Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Fastest Truggy Mills

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:57 AM
scud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fastest Truggy Mills

Hi all - what are the most powerful mill(s) most applicable for truggy use. The truck gets used for both racing and occasionally battering for fun. I have an MBX5t, right now running an HPI 28. I was thinking about running an Orion Wasp .28 - but I'm a little skeptical- anyone have experience with this power plant?

Curious to know what the best value/performance mills are - I dont wanna be spending 400 bucks on a motor, but I'd have no problem letting go of 200 - 250 for something that runs real quick. any suggestions
Old 10-31-2006, 12:25 PM
noximus

Default RE: Fastest Truggy Mills

yea, i think the best suggestion that was EVER givin to me that i continue to use and it has been helping ever since.

learn how to keep your car on the track first, then worry about power later.

for the MBX5T, you want a nice .21, look into a Vspec, radical 621T, Novarossi P5, Mugen Ninja and even the new OS VG .21 is suppose to be a very nice motor for the money, i personally think you should buy the OS VG, its 150 dollars, you wont be upset if you ruin it during bashing, and its capable of winning races.

OS carbs are some of the best in the buiz, the mills may not last as long as lets say a Novarossi, but its a performer and holds a nice tune. JMHO.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:38 PM
signa

I found the Wasp to be a terrible motor. Down on power and lost its compression very quickly. I'd pass on that. I like the OS 30VG. It's 3HP, and as reliable as the rising sun.

Not alot of people talk about the OS motors here, I don't know why...

ORIGINAL: scud

Hi all - what are the most powerful mill(s) most applicable for truggy use. The truck gets used for both racing and occasionally battering for fun. I have an MBX5t, right now running an HPI 28. I was thinking about running an Orion Wasp .28 - but I'm a little skeptical- anyone have experience with this power plant?

Curious to know what the best value/performance mills are - I dont wanna be spending 400 bucks on a motor, but I'd have no problem letting go of 200 - 250 for something that runs real quick. any suggestions
Old 10-31-2006, 10:14 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: signa

I found the Wasp to be a terrible motor. Down on power and lost its compression very quickly. I'd pass on that. I like the OS 30VG. It's 3HP, and as reliable as the rising sun.

Not alot of people talk about the OS motors here, I don't know why...

ORIGINAL: scud

You shouldnt believe manufacturer's claimed HP, its done on calculations of their own #'s and estimates. I dont think theres 1 engine out there that puts out 3HP nor do I think that theres an engine out there that lives up to a manufacturers claims in reality. A hott mod novarossi 528 XR (which is the HP "king" of all car/truck glow engines) barely broke the 2HP barier (2.02HP) on the X-dyno, and it was the first and last to do so if I'm not mistaken. Also, all of the magazines use a different dyno, XRC mag is the only to use the X-dyno that I know of. Also I should mention there are so many variables when these engines are being dynoed that its tough to really say what these engines put out for sure.

Check this out

I dont think the OS is a bad engine personally, its a torque monster from what I have seen from it, and it has tons of room for modification. If that sleeve was any less cut it would be sqaure, LOL. But I think the reason's you dont hear it talked about so much is 1, its not race legal. And 2, alot of people had bad experiences with it when they first came out, I have heard probably 5 stories of the OS .30's not lasting 2 gallons before losing compression.

Scud, I agree with noximus's statement "learn how to keep your car on the track first, then worry about power later", that being said, I think for the price range you've stated the picco .28 is going to be the most powerful option, although I will say that I have never had one and hear that they are very tempermental at times. But they do put out some serious juice if your tuning skills are on point, but like I said they can be tempermental from what I've been told.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:43 PM
NewKid
My Feedback: (1)

i agree wheel around first before going all out get a feel for the truck...but having the best motor can be seen different ways...I personally have a Hot Mod NOva 528xr for my comp rig and then for my bashing/semi comp rig...I am gonna run a dadders modded sts .30 but i have seen may people run .21 in smaller truggies such as yours....i hear that the os .21 vspec is among the best.....but heck you could take any motor within reason mod it yourself and run fairly well...just shop around...read up on the motors you're interested in
Old 11-01-2006, 05:20 PM
scud

Guys- thanks so much for the supportive posts.. I wasn't so fortunate on my first run here at the forum!!! Anyhow- I have been really loving this Mugen -- It runs like a bass - tard (even with the mediocre HPI 28 in it now) and handling wise, I am so impressed with how predictable and well-mannered this truggy is on street or track.

