Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

8ight Truggy

Old 01-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Super_Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 8ight Truggy

ORIGINAL: trackman

dave there you go again being cocky. go buy yourself a truggy. i really dont care.
If you don't care what are you complaining about it?! I really wasn't trying to sound cocky maybe its just in my nature . It is fact that no ones been able to beat either of us in a race yet unless there were mechanical problems involved so I don't see how thats being cocky. The competition is getting extremly tight though.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:44 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Dave, do you have the Eight Buggy? If so, how does it handle compared to other buggies you've owned? I've seen several 8ight's at our track, and they seem to handle a lot better. They don't get bucked around as much on the whoops sections.

But note: A guy at our track tried running all aluminum shoes on the 8ight, but he was having trouble with it. So if you were pondering an all-aluminum clutch, you might want to reconsider. It may have just been him, but I doubt it.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:50 PM
72dolphins

if he was running the losi al clutch shoes that more than likely was the problem. pick up some kingheadz 7075 shoes and you're good to go
Old 01-04-2007, 10:29 PM
MBX5T Maniac

Will those even work with the losi 4-shoe setup?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:20 AM
Super_Dave

I know one or two other companies already make clutch shoes for the Losi. I think kingheadz is one of them. What kind of trouble was he having? If you over tighten the screws it could make the clutchs fit to tight... just rely on the thread lock. As far as spring setup goes I'm gunna try some things. First, I'll probably try the medium/soft springs.

The 8ight deffinatly has a lot of steering but unlike most other buggies you don't need to slide the rear end around to get the steering out of it. You can keep the rear end planted a bit better so you don't scrub speed (and time) by sliding. Of course were only talking a few tenths of a second or less but I've already lost races and TQ spots by about that much time [:@]. For the amount of steering it has the buggy still feels very stable when its setup right. Its not that great at high speed handling. High speed bumps will make it bounce a little bit which might have something to do with the CVDs all the way around instead of universal drive shafts sense they try to straighten out at high RPMs. I'll be trying to fix that next season. The buggies specialty is low to mid speed tracks because of its steering and it takes bumps very well at those speeds as well. Another thing is I've gotten it on two wheels and had it bobbling all over the place a few times and its a bit easier to recover then my MP777 was. Small adjustments have a pretty big effect on the buggies handling as well (in a good way) but it can also make it easier to seriously screw up your setup which I've already done very easily. Its handling doesn't change much as the conditions change either. One day it was muddy and tacky in the morning and was bone dry by the end of the day and I only needed to make minor adjustments. A simple turn downward of the droop screws cured the traction rolling when it was tacky and moving the rear upper shock position inward helped regain some rear bite when it got dry and slick. You do need to keep the rear end straight out of the corners when traction gets low otherwise it will fishtail a lot so it takes a bit more throttle control then some other buggies. Like I said before if the 8ight truggy handles anything like the buggy its going to be a top contender.

Our track is now more of a high speed and flowing track and the Hyper 8s kick ass at high speed handling and there are quite a few of them out here. Its going to take quite a bit of tinkering to get the high speed handling out of this 8ight but I know I can still win with it. Its still mostly about the driver of course but a fast buggy never hurt as long as you can handle it.

The 8ight does seem to be having its problems. Some people are starting to say heat could be causing the throttle servos to fail. Its is pretty close to the engine so I could belive it. I use analog servos (sense digitals don't drop your lap times anyway ) so using aluminum tape on the servo will fix that problem. People with digital servos that have the heat sink built into the servo case couldn't do that sense it will hold more of the heat in so they might have some trouble. I did borrow a digital servo before and man those things get hot by plain usage alone. People are complaining about weak hinge pin covers and leaky shocks but I think those are operator error.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:01 PM
carmatic1

maybe we could buy some 1/18 cooling fans originally designed for motors, such as http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=17418 , to cool those overheating servos
Old 01-06-2007, 12:26 AM
MBX5T Maniac

Dave, I'll ask him. What was happening was that it would die when he was giving it too much throttle, or something along those lines
Old 01-06-2007, 03:24 AM
FoamyVictim

maybe we could buy some 1/18 cooling fans originally designed for motors, such as http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=17418 , to cool those overheating servos
Nope, some insulated tape works just fine.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Super_Dave

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

Nope, some insulated tape works just fine.
I think he was commenting on that about what I said for digital servos. I don't use digital servos but I know most of them have a heat sink on the case. Wouldn't putting aluminum tape over that heat sink completly defeat the purpse of the heat sink and also overheat the servo? It might not sense the tape is only insilated on one side though .
Old 01-06-2007, 11:24 PM
flyinJ

Im new to truggies and buggies. I have a buggy but it isnt nothing special. I ussually race a t maxx at our track but anyways how much ouces of torque do you think you would need to get a good throw farely qiuckly. And would a Hyper .21 8 port be a good engine for the truggy with a good pipe?
Mike
Old 01-10-2007, 12:18 AM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

ORIGINAL: ArcticCat500

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

it's a pre-built kit. I think it's a bad idea, but who knows
Plan on buying one of these too MM?
I wish I had that kind of money...
I may sell the MBX5T and get one, but I don't know. I really don't like that it's prebuilt.
You said you were going to sell your revo to the mbx5t, and now you are going to sell "your" mbx5t to get the 8ight T? LOL
Old 01-10-2007, 12:29 AM
MBX5T Maniac

