Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Official Hyper ST thread!!

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Official Hyper ST thread!!

Old 07-04-2007, 08:04 AM
nitro _ burner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hyper ST thread!!

I think youll find that most other motors are more faster, more powerfull and eaiser to tune than the stock.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:13 AM
adam-69

sweet, cause its being a right pain in the **** atm, its running around 280-300 degrees, not giving me the power or spped i need, and cannot hold its tune at all. i think ill just wait and see if it has any more speed to give, cause i have the go 28 sitting here already tuned, just takin from my matrix buggy which now has a go .21 7p in it
Old 07-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Wolvenborn

I'm still working on breaking in my new engine as well. It's seeming to get faster and faster as the days go by, but still probably needs to be tuned a bit (and being completely new to this sport, I'm having to rely a bit on the guys at the local track).

So far I'm loving this thing....I only have a few minor issues:

1. Needing to ziptie the battery to the chassis. I purchased a NiMH rechargeable, and noticed right away (as many suggested here) that it needed to be secured in some way.
2. Every once in a while during driving it just dies....I've yet to troubleshoot this problem yet. It's only happened 2 times thus far (I probably have 10-15 tanks through the engine thus far).
3. When I got the switch to have an external way to charge my truggy, the cord wasn't long enough. It's barely poking it's head out of the receiver box....and it's a pain to plug in. I need to find a better way to thread that outside the box, or find an extension.

Either way it's a blast. I'm sure once I get ready to start racing competitive I might throw a better engine in the truggy...but first order of business will be replacing the radio.

Here are some pics of my truggy before getting it all dirty

Old 07-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Wolvenborn

By the way, anyone know for sure if the Hyper ST comes stock with grease or oil in the shocks? Tough to find this stuff in the manual. heh.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:59 AM
sirvancealott

ORIGINAL: adam-69

sweet, cause its being a right pain in the **** atm, its running around 280-300 degrees, not giving me the power or spped i need, and cannot hold its tune at all. i think ill just wait and see if it has any more speed to give, cause i have the go 28 sitting here already tuned, just takin from my matrix buggy which now has a go .21 7p in it
Mine had the same problem of running hot and not holding a tune. Check your gas tank lid and make sure its sealing properly. Pushing down on the lid firmly after refueling helps to resolve this issue. I eventually went with the picco p3, which seems to be working out a lot better.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:37 PM
bcane98
My Feedback: (4)

For all those who are having Mac Star 28 temperature problems... If you are running 25% or less Nitro then you need to remove the silver head shim... Oh and get rid of the stinger deflector...

A friend advised me how to tune my STS30 running 25% nitro and Med Hot plug (MC59) and it worked... thanks supertib... I was having the same issue, so I started thinking about what he said and did the same thing as my STS... To make along story short I made my way to the removing the silver shim and leaving the copper and it runs in the 250's now. I am not sure if that will work if you run anything with higher, so attempt at your own risk. It took approximately 2 tanks to tune it in after I removed the shim...

And now for the pics...

Old 07-08-2007, 01:18 AM
zJatoRad

Hey guys i'm thinking in selling my hellfire (too many diff problems) and buying a Hyper ST, this will be strictly for racing, how are yours holding up? what offset do the wheels have? does it come with a rechargeable battery pack? I already have some nice Hitec servos, a JP1 pipe but I was thinking in maybe getting another engine? or is the stock macstar worth?
Old 07-08-2007, 01:26 AM
bcane98

I would definitely get rid of the JP1... I tried it yesterday and WAY TOO MUCH low end... I got mine second hand with 2 tanks run through it, but is came with extenders (not sure why though). No rechargeable pack... You might want to hold tight as the Hyper ST Pro is coming out, but if you need one right away the only upgrades I have read about that are a must is the steering bearings and the optional upgrades would be the Hyper 7/8 hubs and knuckles...

The Mac Star is a fast motor for stock, but it does run hot if you run anything less than 25% nitro if you do not remove the silver head shim... Myself I would like to get a turbo plug button (under head) for it, but I am replacing mine with an Axial 28 rr...

Hope this helps...
Old 07-08-2007, 08:15 AM
nitro _ burner

I have never understood what a turbo plug is, can somone explain??
Cheers.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:29 PM
zJatoRad

hey bcane when is the Hyper ST PRO coming out? do you have any website about that? thanks.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:40 PM
nye

I hear the Hyper St Pro will be available in august. Dont quote me. Cant wait to get some hop up parts.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:42 PM
nye

Have you gotten around to purchasing the new motor yet. I was thinking about the same one and wanted to know how it preformed
Old 07-08-2007, 05:45 PM
warriorking

ORIGINAL: nitro _ burner

Cheers.

Here is thread that I think will answer your question......
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6078476/tm.htm
Old 07-09-2007, 04:49 AM
nitro _ burner

ORIGINAL: warriorking

ORIGINAL: nitro _ burner

Cheers.

