Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Cen Matrix TR Arena

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:38 AM
CrazyMento

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cen Matrix Tr Arena

ORIGINAL: magbarn

What's the diff/gear oils I can use again to replace the stock grease to give my truggy a more "standard" diff feel? Hickerson's sold out of the cross-pins for at least 2 months [] I've scanned many threads and many views betwwen 10/30/5 or 80wt gear oil/20/grease. I'm mostly running at Pegasus track here in socal. Which is a pretty short track. Thanks!
How about call CEN? They are very close to pegasus, i am sure they know a setup that will work great for you .
Old 05-11-2007, 01:59 AM
Mystikal8885

With the LSD's the truck pushes a little more into the corners because of the power distribution. Since you can't get your hands on the crosspins anytime soon, I suggest that you try 80wt/10k/grease. You tuning will also depend on your gearing and engine power. Yeah, looking around and asking is also another good way to find the best setup, but you really need to start somewhere to get an idea what works best for your driving and track conditions. When you get the crosspins tuning will be a little easier since standard diffs gives you more control over the way the diffs react and power distribution. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:59 AM
DahlELama

80wt/10k/grease
Yup.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Namelessjoker

Do I need a Hump pack or a flat pack?
Old 05-12-2007, 06:30 PM
magbarn

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm going down to LHS to get 10K oil and the local auto parts store for the 80wt gear oil.

To namelessjoker: get a 3+2 hump pack. It will have 2/3A cells with 3 on the bottom and two on top.
I made the mistake of buying a 4+1 pack and it doesn't fit too well
This is what I'm running in my arena:
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMUE0&P=7]LINKY[/link]
Old 05-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Mystikal8885

the 5 cell hump pack is what you are looking for.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:36 PM
wriffwraff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whut up homies [sm=72_72.gif] finally got some pics of my CEN Matrix TR Arena RTR Truggy to post the last post i was jumpin' off about the RTR engine, however, that joint jacked up right after that post. it wouldn't even crank on the very next outting. [sm=angry.gif]so it's like, i got real like dr. phil and went all " grey's anatomy " on it and put in the .21 axe rossi competition engine that i bought awhile back. just as i suspected, " game over ", cos' the new engine is bangin' like a locomotive hey, and the kicker is that i didn't have to take a chainsaw to my chassis to make mods to the flywheel opening as previously discussed. the ofna chrome top starter box is compatible with bump start engines b/c they sit lower. so no mods required if you run a bump start engine[sm=wink_smile.gif] again, " game over ", as the truggy finally fires right up, runs and stops when i say so [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21920.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	683188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78252.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	683189  
Old 05-12-2007, 09:08 PM
CrazyMento

How much more fuel milage do you get withthe .21? I always wondering about that vs. 28 engine in truggy.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:17 PM
wriffwraff

how long does the .21 axe rossi mamba run on a tank [sm=72_72.gif] longer than the warranty stock .26 nx, no doubt. however, i haven't had the chance to time it, but i will on my next outing, and i'll let you know. to add to the savings on nitro, the engine is more powerful fer' sure. the truck now turns on three wheels, so it's like, forget wheelies, this thing is handin' out threelies [sm=omg_smile.gif]

ps: i sent the .26 back to CEN per their offer under warranty. hopefully, they'll make good on their word and send me the SH. it really won't matter though, cos' the axe rossi mamba is whut's up. i mean, if this engine is this friendly and reliable, i can't even imagine the crazy, mad delicious, willie wonka delivery of the .21 axe rossi cobra [sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61690.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	683197  
Old 05-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Dr. Gonzo
My Feedback: (1)

Have any of you guys used the air filter that came stock with the TR FRE kit?

How does it perform? Do you suggest any alternatives?

I just finished my build and went ahaead and installed the stock air filter unit, but would love to hear your feedback on it.

Oh, what is the black piece that I have circled in the photo? Some sort of cover?

Now all I have to do is build my new OFNA chrome top starter box and break in the LRP z.28 spec 3.

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Shark413

The item you have circled is a dust cover. It is supposed to deflect water/dirt from hitting the filter directly. But I find them to be too restrictive (air flow wise) so I never use them. Go with a foam outer cover instead.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:39 AM
CrazyMento

is it really better to run it with the air filter dust cover? i dont see the real benefit of using that.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:36 AM
DahlELama

The early FRE kits didnt come with that filter kit. They came with the same one the Genesis comes with. I never used it.

