Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:18 PM
-=NitrageN=-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

Oh, and one more thing, if anyone else is interested Cal Naughten Jr. was #25 for Old Spice, and Jean Girrard was #55 for Perrier Water... other than these guys and Tony Stewart...stock car racing sucks...also i hate Jeff Gordon. thought I would pass that on and say Howdy.

This may be dangerous and irresponsible, but I sure do love fig newtons!!! -R.B.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:25 AM
qaiz

ORIGINAL: -=NitrageN=-

Couple of things....

1) is the 2 speed tranny from the factory really worth the money, and if so is it fully adjustable? i.e. can i set it up to boost top end, or inversely set it to hard shift faster, at 10 mph to reach current single speed tranny top end faster? Where can i buy some aluminum shoes for it (even if you can't see them, you know they're peeemp. [8D]

2) Does anyone know where i can get legit custom decals made at... I just about killed the stock body learning to drive a couple of my local tracks and im doing a custom paint job on a clear body... I'm looking for racing numbers 26, a fig newtons logo, and yes... a wonder bread logo... That's right gentlemen, i'm building a "ricky bobby" nitrage; complete with white wing and slotted black wheels...

thanks for the help...
Alright

First answer, IMO NO.!.

I havent had any experience with it, and would'nt wanna. Theres a person here who has it, RCPowerHorse, I think.

PM/Check with him, he might be able to give you some info on that.

Um Aluminum Shoes, do you mean clutch shoes, no idea.

About the custom decals', check with any graphics shop, they should be able to do it for you.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:59 PM
-=NitrageN=-

yeah gaiz i was looking for a reliable and adjustable set of clutch shoes that would work with the tamiya stock clutch, or if you would like to recommend a nice upgraded clutch kit i'd be thrilled to look into it.

p.s. where are you guys buying your replacement parts from? i orded a set of D parts to replace the A-arm in mine from Tamiya factory in California, USA and took about 2.5 weeks to get it [X(]. This was mostly due to them ONLY offering cheap-o ground shipping and it took 5 days to ship from factory (why i have no idea, was supposed to ship in 3 from factory, additional 6-10 working day ground ship [&o]). Not sure about you guys but i NEED mah 2-day air... that allows me to use the truggy like a 5 kilo wrecking ball and be able to run the next weekend too...

gracias mis hermanos por tus tiempo.

I wanna go FAST.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:54 AM
rcpowerhorse

sorry nitragen i read your PM before i read this so i didn't realise
Old 02-10-2008, 03:02 PM
elliotxxx

Hi, a great place on ebay with a lot of part is Vellrip.
I think it is located in honkong, quick shipping and a lot cheaper that in the US!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:17 AM
rcpowerhorse

jason's store is good too
Old 02-11-2008, 11:21 AM
-=NitrageN=-

Hey guys thanks for all y'alls help, but i'm going to turn in my truggy at the LHS today and ask for a refund....

Short and sweet, i bought it trying to get into the game for 325 with new motor (stock motor also included!), pipe, and set of extra tires...Guy at LHS said it was a great deal everything worked great, "you'll love it" he said.

The real story...it had a cracked A-arm that broke after 2 minutes of play time on soccer field (been waiting for over 3 weeks for replacements the LHS guy said he would get for me...he still hasn't ordered them), the "new motor" was just about blown, and after 5 minutes of total drive time.... died. The stock motor has some lances in the cylinder, a Dent/CHUNCK missing off the top of the piston from where it hit the rod when it OBVIOUSLY blew (it's seized up and wont turn). The "New tires" dont fit on my Nitrage (they fit a monster truck tho), and the LHS guy that i bought it from has been dodging my phone calls/has a customer/wont return messages. i thought "hi, its nitragen, my number is ..... plz calll back" was pretty clear....

To stop ranting, any clues as to what i should be putting my money towards after i take it back?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:32 AM
qaiz

Hyper ST all the way.

Mine had to go too, well by that I mean, I had to put it aside.
I havent had the time nor the money to build it up.
It needs new everything.!
Tho it was extremely worn.

