Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Which Truggy Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 11:47 AM
lazyboy12300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Truggy Kit

Hi,
I have a savage at the moment but it is broken so i was looking around to see what else there was out there. I came across the class of truggies and thought they looked interesting and am thinking of getting one. The only problem is now what to get. I have all the electronics neccesary to start and would like a kit if possible. I would not be looking to get the most expensive out there unless there are major differences over the others. I have narrowed my choice down to the kits below and would like your opinions on them:

OFNA Jammin' X1 CRT Pro
Kyosho ST-R (If I could find somewhere cheap enough)
Mugen MBX5-T
Mugen MBX5-T Prospec
HPI Hellfire SS
GS Storm SUT Pro
GS Storm SUT CE

If I have missed any out then please tell me and I will add them to my list and consider them.
Thanks for your help,
Scott
Old 08-18-2006, 12:23 PM
ProRCRacer88

Default RE: Which Truggy Kit

You left out the hotbodies Pro-R, thats only $450 but looks like it would be a great bash/race truck. As fas as the choices, I would say that the kyosho, mugen, ofna, and hotbodies are great trucks to consider buying. There isnt much of a difference between these, but I could be wrong since I dont have a truggy myself...lol
Old 08-18-2006, 01:19 PM
crazysavage

ORIGINAL: lazyboy12300

Hi,
I have a savage at the moment but it is broken so i was looking around to see what else there was out there. I came across the class of truggies and thought they looked interesting and am thinking of getting one. The only problem is now what to get. I have all the electronics neccesary to start and would like a kit if possible. I would not be looking to get the most expensive out there unless there are major differences over the others. I have narrowed my choice down to the kits below and would like your opinions on them:

OFNA Jammin' X1 CRT Pro
Kyosho ST-R (If I could find somewhere cheap enough)
Mugen MBX5-T
Mugen MBX5-T Prospec
HPI Hellfire SS
GS Storm SUT Pro
GS Storm SUT CE

If I have missed any out then please tell me and I will add them to my list and consider them.
Thanks for your help,
Scott
I run the Ofna but had to modify it quite abit to make it hang with good Str drivers, it is now equal to the STR and a new after market chassis drive train kit is coming out that will make it unstopple in the hands of a good driver so I would wait on the OFNA.

Cant go wrong with this one...extra attention to the diff building and maintenance is required but that is what you have to get used to if you race.

Mugen, I have no experience with these but they look fantastic and it was a great Idea for them to offer two levels of this truck they are both priced great.(do not buy a short armed version of this truck)

Hellfire...I will open up a can of worms on this one but I rate it an overpriced hunk of junk that needs many mods to be competative, sorry hell fire guys I have two buddies that bought them and they are ebay specials as we speak.

GS Storm...owned it, worked on it with it and around and could not get it to handle for crap until I put CRT suspension on it...Wait foy the GS XUT it will be killer.

The Matrix truggy looks good and a Hyper8 truggy is in the works so if your willing to wait awhile your decision could become very difficult.
Make sure you have parts support if you have a Hobbystore you shop at and let that be part of your decision. I use mailorder for most of my parts so it doesnt matter to me. Good Luck.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:59 PM
lazyboy12300

Thanks for that Crazysavage. It helped a lot. I think i will go with the CRT because they seem 2 get good reviews.
ProR Racer i have considered the hot bodies but i would really like a kit and if i am correct that comes pre-built (correct me if im wrong).

Will probably go with the CRT.
Thanks for your views.
Scott

BTW where can i find any information and the GS XUT. I saw it somewhere but i thought sumone had typrd it wrong.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:09 PM
crazysavage

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4635000/tm.htm
Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 PM
JDRACING

The Kyosho ST-R.

Old 08-19-2006, 05:36 AM
lazyboy12300

Thanks for all the information but i have narrowed it down again to the CRT or STR. My only problem with the STR is the price. Does anyone know where they are sold cheapish.
Thanks
Scott
Old 08-19-2006, 10:20 AM
RJ123

Thank u crazysavage, thank u very much
Old 08-19-2006, 10:44 PM
JDRACING

Crisy Critters Hobby Shop
Old 08-20-2006, 12:52 PM
noximus

he sells the STR shipped in the USA 640 dollars, i do not know how much it would cost to send it to the UK. im sure it wouldnt be that much more. www.rcbuggyshop.com

i would buy the STR over the CRT hands down.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:46 AM
lazyboy12300

Thanks, but the problem with sending it to the UK is not the postage. It is the import charges. I think it is about 10-15% of the price for import charges so i think it would be easier for me to get a CRT in the UK because it is cheaper and good as well (I can get one for £295). In the UK the CRT Pro comes without tires so i was thinking of getting some proline ones. The wheels come in the kit and i was wondering if 40 series prolines fit them or it it was MAXX size. Can anyone help please?
Then there is the choice of engines. I do not have a massive budget so i would like to spend around $250. I do not really know the advantages of a .28 or .21 so i would like some help deciding please. A rotostart would be prefered but i could always get a starter box.

I have looked at the:
Collari .32 3 port ABC Monster Truck Engine w/Roto Start
Novarossi N528XRS 8 port .28 Roto Start Monster Truck Engine
Novarossi N528XSS 3 port .28 Roto-Start Engine
Racer's Edge .32 Sure Fire pull start MT Engine
O.S. Max-21 VZ-B V-Spec-T (P) Off-Road Competition Buggy Engine
RB Concept S7 MSC 7-Port Off-Road Competition Buggy Engine
Werks Racing Team Line B7 .21 ABC Competition 7-port Buggy Engine
O.S. 30VG (P) Non Pull Start Monster Truck Engine
Werks Racing Team Line B7 .28 ABC Competition 7-port Truggy Engine

I have noticed that the Novarossi rotostart enters the side of the truck instead as the usual rear. Does this work on the CRT or which one is better. I have heard that you need to alter the engine mount to enter the rear of the truck so would a side entrance be easier for the CRT. Please help.

As for a pipe i was looking at the OFNA JP-3 but i cannot find it. Can someone please help me find the cheapest place for this pipe?

Thanks everyone,
Scott
Old 08-21-2006, 06:18 AM
crazysavage

The first thing you need to do is take a look at truggyracers.com and the next think you should do is start thinking less monster truck and more race truck and forget about 40 series tires. You will be wanting to make the tires and wheels narrower not wider and you will need some side wall to absorb impacts. For engine choices, I think you will be better off starting with a cheaper engine and using the savings for a starter box. Ofnas .28 is a very nice engine that tunes up pretty easy and has plenty of power. With two or three clutch bells handy you can compete with it on any track and the fuel mileage is quite good. Roto crap starting systems are just frustration waiting to happen and a buggy baseed vehicle is pretty limited to starting from the rear since you have a pipe on one side and the radio box on the other. Of course, all this information is for racing purposes. If your going to bash with this CRT then you should just get the ready to run with the alloy chassis braces added and a strong steering servo, you can use the stock servo for throttle and brakes. I know several guys who have done this and they are now racing there ready to runs with great success.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:58 PM
gilracer1

Location: manati puerto ricounitedstates pr, PUERTO RICO (USA)

for me the hell fire SS because is looks well construtec and plenty of adjustability,the rate given was to the hell fire rtr so ,i think that is the best truck because the original desing ,second matrixx tr ,third jaming crt,but hpi always have alot of hopups n cheap prices