Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Hyper/Picco .28 Massive Issues

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Hyper/Picco .28 Massive Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:59 PM
qaiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyper/Picco .28 Massive Issues

Alright, well I just got the Picco .28 with the Truggy Box today for my Hyper.

And Im having massive problems getting this thing to turn over.

It seems to get stuck at TDC, and once that happens, its extremely difficult to move the flywheel by hand. The box cant do it too. It rotates freely before it hits TDC.

Now yes, I know there is a lot of Pinch, but how do I get rid of it without even being able to start it.?

It just does not turn over.. Ive put a coupla drops of ARO in the glow plug hole + carb. I even removed the Head and Button and tried to check if something was wrong, it still gets stuck at TDC..

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this thing started.?

Before anyone asks, Ive done the following :

Few drops of ARO
Heating up the engine
Loosening the glow plug to taking it out completely
Charged the batteries completely for the starter box
Flywheel is aligned properley.

Oh and BTW, im using 2 7.2V stick packs for the box, so its not that its not getting enough power.

Any Suggesstions.?

Thanks..
Old 03-13-2008, 03:03 PM
K_B

Default RE: Hyper/Picco .28 Massive Issues

Heating it up should allow it to turn over. How hot are you getting it? I'd see if you can get that sucker up to 200 before cranking it.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:05 PM
qaiz

The hair dryer gets it to a maximum of 130 - 140

I dont have a heat gun [:@]

Ughh.!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:16 PM
prodsup04

Yes, heat gun is the trick. I'm having the same problems with my new OS 18 TZ. As soon as I heated it up to around 200 it turns over freely.

Good luck
Old 03-13-2008, 03:22 PM
qaiz

Well thanks but im gonna have to break it in at the air field.

How am I supposed to get it upto 200 and start it up [&o]

I dont have a portable heat gun, as a matter of fact a normal heat gun, and I dont have a portable hair dryer [&o]

Any other suggesstions.?

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:26 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Over-charge your batteries....

My box gave me heck the very first time I tried to start my Nova 28, but now it starts without the least hassle - and I don't have a heat-gun either - and I'm sure it's colder here than where you are...

I just have a single-motor TT box with 2x LRP 3000 bats... Haven't even charged them to where they get really hot.. And they've started the Nova three days in a row without recharging.., basically immediately...

So my guess is, lacking a heat-gut, double-check and/or re-charge the bats!!....(or get some new stronger ones... [:@])
Old 03-13-2008, 03:41 PM
vnmsgt

Me and 2 other friends had the same exact problem with our Picco .28's. My wifes hair dryer got it to 200 degrees and it would barely turn over. That is the only thing I know of besides leaving you glow plug loose. You are going to have this problem for awhile even after break in. I had to bring the hair dryer to the track with me to get it to start up and now after 17 tanks through this Picco .28 it still gets stuck on TDC often! I still have to use a screwdriver to turn the flywheel back to BDC and then use the starter box but it still has to be warm and I am using the OFNA Chrome top starter box with the single high torque motor with a Motorcycle 12V battery! The pinch is SICK on these motors.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:42 PM
INTEGRA

another reason i Love my Break in Bench.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:44 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

Yes those are good but &%$# how many tanks do you have to put through this motor before I do not have to worry if it will turn over when cold! I mean I melted my stupid connections on my starter box twice before getting it to turn over decently now!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:48 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picco 28 is actually a pretty easy motor to break in...some of the .21's like a Go 7 port are even worse...

a huge key is to be 100% sure your wheelof the starter box is lined up square to the flwheel of the motor...... Its amazing how much torque you can lose of the wheels aren't perfectly lined up........ If you didn't remove your motor to line the wheel up your most likely not 100% lined up.... even experts at setting up starter boxxes will remove the engine to be sure everything is perfect.... As well be sure your getting good contact between the flywheel and starter wheel...RTR flywheels are usually too small to make good contact, and in some cases you need to shim the motor onthe starter box up to get better contact....
Old 03-13-2008, 03:51 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

Yes those are good but &%$# how many tanks do you have to put through this motor before I do not have to worry if it will turn over when cold! I mean I melted my stupid connections on my starter box twice before getting it to turn over decently now!

the key to a Picco is once you get them running, keep em running !! we do not shut them down to heat cycle like other mills...we will run several tanks back to back... we also will push them a little harder then other mills to get em to loosen up...... Most pro's don't even break a Picco in, they just get em running and hit the track, change con rod at 2 gallons and all is fine......... These mills use very high grade metals and will hold pinch for a very long time, but they also will last for a very long time... only weak spot is conrod ( same as any mill)
Old 03-13-2008, 03:58 PM
spikeitaudi

Make sure the flywheel isn't stuck at TDC. Heat it up. When depressing the Hyper on the Starter box press it down slightly to get the starterbox at maxium RPM then press the rest of the way down on the Flywheel. I was having the same issues till I let the starter box get going first, then depressed it all the way and it fired it up right away.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: spikeitaudi

Make sure the flywheel isn't stuck at TDC. Heat it up. When depressing the Hyper on the Starter box press it down slightly to get the starterbox at maxium RPM then press the rest of the way down on the Flywheel. I was having the same issues till I let the starter box get going first, then depressed it all the way and it fired it up right away.
Do you have a Picco .28? I even put a spacer under my starter box plate just for the reason you said and my friend too and it is still the same. At least they are not that bad now. I mean do not get me wrong the pinch is great and should last along time compared to other motors I had the you can turn them over easliy when new.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:11 PM
spikeitaudi

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: spikeitaudi

Do you have a Picco .28? I even put a spacer under my starter box plate just for the reason you said and my friend too and it is still the same. At least they are not that bad now. I mean do not get me wrong the pinch is great and should last along time compared to other motors I had the you can turn them over easliy when new.
Nope I don't have the Picco .28. I have the OS 21 V-spec but some ppl don't know to let the wheel on the starter box spool up first as that will give you maxium Torque out of the Starter box. I learned the hard way
Old 03-13-2008, 04:12 PM
K_B

ORIGINAL: qaiz

Well thanks but im gonna have to break it in at the air field.

