Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Gotta be patient n this hobby!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Gotta be patient n this hobby!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:18 PM
slayerphonics

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gotta be patient n this hobby!!

My LHS has gotta be going in the RED, I never see merchandise move, same trucks on display for 2 years, same dusty tires sitting there for a year, same parts for traxxas and HPI, and the number one reason why is that they are so far out of touch with price its crazy, Amain sells prolines with rims 27.99. they want 39.99 13 dollars more! if you bought a whole set your talking 26 dollars more just to buy locally? I don't mind spending a few bucks more but i'm not going to get ripped off.

My LHS is so out of touch of the local racing scene they don't know what to sell, They finally started to stock some 8ight parts, no hop-ups but atleast some parts.. Funny thing is that they don't have an 8ight on display to sell!!!

And like others have said here alot of LHS don't sell what customers want they sell what they like,

Old 06-02-2008, 01:33 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

ORIGINAL: ProRCRacer88
Sell a "Bit of variety" is what i been saying, does not mean "sell some of everything" like your trying to make it seem like im saying. You the only one jumping on me about nothing because id rather order online than do it over the shops around here who either overcharge, takes too long, or just wont order it. You probably can get everything you need for the cars you run from the shops in your area, which is why your jumping on me and others in this thread about not supporting the shops like you probably do.
I don't think you get it. A bit of variety to you is most likely a different variety to me.. Factor in your buddy, my buddy, and a dozen other people and suddenly you are talking about 400 different parts none of which get anyone any closer to buying everything they want. Factor in the 100s of models on the market and suddenly, whamo, you've got a hobby shop with what 50,000 parts?
I'm not jumping on you, I'm just trying to help some of you understand that it is not as simple as you seem intent on making it out to be. If it was 25 years ago when there was only a couple of viable options on the market but not today when there are probably at least 50 with 100s of others. It's no longer just Tamiya and Associated, today's market it crazy.
I can not profess to buying everything at my lhs, but I try to whenever I can. Why? Sure I can get a better deal online, but if I do that and my buddy does that and everyone else does that then soon there will be no local hobby shops and everyone will be whining wondering why they all closed. The simple economics is that they do not get the bulk-pricing rates that the bigger places do, so their prices start off higher. So there is no logical way for them to compete with the online shops. You guys seem to be supporting the idea that you want Walmart prices, yet fail to want to rationalize what happens when the walmarts of the world take over.
That's all.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:38 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

My LHS has gotta be going in the RED, I never see merchandise move, same trucks on display for 2 years, same dusty tires sitting there for a year, same parts for traxxas and HPI, and the number one reason why is that they are so far out of touch with price its crazy, Amain sells prolines with rims 27.99. they want 39.99 13 dollars more! if you bought a whole set your talking 26 dollars more just to buy locally? I don't mind spending a few bucks more but i'm not going to get ripped off.

My LHS is so out of touch of the local racing scene they don't know what to sell, They finally started to stock some 8ight parts, no hop-ups but atleast some parts.. Funny thing is that they don't have an 8ight on display to sell!!!

And like others have said here alot of LHS don't sell what customers want they sell what they like,
Funny how I agree with you so much on one thread yet differ with you on another.

Just curious, but how do you propose your lhs come about finding the money to buy new items if the old ones haven't sold? How do you propose they get the same price break on items they sell one or two of that AMain sells hundreds of? How do you expect them to carry a 8ight on the shelf if they know good and well you won't buy it for what they have to sell if for because you'll go to AMain first to save a few bucks? Do you expect them to sell stuff and lose money?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Oasis TR

As a ex owner I do know just what the local shops are going through..I do buy most of my stuff through local hobby shops..
Old 06-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Jim8ightT

ORIGINAL: Oasis TR

As a ex owner I do know just what the local shops are going through..I do buy most of my stuff through local hobby shops..
+1 I use to have a record shop for dJ's and went under due to the internet... So i make it a point to get from my lhs
Old 06-02-2008, 02:43 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

ORIGINAL: JatoJim

ORIGINAL: Oasis TR

+1 I use to have a record shop for dJ's and went under due to the internet... So i make it a point to get from my lhs
+2 [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 06-02-2008, 02:43 PM
slayerphonics

Well, thats the corner the company back themselves into. By not watching the market and adjusting there buying habits, and improper pricing. And not selling the old product when it lost its popularity to make way for new, so the store becomes stagnet.

Why not open an Ebay store and a local store front?