Okay, forget it. I'm buying a MBX5T prospec within a few weeks. I'm keeping it. End of story
Old 05-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Don/Michigan

Just dropped in to say the Losi truggy is sweet at the track. Takes the jump, bumps and flies like no other truggy. Just an awesome setup from Losi. It's a very very tough truggy. Never broke a part yet. This sure beats the heck out of my Jammin X1CRT I had. Total difference between the two.
My 2cents.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:33 PM
crazyjr

Man!!! words can't describe how this truck handles, I just run it on the track today and it absolutely is the best handling truck I have ever seen. I let three racer/friends run it (one is my track owner and two were CEN sponcered drivers) and all three said it was awsome in setup from the box for the track. If i had a genie, I couldn't have wished a truck like this. I never thought this level of handling existed
Old 05-16-2007, 09:47 PM
DriftProjectR

ORIGINAL: crazyjr

Man!!! words can't describe how this truck handles, I just run it on the track today and it absolutely is the best handling truck I have ever seen. I let three racer/friends run it (one is my track owner and two were CEN sponcered drivers) and all three said it was awsome in setup from the box for the track. If i had a genie, I couldn't have wished a truck like this. I never thought this level of handling existed
welcome to the club.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:02 PM
carmatic1

wasnt there like a bunch of people who thought the 8ight design wasnt good enough so they went ahead and changed the engine position etc etc?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:55 PM
DriftProjectR

not that i know of.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:05 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

They have dun went and dropped an 8ight T RTR.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodId=LOSB0083

I really didnt think they were going to do this.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:54 PM
warriorking

Wow thats a good price. I f you already have a good radio you can pull the speky fling it on
fleabay for like 150 and recoupe some greenbacks............
Old 05-17-2007, 09:24 PM
DriftProjectR

im sure there is going to be a difference between the RTR and the kit car. just like how the 8ight buggy and 8ight kit car (shock tower, shocks, etc.)
Old 05-18-2007, 03:07 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: DriftProjectR

im sure there is going to be a difference between the RTR and the kit car. just like how the 8ight buggy and 8ight kit car (shock tower, shocks, etc.)

Yup, the same exact materials as the RTR buggy, chassis and everything. Not a bad deal if you could score the towers and chassis cheap on ebay or something.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:50 PM
DriftProjectR

ORIGINAL: claudacio

ORIGINAL: DriftProjectR

Yup, the same exact materials as the RTR buggy, chassis and everything. Not a bad deal if you could score the towers and chassis cheap on ebay or something.
agreed.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:23 PM
crazyjr

The more i drive this truck, the more i love it. it feels so controled, that it feels slow
Old 05-19-2007, 05:25 PM
MBX5T Maniac

New from Losi:

Losi® revolutionized 1/8-scale buggy ready-to-runs with the 8IGHT RTR™ based on the first genuinely new buggy design in more than a decade the 8IGHT. Now they’ve done the same for ready-to-run truggy racers with the 8IGHT-T™ RTR. Starting with the same innovative ultra-narrow chassis and drivetrain layout as the 8IGHT-T Race Roller, the 8IGHT-T RTR packs power and handling superior to the competition right out of the box. Losi’s 427 Big Block engine and tuned exhaust come pre-installed, along with the premium Spektrum® crystal-free DX2.0 radio system for unmatched control. The centrally mounted motor, oversized shocks, thick aluminum chassis, and numerous other ingenious features yield both performance and durability. When it comes to combining ground-breaking design and race-inspired performance in a ready-to-run truggy, no one comes close to the 8IGHT-T RTR from Losi.

Features

Spektrum DX2.0 radio system for crystal and interference free convenience
Losi 427 engine and tuned exhaust
Innovative truggy drivetrain layout with centrally mounted engine
Oversized, hard anodized shock bodies with threaded collars
Centrally located dual stage air cleaner
Spin-Start starting system for simple engine starting
Removable one-piece radio tray with separate boxes for the receiver and battery
Sealed front and rear differential housings keep dirt out of the gears
Captured hinge pins require no retaining clips
Includes receiver pack and charger

Specs

Type: Truggy
Scale: 1/8
Length: 21.875 in (555.63mm)
Width: 16.375 in (415.9mm)
Wheelbase: 14.5-14.65 in (368.3-372.1mm)
Weight: 8.45 lb (3832.85g)
Chassis: 4mm Aluminum
Suspension: Indepenent
Tire Type: TTX Truggy
Motor or Engine: Losi 427
Radio: Spektrum DX2.0
Batteries: Receiver Pack (included)
Charger: included
Kit/RTR: RTR
Shock Type: Oversized, threaded, hard-anodized
Body: Factory decorated
Ball Bearings: complete
Fuel Tank Capacity: 150cc

Needed to Complete

8 "AA" betteries (for the DX2.0 radio system)

7.2V 6-cell battery and charger (for the Spin-Start)

Nitrotane Fuel- LOSF0120

Fuel Bottle- LOSB5201

LOSB0083 $749.99

That's just so everyone can see the pics and info
Old 05-21-2007, 09:24 PM
SPAAARTA!

does anyone know exactly what all the changes(cheapifications) are? im thinking about just buying this and dropping the 427 into my aftershock and buying a picco .28 like i had planed for the kit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.