Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Narrowing the Field to Three - Opinions?

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Narrowing the Field to Three - Opinions?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:13 PM
DCLINE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Narrowing the Field to Three - Opinions?

After all of my searching and deciphering, here are my three finalists: Comments positive and negative appreciated!!!

Team Losi 8ight-t RTR

Sportwerks Mayham ST RTR

OFNA Jammin X1-CRT-RTR

Is Sportwerks associated with Team Losi in any way?

Thanks!

Dan
Old 08-22-2007, 07:27 AM
chrobar

Default RE: Narrowing the Field to Three - Opinions?

Add the CEN Matrix TR Arena!!
Old 08-22-2007, 07:32 AM
Foxy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think Losi is associated with Sportwerks or vice versa, but I may be wrong. Of the three, the Losi for sure. I would also do as chrobar suggests and insert the CEN Matrix in place of the Mayhem.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:38 AM
fr430n

why have you omitted the mugen???
that has to be the most capable truck on the market right now, and i'm a losi driver!!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:29 AM
mordraid

Out of the three you have listed i would either get the jammin CRT or the losi eight. Depending on what your LHS carries.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:06 PM
DCLINE

Thanks for the replies! Since I'm obviously VERY new.......I was limiting to RTR's with the wand\shaft type starter. I just thought the pull start would be troublesome?

Dan
Old 08-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Foxy

I HATE shaft starts. It's just another battery to charge and another item to lug around. If you are not very good with pull starts they can be a pain, but I can start anythng with 2 pulls. Both systems require fitting of a less than ideally sealed backplate on the engine, so no advantage or disadvantage there. Eventually, you'll want a starter box, but in the meantime, my personal preference is pull start. It may be low tech, but it's simple and easy.

If you can afford the Losi RTR, then get it. There shouldn't be any discussion, it's hands down the best RTR on the market right now. People always complain about RTR engines and radios. The Losi comes with a good radio and a good engine. A rare thing. Don't think twice, if it's on the board, get the Losi (I'm not even a Losi fan, but the deal is too good on the RTR right now).
Old 08-22-2007, 04:01 PM
pballdale

ORIGINAL: foxy42

(I'm not even a Losi fan, but the deal is too good on the RTR right now).
He's not lying there, he ain't no Losi fan cough cough xray fan cough cough
Old 08-22-2007, 04:11 PM
annie_himself

ORIGINAL: DCLINE

After all of my searching and deciphering, here are my three finalists: Comments positive and negative appreciated!!!

Team Losi 8ight-t RTR

Sportwerks Mayham ST RTR

OFNA Jammin X1-CRT-RTR

Is Sportwerks associated with Team Losi in any way?

Thanks!

Dan
The Losi is the best choice, and yes, Losi and Sportwerks are associated with each other, thats why they use the same electronics and engines.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:48 PM
chrobar

I have the CEN Matrix TR Arena, and the first time I started it, it only took one pull. Ever after, NEVER more that 3 pulls. Just make sure you primed it right and you have a charged glow starter.
DCline, if this will be your first RC, I definitely do NOT suggest a truggy. Look into maybe a stadium truck like the Traxxas Nitro Rustler or Team Associated GT2, just to name a few, there are MANY more than just those.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:55 PM
redfox03

the thunder tiger st-1 has a pull start and is RTR, also has a pro version too.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:51 PM
CrazyMento

CEN Matrix... better performance, better equipment, better value / cheaper, and most imporatnly, easier and more user friendly. Its simply the best performance for the money.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:52 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: CrazyMento

CEN Matrix... better performance, better equipment, better value / cheaper, and most imporatnly, easier and more user friendly. Its simply the best performance for the money.
Most of this statement is not true. Do you own a Matrix by any chance? The Losi engine is better, the Losi radio is better, the Losi is equally good value but not cheaper, as for easier and more user firendly, how do you quantify that? The Matrix doesn't come with tyres or a body. Far from RTR. It's a good car for the money, but lets not go nuts...
Old 08-23-2007, 06:24 AM
fat1

are you saying the matrix has no body or tires? I know the pro doesnt but it looks like this one here does. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10615 I guess it doesnt specifically say so but RTR means just that. let me know
Old 08-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Foxy

Yes, it was the pro version that doesn't come with these items. Sorry for the misinformation folks. Thanks for making me check fat1. The RTR obviously does. Sorry 'bout dat!! [sm=red_smile.gif]
Old 08-23-2007, 09:23 AM
fat1

cool man, I was like OMG, I almost bought that instead of the ST-1 and I would have been pissed to get an rtr with no tires or body....
Old 08-24-2007, 01:52 AM
CrazyMento

ORIGINAL: CrazyMento

Most of this statement is not true. Do you own a Matrix by any chance? The Losi engine is better, the Losi radio is better, the Losi is equally good value but not cheaper, as for easier and more user firendly, how do you quantify that? The Matrix doesn't come with tyres or a body. Far from RTR. It's a good car for the money, but lets not go nuts...

Yes i do own it.. and the statements aretrue...i said " for the money " Losi does have better radio but it alsot costs $200 more than matrix...

Matrix RTR comes with Body and wheel/tire. ITs not an RTR if it doesnt comes with them.. http://www.cenracing.com/area51/51_truggy.html
Old 08-24-2007, 02:52 AM
Foxy

As you can see, we already established that I made a mistake with the tyres and body.