What I would do,

Get the old junk out, sell it dirt cheap, you may take a loss, but atleast its money coming in to stock with updated parts that will atleast sell,

And I just don't buy that LHS are losing money if they sold close or same price as online, because I could go into business by buying stuff from amain then selling at my store for 100 bucks more. an OS .18 used to cost 150 bucks, they wanted 279, that motor will never sell to anyone the least bit savay, then when the customer finds out they just paid 120 bucks more then they could of got it, well they just lost a customer.

I'm not saying I have the anwsers, as my wife is the one with a degree in buisness, somethings seem obvious from the outside though.

As a customer I want fair consistent prices, And as a supporter of the hobby and the local scene I don't mind paying a few dollars more, but my LHS has the priced jacked so high I feel like a complete idiot buying stuff from them.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:05 PM
madmax22

I have 2 hobby shops within 45 min. Both are pretty bad... One Has a oval and the other has a dirt track but they closed it because the people are like 3897694876 years old and couldent maintain it.... I did find 1 track but its about 1 hr away... Kinda hard to go there when you 13 and cant drive....
Old 06-02-2008, 06:03 PM
stussman

I live in the 5th biggest city in Australia. 1 only on road/off road track which is rarely open. GP was banned because of a couple of noise complaints from an old bag up the road (no houses even close to the track), only EP now. So basically no off road GP anywhere to race/practice.
LHS (2) rarely have what you need and way expensive. The staff are helpfull though.
In Aussieland rc racing is so small compared to the states. Its really sad reading about you guys with lots of tracks, way cheaper prices etc.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Oasis TR

Well, thats the corner the company back themselves into. By not watching the market and adjusting there buying habits, and improper pricing. And not selling the old product when it lost its popularity to make way for new, so the store becomes stagnet.

Why not open an Ebay store and a local store front?

What I would do,

Get the old junk out, sell it dirt cheap, you may take a loss, but atleast its money coming in to stock with updated parts that will atleast sell,

And I just don't buy that LHS are losing money if they sold close or same price as online, because I could go into business by buying stuff from amain then selling at my store for 100 bucks more. an OS .18 used to cost 150 bucks, they wanted 279, that motor will never sell to anyone the least bit savay, then when the customer finds out they just paid 120 bucks more then they could of got it, well they just lost a customer.

I'm not saying I have the anwsers, as my wife is the one with a degree in buisness, somethings seem obvious from the outside though.

As a customer I want fair consistent prices, And as a supporter of the hobby and the local scene I don't mind paying a few dollars more, but my LHS has the priced jacked so high I feel like a complete idiot buying stuff from them.
I dont think you guys understand just how hard it is to compete with on line stores and ebay stores, Some ebay stores are not doing it legally (as in paying taxes, business license) I not only had a shop but a race track also, An Indoor track, So my overhead was big to start with, A degree in business (I went to college and studied business also) helps you sorta understand marketing and sales..but the hobby industry is a very unique one. The Hobby industry is one of the few businesses that your not allowed to make a profit, I use to get people coming into my store wanting a 20% discount on car kits and other big ticket items that i'm only making 30% on anyway..I think you guys also forget that when you use a credit card the processing company (you know the card swipe..they put the money into your account..) they want 1% to 2%, the credit card company wants 2% to 5% of the sales (depending upon the card company). Everyone wants a slice of your pie and the online stores have driven the prices down so low that their is not that much profit to be had if you try to stay competitive with the online stores. What I did is made my prices as close to the on line stores as i could then i would add what they charged for shipping and I had to charge for taxes..and still had guys try to tell me that they could get this part for $10 less..they always forgot about that shipping "thing". Plus another thing that some you you guys may or may not know is that the "BIG" shops get a lot better prices on their parts than what the small shops get. A friend of mine had a large shop..He sold a lot of Traxxas stuff (he bought direct from them, one of the few shops that were allowed to do this..he would buy 500 Revos at a time)..He was selling 3.3 Revos for $419 out the door..and making a profit, My cost on a Revo was $425..tell me how do i make money on this..lol..next time your in the grocery store ask them for a 20% discount..
Old 06-02-2008, 07:48 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

You keep noting improper pricing, so I suggest you go to your lhs and ask the owner just what he pays for a set of those overpriced tires you noted earlier. My guess is that you will wonder how he makes enough of a profit to keep the doors open.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Jim8ightT

