Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

1/8 Truggy for BL conversion?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

1/8 Truggy for BL conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:47 PM
bhcvc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8 Truggy for BL conversion?

I've been really itching for a 1/8 Truggy converted to brushless. Don't have a very high budget (really, no budget at the moment, but saving here and there, but need to try to keep costs low), so I've been looking at these RTR Truggies since they include everything and I could probably sell the engines for make up some money. I'm wondering what your opinions are on the following truggies (performance, design, build quality, durability, ease of conversion to electric (if known), parts availability, etc.).

1. Duratrax Raze ST
- $380 from Tower (possible $30 off if they have good coupons)
- Cheap replacement parts
- Another RCU member has converted one already, so hopefully support is available

2. Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium Sport
- $390 from Tower (possible $30 off)
- Looks really nice, seems to be lower than Raze
- Haven't found much info on electric conversion of this truggy

3. Kyosho Inferno ST US Sports
- $370 from Ultimate Hobbies
- Really like the looks of this one too, a little more than the HB
- Hard to find any info on this truggy at all. While Kyosho buggies seem to be pretty popular, I can't find much on their truggies. Tower doesn't carry Kyosho parts. I think Ultimate and A-Main do. And one of the LHSs near me can get anything if I order it w/ P/N.

I also looked into the Ofna Mutilator which looks very similar to the Raze, and the Thunder Tiger ST-1 which I know is popular on RCU. I think I like the above 3 more tho.

Also, how much could I get for new engines (mufflers and all) that are included with the above RTRs?

For the setup, I'm looking at:
- Custom or cheap motor mount (if I can find a low-priced pre-made one, most seem to be $40-$50, which is a bit for me. Custom would be some steel plate I find at home depot that I drill holes in)
- Mamba Max ESC
- Some sort of switching BEC (haven't really looked into this...something low cost preferred)
- Feigao 8L or 9L motor (or similar KD36 motor from hobbycity)
Comments and suggestions on this setup are welcome.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:04 AM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: 1/8 Truggy for BL conversion?

Caster Racing is releasing a 1/8 EP Brushless Buggy and Truggy. Buggy is very near release, Truggy shortly there after. You can check um out at CasterRacingUSA.com
Old 06-12-2008, 03:22 PM
IL2mSturmovik

NItro is the only way to go IMO.
Batteries are for kids and minis.
Ya see teh BL test in one of teh RC mags?
6 minute run times on Lipo.
Wheeee...Not
Old 06-12-2008, 04:42 PM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

Some folks don't live in a place that allows them to have Nitro, like a suburb with neighbors (who like to complain) or an Appartment complex (with neighbors who like to complain), or maybe he just likes electric power because its easier and cleaner. He never asked what everyone preferred, he asked an opinion for a brushless electric conversion. So apparently he has his reasons for wanting an EP Brushless Truggy. Actually BH, the Caster EP Brushless buggies are already shipping (they are on thier way stateside on the boat or may already be here coming through customs), Truggy's should be just around the bend considering most Truggys use thier Buggy counterparts chassis and other various parts. The amount of time before the Truggys are finished is probably not very long at all.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:10 PM
madmax22

I think its going to be fun! I duuno what truggy will be the best but I think the kyosho would be esiest IMO..
Old 06-12-2008, 06:33 PM
happywing

ORIGINAL: bhcvc
For the setup, I'm looking at:
- Custom or cheap motor mount (if I can find a low-priced pre-made one, most seem to be $40-$50, which is a bit for me. Custom would be some steel plate I find at home depot that I drill holes in)
- Mamba Max ESC
- Some sort of switching BEC (haven't really looked into this...something low cost preferred)
- Feigao 8L or 9L motor (or similar KD36 motor from hobbycity)
Comments and suggestions on this setup are welcome.
Thanks.
You can use a hearty chunk of "L" aluminum for a motor mount if you have the tools. You will want to fasten the mount to the chassis and the center diff.
The Castle Creations BEC is nicely priced and proven.
I'm not a fan of Feigao motors, but if you get one, you will want an XL size. The L will be too small (hot!!!). You will also want a RC Monster heatsink to keep it in one piece and help with temps. The RCM heatsink keeps the endbells in place. They have a tendency to fall off.

Good luck!