I ended up buying a wasp for a stupid cheap price - so cheap that if it blew up after a gallon, I wouldn't be too upset (if it didn't make it through break in, i'd be real pissed though!!!!! haha)

Pro'lly going to end up with an O.S. - I used to use nothing buy OS in my airplanes for many years and I always was happy with their performance and reliability. And yes- their carbs are the best, hands down!

question tho: What would be the pros/cons of using an OS 30 vs. 21????? I hear ALOT of guys telling me that .21s do an all around better job than big blocks -- is there truth to this claim?? Why use 1 over the other?
Old 11-01-2006, 05:24 PM
NewKid

this is all dependant upon your style, track style and what you want....the .21's make more topend rpm than bigblocks and have better fuel economy so that's why most run small blocks because tracks aren't big enough to have a real advantage running the bigger engines but as stated depends on you however i hear that the .30 os has the least amount of topend out of the big block high ends...and i hear the nova 528xr is the cream of the crop(my engine for my race truggy)
Old 11-01-2006, 09:26 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: NewKid

this is all dependant upon your style, track style and what you want....the .21's make more topend rpm than bigblocks and have better fuel economy so that's why most run small blocks because tracks aren't big enough to have a real advantage running the bigger engines but as stated depends on you however i hear that the .30 os has the least amount of topend out of the big block high ends...and i hear the nova 528xr is the cream of the crop(my engine for my race truggy)

The rossi's are the cream of the crop, but theres also RB which is made with the same parts pretty much just a little different but equally good, if not better. I have a hott mod XRS and a regular unleaded Top 528 XRP that I changed the backplate on and ground down the nub on the crank and made it into an XR. I have yet to see anything more powerful than the rossi's in person, nor have I seen anything that drinks as much fuel, but its well burned IMO. I also had an OS .21 Vspec (EB mods) in my CRT a few months back, and it was a serious engine. I never ran that thing out of topend with the CRT's stock gearing, it just kept on pulling. But if I had to do over I'd go with something else, I would probably go with the RB C6 BB before another vspec. I had an OS 2060 pipe on it and it was modded, yet it still didnt quite have enough bottom for me, there was a dead spot real low in the powerband. Theres a few spots at my regular track that I would have to come out of a really slow section and clear a double or roll over them. I kept slamming into the frontside of the double with it, LOL. Maybe if I would have changed the gearing a little I would have gotten it, but I needed that topend just as much. Still a really good engine though, theres no denying that.

Although, I'd really have to say you are going to regret buying that wasp, no matter how cheap it was. If I'm not mistaken thats a Toki engine, meaning its originally made by toki and orion puts there name and specs to it, all toki engines are really bad IMO. I've had a few and I have had nothing but problems, one of them has less than a half gallon through it (Trinity "draked" .30 (what a flaming POS)) that is nothing more than a paper weight at this point in time, a $269 paper weight. I would really suggest trying to return that thing if you could, seriously however cheap it was, it wasnt worth it. Theres a reason you got it so cheap, trust me.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:30 PM
NewKid

well not that you've got that motor run it tell it fails but i'd suggest getting a spare if you could or something but as stated the os has loads of top but lacks bottom...and the novarossi's are pretty much the major powerhouses i've yet to run my hot mod one but i've seen the stock one and it ripped at our local track...it was clearing everthing and running the straights without a prob
Old 11-06-2006, 12:38 AM
noximus

its gonna sound like a broken record here, but Novarossi's are fantastic motors, you will or can find other motors that may have slightly more power in the .21 range, but the money is well worth it when you have consistant throttle response, smooth power bands, and good fuel milage, and nice power and most of all dependable and dead easy to tune and holds a nice tune all day. ultimate of ultimate is the 528. i dont like the specific motor cause i cant handle the motor and its gas milage sucks. lol but their .21 line up is awesome.

if you are trying to save some money, i suggest looking into the O.S. .21 VG. its not a bad motor at all for the money, in fact if you get 4 to 5 gallons out of that motor with the way it performs, you got your 150 dollars worth JMHO.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:39 PM
madjack

I like the Novarossi based motors, RB is a personal favorite. I have spent the extra dollars on modified versions of these motors in the past and for me it was not worth the cost as the standard versions are very fast to start with (can't put the power down with the stock versions)

(running an MBX5T with RB C6BB, 192 manifold and 2045 pipe)

Great power and decent milage [8D]

my .02