Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

BCE JAMMIN 8T or MBX5T?

Old 03-11-2008, 08:08 PM
MightyMouse75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCE JAMMIN 8T or MBX5T?

So, I know everyone has their own personal favorite and this is always a loaded question, but what would you do..
I have a Jammin CRT right now, it's nearly a PRO Kit now, since i've upgraded almost everything on it.
I have the following motors .28 Axial, .26 Sportwerks, .28 Ninja....
So, I have an engine for a second Truggy, and I have the DX2.0, so I have 2 model capabilities....
The question is....
Should I just get the BCE upgrade for my Jammin, or should I get a new Losi 8T Race Roller, or a Mugen MBX5T Prospec?
Is there another top ranking truggy that I'm missing.
I have never raced my truggy, and don't know if I'll be any good at it.. I just tool around in the yard, and at the parks.. I'm not a maniac basher that tries to see what I can break, but I do want something durable. I LOVE my Jammin for that fact, but it seems to handle like a wet sponge.. I was thinking about the BCE chassis, but if that gets messed up I have to buy a new BCE chassis, that gets costly..
I was thinking it'd be best to just buy a 2nd Truggy, of course that's pretty expensive too!!..

So, let's here your thoughts.. I know how much everyone loves to give their opinion and how much threads like this one are loved and welcome..
Thanks in advanced!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 01:15 AM
turmoil

Default RE: BCE JAMMIN 8T or MBX5T?

i am a club racer. first you plan to race try a different diff set up like F 7000 c 10,000 r 3000 this will tame it down. on the jammin. i own a mbx5t and i run a werks b7 on *** with this diff set up and is fast and tough. I did have a jammin.28 on it , way to much power, as far as the 8t they are fast but the a arms seem a little weak. i a couple club members that have them and they keep breaking maybe they just can not drive
Old 03-12-2008, 03:43 PM
RcRacer37E

BCE chassis are great. I have one on my strr and I just race. Its durable enough for bashing but I couldnt see tossing 100 bucks plus just to bash around or not race. If you plan on racing, stick with what you have and replace once stuff as it wears out. If the chassis wears thin or gets bent, then BCE upgrade or even just a stock replacement.
You can toss a grand at any rc and still not run fast on a track if you dont get the basics down. Diff oils, shock oils, toe plates and alot of other stuff. Just start out basic and go from there. Most club racers will help out with set up tips for your track if you plan on racing. Seems every track has just alittle diffrent set up.
If I were you I would just run it till it breaks the upgrade. I also hear Jammin will have a new truggy out before long, about the time the truggy nats run.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:36 PM
MightyMouse75

Hmm, my reply somehow didn't post from earlier today..
Anyway, I have the diffs setup properly and have a nice setup sheet I found online for a smooth track, from there I have a good understanding of how the suspension should be changed up depending on the track setup, of course I'm not a pro or anything.. I do know my biggest problem with turning is that I dont have bearings on my ackerman or my steering posts yet. Still the crap bushings that ceased up on me.
As far as racing vs bashing and all.. I'm an RC car rice boy.. haha.. my brother and I noticed that we really want our truggies to look cool more than we worry about performance. Mind you, I'm changing my view on that and want both, a good looking truck that can perform. I tool around with REAL cars enough for speed and whatnot, but this hobby is sooo much better.. It's cheaper, and I can work on the cars in the house with my family rather than spending hours upon hours in the garage...
Anyway, I take pretty good care of my truck, I tear it down about every 3-4 hours worth of actual use, clean it, replace oils if they need to be replaced (they always need it in my opinion).. I am running a 10-7-3 setup I think. I'm also working on figuring out what gearing would be a sutible fit. I accidentally bought the wrong gears, so I now have the 8.5 front and rear diffs, they're 44T gears, so I'm not sure what sized Center I could use and still have the truck move. I have the Axial in it right now and will keep that for now and I run it with a 13T clutch bell for the low end grunt I like. The BCE chassis looks to be WAY better than the X2's from what I see.. The X2 chassis looks almost identical to the X1 chassis only the side with the Radio tray is cut down a little. The rest looks pretty wide to me. It also looks like it's using the 62T center gear, which means it still has the ultra high CG. I don't care for that too much..
I would much prefer a more narrow chassis and a smaller gear setup.. If not for anything then for some rotating mass savings..
Anyway, thanks for the input.. I'll keep it in mind..
-- does the Losi 8T break a lot?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:56 PM
crazy 8t
My Feedback: (3)

first awnser no the 8t never breaks really all the truck needs is maintnence to shocks a steering like make sure your servo saver is tight and that your bushings in the ackerman plate for steering has good bushings but i love love my 8t the best truggy ever period buy one
Old 03-12-2008, 05:03 PM
INTEGRA

