside down crashes like a monster truck, not saying they cant but I wouldnt bet on it lasting to long unless there was a constant flow of parts ready to go.

If you want to keep the bashability and still be able to get around a race track with ease, I'd suggest looking into the Losi LST2. I have had just about every MT out there at the moment with the exception of the revo and the CEN trucks, and the Losi out of the box will whoop anything you can throw at it, and then if you want to go bash it, just swap some bash tires on and you're good to go.

The T-maxx, even though you are running the .18 is still a 1/10 scale truck and doesnt have the stability or handling that the oversized but nimble LST2 has, it may turn better but thats about it. I would even bet that the stock LST2 could outrun a modded up T-maxx on a track or anywhere else for that matter (with equally skilled drivers of course). But the LST2 has made me look like a better driver due to how easy of a truck it is to set up for one, and #2 its has the most forgiving handling in any MT out there.

The first thing that comes out of peoples mouths (the ones who havent owned one, coupled with sporadic limited information that they pick up) about the LST2 is how the pricetag is way too high @ $650. But the misconception there is that you can purchase one at amainhobbies.com or killerhobbies.com (killer is the best site on the web for the LST, IMO) for quite a bit less than $600, usually right around the $570 mark or so +shipping. Now you could buy a 3.3 revo for $520+ and get a garbage AM radio and a host of stuff that can only be used in a traxxas RC, nevermind the fact that if you want to upgrade the engine you need to either buy a drop in engine, which you know can be pricey, or you'll have to buy a big block kit, which I think is rediculas when the rest of the world uses somewhat of an industry standard as far as engines go. I really think the people at traxxas have a serious imagination and some serious R&D skills, but they keep going the same route with these RC's that are geared towards beginners (Also, nothing wrong with that, but come on), give you a starting system that can only be used in a traxxas RC and a host of other stuff thats....well kinda old news to the more experienced folk of the hobby.

The one and only thing that the revo has over the LST2 is the fact that a center diff can be added, but IMO I think something from losi in the near future.

The other thing about truggies is that they can get really expensive. I just bought myself a new CRT pro kit, and all the stuff I needed to get it up and running. The final cost to get it up and running not including fuel and batteries ETC was over $2K, granted I went out of my mind buying top of the line stuff, but in this hobby for the most part you truely get what you pay for and I wanted the best I could afford.

If you are at all interest come check us out at www.lstcentral.com , we will be more than happy to answer any questions and theres tons of stuff like videos and pics ETC.... not to mention its the best and most informitive LST site in the world.

I'm not trying to force my opinion on you, but if you are leaning towards bashing with a little bit of racing the LST/2 is absolutely the way to go without a doubt. There are a few minor issues with the LST2 as with any truck, but other than hop-up parts that I chose to buy, the repair bill has been the lowest on my LST2 than any other MT I have owned. I am honestly hooked for life. Other than the CRT I recently purchased, the only other MT I will ever own is either another LST/2 or hopefully they'll be coming out with an LST3 in the near future also.

Sorry man, LOL I had to vent on that one. Not to mention I just drank 3 cups of coffee in the last hour.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:51 AM
blackrain

thes are pic of my jt hybrid supermaxx truggy wich started from a tmaxx 2.5 lots of money spent here i could bash it to death but on the track it just couldnt hang with the truggys of today. so i only ended up selling it and investing in my mugen truggy wich is just as tough with all the plastic parts and handles like a dream
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69378.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	491332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38903.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	491333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59302.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	491334  
Old 07-14-2006, 10:22 PM
2fast2slow

hey everyone,

but y is it that a truggy has to be for the track, ok it may not be the thing for rock climbing like a savage, but how about the regular bashing in the park where their is alot of room to get to top speed, and maybe ever to dirt ramp about 3 feet high which is just like a track,
Old 07-14-2006, 10:55 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

I really like the tazer trucks, and I wish I had thought of them when I made my CRT purchase. But I still think he should look into the realm of the LST2, it is leaps and bounds above any Tmaxx or savage in the handling and performance departments, I have never ran something that is so forgiving in the air and even more fogiving on the gorund. Any truggy for the most part will out handle the LST2, but as an overall package the LST2 does EVERYTHING better than the average MT. It is THE BEST MT "OUT OF THE BOX" and with nothing more than a decent set of race tires and a set of $10 springs can be track worthy. Not to mention Losi really, really, REALLY did their homework on there fixxed setup which adds to the durability of the truck.