ORIGINAL: rckt_mtrspts

You keep noting improper pricing, so I suggest you go to your lhs and ask the owner just what he pays for a set of those overpriced tires you noted earlier. My guess is that you will wonder how he makes enough of a profit to keep the doors open.
You can't sell techno records to a trance D.J. and so on.... And for me I had to order 25 at the least so i wasn't ably to get what they wanted right then and there.......
Old 06-02-2008, 07:54 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

ORIGINAL: JatoJim
You can't sell techno records to a trance D.J. and so on.... And for me I had to order 25 at the least so i wasn't ably to get what they wanted right then and there.......
Maybe you should go into a more detailed explanation so they understand. I've tried, but I'm done
Old 06-03-2008, 02:44 AM
phattracker
My Feedback: (1)

well in places that are small. less than 40,000 people total in county. a hobby shop can only target so many people and be successful. i find my lhs to move more planes and trains. by opening a track in my county i have boosted his buisness quite a bit on the car side. however, he will not stock anything but traxxas. i've tried to get him to put a racer on the shelf but he wont. i get really upet when i see someone spend 500 on a traxxas MT and come to the track to fall in love with a truggy or buggy. lhs wont put one on the shelf. he says he can order anything horizon hobby has, well so can i. i can do better than horizon hobby all day long on my own. my point is, if the lhs wont change with the direction of his products, then a change must be made. and when the one lhs is your only option, the change is obviously online. imo
Old 06-03-2008, 03:50 AM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

In a county that small you are lucky to have a hobby shop at all. If he sells more planes and trains it makes little sense for him to try and sell cars and trucks people are not asking for. The basic economics of it are that certain manufacturers have larger profit margins than others and if you talked to your lhs owner it would be my guess that you would be shocked at how little he made off racers. Also, he is stuck buying from a distributor and gets his pricing relative to the quantity of antyhing he sells, but again since your county is so small its impossible to justify buying 5 or 10 racer kits to get the price break to make it profitable. I think you think you have boosted his business more than it actually has. I am curious where you can do better than horizon all day long, from a online retailer that doesn't give price breaks to someone buying wholesale?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:13 AM
slayerphonics

I'm stating over priceing at my LHS, its easy.

When I could buy from amainhobbies, then sell what I bought from amainhobbies at my LHS price, I could make a 100 dollar profit even after I paid for shipping.

Obviously he is charging far to much if I could buy it online pay taxes and shipping, then turn around and sell it for 100 bucks more.

He was selling a estes RC plan for 40 bucks, you could buy the same one at wal-mart for 20,

Heck I could buy 50 of those plans from wal-mart and sell them on the side of the road at his price and profit from it,

Seriously my LHS is out of there mind if they think people will pay 100 to 300 more then something they could buy online, It sucks for owners, but for consumers online prices have kept me in the hobby and LHS stores have only scared me away from the hobby.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:44 AM
mxr

ORIGINAL: phattracker

well in places that are small. less than 40,000 people total in county. a hobby shop can only target so many people and be successful. i find my lhs to move more planes and trains. by opening a track in my county i have boosted his buisness quite a bit on the car side. however, he will not stock anything but traxxas. i've tried to get him to put a racer on the shelf but he wont. i get really upet when i see someone spend 500 on a traxxas MT and come to the track to fall in love with a truggy or buggy. lhs wont put one on the shelf. he says he can order anything horizon hobby has, well so can i. i can do better than horizon hobby all day long on my own. my point is, if the lhs wont change with the direction of his products, then a change must be made. and when the one lhs is your only option, the change is obviously online. imo
We have the same kind of a shop , the guy only sell's RTR Kyosho and nothing else he will not even try to order anything else ,it's a chain in the country (4 shop's) and i was wondering about that idea of just selling Kyosho untill i met the owner ,his idea is to not give the choice of brand's to the customer so he will not have to stock parts other than one brand and as that brand is well distributed and have a stock in sweden he is then certain to be able to provide parts .
The results are that people buy once in his shop and when they come to the track and see what real RC car look's like and then want the real thing they buy online in US where prices are deacent ,for exemple i got one OS 18TZ for my car from Tower's for 129$ witch makes about 85 euros and here in Finland the same engine goes around 300 euros ,i like doing some shopping in our country but on the other hand 215euros are better in my pocket than in the one of that shop .
Old 06-03-2008, 11:29 AM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