Ill vote get another truggy...the old jammin can only take u so far imo....8T's are nice...so are Mugen's....there's Lots out there to pick and choose.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 PM
MightyMouse75

OK, so I think I'm going to do this..
I'm going to sell some stuff I have. Motorcycle exhausts and MG car parts and what not so I can fund my hobby further. Then I'll get the BCE chassis for the Jammin and change the gears AND I'll get an 8T..
Now.. Which Engine should go in which truggy???

I'm thinking..
Ninja in Jammin, because it's just heavy, sell the Sportwerks and the Axial and get a 427 Blue head for the Losi ( I hear that's a GREAT combo)
What do you think?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Truggies

I was faced with the same question as you. I looked around at the local track at what the other guys were running and saw several type truggies that cought my eye. but one just seemed to stand out above the rest simply due to the lack of it. one guy was running it, it was the Xray XT8 and it was out front. I wanted an Xray XB8 buggy last year but failed to commit due to the lack of part support from my local HS. But this time was different I ordered the XT8 and the parts I thought I might brake and have not looked back. I can say with full confidence that this is the best kit I have owned hands down. If you have not looked at the Xray XT8 then yes you are missing something and missing it big.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:12 PM
gilracer1

Location: manati puerto ricounitedstates pr, PUERTO RICO (USA)

i have a matrix buggy ,so far strong,in the way i have been waiting for my crt x1x to arrive,but in the near future i see my self buying a cen matrix TR fre, what about that truck... is well made ,good price , hop ups n the chassis is more longer than other truggys [X(]
Old 03-12-2008, 10:57 PM
INTEGRA

the Xray has issues to say the least....and so does the CEN.....but like Every kit...they ALL have issues...some fixable easier then other's....IMO there is No Ultimate BEST of the BEST truggy....it all boils down to oppinion's....but i think ur on the right track MightyMouse75..get both..then U can decide which is better.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:36 PM
MightyMouse75

I know this is going to sound queer, but I am trying to stick to American made something. I know I have a Jammin now and it's not American, but if I do buy a new truggy I am going to make every attempt at getting american.. ... (I know, the Mugen is from Europe). I am really limited as a result of this, I know that.
I think my options are the following, but Im not sure..

Losi
Associated (No 8th scale truggy yet.. ***!)
Robitronics
Castor
O'Donnell (If they ever do make a full production truggy kit)..
One's I'm really unsure of.. Thunder Tiger, CEN.... Not sure where either of these are made..

Old 03-13-2008, 12:19 AM
McFly505

NONE of these toys are MADE in America.

Some are designed in America, but they are made overseas.

The Losi stuff may be assembled in the States, as well as a few others, but make no mistake, they are manufactured overseas.

As far as what to get?

I also have the Jammin X1 and I am currently waiting on the BCE PJX chassis for it.(waiting for 1 month and counting)

I have been looking at ALL the other stuff out there and they ALL catch my eye.
It all boils down to personal preference. You may like the design/features on this one and not on that one.

Most ANY of them can win on raceday in the right hands. The one BIG thing I see so many people forget about when looking for/buying race vehicles, is that you HAVE TO BE ABLE TO DRIVE. Get lots of practice, get to know your vehicle.

I fell into this same trap that you're in. I've dropped MUCHO $$$ on the current CRT and fixin to drop about $4-500 more.
The 8ight-T's do well at my local track, just as well as ALL the other truggies on the track. We have guys/gals running 8T's, Kyo STRR's, XT8's, MBX5T's, X1's, etc, etc.....
Don't fall victim to the perception that there is one brand that will out handle/out perform ALL the rest. There is no such thing.

When I got my CRT, I couldn't drive for crap (still can't...lol), but the owner of the track was making almost record laps with my truggy.

It's 95% driver, 5% truck/car in this deal.

And believe me, I know what you mean about liking the 'bling' factor. I have $2K tied up in a RC8 and can barely drive it, but it looks GOOD.

By all means, if you got the bux, then buy all of them. I just hate to see someone searching for the 'magic' truggy/buggy to cure their lack of driving ability.
BTDT.

Hope that helps some.

Scott
Old 03-13-2008, 12:23 AM
McFly505

PS.

The X2-CRT is due to be released in the next 60 days or so.

