Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Truggy vs Buggy?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:10 PM
nuclear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truggy vs Buggy?

I have an 1/8 buggy and am thinking about switching (upgrading?) to a truggy kit. I'm considering the xray kit. What parts of my buggy can be donated to the truggy kit? I'm running a .28 in my buggy which I'm told is overkill, but is that the size of choice for truggies? Would I be better off with a .21 race mill? Truggies just look like too much fun not to try, what changes to driving style is there? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a recent truggy convert
Old 10-03-2007, 09:53 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Truggy vs Buggy?

Truggies are pretty much the same on the track, just easier and smoother to drive. A .28 isn't overkill in a truggy nor a buggy, but in a buggy it's not ROAR legal.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:07 AM
ttoks

for racing a good race .21 mill is a better choice, they regularly make very similar power to many .28 engines, but they don't make the torque, which is what you want, the torque from the .28 mills just spins the wheels exclusively which slows you down and gives you less control.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:47 AM
azzman

.28 is DEF overkill in a buggy...not so much in a truggy tho...but nearly! ...a .21 race mill will use less gas, provide you with more than enough power, but wear out quicker...
Old 10-04-2007, 04:53 AM
nuclear

I'm glad to hear that a .28 will spin you out lot. I did some racing at the club level and no matter how gentle I was with the trigger finger it would try to whip the back end around. I think I'll put the .28 in the new truggy until it gets tired and replace it with a .21 race engine.
Is the x-ray truggy on par with its buggy counterpart? I'm leaning towards x-ray because I've heard people who own that brand won't go back to anything else be it for ease of building, durablility and adjustability. The Losi 8ight-t and Mugen are also possibilities--comments?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:11 AM
Jatohulk

ORIGINAL: nuclear

I'm glad to hear that a .28 will spin you out lot. I did some racing at the club level and no matter how gentle I was with the trigger finger it would try to whip the back end around. I think I'll put the .28 in the new truggy until it gets tired and replace it with a .21 race engine.
Is the x-ray truggy on par with its buggy counterpart? I'm leaning towards x-ray because I've heard people who own that brand won't go back to anything else be it for ease of building, durablility and adjustability. The Losi 8ight-t and Mugen are also possibilities--comments?
Nothing beats an Xray XT8. I own the xray touring car NT1 and love it. I will soon buy an XT8 I have order the engine already which is the Ninja .28 with a Nova 9853 pipe..
Old 10-04-2007, 06:22 AM
ttoks

both the x ray and mugen are pretty much on par in terms of performance and durability, but the mugens instructions are very vague so it can be a pain to build, and the mugen is about 200 grams (half a pound) heavier then the x ray, and the mugen costs more even if only by a few dollars, i'd go with the x ray, they are leading the truggy, and buggy scene in my opinion.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:50 AM
DriftProjectR

why not the 8ights look at the 8ights?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:09 PM
nuclear

Even though I've heard, no change that-actually I've seen the Losi perform very well, (the local fast guy has one and no one can catch him) the hobby shop that I deal with doesn't carry Losi. The x-ray is also anywhere from from 50 to 80 dollars cheaper from what I've seen anyway. There aren't alot of shops around, so being on good terms with who you deal with helps. I could pick any one of those kits (x-ray, mugen or losi) and be happy with it, but x-ray's reputation for attention to detail has put it over the top for me.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:24 PM
deus1978
My Feedback: (3)

We don't have any Xray truggies out here but from what I've read, they are top notch.

As far as Mugen or Losi goes, we have a mix of both out here and they are both great truggies, you can't go wrong with either one. My choice would be Mugen, but that's just preference.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:28 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I really like my Xray XT8.

I like all the Hudy spring steel CVD's outdrive's etc. I did add TQ suspension holders, one piece quick change mount and a metal front brace, all Xray parts, but that is it.

[link=http://lstforums.com/video/P7Evo2_XrayXT8.wmv]Video: I was running a .21 while practicing last weekend..[/link]

XT8 is on the left.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:21 AM
nuclear

Is the .21 the engine you normally run in the truggy? It looks like it hauls pretty good!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:08 AM
2DMaxLST!!

I have a Ninja .28 but in 90% of the conditions and tracks that I run at, I am faster with a .21.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:18 AM
ttoks

you seem really rough with the throttle 2D, your basher roots show when your driving, for me i get much faster being smooth on and off the throttle and on and off the brakes then jabbing them.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:02 AM
2DMaxLST!!

It is a bad habit and hard to break, sometimes it is like a reflex and I don't even think about it while I am doing it!!

