Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Truggy vs buggy

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:52 AM
IL2mSturmovik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Truggy vs buggy

Modhobby has teh lowest price EVER on a ProSPec! $479!!
http://www.modhobby.com/catalog/detail/MUGE0030
Old 07-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Force4x4

This is turning in to a flame war and going off the subject of what was asked in the first place.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:32 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: Force4x4

This is turning in to a flame war and going off the subject of what was asked in the first place.
Sorry[] I'll shut up I know supertib anyways, he knows I am not starting anything with him!. He is a supernice guy.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:21 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

Sorry[] I'll shut up I know supertib anyways, he knows I am not starting anything with him!. He is a supernice guy.

No flaming here !!!! everyone is entitled to have an opinion...
Old 07-05-2008, 01:11 PM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: supertib

No flaming here !!!! everyone is entitled to have an opinion...
Roger that! People are too darned sensitive nowadays
Old 07-05-2008, 01:59 PM
supertib

I want to continue our debate, but first I want to say that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and just because 2 people disagree does not mean the thread has turned into a flame war.. I am finding it impossible to say anything online without somebody getting defensive and upset...Honestly are we supposed to act like a bunch of happy little Smurfs ? To what end does all this agreeing lead us ? IMHO some people need to speak up and not be scared to voice an opinion.... It seems to me people are scared to even speak up these days if their opinion goes against the norm....

Anyways I know of several people who owned the Castor truggy, they no longer own it and they all say the durability was the main issue... If need be I can have these people write me their personal story with the product and I will then post it in this thread, another thing they all agree on is how much money they lost when they went to sell the Castor products, they had to nearly give the machines away to get anyone to take them....I do not know one person who has ever sold a Mugen for durability reasons, and in fact most will tell you a Mugen is the toughest Truggy ever built. The Mugen is honestly a freak when it comes to being tough and reliable, it is likely the toughest RC Truggy int he world..Mugen plastic is the best plastic by far that I have ever seen used on a RC, I have owned many other brands of RC and nobody has their plastics dialed like Mugen does... I guarantee that Castor does not have Mugen quality plastic as nobody but Mugen has that caliber of material... I honestly think someone has to own a Mugen to truly understand the differences, owning a Castor and not a Mugen likely has tinted your veiw of the Truggies, I do know several who jumped from Mugen to Castor and the differences were huge when it came to durability and reliability.... Tho I will say everyone says the Castor was very fast when it held together, they say it turns awesome and all... but its performance could not make up for its lack of durability......

If you wish to do a stress test I would purchase a Castor control arm and test it next to Mugen arm, just to see if the Castor really has Mugen caliber materials..... All I can say is do not underestimate the Mugen's material quality, just because something looks the same definitely does not make it the same.....IMHO Mugen plastic is without question the best in the business...... For $479.00 a Mugen MBX5T Prospec is an amazing deal....
Old 07-05-2008, 02:23 PM
vnmsgt

Well like you said everyone has a opinion. 479 is a hell of a deal for mugen, I never said I did not like the mugen. Many people by me and friends of mine own mugens and I have worked on them and driven them. You may think that mugen has the best materials but so does the guy who has x-ray, Losi, Kyosho etc. All preference and depends what and how they have hit stuff. I have never debated resale of the caster vs. mugen and I agree with you. You will not get money for a caster like you will a mugen but only because of brand notoriety. I really do not care about resale of any of my R/C. I run them alot and hard and when I get rid of them I have gotten my money's worth out of them so if I get 150 bucks for it oh well. Hell I sold my old used Redcat Monsoon truggy for over 200 dollars! There is a right buyer for everything. I expect stuff to break in this hobby and that is part of the fun (fixing stuff) as long as it is not constantly and my caster has been real reliable in that department. The old kits I know for sure had problems that have been fixed but I sure like having alot less money in my Caster than others and just as much fun. Nobody needs personal stories about anything. There is a hater out there for every brand no matter what is. People think losi's are junk because they eat servos and some say are not durable, some say they are the best. Some say Kyosho is the best but some say they are weak and break arms and knuckles and I know a ton of guys who boil there Kyosho arms to make them durable. I have never boiled caster arms. All depends and how the car is taken care of. Every company starts out somewhere and may not have some of the resources bigger guys have and always have teething problems and has to update or fix problems. When you see a company take notice and do that and make there stuff better for everyone that says alot and Caster has done that so far. At one time mugen was a up and comer and I am sure people said the same and now they are one of the best if not the best out there but it takes time. Like everything else in this world, do one thing wrong and someone tells 10 people for every 1 person they tell if you do right. That is hard to overcome but can be done.