How am I supposed to get it upto 200 and start it up [&o]

I dont have a portable heat gun, as a matter of fact a normal heat gun, and I dont have a portable hair dryer [&o]

Any other suggesstions.?

Thanks.
If all you have is a hair dryer, try wrapping the cooling head with tin foil or maybe even a sock Anything to keep the heat from escaping. Put tinfoil on the opposite side that your heating from to help reflect some of that heat back at the engine block.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:46 PM
EZZZROCK

I JUST BROUGHT A HEAT GUN TO DO MY FLOORS FROM HOME DEPTO 49.99 THAT THING GETS UP TO 800 DEGREES
Old 03-13-2008, 06:14 PM
ericem

ahahaha!! Go to any place that sells tools they should have a pretty cheap one. Also try tapping on the flywheel pattern with a flat screw to get it unstuck, then get some lubricant and put it in, then heat it up AND loosen the glow plug. If you wheel on your starter box is lined up properly should work fine and you battery has to be good.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:21 PM
crazy 8t
My Feedback: (3)

hmm i know what i did was i used a hair dryer get it up to as high as it will heat the motor then dont hold it on your bump box just gently hitting the flywheel on and off the bump box wheel and lossen the plug half a turn thats what worked for me
Old 03-13-2008, 09:04 PM
eirk66

harbor freight tools 9.99 for a chicago orange heat gun gets up too 500 thats what i bought

yea and I have a jpx.28 so I ran into same **** buy a 12v so you have extra battery for your bump box you need to losen the plug up just a tad fire it up and do not let it die !!! run like 6 tanks threw it seriously i feel your pain haha!!! if I kept mine runing though would have been easier bring batterys fresh plugs after you soak the ones just to give it that nice pop

but hey i got mine runing and I love it now it turns over not a big deal I almost have a gallon on it
Old 03-14-2008, 02:13 AM
qaiz

Wow, thanks a lot for the suggesstions

Just waiting on my batteries to charge for the starter box, It drained 4 3000MaH batteries trying to start this thing.!?

They're aligned perfectely, In the end I gave up and even tried using my hand held airplane starter, it just changed the colour of my flywheel to green [&:]

Ive never seen an engine with so much pinch. Quite amazing.

The main thing that sucks the most, our track dosent have an electrical supply, otherwise Id run to Acehardware right now and pick up the first heat gun I could find.!

Ill try and get hold of a 12V gel cell tomorrow, but for the time being, ill use the stick packs.

One of the reasons I got the truggy box was because I thought id have the least amount of problems trying to turn anything over [&:]

Well let my batteries charge up, and ill try and start it, and let ya'll know

Thanks Guys
Old 03-14-2008, 03:48 AM
joydude630

Hey Qaiz..So are you getting your hyper to the track tomorrow? You will enjoy the picco once it starts. Good luck!!!
Old 03-14-2008, 05:59 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: joydude630

Hey Qaiz..So are you getting your hyper to the track tomorrow? You will enjoy the picco once it starts. Good luck!!!
Oh yeah!! That picco blew my mind compared to the SH .28 and Axial .28RR I have. It has so much torque and will smoke them in a heartbeat. I used to love my Axial and now it feels like a SLUG!!!
Old 03-14-2008, 07:29 AM
qaiz

YES, THANK YOU GOD.!

I managed to get this thing to turn over.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While in doing so, Ive practically destroyed my starter wheel.! But I got it to turn over

But Lord there is SO MUCH PINCH.!

It just needed a lil push, a few more drops of ARO did the trick

Ill be breaking it in tomorrow.!

Thanks a Lot guys, it really helped.

But it suprised me, I didnt pre-heat the engine at all, ambient temps are around 75, and it just buzzed!. Im so happy it turned over

And heres the culprit

Thanks again guys, Ill try and get a vid up of the break in tomorrow
Old 03-14-2008, 07:48 AM
vnmsgt

HAH! Thats funny. I did the same thing! I had rubber from my starter box EVERYWHERE!!! At least you got it started. Wait till you feel the power. I had a SH motor like yours in a couple of truggies I had and in no way whatsoever can the power compare. Do not get me wrong, I love my SH motors (Easy to drive and hold a tune awesome) but I love the power of the Picco.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:46 AM
qaiz

Thanks

Yeah SH motors are pretty good, Im gonna try and shove the SH I ripped outta this into the Nitrage.

I honestely CAN NOT wait to get to the airfield tomorrow and start this thing.!

And from the things Ive heard about the Picco/Jammin engines, all I shall be doing is battle for throttle control

I just tried to get it going again, its starting to turn over alright now, not as much drama.! And less destriction of my starter box wheel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.