Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Muggy,Nitrage,or Hellfire--Which one?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Muggy,Nitrage,or Hellfire--Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:34 AM
hohmfree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muggy,Nitrage,or Hellfire--Which one?

I am new to the nitro hobby. I have run electric (grasshopper back in the day), now I am looking to buy one of these: Muggy,Nitrage or the Hellfire.
I will start as a basher, however, I will probably build own dirt track to race against friends. I doubt I will ever race at a real track. I have read alot of forum posts, and would like some input.
Thanks
Old 02-11-2008, 01:38 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Muggy,Nitrage,or Hellfire--Which one?

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...er07Goseck.flv

Old 02-11-2008, 02:09 AM
qaiz

Its not me to say this, dont go for the Nitrage. Skip the hellfire and go for the muggy.

You'll be much happier, the HPI is just an expensive toy, and dont get me started on the Nitrage. Muggy is the best you have on the List.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:14 AM
rcpowerhorse

why shouldn't i get you started on the nitrage?????????
i thought you liked that car
Old 02-11-2008, 03:25 AM
azzman

Go for the muggy...
Old 02-11-2008, 05:33 AM
UG0TB4NN3D
My Feedback: (1)

I thought Muggy was "Clutch Killer"?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:47 AM
stussman

The hellfire ss is ok, if you get a good price.The rtr has alot of issues and over priced.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Coopz

Hellfires are OVERPRICED for what they are and how they perform.
Don't know much about the Nitrage, never seen one up close.

A Muggy would be good for bashing, needs a few upgrades but they are just cheap upgrades, comes with a good engine and it looks cool.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:22 AM
qaiz

@ rc,

The nitrage is a fine truck, i should know i have one. But a muggy is just better. If the question was Hellfire VS Nitrage, id say go for the Nitrage.

It comes down to personal choice.

PS : sorry for the punctuation mistakes, on the phone internet right now waiting for the Hobby Shop to open so I can get some glow plugs and a fail safe. Im tired of having this thing run away.!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny you should ask between the only three truggies I WOULDN'T buy.

They all have their pros and cons, and if you MADE me pick one of those, it would be the hellfire, as it's the closest to a real racing truggy. Truth is though, I'd rather have the much cheaper Thunder Tiger ST1 than any of these.

The muggy is the illegitimate offspring of an LST2 and a truggy, the nitrage is just too WEIRD, and the hellfire is at the low end of racing trucks, or the higher end of bashing trucks, depending which way you look at it. Personally I'd go for a more conventional racing chassis from one of the more racing oriented brands.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:45 AM
qaiz

Was just gonna say what foxy said about the TT ST1. There are quite a few cheaper and more race oriented trucks out there. Jumo onto the TT ST1 forum, Hyper ST forum, and even look at the X1 CRT, thats a complete race truck.

On another note I just got my failsafe xD. Now how do you install a failsafe.?

xD
Old 02-11-2008, 08:38 AM
HerrSavage

foxy..., with all due respect.., I wish people would stop criticizing Muggys on racing grounds.. Truggy racers will just have to grow to accept that not every truggy is for competitive racing.., and bashers are in truggy forums to stay.. For those who mostly bash and now and then like to run around a track or just fun-race with friends, the Muggy is a great truck.. The Muggy is not in the same group as the X-rays, Mugen Pro-specs, etc... But rather more in with Savages, LST2's, and Revos, etc... And though I do believe the ST-1 is a nice ride, and un-ignoreable at amain's current price, I'd still take a Muggy for a big day of bashing any day... Minus the 15 degree carriers that came on my used roller which give me an oil-tanker turning radius, I wouldn't worry a sec about meeting one on a track either..

The only legitimate criticism of it is that it needs some tweaks out of the box. I probably wouldn't buy one new, but having gotten mine as a used roller with most of the necessary hopups already isntalled(single-servo carbon tray, captured hinge-pins, etc..), I'm very pleased.. (For the money, for bashing and occasional running on a track, I'd get an LST2 if it had to be new... And yeah, if more racing, less bashing, the ST-1..) The wheels are too big and heavy, which causes the clutch problems, so you need lighter truggy wheels, and probably a better clutch. The one-piece motor-mount is yet another step in the right direction, cuz it limits chassis flex.. Some people say using a 12T CB solves all the clutch issues, but I don't do that cuz I want more top-end.. And I will admit, my Mug has had some clutch issues, and I haven't yet quite found the right set-up..(well, I've experimented quite a bit - 3 different engines for ex, roto, pull, and now bumpstart, etc etc...) But the Mug has never caused me stress, broken a part, or in any other way been anything but really good to me.. The wheels/clutch thing is the only legitimate criticism IMO.. So what if it's got big LST2 shocks?? They're cool....

I've got a €900 Hyper ST Pro sitting here - I actually took it with me to the track yesterday, but never took it out of the car cuz I was running the Mug - and running out of time.. Point is, if I KNEW at this point(I don't..) that I definitely wouldn't be getting into organized racing and would just be exclusively bashing and occasionally fun racing on tracks, I'd probably sell it now and just keep the Mug for all-out bashing and fun-racing on the track.. It shares parts with my LST2, it's tough as h.ell, it's huge, it looks good, and it's like fun and stuff to run over other trucks.....
Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW
The Muggy is not in the same group as the X-rays, Mugen Pro-specs, etc...
My point exactly, it's not a truggy. I never criticized it on racing grounds, either.