Dont use the dust cover. Like Shark said... too restrictive
Old 05-27-2007, 11:01 PM
morkendi

just won this, need the stearing bell crank. Is there anything else other than the diffs i need to do? And is there any way someone can link the hickerson diff for me?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7599&rd=1&rd=1
Old 05-28-2007, 08:59 PM
demann

The website is machines*********.com. Or you can call them at (941) 360-9270. Gene is there Mon - Thurs. After that it is sketchy, depending on where he is racing. I travel for a living and go to his shop once a month. I chew on his ear each time and he is very open with help. He also stocks an extensive Cen parts inventory.

I have had mine for 4 months now and love it.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:52 PM
wriffwraff

what's up cen crew [sm=regular_smile.gif] hey, for the first time, i made it to an area track. i absolutely loved it. i got two days of practice time in over the memorial day break. [sm=thumbs_up.gif] i can't wait to enter my first race.

oh well, let me get down to business. i'm posting online tonight b/c my track practice resulted in some issues. the first issue is the wing mount. the wing mount bent in a few upside down landings. so it's like i have to order another wing mount or perhaps just twist it back into shape. i mean, any ideas? i'm thinking an aluminum wing mount or something, cos' odds are, you're gonna' end up upside down. the wing mount is soft as all out. anyway, i googled the issue, and ofna came up, as they sell an aluminum wing mount for their truggy. if anyone knows of a solution for the wing mount, please let me know.

the other issue is gearing. the CEN matrix fish-tails and just simply slides around way too much on the low end. i like the power down low, but i just wish it were more controllable. also, i realize that i have to learn. having said that, i read somewhere that more bell-clutch teeth and a two composite shoe + one aluminum shoe would tame the low end spin somewhat. so i'm thinkin' of applying a mugen flywheel, one mugen aluminum clutch shoe + 2 composite mugen shoes, and a 15T mugen bellcrank [sm=idea.gif] i'm thinking that would tame the bottom end, until i can get my grubby little paws on an " anti-slide " kit, correct? [sm=49_49.gif]

my hope is that a mugen flywheel, clutch and clutch shoes will work on the cen truggy. i'm thinkin' mugen, cos' i heard that the flywheel diameter is larger than the cen flywheel, so that would help when using a starter box. so i don't know, perhaps, a 15T bellcrank with the hopes that that will smooth out the bottom end. along with that, i suppose i'll tune the diffs at [ 7K/10K/3K] or [80wt/10K/grease], as suggested here and there along the way.

so, anyway, please let me know if there are any aluminum wing mount applications for the CEN matrix TR arena. also, let me know if i'm on the right track when it comes to clutch-bell gearing and clutch-shoe set-up. i'll continue my search and reference online, as well. i know the diff conversion is whats up, but i'm just trying to get by until i can get one of the currently " sold out " differential conversion kits. i mean, i read that the diff conversion kit is unavailabe for the next couple of months or so. [sm=thumbs_down.gif] so i'm regulated to diff oil tuning, clutch shoe tuning and bellcrank tuning to straighten up my line. i mean, dig it, i was all over the track like " bo and luke duke " ((( yeeee-haaaaa ))) [ i drove " sideways " for the better part of the day ]

again, it's all good, as i was so impressed with the track experience over the weekend that i no longer want to run it anywhere other than the track. plus when i consider the time and money to run the truggy, i'm hard pressed to justify bashing around with it. tuning, track practice and racing is whutz up. [sm=punching.gif] i don't know, it was weird, cos' i had a yoda *** moment as soon as i hit the track... this thing loves the track and so do i [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

((( and i'm out )))

holla' back ya'll [sm=wink_smile.gif]

note alert: i've since researched and consulted with others regarding the cen matrix truggy's " slipping, sliding and fish-tailing " issues. the only fix for the track and racing is to rebuild the diffs with the cross-pin kit. guess i'll be giving gene hickerson a call for a hardened cross-pin kit, as there's no way around it if you care to race. it's all good though, as it will be a welcomed improvement.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:35 AM
morkendi

I just found out about the diff kit being sold out. What about the kyosho diffs that people used when they first came out. Anyone know wich ones they are?
Old 05-29-2007, 10:55 PM
CrazyMento