I think that is where you misunderstand over-pricing relative to your lhs versus an online shop.
If you buy something from your lhs you are paying for the expertise of the guy behind the counter, the rent of the brick and mortar storefront space, the rent for his own back room warehouse area, the fact that he most often does not get the advantage of multi-kit buying pricebreaks, and eveything down to the carpet on the floor. These are all things an online retailer does not have to pay for.
If you buy something from an online retailer you're often being connected to a phone receptionist who takes your order and knows little difference between your Savage or Revo or RC10T4 than she does a lawn mower or golf club she might be also taking orders for, they only have to pay cheaper rent on warehouse space that's often not even visible from the highway let alone a street in the business district or shopping/strip mall, you're also not factoring in that these huge online retailers get price breaks on shipping since they get huge bulk orders or that they get huge price breaks on their purchases because they are not buying one or two kits at a time but hundreds. Same thing applies to your walmart anaology, since walmart has the buying power of thousands of stores and they pay relative to how many they buy from estes or whomever. Your attitude to how the market should work will eventually lead to the closing of all small businesses including your lhs and then you will be forced to buy everything online - not only your kits, which you'll no longer be able to look at or put your hands on before a potential purchase, but even the little parts one often isn't sure is the right one until you put it in your hands. Let alone trying to return a pre-opened package to an online shop in which you bought the wrong thing and didn't notice it until you tried to install it, like that would ever happen.
And in the end there will be no reason for online shops to offer discount pricing as they will no longer have to compete with brick and mortar stores, so prices will eventually climb online as well. In a sense many already are as they are in many cases charging the same price for most things as most hobby shops - or full retail. If you had noticed, the only thing amain gives a break on is kits, they charge full retail for all parts and accessories.
You are asking for something I really do not think you will be happy about in the long run and not supporting your lhs will do just that.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:24 PM
slayerphonics

Your right I don't mind paying a little more, for the local support and other things. But willing getting ripped off hundreds of dollars is stupid and insulting.

If you think prices will rise when local shops go down (which is the future of many stores like it or not) you are abo****ly wrong.
Prices will only continue to lower, as the internet allows more companys to reach more people, Now your little LHS has turned into a World wide store. More stores means cheaper prices for me.

Thats really the bottom line, why pay more?

-

I know running your own business is hard, not everyone makes it. Gotta be lucky and have the right product at the right time at the right price.

I'm in my LHS at least once a week buying odds and ends, that he actually sells at a competitive price few dollars more here and there. I don't mind, but the big ticket items are just to much,
Old 06-03-2008, 12:27 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

Well, when the online shops take over the retail hobby shop market you will no longer have your local shop there for support or the other things. But no matter what I say or suggest it is apparent you refuse to see the bigger picture so I am done trying to help you see it or understand it.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:55 PM
phattracker

well tell me how i cant beat for example. a body reamer-19.99 and a set of curved lexan scissors 19.99 on line? And an OFNA micro failsafe for 40.00? A pair of prolinr lpr's for 35.00? i can go all day long. He is just way over priced. And he says he'll match tower's prices, well, when i bring a price to him to beat he can't go that low. So to me, the LHS in this town just doesn't support us so why shpuld we support them, other that fuel, plugs, etc.....
Old 06-03-2008, 01:56 PM
phattracker

ORIGINAL: mxr

We have the same kind of a shop , the guy only sell's RTR Kyosho and nothing else he will not even try to order anything else ,it's a chain in the country (4 shop's) and i was wondering about that idea of just selling Kyosho untill i met the owner ,his idea is to not give the choice of brand's to the customer so he will not have to stock parts other than one brand and as that brand is well distributed and have a stock in sweden he is then certain to be able to provide parts .
The results are that people buy once in his shop and when they come to the track and see what real RC car look's like and then want the real thing they buy online in US where prices are deacent ,for exemple i got one OS 18TZ for my car from Tower's for 129$ witch makes about 85 euros and here in Finland the same engine goes around 300 euros ,i like doing some shopping in our country but on the other hand 215euros are better in my pocket than in the one of that shop .

