Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Breaking in Hyper st UPDATED with Tuning issues

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Breaking in Hyper st UPDATED with Tuning issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:43 AM
sn00p

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Breaking in Hyper st UPDATED with Tuning issues

Also... when the truck is still and place with all 4 wheels on the ground the steering will not work very well because of the servo saver.... if you lift tye truck it should turn fine. as for the hitec 645mg they are NOT as powerful as the stock servo but should do the job just fine. They are a more reliable and stronger servo imo. i use 1 for the throttle in my truggy and always used then for steering on my savages.

I suppose you know about the steering adjuster on the transmitter??? have you accidentally move it? this adjuster will maximise and minimise the amount of movement the steering servo will give out. try moving the steering via the controller (transmitter) and see that you get full movement in both directions.... basically the turnbuckle should just touch the inside rim of the wheels on each side when on full lock. Use the adjuster or trim dial on the transmitter if stock or i think you may have the the DX2 in which case someone else will tell you how to adjust the e.p.a end point adjustment or possibly the exponential.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:09 AM
Big Daddy05

Thanks Snoop! I took the steering columns apart and cleaned it, seems to be much better.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:23 AM
sn00p

nice 1. i swapped the bushes out for bearings too. Makes it a lot less sloppy but be carefull when washing the truck down with water to WD40 it afterwards as the bearings tend to seize.... like they say with every up theres always a down.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Big Daddy05

Just an update:

Got rid of the mac star- replaced it with Jammin .28 and JP-2. I will let you know how it is, but from everything I have read, and everyone I talked to, said that this Engine Rocks!

As for the steering it does seem better since I took it apart, I still might upgrade the servo to a higher torque/speed, but for now this will do.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:53 AM
sn00p

sweet post back with results.... id like a new mill myself but i just cant justify it yet as i have the mach* running fine... i know it will be down on power over many of the other .28's but for now its plenty enough power to handle. I personally wouldnt bother swapping out the 645 servo they are a great servo yes a little slow and there are other more powerful servos available but its plenty good enough until you have spare cash anyways.... I hope to be using mine over the weekend (weather permitting) and see how the 13t clutch bell works out on the dirt. Im also just about out of nitro and i see modelsport have byrons genII listed for this month... going to be ordering up some 30% this time and i here nothing but good reviews regarding the genII stuff.

The jammin .28 did you get it new??? and what kinda starting method are you going to use??? pullstart/bumpstart or roto??? and also let me know how you went about fitting like does it need to be shimmed, clutch used and bell, motor mount and spur gear etc.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Big Daddy05

The jammin .28 did you get it new??? and what kinda starting method are you going to use??? pullstart/bumpstart or roto??? and also let me know how you went about fitting like does it need to be shimmed, clutch used and bell, motor mount and spur gear etc.
Hey Snoop. I got this engine new from my LHS. I am using a bump start, so this engine has no pull start. As for fitting and installign it, the guy at my LHS did it. I figured at this point I want it done right and I am not comfortable with that part of my ST. My plan is to get it broke in, then I will tune it. Once I have some laps on the track, then the guy at the LHS is going to help me with the clutch. For now he just replaced the springs.

FYI- I paid $300 for the engine, JP-2, and clutch springs, including install. I am sure I could have saved a few $$ if I bought it offline, but then again with shipping it probably would have been close. Not to mention that this guy is going to help me when needed.

Everyone at the LHS was saying that this truck is going to fly with this engine.

I can't wait till it stops raining so I can begin the break in process.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:17 AM
spikeitaudi

Bigdaddy,

Good job in support the LHS. That is why they are there to help as needed.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Big Daddy05

Jammin .28 w/ JP-2 update- I finally got to start driving the ST around with my new mill, and wow! Even though I am barely giving it any throttle, it clears the doubles. I can't wait till this engine is broken in and can be tuned.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Big Daddy05

Hey guys, I got to the track today. Temps in CT were close to 70, (about time). Anyway, I finally got to let loose a little on the Jammin 28. A couple of guys from the Hobby shop helped me tune it. This engine has great low end and top end with the JP-2 pipe. I can only compare it to the Macstar, but this truck with this mill had everyone's attention, especially when the owner of the LHS took it for a rip. Now all I need to do is learn how to drive. LOL! Anyone looking to replace the MacStar, this is a nice engine for the Price $199, and Pipe $79. You won't be disapointed.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:53 AM
TRock

Glad to hear I am not the only one having troubles with keeping this motor in tune. I am also glad to hear about the Jammin' motor being a good switch, I already got a vantage pipe, so the new motor is next. The Roto start in these motors doen't work well because the one way bearing always gets saturated with fuel and oil. I have moved to an Ofna bump box and do not have any trouble starting the motor.