Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

The Best Damn Truggy PERIOD.

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

The Best Damn Truggy PERIOD.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:32 PM
GabeBoudreau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Best Damn Truggy PERIOD.

"I like the following truggy's and WHY I think they are the best."

A-Kyosho
B-Mugen
C-Losi
D-Jammin
E-Hobao Hyper T
F-OFNA
G-Hot Bodies
H-CEN Racing
I-Xtm
J-Red Cat Racing
K-Other (not listed, please name)

I'm impartial to the whole GREAT truggy debate. Everyone has their choice of what they think is the best, and they say things like "I like truggy A because this manufacture builds it."

Like every decision we make during the day, something helps determine why you belive that Manufacture A is better than Manufacture B. What I hope to accomplish here is this, a scientific reason why Truggy A is better than Truggy B. With hard data and factual accounts of your experiences I can then set forth to design and build a truggy that will fit everyones needs better.

This doesn't mean that my Truggy will be better or worse than the next, but yet, I will at least have asked the PUBLIC consumer who is the ultimate person that needs to be satisfied with his/her purchase. This concept is by no means new to the world. The Japaneese have been doing this for years (actually asking its consumers what it wants, rather than building something and shoving it down the consumer throats which is the case with current RC manufactures around the world, with few acceptions.)

So this is your chance to partake in something big and revolutionary to our hobby. This one is for Truggys, but if you wish to go off on tangents by all means do so! So lets hear it. And please pick your favorite from the list above.

Thank you,
Gabe Boudreau
Old 12-16-2006, 08:15 PM
JDRACING

Default RE: The Best Damn Truggy PERIOD.

A
Old 12-16-2006, 08:25 PM
ArcticCat500

B.....Because theres nothing else that matters.....[sm=punching.gif]
Old 12-16-2006, 08:40 PM
kidd

no truggy is better than another. what matters is what i get for my money
Old 12-16-2006, 08:46 PM
ssj2

I have an XTM, however, I do realize that there's better on the market. For the money, the XTM isn't bad at all, that's why I have it due to a tight budget. However, I really think that Jammin shouldn't be underestimated in this situation, they're truggy is one hell of a truck. I would have to say A, B, or D. Can't decide on those three though.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:10 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

The question you are asking is kind of a double edged sword. You ask person A what he/she likes about truggy A in which you get a response of I like this, that and this, and its the best because "I" think so, or more so thats "my" favorite company (possibly without saying it like that of course). But how does person A know that truggy B doesnt do all those things better. Magazines and personal input is going to be useless becsuse its going to be biased to an extent, possibly not the mags so much. But with out actually running these trug's back to back and seeing which does what better with similar settings and equipment in the same environment, then changing the environment and settings and see how things stand, you are fighting a loosing battle.

Personally, I'm not saying you are wrong in any way. Any person trying to improve our "quality of life" in this hobby is a hero to me. But if I were in this situation and serious about building what the masses wanted in a big way, I would attain all the truggies mentioned, remove all brand badging labeling them A B C, add all the same tires, engine and pipe, use 1 type of bodie and then head to a few tracks and either have the racers there be test subjects or arange testers from here or another website, have them run several tanks of fuel through each and noting what they like about each. And then try to design a truggy around what was the best of the best of each. It would for sure be a costly endevor, but so would a tanked truggy build that isnt going to sell. Which I hear runs up to just under $500,000 by the time all is said and done, and thats with an established manufacturer that has all the facilities, outside parts manufacturers ETC.... And thats just concept to reality, without production costs if I'm not mistaken.

I do wish you good luck though.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:28 PM
nbk

D,only beacuse I have one.
But if I could make another choice,it would be A.
My old kyosho would stand up to anything,built like the beast it is said to be!!!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:26 PM
ArcticCat500

Put a remote in Billy Easton's hand...and drop any car ona track n he'd beat ya...I like my GS SUT...building an MBX5t...and I will be grabbing GS's new XUT....take a look there for the $$$...they're all good...as long as you have fun and stay withen your means.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10179
Old 12-17-2006, 12:22 AM
AlphaAuriga
My Feedback: (17)

Claudacio makes some good points.