Do you have some track video??
Old 10-05-2007, 06:03 PM
ttoks

nah. haven't been able to run in a while, and wont for another two weeks, our track at the moment is just a BMX track, havnt got the councils permission to build a proper track yet, i'll see if i can get some vid next weekend if i can get my new engine broken in by then.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Vigilante212

2d that would be a nice track, but it appears a bit overgrown I guess they dont change layout very often. The track i race at changed layout 3 times this season alone it keeps things interesting.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:34 PM
gtsum

I raced an 8ight buggy for about 6 months and then went to an xray xt8 truggy..for what it is worth, here are my thoughts:

The trugg is much, much more forgiving on the track. You do not have to be as precise and it will help make up for driver errors. I was always in the a main with the buggy, but I was consistantly 1-2 seconds a lap slower then the fastest guys (they are real fast). I would have 5-6 great laps, and then 2 bad ones (that could be the 8ight though..they need to be driven smoothly). With the truggy, and racing it every weekend the past 2 months, I am in the A main and am faster then I was with my buggy (same tracks). The rougher the track, the better the trugg will perform vs a buggy. I do believe that the very fastest guys out there are a little faster with a buggy, but most people I see that switch, or run both classes are faster with their truggies..

Xray Xt8 - the 8ight went together very well, but it is nothing like putting together an xray. Xray parts and quality are much better. Hudy spring steel is nice as well. The instruction book is the best I have seen also. I can''t say I would never go to another company (as I like to try new things), but what you hear and read about the xray quality and ease of build is 100% correct! Also, the truggy is great...it accelarates like an 8t and jumps like one, but is much more stable imo...it can be driven hard and it will not bite you in rear (like the 8t can do). It likes to be driven hard like the Mugen...It has more steering then you know what to do with. There are 2 weak points on it though - 1) E clips...you can get the tq suspension set (about 95 bucks) and that takes care of it, but there are a LOT more adjustment options with that, and as it is, the truck already has a LOT more adjustments then an 8ight...). I will put the tq parts on it here in a bit for piece of mind, as I am learning about the different adjustments and how they affect the handling (I actually had em, but sent them back) 2) second weakness is the shocks. To me, they are just not as smooth as the Losi shocks...I finally got a good setup (Grey mugen springs with 50wt losi oil with 1.3 drilled pistons front and 1.4 drilled pistons rear) and it works much better then stock, BUT some aftermarket big Bore shocks are gonna be on the way (I have seen some on another truck and they are smooth as butta). Bottom line, the truggy is more fun and faster for me, and the xray is great!
Old 10-06-2007, 10:29 AM
2DMaxLST!!

ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

2d that would be a nice track, but it appears a bit overgrown I guess they dont change layout very often. The track i race at changed layout 3 times this season alone it keeps things interesting.

Our racing season goes from Jan 1 to Dec 31 every year. This year we had record rainfall in June and July and the track got away from them. It is being torn out and redone this week for a RCPro race.

gtsum: I agree the shocks are not as good as others on the market. I'm kinda hoping that Xray does their own version of BigBore shocks. Which gray losi springs??

I put these boots on mine last night.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:46 AM
gtsum

2d - I used the grey mugen springs (the ones for their big bore shocks). They are softer then the xray light blue springs (which are softer then the dark blues). I am running losi 50 wt oil all around with 1.3 drilled pistons front and 1.4 drilled pistons rear and this is the best setup I have tried yet. Also, you do not need near as much preload with these springs, since they are longer. The shocks feel much better with 4 hole pistons then they did with the 2 hole ones. I did check out some kyosho big bore shocks the other day and they are like butter...man, they felt good. I think I am gonna try the KMW big bores though...heard nothing but good things about them (brass pistons to boot..no plastic anywhere!)

also, what shock boots are those (losi 8ight's?)
Old 10-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Jatohulk

Question guy: When I get my XT8 being that it is a truggy would keeping the Savage X be like having two of the same Truck. If you guy have the Savage X and the XT8 would you not use the Savage X and just use on truggy more.. I do not want to have the Savage X just sitting there.. I ask this question because maybe it has happen to your guys... All I have heard of the Truggy is that it is more fun...
Old 10-06-2007, 11:06 AM
2DMaxLST!!

It all depends on the person. I would not dream of bashing my XT8, track only.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:07 AM
gtsum

jato - once you get the xt8 and drive it, I doubt you will drive the savage x much...I had an lst2 and I never drove it after I got my buggy and truggy...vastly different machine for sure
Old 10-06-2007, 11:09 AM
ttoks

truggies are a heap of fun, handle well makes for awesome fun in the turns, very high speeds, very durable as well, but i never gave up on the MT's hen i got it, took the stock revo out today and has a blast, i suppose any RC is fun for me, i don't focus on the car, i focus on the fun i'm having wit hit, no matter what it is, i have just as much fun wit the 8ght T as i do with the LST2, the modded and stock revos, the muggy and my inferno GT.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:09 AM
2DMaxLST!!

I actually prefer to race my LST.

gtsum, those boots are a Xray part#, it is in the picture.

gtsum, when you say drill your pistons you are just making them into four hole??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.