Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

TTR ST-1

Old 06-23-2007, 04:07 PM
fat1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTR ST-1

Well, I did it! I bought the TTR ST-1 RTR from A-Main. After months of research on the best vehicle to re-enter the hobby with I settled on this truggy. It was a combination of durability, performance, parts availability, parts affordability and price that made me get this vehicle instead of the CEN Matrix TR Arena, those were my top two choices. I was able to get the vehicle and all the necessary support equipment for $540 shipped. As I stated earlier I am not going to be racing so the price of a kit and its lack of advantages for my situation moved me away from them and towards an RTR. What would kick ass would be an RTR lower quality car in kit form. For those of us who dont race it would still be nice to enjoy the building process while learning more about your car and not having to spend twice as much to essentially get the same vehicle. I know the pro kits are a better quality, dont get me wrong, im just saying while bashing alot of those features provide little to no advantage. I hope I dont start a war with that statement. I priced the pro version of this truck and it was around $675 to get it with the same motor and electronics plus kit, Almost $1000 to get a pro race ready version with great electronics and engine, a real no-brainer for a basher is to go RTR, I just feel a little robbed of the best part of the hobby. Anyway, enough rambling, thanks to everyone for their advice and input, I dont think I heard a single negative word about this vehicle and only a few about the matrix TR. I'll let you all know how my re-entry to the hobby works out for me. Thanks again
Old 06-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Baja5BLST

Default RE: TTR ST-1

fat, you might want to post this in the TTR ST-1 thread, since it's dedicated entirely to this car. Congrats on the new car
Old 06-25-2007, 09:40 PM
gofastracer

I have been a tuner for many many years, and I went from 1/10 scale after many years, to 1/8 buggy, and I just picked up my truggy, teh ST-1. Simply powerful and yet graceful on the track. I also chose the RTR version because after having prior TTR cars, I know that alot of the aftermartket parts dont help the actual performance of it, just the look and the microscopic amount of weight reduction. I tweaked the truggy and took out the radio and used my spektrum. I am using the .28 TTR motor for now, but have a nice mod RB WS7III going in with a nice lowend pipe. I give it a few weeks of fine tuning, and it will be flawless, like my long chassis S3... I would however recommend replacing key parts with option parts.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:20 PM
jaywax

Don't feel bad because you did not get to build your own kit. Trust me, that first kit build is extremely difficult. All those bags with so many different parts can be overwhelming at first. It is good to start out with a RTR. You get to see all the parts together and how they work with one another. After running and working on the RTR for a while, the kit build will not be as difficult.

I know you wanted to save some money, but make sure you have about $45-$55 to spend after a few weeks with the RTR. After a couple of painful BLISTERS from using that pull start, you are going to want a starter box or roto start. This is a light affordable starter box.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHUC7&P=ML

p.s.
Be patient with break in of the TTR .28. After about 3/4 gallon it will really open up. Actually the .28 and .21 are decent engines. They are very capable and inexpensive. Amainhobbies sells them around $110. The ST-1 is going to look sweet out of the box. Nice looking truck.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:41 PM
biggy boy

ORIGINAL: jaywax

I know you wanted to save some money, but make sure you have about $45-$55 to spend after a few weeks with the RTR. After a couple of painful BLISTERS from using that pull start, you are going to want a starter box or roto start. This is a light affordable starter box.

Do you have this box? I was wondering how good the motor is in it, does it have a fair amount of power? the price sure is cheap.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:48 PM
fat1

Well, I bought it so I'll let ya know how it does when it gets here. I see that some of the high end starter boxes have dual 750's so Im not sure what good that is......think gigacrusher.

This is actually my 3rd RC vehicle, 2nd Nitro vehicle and 1st 1/8 scale. I bought a used RC10T2 as my first car then a few months later bought one of the first T-MAXX's and then 5 or 6 years later bought this truggy. one thing I noticed about this thing and it might be all 1/8 truggies but, I was in a school parking lot breaking it in with a few friends of mine. One guy had a T-MAXX with an O.S. .21 and the other had a Jato. They kept hitting the curb by mistake and rolling or tipping over or if they were going really fast they would cartwheel. On one of my runs i did the same thing going about 20-25MPH and it just stepped up the curb went about 20 feet and stepped right back off, very surefooted.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:01 PM
biggy boy

Truggies have a nice Low center of gravity
Get back to use on your opinion of the box once you have tried it out, I may be getting a box in the future if I get one more broken pullstarter

Glen
Old 07-02-2007, 10:00 PM
jaywax

ORIGINAL: biggy boy

ORIGINAL: jaywax

Do you have this box? I was wondering how good the motor is in it, does it have a fair amount of power? the price sure is cheap.

Yes, I have owned that exact starter box. It will work fine. Make sure you get 6 cell stick pack batteries. Also, with breaking in any decent motor, you should heat the engine with a heat gun or good hair dryer before starting. These batteries will work.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7803
Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 PM
jaywax

I will always recommend something that is decent and affordable. I understand that money does not grow on trees and the majority of people live on a budget. I always look for the best bang for the buck. You do not have to buy the most expensive items to have fun in this hobby. There are a lot of companies who make quality products for the average RC enthusiast.