I'm one of the fortunate ones that can afford to own multiple truggies including an ST-R, Mugen MBX5T Prospec, CRT Pro, LSP-R, and a custom Tazer PRT. Is one clearly better than the other? No.

IMO, its not about building a truggy thats the based on the "best" of the what people want/like. Its about making a truggy that is "adjustable" enough for a wide range of driving styles AND having the ability to set it up that way.

My buddy's driving style is WAY different than mine. Driving his CRT is maddening to me. He likes to drive/steer with the rear-end of his truggy. I don't drive like that. I like more front-end braking. More control for me.

Sure some truggyies aren't very "tuneable" but usually its the owner that doesn't know how to tune their truggy for the way they either like to drive or feel it should drive....
Old 12-17-2006, 01:37 AM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

I agree with you 100%, what I was getting at was that each one has some trait that it does well maybe not even noticable, but the problem with that I guess is it may do something for you that it doesnt for me require a setting change to get what I would want. So I'd say I was a little off on some things, thanks for correcting me.

When I think truggy, I picture myself with bald spots and my eyes hurting from all the eyeballing, LOL. I hate trying to set camber and toe. I drive myself crazy trying for perfection that I never achieve. A truggy with interchangable preset camber and toe links would be the shizzle. Or I could just buy a setup station and end the madness.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:07 AM
---RC PiNYoT---

I'm in the same vote as nbk. D because I have one but A if I can afford one.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:42 PM
PillowPants

I REALLY like my ST-R. Raced for my 2nd time in my life last night and took home 2nd place with it! zero problems the whole night, other than being distracted and not being able to get it warm before throwing it on the track during the 1st qual![:@] Took 1st in the second qual with the fastest lap of the night. Then took 2nd in the main! Racing is blast when you're truck runs that great.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:29 PM
DahlELama

H-CEN Racing - TR Arena Factory Race

Why? I'll tell you when it get's here and I get it built and tested out.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:28 PM
badxlt

why is the losi so hi no one has even ran one it may be a turd. i think that it more like b d g a c h e f j i k. i know your thinking that the losi and cen are kind of low on the list but i put them there couse there not tested yet and even if they suck there beter then the rest.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:29 AM
noximus

Funny post lol

i think what it comes down to is what truggy is actually capable.

The Kyosho dialed in and hopped up is definately there, along with the new Muegn Truggy.

i dont think the new Losi should be considered simply because its still in the testing stage, it hasent been manufactured to the masses.

The Kyosho, Mugen and Jammin are all capable, pick or choose whatever the case may be,.

what seperates these kits for us little people are durability factors, Mugen is as durable as it gets! the STR is durable as sin when built correctly.

so my Vote would be B and then A just becuase the Kyosho cost more over the Mugen.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:28 PM
GabeBoudreau

Awesome...I included the Losi Truggy because it will be out very soon. This poll is not a ranking system, but more to gain a feel of what YOU the consumer wants and needs for satisfaction. What I wish to accomplish was explained above. I am in the process of creating a new RC manufacture group for the racing side of our hobby. It will be aimed and targeted at racers or people who wish to become racers.

This doesn't mean that I only care about racers. I care about the entire hobby in general and the health of the hobby supports the growth of the racing side. My aim and goal is to produce a product superior to what is avalibe on the market now. The price range will be higher due to the higher quality and craftsmanship built into every kit. My goal is to produce a 100% American born and bread racing Truck and Buggy for competition. That includes Engineering, manufacturing etc. I think that this can be accomplished, or I wouldn't try.

I hope people continue to post in here. The company I wish to create is still in the late planning stages. I have been working on this idea and goal since 1995 so you know, this wasn't an overnight venture.