Here is thread that I think will answer your question......
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6078476/tm.htm
lol yeh cheers, i just read that thread before.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:03 AM
bcane98

ORIGINAL: zJatoRad

hey bcane when is the Hyper ST PRO coming out? do you have any website about that? thanks.
I have no clue on the date, but I keep reading soon... Here is the link to HoBoa...

[link=http://www.hobao-racing.com/off_road_truggies.php]HoBoa Truggies[/link]

ORIGINAL: nye

Have you gotten around to purchasing the new motor yet. I was thinking about the same one and wanted to know how it preformed
I just purchased a new Axial 28 rr... not really to replace the Mac Star 28, but more of curiosity. The Mac Star is pretty powerful for a stock engine. If there was nothing new on the market I probably would have stuck with the Mac Star, but that engine is now going into my sins Savage.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:42 PM
pballdale

im a noob [&:] which is better the hyper st, or the matrix tr arena?

~pballdale~
Old 07-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Wolvenborn

Both are solid truggies from everything I've researched. I had that very same question a month ago and ended up going with the Hobao (OFNA) Hyper ST....and haven't regretted my decision. I'm sure I would have been just as happy with the CEN, but honestly just go with whichever you feel most comfortable with. Either way you will end up with a quality truggy that will perform well.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:16 AM
nitro _ burner

ORIGINAL: pballdale

im a noob [&:] which is better the hyper st, or the matrix tr arena?

~pballdale~
Yep both just as good. It all comes down to personal preference and parts availability.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Wolvenborn

Bcane,
Is removing the silver shim a relatively easy process? Keep in mind this would be the first real *take something apart* for me regarding this vehicle. I'm brand new to nitro....so everything is pretty foreign to me thus far. I'm assuming there are two shims near the base of the engine....and you are saying just to remove the silver one? Could this have any negative effects?

I think I'm going to attempt this sometime this weekend...tonight I was running my Hyper with a new glow plug and at one point near the end of the tank of gas I saw a temp of 320. Scared me a bit, so I let it cool off. I recently leaned out the vehicle a tad (it was WAY to rich), but shortly after leaning it out the max temp I saw was around 280. This is the first night I've run a full tank of nitro through the Hyper ST with this new glow plug and it seemed to run hot (although the engine was REALLY screaming). I thought I might try this shim adjustment to lower the temp a bit. That...and I might need to look for a different glow plug?

Any advice regarding this adjustment would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:24 PM
sirvancealott

That macstar .28 engine runs hot. I ended up burning mine out. Are you running it with the body on it? If so, have you cut a big hole in the front windshield to cool the motor? Also, be sure and check to make sure the fuel tank lid is properly seated after refueling, or you could develop an air leak which will cause you to run hot. I push down on the fuel lid to make sure it has a tight seal. Removing the shim is no big deal, in terms of difficulty. Just be careful not to stip the hex screws when removing the head. Removing a shim will increase the engine compression because there is less space in the compression chamber after the shim removal. I don't understand how that would decrease the engine temperature, though. But, I don't know much about it.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:11 AM
jrau13

Im interested in how this will/would decrease engine temps as well.

What engines are you guys running in your Hyper ST's? Im looking for something better but dont want to spend over $400.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:26 AM
sirvancealott

I"m running the Picco P3. So far its been a really good, reliable engine.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:41 PM
bcane98

There is 4 screws that hold the head on... On a scale of 1 - 5, 5 being hard, this is no more than a 2...

Look at the glow plug
At 4 corners of the head you will see holes with a 2.0mm hex screw in it.
-- You might be able to see them through the fins...
Loosen each one until they have come out of the block.

Pick up the head up slowly
All the screw should be dangling...
The button (under head) will still be in the block.

Grab the glow plug and gently remove the button from the block.
The head shims will be located in the bottom side of the under head button.
Look at it from the side and you will probably see them... I believe the silver one hides the copper one. Be careful though they bend easily, so take your time.

I can't remember exactly why, but these engine are pretty much shimmed for 30% nitro. Supertib knows the exacts, so if I can find the post that explains I will post. Removing the silver shim will allow for lower nitro content fuels. That is the best I can offer right now.

Yes I did fill the front windshield full of holes with my reamer

The gas tank thing was a big myth with the Savage community in regards to the 1/2 tank lean problem... It is true if it is not seated properly then an air leak will form, but if you lid is not seated properly then the spring is no good and that means parts replacement.

Hope this helps... If you have any questions, comments or concerns you know how to get a hold of me...
Old 07-11-2007, 01:33 PM
xtr beast

just wondered wether a starter box could be used with a hyper st without changing any parts and if so which one
Old 07-11-2007, 01:57 PM
bcane98

Yes, but you need to remove the pull starter and replace with back plate... Every one raves about the OFNA silver starter box...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.