Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

humor me

Old 07-14-2006, 10:31 PM
the dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default humor me

so im reading these posts on the hellfire thread and lots of bashing going on. well thats cool, everyone has an opinion. we dont have to agree. one thing im confused on though is where some people say the hellfire is a much more inferior truck than the other truggys. someone said on the other post that they were meant for entry level racers. how so? recently i set a jammin crt next to a hellfire there was very few differences. i also compared it to a kyosho str. again, very few differences. i think it really comes down to the old chevy versus ford thing. now i will say i do own a hellfire but if i thought another truck was better i wouldnt hesitate to say so. but i just cant see how ones better than the other.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:01 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: humor me

I dont know the actual answer, but I'll take a wild crack at it. IMO, the other truggies like the CRT and ST-R have proven race heritage and alot of national titles under there belt (I know the CRT has quite a few, but the ST-R is kinda new also) along with quite a few top factory/pro drivers running them. I havent heard of the hellfire winning to many national races or titles for that matter.

When It comes down to is, it is in fact an entry level truggy, not to mention they have no buggy heritage in which all the other truggies on the market do have very reputable championship buggies as platforms.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Kanza

Claudacio nailed part of it, HPI is just starting out in the off road competition market, while Kyosho, Mugen and few others have been in it for years. Some could say that Jammin was in the same position last year that HPI is in now, but they had (and have) Ofna behind them.

The other part of the problem is the way HPI released the Hellfire. They put the RTR out first, after hyping the overall platform since last fall. Naturally, people were eager to pick up this "competition" model and try to race it again the full blown race kits. I'm repeating what's been said elsewhere, but a $600.00 RTR cannot compete at that level without some updates. Combine all of this with some quality control goofs and you get the current attitude.

HPI is good at redeeming themselves after a stumble, so it should be interesting to see where the Hellfire goes. The design does look good, and there are a few racers who are doing well with the truck. Plus, the race kit is coming in the next month or so.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:15 AM
the dog

that sounds good. so if im hearing this right, the hellfire is just lacking some titles? the str is also very new like you were sayning. in my personal opinion i think all hpi did was look at the truggys that were out there and copied them for the most part. as far as being 600 bucks, the rtr jammin i think is less than that. i may be mistaken but i thought i saw that in a magazine. well hopefully somone will win races with it cause i like to see the field evenly spread with manufacturers. it keeps them in heir place.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:32 AM
Kanza

There is actually quite a bit about the Hellfire that sets it apart. The full length radio deck, diff housings, header stop on the chassis, structural radio box, and dual level chassis braces are all things I haven't seen on another other car or truck. The only possible truck HPI could have copied was the Lightning, and it seems they didn't bother. All truggys share the same basic idea, but there are a lot of off the wall concepts in that machine.

Unfortunately, HPI doesn't have an in house race team. Atsushi Hara has been their main man, but you'll find him running Hot Bodies stuff more than HPI. Don't worry about the big titles, just race yours and have fun.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:55 AM
AlphaAuriga
My Feedback: (17)

I've been in this hobby for over 25 years. I recently did my own head-to-head with the Hellfire, ST-R, and the LSP-R. I don't work for a magazine or anything like that. I wanted to see for MYSELF what really were the differences between some of the hot truggies. Mags are just one giant sales pitch. They aren't going to slam anything cause thats advertising money.

I also did really trust alot of people's opinion because they only owned this ONE or that ONE. Only drove a friends LSP or such. Thats not a good comparison. Your buddies set-up could be 180 degrees from what you like.

So, I bought all three and did my own test. I didn't do the CRT as I'm not a fan of Ofna products and unless I heard that it was "da bomb". I wouldn't even test it out.

In my test the Kyosho ST-R came out on top with the LSP-R a VERY CLOSE second and the Hellfire a distant third.

My opinions/thoughts on the Hellfire...

