Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

.21 vspec or .28 LRP?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:55 AM
pmr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .21 vspec or .28 LRP?

I narrowed it down to only two engines. The LRP .28 or the OS .21 vz b vspec? Before answering..remember you only have these 2 engines to choose from. Pros and cons?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:30 AM
supertib

Default RE: .21 vspec or .28 LRP?

LRP =sport engine
V-Spec = race engine
Old 02-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Portyansky
My Feedback: (4)

Vspec hands down. Holds a tune well and has a great power band. I can get 10 minutes on a tank of fuel with my truggy.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:41 AM
twomanytoys

The LRp also keeps a tune and its super easy to tune. If you get the truggy version it comes with 3 carb inserts so run times can be adjusted. Its got madd power and its smooth. Both are great engines. The LRp would have more power if you need it but if not then go with the OS.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:57 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

The LRp also keeps a tune and its super easy to tune. If you get the truggy version it comes with 3 carb inserts so run times can be adjusted. Its got madd power and its smooth. Both are great engines. The LRp would have more power if you need it but if not then go with the OS.

the LRP has more power in the low end..but they are pretty equal in the mid and the V-Spec has it bad on top end...my main track has a 175 foot straight and the Spec 3 just didn't have the legs to hold off the .21's..then when you add the mileage into the factor the Spec 3 was not overly competitive, on the big track the Spec 3 drinks alot of fuel, its the worst 28 I have run to date on fuel ...... It didnt seem bad on the short small tracks where the engine was in its powerband, but as soon as you take the Spec 3 into the upper RPM's power drops bad and mileage goes down the toilet......For big tracks it is definitely not a motor i would consider.......combined with a 13 mm crank and bearing its not a motor intended for continuous high RPM useage...... But for under $180.00 its pretty hard to beat, especially if your only racing sportsman Truggy....

also if your getting 10 minutes on a Spec 3 in Truggy you would get 17 minutes with a V-Spec, the mileage difference is nothing short of astounding........ on my track a Spec 3 can make 5 minutes ( barely) and a good .21 will get 8 to 9 minutes ( tops)... We run on a big open track where we are on the throttle all the time.....
Old 02-25-2008, 11:17 AM
slayerphonics

IMO- you should decide if you want a .21 or .28 then pick what motor you want,
Just a thought
Old 02-25-2008, 12:20 PM
IL2mSturmovik

There was a pretty informative article in one of teh rc mags debating 21s vs 28s.
In a nutchell they said that most race level 28s are just overkill on power, and ran faster lap times consistantly with a 21.
They said if you were gonna run a 28, that a racing one was unnecessary, which I tend to agree with as my 427 in my Jammin CRT makes more power than I can use or even put down effectively/
Old 02-25-2008, 12:24 PM
supertib

I also think you have to consider track surface being used... up here where I live we do not run on clay tracks, our tracks are dirt/soil tracks..So we require motors with some big balls if we want to be competitive....
Old 02-25-2008, 12:29 PM
spikeitaudi

OS21 V-Spec. Has enough power for racing. Proven engine and should have more runtime then the .28.

I was in the same situation except I was looking at the OS28 Truggy Engine and decided to go with the V-spec. Glad I did.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Mr.Slave

ORIGINAL: supertib

LRP =sport engine
V-Spec = race engine
eaxctly.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:04 PM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: pmr

I narrowed it down to only two engines. The LRP .28 or the OS .21 vz b vspec? Before answering..remember you only have these 2 engines to choose from. Pros and cons?

Racing, or bashing, or both? I personally would take the LRP (truggy version) for all three(and I might..), but I would never get that seriously into racing... If you're doing serious organized racing, then of course OS...
Old 02-25-2008, 06:29 PM
mtbkym01

Talking chalk and cheese here, like trying to compare a MT and a Truggy, both are cool, but totally different reasons for owning them. I've got the LRP and love it, but am gonna get a race .21 soon, so I have the choice
Old 02-26-2008, 08:29 AM
pmr

Okay okay........Vspec it is. Thank you for making my decision alot easier. I plan on racing anyway. I'm not the bashing type.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:14 AM
supertib

line up 2 truggies..one with a V-Spec the other with a Spec 3........... Both machines will launch out of the hole about the same, the LRP will spin the tires a little bit more, the V-Spec will stay hooked up... both will be side by side for about 50 feet then the V-Spec will start gaining ground on the Spec 3...by about 100 feet the V-Spec will have a truck length or so on the Spec, and by 175 feet the V-Spec will have about 4- truck lengths on the LRP..........It does not take long for a good .21 to put the hurt on a Spec 3, the difference in top end and RPM is very significant.........

A modded .21 makes every bit as much low end as a Spec 3, but has a similar mid and a much stronger top end..... My modded EVO 2 needs about 10 feet to pull away from a Spec 3, its not even a contest for the little EVO........Even when stock the EVO doesnt take long to get by the Spec 3......... So i guess I am trying to say a race .21 is also just as powerful for bashing as it is for racing....i run a .21 over a Spec because its faster ( we all know i love speed )

Now if you want the ultimate Truggy engine then a Ninja 28 is the beast to own......it runs from the spec 3 from idle to top end...the Ninja has more low end, but a smoother delivery with a much stronger mid and a ballistic top end....... If you have the $$$ and you need a .28 the Ninja is the only .28 i see having an advantage over a good strong .21.....
Old 02-26-2008, 11:20 PM
IL2mSturmovik

I may be running one of the Ninjas (Losi MRT .28/GRP) in a month or so
I have heard so many good things about this engine