I read on the RC driver magazine and Sgrid that CEN cross pin diff is alreayd available.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 PM
revofreak

i just traded for a matrix TR FRE, and am converting it to brushless. i'll have updates, for those who want them.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:03 PM
chrobar

sorry for this stupid question, but I'm on the market for a truggy and I've been researching, I thought I decided on the MBX5T, but the price is way too much for now (I'm a high schooler). Anyway, I wanted to know if the Cen Matrix TR came with a 7075 aluminum chassis, the buggy does but I don't know about the truggy..? I may have some more questions along the way. Thank you all.
Also, is there anything I should know about the truck before I buy it? Anything unusual at all? Thank you again.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:49 PM
CrazyMento

as far as i know, yes 7075. the shock tower is the same on buggy/truggy. The chassis is diffeent but mine is very though. I am sure its 7075

its very easy to drive. YOu wil like it. get a extra servo saver, its the weak link on the car during crash. Its like $10 anyways
Old 06-05-2007, 08:13 AM
wriffwraff

ORIGINAL: CrazyMento

How much more fuel milage do you get withthe .21? I always wondering about that vs. 28 engine in truggy.
finally got to " stop-watch " the .21 axe rossi mamba engine in the cen matrix truggy. when i timed it at the track, it ran for like 13 mins and 30 seconds before it shut down... the tank was bone dry. keep in mind that i'm a novice, so it's not like i was running consistently fast or anything. i was just trying to get around the track without flipping it... which i did flip, several times, on the doubles. anyways, right now, my driving style it all " gunning, running and breaking " i run as fast as i can where i'm confident, break and power spin through the turns and break before powering over the doubles or tabletop [>:] so, it's like i'm " leaping " through, not over, the obstacles, breaking then gunning through the turns and goosing down the stretch. TMI perhaps, but hey, i'm excited about the track son [8D] so, i'm offering it up for anyone who cares to read about the mad " wildness " of the cen matrix tr arena truggy with a .21 axe rossi mamba engine strapped to it

the spektrum electronics, dx2 radio, 9000S and 9000T servos have made a big difference in my ready to run. hey, but that's compared to the gumball machine " skyion " electronics that are installed stock... shoot, even " the dollar store " would pass on " skyion " [:'(] hey and to add to my challenges, the spektrum 9000S servo locked up on me right after install... and that was well over three weeks ago. as it stands now i just have the 9000T on the steering and a stock servo on the throttle, until horizon hobby returns the 9000S under warranty. again, it's been over three weeks now. so, for the moment, i'm fuming, cos' it's like, once again, everybody got paid, and i got hosed, while the manufacturer takes a hoagie sandwich, cola and barbeque pork rinds break with my $114.00 dollars in their pocket. [:'(] " note to self and others: go with hitech hi-torque servos "

oh well, it's all good, as i still have to rebuild the diffs using the cross-pins, slap on some red mugen springs, change the shock and diff oils and throw on some 23 mm dish wheels [no-offset] and new tires. i've heard that proline crimefighter tires are a good start. hopefully, they make the 23 mm wheels [no offset] and tires that will fit the cen matrix truggy.

oh well... time for me to get to work to pay for all of this, so... ((( and i'm out )))
Old 06-05-2007, 08:41 PM
pooldoc

I've read this whole thread now and must say wriffwraff is one hilarious dude. If you put that writing humor to use you could afford your own pit crew, all you'd have to do is drive!
It is good to see you going thru your ups and downs with your TR, you're learning, like all us old rc farts did at one time, this hobby takes a lot of work and devotion to get right, I commend you that you haven't just given up and smashed the TR.
You're stickin with it[stubborn is a plus in this hobby] and sounds like you're wippin it now. You discovered what a race track is all about, its fun to bash, but the competition[to me anyways] makes it all worthwhile.
Please keep up with the interesting posts, I've busted a gut many times reading you. Best of luck to you, Pooldoc

just got an email from Gene, he has the diff conversions in stock.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 PM
chrobar

got a link or part number? Thanks
Old 06-06-2007, 03:43 AM
DahlELama

Hey Wriff.... I have a fix for your wing mount as I have wasted a couple of these too....

1. Move the wing stays to the inside of the wing supports by drilling holes in the stays large enough to fit the wing braces through.
2. To keep the wing stays from moving inwards... drill a hole in the middle and run a screw through each side (RED Arrow)
3. I also added a screw and a brace underneath to keep the wing from ripping through again in the event of a nasty end over tea kettle... (BLUE Arrow)
4. To run a downforce wing like the JConcepts, I also made a simple spacer and mounted it on top of the wing stays (YELLOW Arrow). This spacer is just a plastic suspension holder that I cut in half.

I'm telling ya... this mount is tough. It doesnt strip or budge. Yeah... you lose the ability to adjust the wing but I never fool around with that anyway.

e.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.