Great "clean sheet" design. HPI really simplified the overall truggy. The simple yet effective upper plate keeps flex to a minimum. The ease of which the diffs can be removed to be serviced such as fluid changes. While it is an RTR. Its not a compromise RTR. It does have lots of "Pro-like" features. There was not a part on the Hellfire that I looked at and said it absolutely had to be replaced or I thought was ultra "cheap". Sure like any RTR you do have to go over it and check/tighten all the screws. IMO, this should be a common activity with ANY RTR.

Talk about adjustability. TONS of it. You have lots of set-up options.

Competitive.... YES. In my first race with it, I took third in the A-Main.....

So why did it come third in my test? While I thought it was a good truggy, it was harder to drive than the other two. What I mean by that, is it takes alot more "focus" to keep it on its line. I used a "pro" set-up sheet as my starting point and it still took alot of focus to go fast. Changes to the suspension/handling didn't seem to make much impact in how it handled. Meaning you'd add more caster or camber, changing shock position, you couldn't tell the difference.

My other thought is that like the LSP-R there are no real sponsored drivers driving it. I hate to say it, alot of people buy kits based on what the pros drive. People forget that these guys are PAID to drive that CRT or whatever. Alot of people make their purchasing decision based on what they see who finished where in what race. People also forget that alot of these Pro's truggies aren't just an assembled kit off the shelf with a few minor after-market bits.

I think once HPI finds a really good set-up starting point for the Hellfire it will become more popular.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Dnell

I'd agree with much that's been said. The Hellfire was up against Jammin's marketing master stroke. Release a new kit shortly after winning a title, genius. Kyosho's STR is trading on racing heritage. HPI was always going to have a hard time against these two and Mugens entry, soon to be released. It was always going to have a problem with the LSP and Pro-R because it was the first factory built truggy and a well executed one at that all of which are aimed pretty squarely at winning races first and you can feel it within the first couple of corners. Somehow the Hellfire just seems a little bit softer in it's response.

If you followed the evolution of the Savage, I'd say the Hellfire is likely to follow. HPI sufferes for not having Pro level drivers who firstly developed the kit and campaign it in the current series. I've said it before but they are up against a sea of CRT's. Even Kyosho is having a problem stamping any authority with the amount of CRT's that turn up at any given event.

On the LSP, it made it's stamp a whole year before the others got brave enough to actually market a truggy. All of the rest held their breath to see if Hot Bodies could actually sell a truggy to us and when he LSP got a positive response and won races all over the place, they all signed-off on their own truggy projects.

I've been fortunate enough to have had a lot of wheel time on all of the current kits and IMO, even as a RTR the Hellfire has a lot to offer to whoever want's to spend the time getting to know it and drive around it's weaknesses. When I mention this, let it be said, they all have strengths and weaknesses. The SS apparently has some slight geomotry changes but again, it's up against it with the CRT and Kyosho guys. It can't go without 'bigging up' the guys who are successfully campaigning their Hellfires, their efforts vendicate HPI's efforts and it can only get better for them, HPI and us.

I also have to agree that given the adjustability of the RTR, it doesn't respond as quickly to changes that would prove quite dramatic in the CRT and STR but IMO, this is reflective of the target audience, not dissing newbee 'offroad tuning' skills but there is scope to go horribly wrong with the adjustability available.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:05 AM
Dnell

While cleaning out my Favorites folders I came across this. I thought it fair objective assessment of the truck so i kept it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...e_id=693#video
Old 07-16-2006, 05:00 PM
mini ripper

quote]ORIGINAL: AlphaAuriga

So, I bought all three and did my own test. I didn't do the CRT as I'm not a fan of Ofna products and unless I heard that it was !QUOT!da bomb!QUOT!. I wouldn't even test it out.

For being the hobby for 25 years do you have no idea that Ofna don't make a thing themselves. The CRT was desighned and developed by Hong nor if I'm correct one of Ofna's drivers consulted on the design.

But to dismiss the CRT because you don't like Ofna products was wrong and I firmly believe you would have really liked it. The CRT is a very competent wagon.