ORIGINAL: IL2mSturmovik
NItro is the only way to go IMO.
Batteries are for kids and minis.
Ya see teh BL test in one of teh RC mags?
6 minute run times on Lipo.
Wheeee...Not
You must be living in a cave. 6-minute runtimes? Not with 5k, 6k or 8k Lipo. I could do a 30 minute main with two batteries.
As for speed and torque, My MBX5T with Neu 1515 1.5d/f will make your Ninja powered 8ight-T look like a wind-up toy.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:48 PM
mtbkym01

It may look like a wind up toy, but at least it wont sound like a wind up toy[>:]

Just playing with ya, each to their own
Old 06-12-2008, 09:50 PM
bhcvc

Thanks for the info guys. I have my reasons for choosing electric along with environment (as mentioned) and personal preferences.

I have an E-Savage right now and people run "L"-size motors without problems on it. However, that may also be due to the stock E-Sav chassis not quite being long enough for the "XL"-size motors. Come to think of it, since I'm making this, if I can fit it, an "XL" motor would be quite nice...I could always use it at the same power as an "L" motor to produce less wear and stress.

I know Feigaos (and their rebrands like the KD36) aren't the best and if I had more funds, I'd pick up a Medusa, but cost is a big issue. I'm aware of the Feigaos' issues with the endbell...I plan on either getting the RCM heatsink or CA-glueing the endbell on.

Does Tower sell BECs? I couldn't find any, even with a search for "BEC".

I'm leaning towards the HB Lightning or Kyosho Inferno....
Old 06-13-2008, 02:38 AM
Shark413

I have converted three 1/8 scale truggies and the same number of buggies. I also own several nitro vehicles. I started in nitro and moved to brushless power because of the power and ease of maintenance of brushless systems.

Check out some vids of my conversions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnwpWq7kynA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4SeWaYax58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuqbM7zR8aM
Old 06-13-2008, 04:05 AM
McFly505

People can say what they want, but the brushless revolution is coming, like it or not.

I'm a die hard nitro fan, love the sound, smell, etc....

I've got the parts coming to convert my RC8 to brushless.

Plain and simple, a b/l powered anything will SMOKE it's nitro powered counterpart.
More and more companies are jumping on the bandwagon lately.

Have a taste.

LOSI 8ight B

LOSI 8ight T

The RC8 version is coming sooner than later.

Like I said, like it or not, it IS coming.
Personally, I can't wait.
I'll build 2 of everything I have and enjoy both nitro and b/l power.

Scott
Old 06-13-2008, 05:27 AM
happywing

Hey bhcvc, here's your BEC at Tower:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSWL3&P=ML

ORIGINAL: mtbkym01
It may look like a wind up toy, but at least it wont sound like a wind up toy[>:]
Agreed. There is an appeal to nitro, but I just found it a bit too stressful...I will put some baseball cards in my spokes and see what that sounds like.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:47 AM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: McFly505

People can say what they want, but the brushless revolution is coming, like it or not.

Plain and simple, a b/l powered anything will SMOKE it's nitro powered counterpart.

Have a taste.

LOSI 8ight B

LOSI 8ight T

Scott

oooooo purdy nice.....and ur 100000% right buddy......the revolotion is on its way......specially with all these scares of No nitro. [:'(]
Old 06-13-2008, 08:10 AM
mtbkym01

ORIGINAL: happywing

Hey bhcvc, here's your BEC at Tower:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSWL3&P=ML

ORIGINAL: mtbkym01
Agreed. There is an appeal to nitro, but I just found it a bit too stressful...I will put some baseball cards in my spokes and see what that sounds like.
Cards in spokes[sm=lol.gif], That takes me back......
Old 06-13-2008, 10:57 AM
madmax22

yea i think BL is cool, nothing beats the smell and sound of nitro but im enjoying the nitro wile I can.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Oasis TR

what in the.. do you mean while i can..why is off road any different than on road?? they dont run nitro TC's and electric TC's in the same class..Why should off road run them together..Every place i have ever raced has a 3 cars/trucks and it's a class deal..I welcome the brushless buggies and truggies, but you guys need to run in your own class..
BHCVC..why do you want to buy new? your going to be replacing a good portion of the drive train and any problem areas would not cost to much to replace. The Truggies that you listed are pretty much on the bottom of the food chain..you could do much better buying used..Even if you dont have a radio system it would still be cheaper to buy a FM radio (mid priced..Futaba 3PM) and some mid level servos because with an rtr your are going to eventually have to replace the servos that came with the car..I just think that for a electric conversion it's cheaper to buy used..
Old 06-13-2008, 04:20 PM
mtbkym01