+1
Old 06-03-2008, 02:14 PM
phattracker

ORIGINAL: rckt_mtrspts

I think that is where you misunderstand over-pricing relative to your lhs versus an online shop.
If you buy something from your lhs you are paying for the expertise of the guy behind the counter, the rent of the brick and mortar storefront space, the rent for his own back room warehouse area, the fact that he most often does not get the advantage of multi-kit buying pricebreaks, and eveything down to the carpet on the floor. These are all things an online retailer does not have to pay for.
If you buy something from an online retailer you're often being connected to a phone receptionist who takes your order and knows little difference between your Savage or Revo or RC10T4 than she does a lawn mower or golf club she might be also taking orders for, they only have to pay cheaper rent on warehouse space that's often not even visible from the highway let alone a street in the business district or shopping/strip mall, you're also not factoring in that these huge online retailers get price breaks on shipping since they get huge bulk orders or that they get huge price breaks on their purchases because they are not buying one or two kits at a time but hundreds. Same thing applies to your walmart anaology, since walmart has the buying power of thousands of stores and they pay relative to how many they buy from estes or whomever. Your attitude to how the market should work will eventually lead to the closing of all small businesses including your lhs and then you will be forced to buy everything online - not only your kits, which you'll no longer be able to look at or put your hands on before a potential purchase, but even the little parts one often isn't sure is the right one until you put it in your hands. Let alone trying to return a pre-opened package to an online shop in which you bought the wrong thing and didn't notice it until you tried to install it, like that would ever happen.
And in the end there will be no reason for online shops to offer discount pricing as they will no longer have to compete with brick and mortar stores, so prices will eventually climb online as well. In a sense many already are as they are in many cases charging the same price for most things as most hobby shops - or full retail. If you had noticed, the only thing amain gives a break on is kits, they charge full retail for all parts and accessories.
You are asking for something I really do not think you will be happy about in the long run and not supporting your lhs will do just that.

Totally understand that the hobby shop has something to pick up and put in your hands, but when the LHS doesn't want to put 1 truggy or 1 buggy on the shelf then its their loss isn't it. And my LHS sells more used traxxas stuff than new. Could be that people aren't happy with what the LHS sells and gets out of the hobby all together. And if the LHS man was so knowledgable, why not suggest something more suited to racing then try to up sell. "here you go, a traxxas revo. that'll be $600.00." so the new revo owner brings his truck to my track and sees all these truggies and says "what the crap is that" and "why cant i keep up with this $400.00 truggy" So in the end you have 1 unhappy and broke customer and someone who has probablly got a bad taste in thier mouth about the hobby. So put a revo platinium on the shelf, which he has, and i'm not going to bash a revo, but for $679.99. all i'm saying is put a losi 8t right next to it and see which one sells quicker. How bout a tt st-1? Oh ya, he doesn't like tt's so he wont sell them. When i go in there to buy something i want, which i researched on line to make sure it is a good fit for what i want to do with it, sell me what i want. don't try to talk me out of it and up sell me. make the sale and make a happy customer. with the internet, anyone with the common sense to do a little research on a product will find it very easy to find out alot about the product from reviews, word of mouth, whatever. So does the LHS stand a chance against the informed buyer in a 1 LHS town? Heck no. Money in my pocket is better than money in his. And the LHS isn't responsible for many of the peoples intrest in the hobby anyway. Its just a place to go put something in your hands. Whatever it may be.....IMO
Old 06-03-2008, 02:29 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

Totally understand that the hobby shop has something to pick up and put in your hands, but when the LHS doesn't want to put 1 truggy or 1 buggy on the shelf then its their loss isn't it. And my LHS sells more used traxxas stuff than new. Could be that people aren't happy with what the LHS sells and gets out of the hobby all together. And if the LHS man was so knowledgable, why not suggest something more suited to racing then try to up sell. "here you go, a traxxas revo. that'll be $600.00." so the new revo owner brings his truck to my track and sees all these truggies and says "what the crap is that" and "why cant i keep up with this $400.00 truggy" So in the end you have 1 unhappy and broke customer and someone who has probablly got a bad taste in thier mouth about the hobby. So put a revo platinium on the shelf, which he has, and i'm not going to bash a revo, but for $679.99. all i'm saying is put a losi 8t right next to it and see which one sells quicker. How bout a tt st-1? Oh ya, he doesn't like tt's so he wont sell them. When i go in there to buy something i want, which i researched on line to make sure it is a good fit for what i want to do with it, sell me what i want. don't try to talk me out of it and up sell me. make the sale and make a happy customer. with the internet, anyone with the common sense to do a little research on a product will find it very easy to find out alot about the product from reviews, word of mouth, whatever. So does the LHS stand a chance against the informed buyer in a 1 LHS town? Heck no. Money in my pocket is better than money in his. And the LHS isn't responsible for many of the peoples intrest in the hobby anyway. Its just a place to go put something in your hands. Whatever it may be.....IMO
-1 [sm=thumbs_down.gif]
Old 06-03-2008, 02:34 PM
slayerphonics

I buy my fuel from a local brewer,

A guy who is in touch with the racing scene and the local tracks and sells his fuel for 15 a gallon, but the LHS sells it for 26 bucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.