Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

ninja mr .21 bo1 5 port

Old 08-14-2006, 04:11 PM
RcRacer37E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ninja mr .21 bo1 5 port

I just ordered one the other day and had it shipped next day air. I was wondering if anyone eles was running this engine? The guys and gals I race against here run rb, os novarossi but havent seen any ninja engines out running.
It will be here tomarrow and the break in will begin, was just wanting a little heads up on what I should expect. Im hopen its better than the rb I bought for my buggy, its been nothing but a pain in my neck[>:] (and other racers have tried tuning it as well, think I got the one junk one out of the batch, if thats possable).
Anyway, anyone running this engine?
Old 08-14-2006, 04:29 PM
A.B.U

Default RE: ninja mr .21 bo1 5 port

I wanted it.. but ive heard a horror story or 2 here and there.

tell us how it does!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:14 PM
noximus

ORIGINAL: Griptape

I wanted it.. but ive heard a horror story or 2 here and there.

tell us how it does!
i have heard of a couple as well. but im sure mugen will be at your service if anything does arise.

what RB motor did you have previously?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:32 AM
big terp 77

what did you guys hear and is there anyway to prevent it. i broke down and put one in my mbx5t. i haven't had the time to get it goin yet. i tell you one thing, it looks real good. hopefully it will perform good.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:00 AM
RcRacer37E

The RB I have is the C5BB, it starts right up and will ideal great, but you open it up (full) and it dies. Many local racers at the track have tried to help out on the issue and it leaves them all scratching there heads. That engine I can write a horror story about and it has only about 1 gallon run through it. It did run fine for 1 race and never got over 220 degrees.
Im not bashing RB engines at all, they flat out haul, but this one I have is a polished turd.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:54 AM
nightcrawler

i run this motor in my crt pro and its great was running a rb c5 before and it not as good as the ninja its super reliable just like my rbwsII and rbwsIII and very light on fuel just make sure to put the extra shim in they give you before brake in and remember to take it out after,the only bad thing is the pipe as its a bit weak it got really dented when it got hit from the side (some muppet at the track)my rb pipe holds up much better

its also very fast and more than enough power to push my crt round the track with ease
Old 08-15-2006, 01:13 PM
noximus

ORIGINAL: big terp 77

what did you guys hear and is there anyway to prevent it. i broke down and put one in my mbx5t. i haven't had the time to get it goin yet. i tell you one thing, it looks real good. hopefully it will perform good.
the crankshaft going bad. i have heard this from a couple of people, not too sure if its an actual design flaw, so i wouldnt go about worrying about it. do a proper break in and enjoy your new engine. its a definate performer, awesome motor i think.

forgot to add, make sure you get a nice long header.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:15 PM
noximus

ORIGINAL: nascardad24

The RB I have is the C5BB, it starts right up and will ideal great, but you open it up (full) and it dies. Many local racers at the track have tried to help out on the issue and it leaves them all scratching there heads. That engine I can write a horror story about and it has only about 1 gallon run through it. It did run fine for 1 race and never got over 220 degrees.
Im not bashing RB engines at all, they flat out haul, but this one I have is a polished turd.
what kind of break in procedures are you doing?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:47 PM
RcRacer37E

I done the break in to the letter. I mean just the way the RB book said to do it. I realize RB is a super engine and the guys at the track who run the ws72 and 3 along with the new C6 cant beleive the bs this thing is doing. I would expect a newbe to just run the hell out of the engine and not take care of it but this is not the first engine nor am I a newbe, wish I could say I was then I could explain it...lol
Im thinking its just a opps in just this one engine, thats my luck. Im open for any ideas to try, if it hasnt alrready been done I'll give it a shot. Im going to tear it down and measure everthing and perhaps I can then figure out why its acting up.
One in a million and I have it, think it will be a collectors item?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:49 PM
A.B.U

didja get yer ninja? :P
Old 08-15-2006, 04:10 PM
noximus

I done the break in to the letter. I mean just the way the RB book said to do it. I realize RB is a super engine and the guys at the track who run the ws72 and 3 along with the new C6 cant beleive the bs this thing is doing. I would expect a newbe to just run the hell out of the engine and not take care of it but this is not the first engine nor am I a newbe, wish I could say I was then I could explain it...lol
Im thinking its just a opps in just this one engine, thats my luck. Im open for any ideas to try, if it hasnt alrready been done I'll give it a shot. Im going to tear it down and measure everthing and perhaps I can then figure out why its acting up.
One in a million and I have it, think it will be a collectors item?
hey man i like your sig, how true that is man!!