ORIGINAL: Oasis TR

what in the.. do you mean while i can..why is off road any different than on road?? they dont run nitro TC's and electric TC's in the same class..Why should off road run them together..Every place i have ever raced has a 3 cars/trucks and it's a class deal..I welcome the brushless buggies and truggies, but you guys need to run in your own class..BHCVC..why do you want to buy new? your going to be replacing a good portion of the drive train and any problem areas would not cost to much to replace. The Truggies that you listed are pretty much on the bottom of the food chain..you could do much better buying used..Even if you dont have a radio system it would still be cheaper to buy a FM radio (mid priced..Futaba 3PM) and some mid level servos because with an rtr your are going to eventually have to replace the servos that came with the car..I just think that for a electric conversion it's cheaper to buy used..
Dead right!
Old 06-13-2008, 04:28 PM
INTEGRA

madmax is refering to the fact that Nitro might not exactly be readily avaliable in the next 6-12 month's....nothing to do with ur little rant u just pulled...sorry Oasis.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Snaut Rocket

You forgot to put the TT st1 on your list.
Awsome truggy for this IMO
Old 06-13-2008, 10:19 PM
bhcvc

Thanks for more info. Shark and McFly - awesome conversions!!! Damn, those BLs are fast!

Oasis - I haven't really looked into used much, but am open to it. Honestly, if I were to get a used truggy to save money, I'd probably still get one of the lower-priced entry models I listed and just save more money. I won't be competitively racing, just run at the track and have run with others running too (friendly competition and fun). I'll search on RCU for used ones also.

Snaut - I did mention the TT ST-1 that I looked into it, but I like the other 3 more...primarily the Kyosho and Hot Bodies.

I can't find any info on the BL versions on Caster Racing's website. And considering their "kits" are $450, that's more than the RTRs (especially considering I could get money back for selling the engines). Hope their BL versions aren't too expensive.

Anyone have an estimate on how much unused engines from those RTRs would fetch?
Old 06-14-2008, 01:10 AM
bhcvc

Seems I can get a Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium Sport for pretty cheap...might be leaning toward that for cost reasons.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:05 AM
happywing

That's a real good point about buying used. You could get a MBX5-T roller in the low $300.00 range. You will probably save money in the long run because they rarely break. You will definitely spend more time on the track than in the pits fixing, if you get a better truggy.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:53 AM
INTEGRA

a crappy truggy is only gonna get u so far.....the LSP is a a POS if u read up on it....its SUPER oldschool with basically No updates....i would HIGHLY reccomend u get a Actual race bred truggy so u can actually last more then 1 tank of gasor 1/2 a pack before your broken and sitting on the sidelines watching ur freinds have fun...i would NOT reccomend the Hotbodies to ANY one.....abd a RTR motor will fetch about 100$...pending on which 1 it is....but more will got for 75-100$
Old 06-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Snaut Rocket

ORIGINAL: McFly505

Have a taste.

LOSI 8ight B

LOSI 8ight T

Scott
hey mcfly were you using manual brakes.
If so how do you do manual brakes on a 3 channel controller
Would you split the esc and brake servo on the same channel
Old 06-14-2008, 12:20 PM
McFly505

Those vehicles are not mine, I already own 1 Losi car and thats one too many, IMO.

Those conversions are available from Tekno RC.
I was simply showing what companies are offering for the b/l conversion crowd.

These particular kits offer what no other conversion can.
A clutch and brake bias adjustment.

Scott
Old 06-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Oasis TR

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

madmax is referring to the fact that Nitro might not exactly be readily available in the next 6-12 month's....nothing to do with ur little rant u just pulled...sorry Oasis.
Not so much a rant towards madmax..Locally were getting more and more guys coming out with brushless conversions and for some reason they think that they should race with the nitros, we explain that since their are 3 or more of them they will race in their own class..and they just dont get it..and why is nitro going to be hard to get?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.