Was a really good truck while it lasted, well all good things come to an end........
Old 02-11-2008, 10:30 PM
nauticar

ORIGINAL: azzman

Well there must be a reason for the price cut...the reason is he wants it gone...now it could be because he needs it gone for a new one they are bringing out (he wouldn't want both in the shop) or he just wants it gone because they arent selling very well and its been sitting there for too long...
Now if Tamiya were to replace the Nitrage this soon with a better model...well it just about sums up what I think of the Nitrage really...[:'(]

Hey if its an offer you cant let go, then go for it but it would have to be WELL below the $300 mark to make it worthwhile... (IMO)

EDIT: No offence Qaiz...[8D]
dude, youre right about the store owner wanting to get rid of the nitrage. it's been there for about half a year! here truggies are not that popular as 1/10 touring cars or buggies.

i was hoping that tamiya was going to replace the truggy with something better but the nuremburg toy fair showed nothing, only a new crawler stole the show.

february's releases include a 1/10 nitro buggy and quite a number of electrics. no 1/8 truggies tho.

the nitrage is a fine truggy to have fun with - only thing that could have been better would be the availabitly of breakables (like the steering arms or suspension arms). even the screws that came with the nitrage are not available as spares and im looking at third party rc companies to equip my nitrage with a complete set of replacement screws lol

thats why qaiz is taking so damn long with the rebuild (either that or he's spending all his time with his hyper lol!)

for a NIB rtr nitrage i think below $300 is a little pushing it (a decent .28 or .32 alone costs more than half of that!) i would say in the region of 300-350 would be a good deal. which is why im holding on to my cash for a little while first for now lol
Old 02-11-2008, 10:45 PM
nauticar

Couple of things....

1) is the 2 speed tranny from the factory really worth the money, and if so is it fully adjustable? i.e. can i set it up to boost top end, or inversely set it to hard shift faster, at 10 mph to reach current single speed tranny top end faster? Where can i buy some aluminum shoes for it (even if you can't see them, you know they're peeemp. [8D]

2) Does anyone know where i can get legit custom decals made at... I just about killed the stock body learning to drive a couple of my local tracks and im doing a custom paint job on a clear body... I'm looking for racing numbers 26, a fig newtons logo, and yes... a wonder bread logo... That's right gentlemen, i'm building a "ricky bobby" nitrage; complete with white wing and slotted black wheels...

thanks for the help...
hi nitragen welcome to the thread! for your questions,

1) depends on how you drive your nitrage. bashing? high speed runs? shelf queen? i personally find it worth the money, because my nitrage is an on road truggy. for bashing you might be better of spending your money someplace else (like spares, replacement motor, fuel, servos, etc).
yes its adjustable, depending on your application. you can set the 2spd tranny to engage to 2nd gear earlier. the stock setting is too slow to engage in my opinion.
about the Al shoes, i have no idea, sorry.

qaiz didnt buy the 2 speed for a good reason. if he had bought them he would have shelved his nitrage sooner lol. this thing can be a rocket.

2) about the decals - i could have sworn i read about something like that in this forum. try doing a search to see if you can come of with anything. i saw a vendor on ebay too but i have no say whether theyre good - custom decals are not really my thing sorry lol....(your ricky bobby idea sounds trick tho haha!)
Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 PM
nauticar

Hey guys thanks for all y'alls help, but i'm going to turn in my truggy at the LHS today and ask for a refund....

Short and sweet, i bought it trying to get into the game for 325 with new motor (stock motor also included!), pipe, and set of extra tires...Guy at LHS said it was a great deal everything worked great, "you'll love it" he said.

The real story...it had a cracked A-arm that broke after 2 minutes of play time on soccer field (been waiting for over 3 weeks for replacements the LHS guy said he would get for me...he still hasn't ordered them), the "new motor" was just about blown, and after 5 minutes of total drive time.... died. The stock motor has some lances in the cylinder, a Dent/CHUNCK missing off the top of the piston from where it hit the rod when it OBVIOUSLY blew (it's seized up and wont turn). The "New tires" dont fit on my Nitrage (they fit a monster truck tho), and the LHS guy that i bought it from has been dodging my phone calls/has a customer/wont return messages. i thought "hi, its nitragen, my number is ..... plz calll back" was pretty clear....

To stop ranting, any clues as to what i should be putting my money towards after i take it back?
ripped off. sorry to hear about your nitrage dude.

like qaiz said a hyper st would be good (no experience, just reading from user reviews) but if you really want to enjoy playing with your truggy i say go with the one with parts readily available at your area, or at least with parts readily available. this of course going with the budget you have set aside to sustain your interest in nitro truggies.

whatever the brand of truggy is, it's gonna rip apart one day and even if you get a supposedly high end truggy but parts are slow and expensive to get, you'll be shelving the thing sooner than you want to.

i dont know the full scoop with your LHS but if i got a screwed kit from my LHS i wont ever step into his store. the world has changed and became smaller but some LHSs (like some where i live) think that they are the only ones in the world selling RC stuff.

i did A LOT of reading from whats available online before i bought my nitrage, no regrets!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:23 PM
rcpowerhorse

well nitrages are built like brick walls once i crashed mine into a tree and the only two things that broke were the bottom wishbone and the ball collar on the damper cap. qaiz also crashed his at high speed and didn't do much to it.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:50 PM
-=NitrageN=-

Just to give you guys an update on my woes...