Another truggy that impressed me this past weekend was Marty Korn's GS STORM Proto Type. That thing looked DIALED and he easily won the 15 min main at Sun Valley Speedway in Los Angeles, CA. this past weekend.

Thank you guys for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it. Also so you know, I have seen the production Losi Truggy run this weekend (full production arms, tranny, chassis everything) and have pictures and videos listed here on the site.

For the videos, go to www.rcuvideos.com and type in my name. For the pictures just click on my profile button and sort through the 100's of pictures of racing action that I have!

Thank you again, and have a Merry X-Mas and a Joyful new years! 2007 is almost here!

Gabe "Commandrow" Boudreau
www.gabeboudreau.com
www.tchobbys.com
www.sikmonierecords.com
www.goarmy.com
Old 12-19-2006, 11:22 PM
AlphaAuriga
My Feedback: (17)

I commend you on you effort!

One thing I would think, is with you being in he hobby as long as you have, you'd have ideas on what worked and what didn't. Asking the "masses" is not a good gauge. As you can see from the above posts, some people admittedly picked a particular vehicle because that was what they owned. Most people are in this situation. They can only afford one, hear about how good a certain brand is and believe that to be better than what they have. Nothing wrong with that.

I would think if you are looking at funding something like this, a new truggy/buggy, you'd buy the top-of-the-line truggies, set them up, have a good test driver along with yourself and some others and do you own evaluation to make a determination as to what IS the best of each....

The Tazer PRT truggy is a good example IMO, where the builder had an idea of what he wanted out of a truggy and built it. Sure it shares some parts with Ofna, but there is alot of custom parts to address items such as gear ratios, weight, durability, adjustability.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:25 AM
robmxrider

What counts most to me:

strenghth/dependability-mugen is best, although the losi looks pretty beefy, especially the shocks

parts availability-jammin/mugen/kyosho are all good, especially on-line

tunability-not only how much but how easy- tied, all have good points and bad

suspension travel (longer arms!!! narrow the chassis, make the diff as narrow as possible)

parts quality- what are the chassis braces made of, is the chassis milled, how thick are the shock towers, suspension arm holders- again alot of this is dependability but also bling

hex hardware-mugen, jammin-but mugen stuff is better

is it prebuilt?-i would much rather build it myself, which is why I'm going to be buying a mugen mbx-5t instead of waiting to see how the 8-t does.

I would say quality drivetrain components are the mont important, as that is stuff you don't want to have to modify, or worry about blowing a diff, shock towers/chassis braces are easy to replace with better components.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:33 AM
badxlt

well i know it looks like i posted the mugen to be the best couse i owne one but i have had a CRT that was stolen and then i bought a TTR ST1 and it was crapp so i have a ideah of whats good and i like the mugen. but my dad has the lsp and friend has the str and my friend cant get the rear set right so that it dont take out the gears so it was put lower on my list. and my dad like his lsp it works great.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:36 AM
badxlt

but gabe if you want some one to test your truck out after you make one im the man for you if i like then you have a winner.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:02 AM
72dolphins

Mugen.

pivit ball front suspension means very simple changes to caster and camber.

shares the same center diff set-up, radio tray..as the buggy.

high quality plastics with a good fit.

uses zero off-set rims(easy to use with any wheel wrench)

has mud guards.

geared low, in addition to low weight, very .21 friendly.

long lasting drivetrain, user replacable pins and servicable CV joints.

long, coated shocks. with the threaded bottom caps.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:24 AM
badxlt

yeha the mugen is the crapp i love it. im running the os vg 21 and its bad i can twait tell race time.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:23 AM
RcRacer37E

B--- and the only reason why B over A, parts are just a bit cheaper.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:48 PM
mxrider131

hey what about the hpi hellfire or the mantis? I like the way they look and they ocme with bigger motors.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:19 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

so far i like the mantis. i've seen a couple of the other's but i like the mantis more. with a little setup to the shocks and steering it's pretty darn good for the price.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10350.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	581003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83210.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	581004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46597.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	581005  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.