The RC8T will be available shortly after that.

Rumor also has it, now that Gil has joined Kyosho, there is something new brewing in the K team labs.....fact or fiction??????

Who knows....

Scott
Old 03-13-2008, 06:59 AM
MightyMouse75

Okay, I think people think I'm looking for a truggy that will make me a good racer. I'm not.. I'm 150% aware that I can go out and buy a $90-$150 used Meyhem ST and kick everyones butts on a track if I'm some kind of racing guru (which I'm not). I'm just looking for something that comes with all the goods out of the box. the best bang for the buck Idea.
I LOVE the way the Castor Racing K8T looks, but NO one seems to carry them. They Have everything I would need in a truggy, right? Narrow Chassis, Low CG, Pivot Ball steering (for strength from what I read), universals, yada yada....
I like the way the Mugen and 8T look.. The x-Ray looks super hot, but $$$.. CHACHING!!! I've been seeing them for about $700.00 for the kit. I WILL NOT make the mistake of getting another RTR .. EVER.. I did that with my Jammin and have spent more than if I bought a Kit.
I wish I had the dough to just buy one of each!!
Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Truggies

I personally no of no real issue with the Xray Xt8 except the fact that some people think it needs super big bore shocks on it. Thats more of a fad thing I believe. I did put them on mine but only because I want the adjustable collars and threaded shock bodies, which I think should come in this kit but thats beside the point. Its like this, most any highend kit will work well with the right set up and skill behind the wheel like Mcfly505 said earlier. I chose the Xray because very few were running them and I wanted to have something different. I started to get the Mugen prospec and would have if the LHS had'a had one in stock when I walked in but i had to order it so I went with the Xray just to try something else. The Mugen Prospec deffinetly has the goods out of the box hands down. So if you want the best parts kit the Mugen Prospec has to be the way to go. The xray does come with some of the highend parts but not all of them like the Prospec kit does.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:52 AM
2DMaxLST!!

ORIGINAL: Truggies

I personally no of no real issue with the Xray Xt8 except the fact that some people think it needs super big bore shocks on it. Thats more of a fad thing I believe. I did put them on mine but only because I want the adjustable collars and threaded shock bodies, which I think should come in this kit but thats beside the point. Its like this, most any highend kit will work well with the right set up and skill behind the wheel like Mcfly505 said earlier. I chose the Xray because very few were running them and I wanted to have something different. I started to get the Mugen prospec and would have if the LHS had'a had one in stock when I walked in but i had to order it so I went with the Xray just to try something else. The Mugen Prospec deffinetly has the goods out of the box hands down. So if you want the best parts kit the Mugen Prospec has to be the way to go. The xray does come with some of the highend parts but not all of them like the Prospec kit does.
I don't know how many gallons of stick time you had on the stock shocks, I had several, but upgrading the shocks, for me, had nothing to do with being part of a fad. All truggies will have 16mm or better within the next 18months.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Truggies

I knew I could fire you up by saying that Fad thing!!!!!!! lol. I agree the shocks do need to be 16mm on all truggies. We have about 3-4 gal. on another XT8 (a friends) with the stock shocks and it done well but the 16mm biggies mad it better. There are a couple of other Jammin's running the 16mm's as well and they like them better also. I did want the threaded bodies and collars and could have gotten the Mugen shock in 14mm that would have worked fine but I figured that if I were goin to go i might as well go 16mm. Put your shirt back on 2D everythings cool. And don't let me catch you being a part of any fads in the future. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:03 AM
2DMaxLST!!

I had a lot of issues with the stock shocks, wait till you see how well the Super Big Bores work... I am amazed how clean the fluid is after lot's of run time. I used to have to change the fluid weekly with the stockers.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Truggies

Sorry for the Highjacking of the thread there MightyMouse. Seems 2D and myself went off on a tangent about Big bores. Now back to your topic. Have you thought much more about what your going to get. Hows the parts support in your area for the MBX5T Its a great truck with lots of goodies in the box. I think that would be a good choice between the 2 you are thinking of.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Oasis TR