i dont know what to say about your C5, it can happen to anything i guess. did you do a heat cycle break in method? or did you do the old idle a couple of tanks?
Old 08-15-2006, 05:04 PM
RcRacer37E

If I remember, RB said to run tank one at idle then tank 2 easy runs less than half or at half till tank 4 the small runs at full. I did let it cool down with piston at btc between tanks. I was kinda worried about running tank 1 rich at idle because all the other engines Ive done I always ran them aound and let them cool down between tanks.
Im going to strip it down and have a look at the inside parts, I might get lucky and find the problem that way. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:07 PM
RcRacer37E

waiting on the ups man, it left at 708am to my door, still not here. It went from California to Illinois in about 5 hours and the ups is just 7 miles from my house and its taken longer than the trip from california. Must be alot of traffic.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:23 PM
A.B.U

when ya get it... snag a few pix. Hoepfully, if yours goes well i may throw a ninja in my 8ight when i get one xD

... if theyre ever released
Old 08-15-2006, 07:13 PM
RcRacer37E

woohooo, got it. Its packed very well.

If it runs as fast as it looks mean, it should hold its own on the track.

Now to break it in, but first, Im going to read the dvd a few more time, just to make sure and even print them out. Ah heck, it still has to go into the truggy.....lol.
Ok, will have more on this tomarrow and then again friday night after the race. Going to tear into the rb engine see what I can do to it.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:34 PM
noximus

that break in method you suggested for the RB i think was not a good break in procedure.

if i was you, i woul dbreak in your ninja using this method: http://www.rbmods.net/enginetempering.php

your break in process might be the main cause as to why your C5 was acting up. use stephen bess's heat cycle method and you wont be sorry. i am going on 9 gallons with my motor using this method. nothing but high praises from me.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:46 PM
RcRacer37E

Yep, thats how I done my 12tz and its on gallon 3 without any issues. I was a bit worried about the way rb said to do it, but its there engine and I figured I should do it there way. I have it soaking in the dip tank now (rb engine) will be taking it apart shortly.
I will be doing the heat cycle on this ninja for sure, after the one tank at idle rb way, thats the only thing I can think of that could be wrong with it. Ive done everything but rebuild the thing and its cheaper to just get a new one.
Thanks for the tips.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:38 AM
brisbane010203

What are the ideal glow plugs for these engines mine seems to really like the OS P3 but downunder they are real expensive
Old 03-27-2008, 07:05 PM
infernos777

Bess method all the way! why hasnt rc car magazine written a break in article if bess is the editor there, seems like a no brainer.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:28 PM
eirk66

try ritchening your high speed first thought Ive had same problem and thats what it was

if not reset all needles
Old 03-27-2008, 09:22 PM
RcRacer37E

8/14/06 posted date, did you blow the dust off before you posted...lol This engine is long gone but did serve me well. Made it 3 gallons before I replaced the bearings and another 5 gallons before I sold it.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:28 AM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: brisbane010203

What are the ideal glow plugs for these engines mine seems to really like the OS P3 but downunder they are real expensive
wow 2 years old....WOW....anywho...P3's DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOOOOOOT work in a Ninja....the ONLY plugs u can run in the ninja are Genuine ninja plugs....OR Trinity Drake plugs/ picco plugs.....p3's WILL strip out the button and Cause a Air leak....100% guarenteed to happen....also SH plugs seem to work ok.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:29 AM
infernos777

I just did a search for P3 plugs and Ninja engines and this thread came up!
Old 03-29-2008, 07:42 AM
INTEGRA

hah..
ORIGINAL: infernos777

I just did a search for P3 plugs and Ninja engines and this thread came up!
good stuff....as lots of guys run the WRONG plugs in there Fancy Race Mills and wonder why they dont last as long as say a RTR level motor.....race mills take alot more TLC...they Need to be tuned when they dont feel right...and if u dont know what ur doin...it can be a Messy affair....i kno a guy who burnt down 1500$ in motor's in 1 Summer. [X(]