So i went to Super-A-Number-One-LHS-usa today to turn in my truggy and do this ==> [sm=punching.gif] to LHS owner guy.
I said my peace, ask for money back, he say ==>[sm=pirate.gif] no way Jose. (he doesn't really have an eye patch)
To which i retorted... (code for, "Where's The Ferret?!") in front of him and a few customers, of course i kept my [sm=shades_smile.gif] while i did that
He then agreed that he's been slackin on mah parts and his end of the deal, so he starts to work with me on some stuff.
I suggested we work on it together and get it running, he said no. Told me to take this NEW orion .28 motor home and fix it myself... [sm=what_smile.gif]
SHIBBY! new motah fo freez! I though it would end there, but then somethin magical happened... He proceeded to show me MORE uber luvin. [sm=thumbs_up.gif] My non-fittin wheels got upgraded to a new set of prolines, with some REAL nice new mulcher spikes (with bottle-o-tire-glue) a gallon of 20% to break'er in. He tossed in some pimpin' pink fuel lines an 8 pack of turbo glow plugs for the trubble...

He also offered to fix a tire/wheel match up that my roommate bought two weeks ago for free (sold too big a wheel and to small a tire to my boy Eric), even though we already glued 'em together. As a side note, if you put your chrome wheels/mudding tires together and your truggy looks like its sittin on some hawt-ace twiny-fauhs (that's actually the phonetic spelling of how they say 24's here in south carolina) at the local wal-mart on a saturday nite... your ****e don't match up. It did look good on his GS-xut pro tho.

Forgive my digressions , here's the summary... LHS guy helped me go from [:@] to [&:] in about 20 minutes with lots of free stuff. I still own my Nitrage; i bought a micro 1/36 losi from him (which he knocked down to 50 bucks) as a way of saying thanks for all the swag... His tactics worked, and i orded some replacement parts for my chopper from him instead of off the 'net, and now were bestest buddies for life.... unless my new motor tanks....

STILL ==> -=NitrageN=-

Everyone look away...were going to make animal noises now...don't look! Seriously there's going to be growling, don't look! -Ricky Bobby
Old 02-12-2008, 12:06 AM
qaiz

Congrats Bro.

Wish my LHS was remotely as helpfull.! That orion motor will rip, its a pretty good motor.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 AM
rcpowerhorse

he he i just got my spare engine today, i gotta wait till 2moz to break it in as now i have to do homework and tidy everything in my room
Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 AM
qaiz

What engine did ya get.

If you say OS .30VG, good luck to you with that engine.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:09 PM
-=NitrageN=-

Howdy, I've spent the better part of 8 hrs trying to break in this Orion WASP .28 turbo motor (6 port i think? probably 4 tho)...

* I didn't think it would have taken more than 4, man was i surprised...*

I've done as good a job as I can with it. Digital temp gun, close monitoring of RPMs and richness etc. Worked the first tank out between 160-170 degrees, 2nd tank between 180-190, third between 200-220... I now need help with the settings for final tuning to run. If anyone has prior experience with these motors plz PM me, for general ideas reply in post (don't want to clog the board with lots-o-engine tech-ing...

The high-point adjustment is out approximately 5.25 turns from all in
The mid-point adjustment is all the way in? (i couldn't exactly locate this and was recommended to leave at all in; preset from factory)
The low-point adjustment is out 6.5 from all in...

The engine seems to be VERY sluggish/difficult to start, and is seemingly possessed by a "Revving Demon". By that i mean with throttle trim completely off, and idle speed more retarded than i am; its wanting to take off and maintain approximate 1/4 throttle burn (able to roll at speed on its own power). It is also "taking off" on its own in an oscillating power band (revving up and down in cycles).

Could this be due to a too rich a mixture? Should I try to lean out the HPA screw while leaving the LPA screw as is? Any ideas or experience with this that could help me get back to bashing? Also is it normal to advance the idle speed to start and have to ween it off as it warms up (that's how im getting it to start right now)?

Thanks for the help guys, any GOOD advice will help and be appreciated. Heck if it works i'll fax you a case of beer!

-=NitrageN=-

Seriously though, i've put a lot of my eggs in the MTV basket...you know, the real world. Yep got a lot of eggs in that basket... -R. Bobby #26
Old 02-12-2008, 11:50 PM
nauticar

Howdy, I've spent the better part of 8 hrs trying to break in this Orion WASP .28 turbo motor (6 port i think? probably 4 tho)...

* I didn't think it would have taken more than 4, man was i surprised...*

I've done as good a job as I can with it. Digital temp gun, close monitoring of RPMs and richness etc. Worked the first tank out between 160-170 degrees, 2nd tank between 180-190, third between 200-220... I now need help with the settings for final tuning to run. If anyone has prior experience with these motors plz PM me, for general ideas reply in post (don't want to clog the board with lots-o-engine tech-ing...