ORIGINAL: MightyMouse75

Okay, I think people think I'm looking for a truggy that will make me a good racer. I'm not.. I'm 150% aware that I can go out and buy a $90-$150 used Mayhem ST and kick everyone's butts on a track if I'm some kind of racing guru (which I'm not). I'm just looking for something that comes with all the goods out of the box. the best bang for the buck Idea.
I LOVE the way the Castor Racing K8T looks, but NO one seems to carry them. They Have everything I would need in a truggy, right? Narrow Chassis, Low CG, Pivot Ball steering (for strength from what I read), universals, yada yada....
I like the way the Mugen and 8T look.. The x-Ray looks super hot, but $$$.. CHACHING!!! I've been seeing them for about $700.00 for the kit. I WILL NOT make the mistake of getting another RTR .. EVER.. I did that with my Jammin and have spent more than if I bought a Kit.
I wish I had the dough to just buy one of each!!
You can buy the Castor direct, It is a Nice Truggy..Plus Mugen parts will fit on it as well..bolts up..no mods needed..
One more "thing"..On your Jammin if you do the BCE X conversion it's like getting a new truggy..It completely changes the way the Jammin feels on the track..big grins..No more push, rotates awesome, it accelerates better, makes it lighter by at least a pound (for you non believers..my old Jammin was 1.3 lbs over the legal weight at last years silver state race..my friend now has my old Jammin..i had put the BCE chassis and small spur gear conversion, it was 6oz over at this years sliver state)..Last thing..on your steering rack if you put the bearings in it they will crack and freeze up..use the bushings, I use the Kyosho one..
Old 03-13-2008, 08:57 PM
gilracer1

Location: manati puerto ricounitedstates pr, PUERTO RICO (USA)

Mc fly , i agree with you any truggy or buggy is capable of amazing handling,is the driver how has the task of practice,learn about your buggy n understan the physical forces that involved jumping,conering,stopin n the radio control features that helps too....[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 03-14-2008, 07:24 AM
MightyMouse75

OK, so I'm adding it all up now....
New Diffs and all for the jammin = $120 or so...
BCE Chassis for the Jammin = $130 or so
and we'll just say Misc. Parts to bring it up to snuff.. $50.00..

So that's $300 to get the Jammin to be more the way I want it..
or ..
Losi 8T ... $430
servos ... I have 6 extras
engine ... I have 2 to choose from
receiver ... $50.00 for an S3000 or I can use the cheapo gear I have

$480 for the Losi 8T and I then have 2 truggies. ..
That does mean I have 2 truggies to maintain though.. which does = 2x the amount of time spent cleaning and whatnot, because I'd have to dirty both all the time because I just have that kind of a mental illness.

So, no one has really answered my question..
If the price difference wasn't a big deal would you get teh BCE chassis and gear reduction on the Jammin or would you just get an 8T or Castor K8T?

Side question- Will the Ninja .28 get my jammin to wheelie with the 13T clutch bell on it?..
and.. I have a Dynamite pipe on my Jammin now, should I stick with that or use the Pipe that I got with the Ninja? It's a Ninja Titanium pipe with Header and seals and all that jazz..
Old 03-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Oasis TR

Do you have any spare parts for the CRT? I bought most of my parts for my conversion on ebay..If the price was not an object I would still go with the BEC conversion, It "fixes" the problems with the Jammin..Lowers the weight, It NOW TURNS, It comes out of the corners with much more authority..and It's still very tough. The BEC X is on par (if not better) with any of the new truggies on the market..But NEW is nice..lol..Here's my Suggestion..Go ahead and get a new truggy..(Caster or Losi..etc) wait a bit..As soon as the V2 Jammin is out a lot of Ebay stores will be taking them apart and selling them bit by bit..buy the longer Chassis, the diff stuff you need to do the conversion. Pick up a few parts over a few months and you'll have 2 "new" truggies in no time at all..plus doing it this way you'll save a bunch..
Old 03-14-2008, 02:25 PM
vnmsgt

If it was the 8ight-T or the K8T I would get the K8T. I have driven both and I think the Caster is a better truck. Sure It does not have the Losi name or is popular like it but it turns better and IMO handles alot better on bigger track and blown out section. Plus it is so similar to the Mugen its crazy and compared to the Mugen it turns better. You can get all of the upgraded Mugen chassis and hop ups you want to along with the stuff caster makes which is just as good (ask OASIS he will tell you) and be in a superior truggy for alot less money.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:25 PM
MightyMouse75

Are you sponsored by Castor racing?
I only ask because you were one of the first to get one on the forum and talk it up Quite a bit more than anyone talks up any other truggy.. I don't mean to come off as rude, I'm just curious, because if you're sponsored by them, then it'd be like a BMW dealer telling me the BMW is WAYYYY better than the Infiniti.. *it is, but that's besides the point*
I think I'll go BCE for now, I have Hyper 8.5 front and rear diffs, i think those might work with a 50T kyosho.. They're 43T...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.