There's no need to defend it against me Patrick. I know it's a great car, it's just not for me, I'm just giving my personal opinion. I've said time and time again, for clarification, that I am a truggy purist. It's the same reason I don't like the Nitrage, I just can't bring myself to call it a real 'truggy' in my mind, although it's the closest fitting description, it's just NOT a truggy, and neither is the Muggy. Like I say, no need for anyone to defend these cars, they're all good in their own right, this is just my own humble opinion, and I'm saying I'd go for a traditional truggy chassis over any of these in a heartbeat, for any reason, bashing or racing.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:04 AM
HerrSavage

Fair enough.. But isn't it kind of a slippery slope to get into truggy "purism", when truggys are basically just buggies with longer arms and bigger wheels, right?? And a Muggy is really just a burly truggy with bigger shocks...
Old 02-11-2008, 09:11 AM
qaiz

Muggy = Monster Truggy

I really really like the huge bores you got in yours Patrick. I want :P

I didnt read your full post.

Please someone tell me that the Hyper is atleast a half way decent truck or I am going to kill myself.!

Patrick, run your Hyper, you dont know what your missing out on.! It handles awsome, Im guessing itll also a good racer. But have never raced the Hyper.

YeT.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:32 AM
HerrSavage

Here's a litte size comparison..

Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 AM
slayerphonics

Muggy is a cool truck, really fun to drive.
Don't let them hate on you Patrick
Old 02-11-2008, 09:43 AM
qaiz

Patrick, how mad would you be if I stole your body (The Hyper).

Ive always liked the muggy. Quite a cute looking truck.

Ive never ever liked the Savage, no offence, id only own a truggy OR a baja
Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Foxy

Nice pic slayer, and please don't think I hate the muggy. It really looks like a great bashing truck, lower CG for less flipping, yet still huge shock travel, if anything it has the advantages of a truggy (except weight) and a monster truck, and few of the disadvantages. I respect it as a car 'in between classes', and it's an impressive looking truck, if I wasn't into racing (or should I say if I didn't USED to be a racer), it would be a car that interested me, those huge shocks are way cool. However, as a truggy, there are others I'd have. And yes, truggy purism is a slippery slope. . Before anyone says 'post your definitons of a truggy', I won't, I don't need a disagreement, and whatever anyone else says is unlikely to change my opinion. My definitions are not unreasonable, but none of the cars in this thread fit them, even the hellfire (it's only missing one criteria though , where the nitrage and muggy are missing quite a few).

Qaiz, Hyper ST is a great truggy, don't worry.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:10 AM
hohmfree

Thank you for all of the replies up to this point. I am really enjoying all the comments.
If you go back to my original post, I will not do any formal racing, just casual racing on a homemade track with some friends. I don't even know if there is a track within an hour drivetrime from where I live.
I must say, as of right now, I am leaning towards the Muggy. Thanks for the cool pics, Patrick.
I have not decided yet, so I am going to sit back, and keep reading those replies. I love the pics, and I am open to suggestions.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:37 AM
qaiz

Well pics were requested
Thanks foxy, wasnt sure if I made the same mistake again.!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:39 AM
qaiz

Here, so you can also see what a Nitrage looks like.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:58 PM
madmax22

They all have their pros and cons, and if you MADE me pick one of those, it would be the hellfire, as it's the closest to a real racing truggy. Truth is though, I'd rather have the much cheaper Thunder Tiger ST1 than any of these.
+1 if I HAD to pick one of these 3 i would pick the hellfire also. NO im not sucking up to tweety but just MIO the hellfire is over priced, the nitrage i cant get parts for and the muggy is a little to big for me. I love my ST-1.....
Old 02-12-2008, 12:08 AM
qaiz

Uh madmaxx.

It was foxy

***edit***

Well if I HAD to choose.!, Muggy would be my choice. IMO Hellfire is just an expensive toy, and nothing else. Nitrage is alright, and Muggy would be the one left.

But look at what local parts support will be like, there is no point in buying a truck that you wont get parts for locally. Other wise you'd have to order parts online, wait for shipping, and then get what you need.

Also stater earlier, there are many cheaper, better, faster, trucks avaliable. The marked is flooded with the amount of trucks right now.

Tho my main decision would be based on parts support.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Desert Concrete

Default RE: Muggy,Nitrage,or HellfireWhich one?

I have a Hellfire SS. It has an HO engine from the RTR I started with. I love the truck. It handles very well on the track we built at a friends house.We run very hard and fast and I haven't broken anything on the Hellfire SS. The track we built is very sandy and forgiving. I was wondering what it lacks to make it a real racing truggy. I haven't driven any other truggys so I have no reference. What trucks are better and why? I am also thinking of getting the new Associated RC8 after summer when it cools off. A friend just got one and it is an awsome car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.