The high-point adjustment is out approximately 5.25 turns from all in
The mid-point adjustment is all the way in? (i couldn't exactly locate this and was recommended to leave at all in; preset from factory)
The low-point adjustment is out 6.5 from all in...

The engine seems to be VERY sluggish/difficult to start, and is seemingly possessed by a "Revving Demon". By that i mean with throttle trim completely off, and idle speed more retarded than i am; its wanting to take off and maintain approximate 1/4 throttle burn (able to roll at speed on its own power). It is also "taking off" on its own in an oscillating power band (revving up and down in cycles).

Could this be due to a too rich a mixture? Should I try to lean out the HPA screw while leaving the LPA screw as is? Any ideas or experience with this that could help me get back to bashing? Also is it normal to advance the idle speed to start and have to ween it off as it warms up (that's how im getting it to start right now)?

Thanks for the help guys, any GOOD advice will help and be appreciated. Heck if it works i'll fax you a case of beer!

-=NitrageN=-

Seriously though, i've put a lot of my eggs in the MTV basket...you know, the real world. Yep got a lot of eggs in that basket... -R. Bobby #26
I still consider myself a noob in nitros - and I found the engine tuning guide under the "car Nitro and gas engines' forum (by hpi apollo) to be immensely helpful. perhaps you might want to take a look at that?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:18 AM
-=NitrageN=-

sorry to fill up the forum guys, i solved my problems...i think.

The fuel/air mixture needle in the carburator was sticking and not allowing proper mixing. This is partially due to the factory being WRONG in my opinion. I found that the carburator was not functioning at the recommended 6-6.5 turns out, but rather at 8-9. Anything less than 8 and it was causing the needle to get hung up and was giving my ALL KINDS of trouble, that and a new engine exhaust seal and it's working like a.....well oiled machine?!

I'm a sucker for puns...

With any luck, i'll have 'er all tuned out tomorrow morning...and then i can let the blisters on my fingers start healing 'cause boy are they raw after today....

-=NitrageN=-

"Yep, i'm flying through the air....this is not good..." -R. Bobby #26
Old 02-13-2008, 01:08 AM
qaiz

Good you got it working.

Aah Pullstart Blisters, mine are just about healing up after 2 weeks.!

Tho saying that, I prefer a pull start to a roto start or bump start! With the pull start all you need is to carry a glow plug thingy around.!

After your engines all broken in, it'll fire up on the first pull. Mine does that, like half way and its up and going.

Im slowly but surely building up my Nitrage, I love that truck. Gonna be throwing a Surefire .32 in there with higher gearing. Also replacing EVERYTHING with new parts + universals all around. Its about 20% done. Still got a long way to go.

I might just get all aluminum parts for it, not too sure about that.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:06 AM
rcpowerhorse

i got the ofna .32 qaiz just for a spare
Old 02-13-2008, 06:53 AM
nauticar

ORIGINAL: qaiz

Good you got it working.

Aah Pullstart Blisters, mine are just about healing up after 2 weeks.!

Tho saying that, I prefer a pull start to a roto start or bump start! With the pull start all you need is to carry a glow plug thingy around.!

After your engines all broken in, it'll fire up on the first pull. Mine does that, like half way and its up and going.

Im slowly but surely building up my Nitrage, I love that truck. Gonna be throwing a Surefire .32 in there with higher gearing. Also replacing EVERYTHING with new parts + universals all around. Its about 20% done. Still got a long way to go.

I might just get all aluminum parts for it, not too sure about that.
aluminum parts? like?
Old 02-13-2008, 07:12 AM
qaiz

I know someone who can fabricate whatever I want. Like a arms, shocks, everything...!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:23 PM
HitTheDirt!

Just got my Nitrage a few weeks ago. Weather here hasn't been that great, so I only got it through break in, but it was the smoothest break in process I have ever had with a nitro.

I just love the Tamiya nitro's, they have given me the least problems in craftsmanship and tuning of all Nitro's I have ever owned, and I have owned quite a few.

It is a little on the heavy side. I just bought a Losi Mega Baja (LST2) and it is much bigger, but to my surprise weighs a lot less than the Nitrage.

Have you guys messed around with weight reduction at all?

Any official word on the 2 speed tranny?

And Yes.......Jason's Store on eBay is great. I am a Tamiya Club Member for a long time, and 2 of the favorite Tamiya sellers on eBay are Jason and StellaModels.

Here is a picture of my Nitrage.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:26 PM
qaiz

Like your air filter and welcome.

About the 2 speed.

RCpowerhorse has it.

I wouldnt recommend it if you drive off-road. You have to rip out the center diff, and that practically kills the handling.

You have to get that thing dirty

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.