Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Newbie engine selection

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 11:44 PM
thiv_md

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie engine selection

Hey folks, I really need some advice and personal experience here. I've been involved in RC on and off since the Grasshopper and RC10 came out. It's always been electric. My brushless E-maxx keeps up with the nitro guys, but there's no class for me. So now I'm looking at going nitro for the first time. Looks like I'm headed towards a CRT. I figure I need an engine that won't need tuning for every tank of nitro. As for price, I'd like to stay below $300. Any suggestions? I've been looking at OS v-spec and Force 28 (like the RTR). To my understanding more people don't care for Wasps than do. And that Novarossi has a reputation of being finicky.
It seems to go the opposite direction here, but I've also had the Revo 3.3 cross my mind. Easy set-up, huge factory support, and about a $75 replacement for the whole engine when it wears out. For a beginner in nitro maybe this would be the way to go? I'd just have to deck it out like Steve Slayden.
I'm really open to suggestions. Thanks.

Jayson
Old 07-16-2006, 07:18 AM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Default RE: Newbie engine selection

I run a wasp .26 in my LSP and love it . It seems to be a popular engine in my area . The V-spec is a very good engine and holds a tune well. The revos are fun , I just put a big block in mine but I left the tranny in and didn`t put a center diff in to run mt class . I`ve heard bad things about the force .28 , but I never had one .
Old 07-16-2006, 05:29 PM
mini ripper

For me as a truggy racer thier is no need for anything bigger than a .21" in your truggy. Of course if you are going to be doing more bashing than racing a bigger motor is fine. In the way of .21" engines thier is not a great deal if anything that is not bump start so you will need a starter box.
I run a RB WS7 II and love it more than the wife at the moment! It starts in the mourning first time stays in tune and has bag loads of revs. In fact any of the RB .21" range will be fine the C6 WS7 III. Also be aware that you will need a pipe to go with these engines the RB one will fine that I also run with very good success.

Oh yea before I forget get a good clutch the ally one in the kit will good but I realy like the Orion V6 clutch good hook up and very hard wearing.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:51 PM
thiv_md

RB, huh. Never crossed my mind. Are rebuild parts widely available? And how about time in-between rebuilds? I remember seeing posts of people getting only a couple of gallons through various engines. Anybody else have experience with RB? Thanks mini ripper.

JJ
Old 07-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Dawman

I had a RB W72 and I hated it . Maybe I just had a lemon . It was so picky on tuning and would never stay tuned for one day .
Old 07-22-2006, 12:18 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your a beginner buy any of the Sh built big blocks.... they have trememndous power, are super easy to tune and are cheap to fix or replace..... they are a very reliable high performance engine...
Old 07-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Dawman

SH engines aren`t just for beginners if that is what you were applying . I race with SH .21 6 port engines and will run with all the expensive engines like RB , V-Spec , Nova Rossi , and ect.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:13 PM
thiv_md

Never heard of SH engines. I can't seem to find much about them on the net either. Who makes/imports/distributes them in the U.S.? Anybody know of a website where I can see more about them?
Old 07-23-2006, 07:12 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

hobbypeople has them i think theyre similar to xtm & mach engines..
Old 07-24-2006, 11:45 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Dawman

SH engines aren`t just for beginners if that is what you were applying . I race with SH .21 6 port engines and will run with all the expensive engines like RB , V-Spec , Nova Rossi , and ect.
sorry to make it sound that way.... but honestly the Sh are one of the best beginner engines going... they have such good carburetors and tune so well that its ideal for a beginner... they do make alot of power though and maybe too much for a beginer actualy..... but to me their easy tuning and reliability make them an ideal beginer engine