BUT, you said
better performance, better equipment, better value
That's 0 out of 3 I'm afraid. The losi is equally good value (even if it is more expensive) and is better performing and equipped.

At no point did you say better for the money. And if you had, I would have disagreed with you there as well. Sorry but it's not really up for debate, the CEN is good, but the Losi is better. A LOT better, it's the best RTR on the market right now. End of story. Funny thing is I'm saying this and I don't even like Losi, I'm an Xray fanboy, but you can't argue with facts.

I'm getting a bit tired of CEN owners pushing the Matrix TR down the throats of everyone who asks for a truggy. The RTR particularly is nothing special at all.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:44 AM
mtbkym01

I agree, I'm sure its a great truck, but so are many in the price range. Doesn't the CEN use 23mm hexes aswell, probably a pretty easy conversion to 17mm, but hey, give everything a chance, and of course the Losi IS the best RTR at the moment.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:08 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

I personally think it has alot to do with the driver. I dont care if you have the best truggy out there and the fastest motor, if you can drive your 400.00 car it will take the 800.00 easy. I personally drive a cen and I only have a 130 motor and it took first in the main last weekend. It beat the jammin's, losi's and all. Even on the start. These kinds of posts will be argued all the time. Its just opinions. I think the Cen is a great car. I like the jammin's also but the cen did the job at the last race thats for sure.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Clermont Hobby

I personally think it has alot to do with the driver. I dont care if you have the best truggy out there and the fastest motor, if you can drive your 400.00 car it will take the 800.00 easy. I personally drive a cen and I only have a 130 motor and it took first in the main last weekend. It beat the jammin's, losi's and all. Even on the start. These kinds of posts will be argued all the time. Its just opinions. I think the Cen is a great car. I like the jammin's also but the cen did the job at the last race thats for sure.
Are you seriously telling me that you won an a-main with an RTR Matrix? We are talking about RTRs here... I don't care if you're Jeremy Cortz himself, you won't win any mains with the radio and servos that come with an RTR. I bet what you've spent exceeds the cost of the Losi RTR, which really is almost ready to race and win out of the box. I'm not going to argue this any further, it seems like banging my head on a wall (that comment not personally aimed at anyone).
Old 08-24-2007, 10:23 PM
CrazyMento

ORIGINAL: Clermont Hobby

Are you seriously telling me that you won an a-main with an RTR Matrix? We are talking about RTRs here... I don't care if you're Jeremy Cortz himself, you won't win any mains with the radio and servos that come with an RTR. I bet what you've spent exceeds the cost of the Losi RTR, which really is almost ready to race and win out of the box. I'm not going to argue this any further, it seems like banging my head on a wall (that comment not personally aimed at anyone).
Yes, Jeremy Kortz can win A-main with a RTR if he is running against novice or sportsman. IN fact, any pro driver can do that. you really have idea about r/c car and this indsutry at all.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:44 AM
Foxy

After 20 years in the hobby, you'd think I might know a little something, wouldn't you? If you think that any RTR is a competent racer (my point from the start of this pointless exchange), then I'm afraid it's you who has a lot to learn. Lastly, who said anything about novice or sportsman? Enough now.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:08 AM
NJRC

I would say go for the Losi 8ight-T or the Jammin......however, you really should do more research on your own before you buy rather than ask a "which is better" question.

Do more research in parts availability at your local hobby shops, not the availability of parts online. Only reason I say ask whats available at your local hobby shops is because sometimes you will feel the need for supply on demand and not want to wait days for something to ship to you.

I have a Losi 8ight-T roller among other stuff as noted in my signature and so far I like it since it is very still new to me....but I also have 7 local hobby shops all in less than 20 mins from where I live that are open 7 days a week. Out of the 7 local hobby shops, 2 of them will carry some replacements for the 8ight-T while the others hardly or don't carry anything for the 8ight-T at all. Sure I shop online if I can't find what I need since my 8ight-T is just my racer that is used like 2 weekends out of one month but the other brands I have, I can easily walk into 4 out of my 7 local shops and get what I am looking for without waiting for online shipping.

Take your 3 choices, now research what is the most common part on each one that would break the most along with what parts are wear and tear items that need maintenance like bearings, clutch and stuff.....then just call your local hobby shop and ask them,...."hey, do you have so and so part in stock?"......if they say yes, then that helps narrow your choice down....if they say no, then you move on to your next truggy choice and ask what your local hobby shop has available for parts.

Not only is this a great hobby, but it is also a expensive one to maintain. Your choices are all over $400 each.....to me, $400 is alot to think about as you want to get the most you can out of it.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:31 AM
aznx2fine

I have purchased the LOSI 8IGHT-T race roller, as well as the 8IGHT RTR and the fit and finish of the truggy is one of the better trucks I have seen, one negetive, slop in the steering will develop fairly quickly and noticeably. Every wednesday my LHS runs a truggy night and we get cen's, thunder tiger's, hot bodies, jammin's and my truck seems to fly the most level when it hits 30 ft. with the help of a good driver it also won the silver state championships, so racing and jumping are covered. That's all i can input on for the choices you've given as I have only driven the 8IGHT-T. If you have any questions about the 8IGHT-T let me know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.