Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Kyosho ST-RR or XRay XT8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:38 PM
CJKinney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kyosho ST-RR or XRay XT8?

gtsum,

If you were selling on EBay a couple of days ago, I thought hard and bid on it, but went higher than I expected (good sell though). VNMSGT, I will check your link and see what he can do. If I have to go full price, so be it, I have heard alot of good things about this Truggy (much less seen and driven it). Am I missing any other as good/better brands? I ran a Jammin X1-CRT FTE for half a season, but the Truggy was possessed with the fall-aparts from the last owner (he had the same issues). I sold it and the next guy has no problems (maybe it's my driving...hmm). My main machine is a Mugen MBX5R and logically should get the 5T, but do not like the wear I see from others at the track.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 PM
gtsum

CJ - yeah, that was mine. Off to a good home now and time for me try something new. My STRR will be here tomorrow, will get her built up and to the track friday for some practice and then a race on Saturday, so we will see how she does!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:30 PM
CJKinney

Where did you purchase from and how much, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:14 AM
gtsum

amain for 659 - I usually get all mine at Tiltedrc, but he was out at the moment
Old 05-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Oasis TR

I bought 2 of them (ST-RR)..one to race and one for spare parts..It was cheaper this way..[)]
Old 05-07-2008, 01:27 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: Oasis TR

I bought 2 of them (ST-RR)..one to race and one for spare parts..It was cheaper this way..[)]

buddy JUST did that exact same thing with 2 Moogen 5T's....then a week later the tax man came a callin for 7G's. [X(]...betcha he's wishin he didnt buy 2 now....but i hear ya Oasis...On some trucks buying a 2nd complete truck is the best way to have At least 1 of Everything.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Oasis TR

It was actually way cheaper to do it this way..have you guys priced some of the parts..eek..I havent really broken anything yet..lol..but I'm sure i will now..lol
Old 05-07-2008, 10:31 PM
arm2storm

ORIGINAL: Oasis TR

The only thing I do know about Xrays is that they always update their designs..not always better but they do do change..I'm not saying this in a bad way..I went through the Xray when I raced TC's..about 4 or 5 of them..in about 2 years..lol..at least Kyosho sticks with the same basic design for a few years..

Where have you been for past couple of years.......Kyosho is the worst Manufacture to make constant changes on there design within the same year.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:40 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I wish Xray would update the XT8, constant refinement is a good thing IMO.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:31 AM
RcRacer37E

ORIGINAL: arm2storm

Where have you been for past couple of years.......Kyosho is the worst Manufacture to make constant changes on there design within the same year.

Times change and new stuff is out every day it seems. Kyosho is one of the best and the team drivers have proto type stuff at all major events. If they like it the us racers get it, if they dont like it, its tossed in a box and refined for the next event.
Ive ran my strr for about a year now and broke 4 sets of knuckles (go cnc) and nothing eles. They say if you dont break things your not running hard enough, I say if your breaking stuff your hitting to many things.
It is a good idea to have spare parts if your local hobby shop doesnt carry Kyosho parts. Post pics up on the str thread when you get it done.
What engine are you running or going to be running? I say grab the sirio clb7 sti from a main, its on back order now I snagged the last one up, got 2 now and its simply insane in a truggy and if you toss it in a buggy, almost a hand full.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:34 AM
gtsum

Another big difference in the 2 is the build..the Xray goes together much, much easier...the fit and finish are better, the plastic quality feels better (just the initial impression). Xray has the quality thing and the instruction thing down great (I mean c'mon...how hard is it for Kyosho to put all the screws needed for each step in one bag???). I built my xray in about 7 hours, start to finish...I am going on 6 hours on the strr and have the front, the back, the center diff installed, etc. I still have the linkage, electronics, engine, shocks, etc left). The build is definately smoother on the xray...that being said..if I would not have driven an strr and seen how good they are, this build would really put me off (but the truck does seem to be that good on the track), so it is worth it imo..
Old 05-09-2008, 12:01 PM
hkenvy91

yeah, it was a real pain in the butt having to dig through a bin of screws for the right ones! oh and they come with nothing xtra! no tires, crappy instructions,IMO! they dont even come with a throttle servo horn. which i had to go out searching for a dubro horn pack for an airtronics.
it actually took me about 16 hours to build mine usually after 10 pm till 1-2 in the mornin for about a 2 week span! i also took my time with each step to make sure everything was perfect. i enjoy the build part so i like to stretch it out a little!
im startin to like the phillips screws, but do not like the eclips as i have some now that need replacing.

but let me tell you, the truck handles like a dream, and eats the rough stuff for breakfast, accelerates hard with no spool up time! jumps well , flies stable , lands well . gotta love them big bores!

all in all, sucks to assemble, awesome to drive! thats all i can say!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55084.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	946172  
Old 05-10-2008, 11:04 PM
danpifs

Call Amain and let them know where you saw the better price and they SHOULD match it. I've had great luck with them, they want your business and will go out of there way to get it. You also get reward points which is a real nice bonus and most items ship for free. My last $40.00 order did'nt cost me a cent because of them!

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2008, 10:42 PM
gtsum

just to follow up on my original thoughts regarding the strr compared to the xt8 - today at the track confirmed what I thought...I am faster (by a good bit) with the STRR (first time running with mine that I just built this week) then I was with my xt8 (that I ran for a whole season). The STRR is quicker out of the hole, just as fast top end, jumps equally as well (I had K big Bores on my xt8), and it is much more stable and can be pushed and slid around the track a lot harder then my xray could. It does not have the off power steering that my xray had, so I adjusted my driving a bit (more throttle, lighter rear diff fluid) and as they say....loose is fast if you can control it! IMO the STRR is superior to the Xt8 in every way, except quality (fit and finish) and the build process (xray is TOPS in these areas)...but the end result is a faster truck (STRR) on the track, so it is all good