BTW how would you stress test the arms? Just curious because that would be interesting. I do have both mugen and caster arms and could try it myself as I would be very interested in seeing what happened.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:47 PM
vnmsgt

I do say it is nice have a discussion like this that does not get nasty with a person (supertib). Should always be like this.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:19 PM
hakmazter

I am dying to see the response to this.... Yes, it has been noted that Caster had problems over a year ago. What is funny is that the anti-Caster person is probably either Mike or Ed or related to them somehow. I agree this should not be a flame war, but enough is enough. When Caster came to the U.S., it was average product and it was designed around the concept of racing outside of the U.S. It was brought over here by a few different individuals who really had no business being involved. We took over about a year ago and told everyone involved....."This is a prototype for this market, we have to find out what the problems are, so that we can resolve them."

As a result, we have better shocks, better plastic, better hinge pins, better everything. We have changed the chemical composition of the nylon/plastic, we have engineered new aluminum pieces for even better handling, and we even engineered an electric 1/8 scale that should be here in the next few weeks. The Caster anyone would buy today is dramatically different than the ones that were out a year ago. By the way, any current team members, thank you for all your support, etc....

Today, we can still say that the bodies are still thin, but are being developed in a different way and the truggy tires wear out quickly, but hold well on midwest dirt. There are a lot of things going on at Caster and we will continue to grow.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:38 PM
YourDogg

well i am going to purchase a caster for my first RC and its going to be fun as long as i dont wrecked it the first time lol. which could happen.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:52 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: YourDogg

well i am going to purchase a caster for my first RC and its going to be fun as long as i dont wrecked it the first time lol. which could happen.
Oh you WILL wreck LOL! All of us do!
Old 07-06-2008, 12:08 AM
YourDogg

ORIGINAL: YourDogg

Oh you WILL wreck LOL! All of us do!
I know i will wreck but i just hope it doesnt get totalled is what i am saying. ill be just getting used to driving them so i wont be going that hard on it till im more used to the truck.... nah ill probably break it in and go balls out!!!!! but i dont have a track to race on so i have to build one with my freinds but we need a design. how big can the jumps get for truggies without it being over board? two of my freinds have associated mgts so they can do bigger jumps but ill smoke them in speed and handling... i hope. so roughly whats good jump sizes??
Old 07-06-2008, 12:55 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: hakmazter

I am dying to see the response to this.... Yes, it has been noted that Caster had problems over a year ago. What is funny is that the anti-Caster person is probably either Mike or Ed or related to them somehow. I agree this should not be a flame war, but enough is enough. When Caster came to the U.S., it was average product and it was designed around the concept of racing outside of the U.S. It was brought over here by a few different individuals who really had no business being involved. We took over about a year ago and told everyone involved....."This is a prototype for this market, we have to find out what the problems are, so that we can resolve them."

As a result, we have better shocks, better plastic, better hinge pins, better everything. We have changed the chemical composition of the nylon/plastic, we have engineered new aluminum pieces for even better handling, and we even engineered an electric 1/8 scale that should be here in the next few weeks. The Caster anyone would buy today is dramatically different than the ones that were out a year ago. By the way, any current team members, thank you for all your support, etc....

Today, we can still say that the bodies are still thin, but are being developed in a different way and the truggy tires wear out quickly, but hold well on midwest dirt. There are a lot of things going on at Caster and we will continue to grow.

Yes all the people who had problems were from a while back, I am glad to see you have acknowledged previous problems and taken steps towards correcting them !....
Old 07-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Force4x4

I remember when CEN first hit the market and all of the issues and growing pains they had but look at them now. You just have to be patient and give these companies time to R&D there products in actual races and real world environments. I am sure that the current Caster is much better than the previous one and I plan on finding out for myself by buying a kit in a few weeks.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:08 AM
mabuecker
My Feedback: (8)

I think its crazy how even the older mugens are so tuff . . . its not just the word its fact . . . I know fellas with all brands of good 8scales who rebuild their buggy every single time they race them and I guess I do as well ... if we are the least bit competitive the best way to stay within distance is to keep a buggy in tip top shape ... I'm still getting used to it (upkeep) . . . there is always maintnance other than shocks diffs and tires ... these mugens though there crazy ...I know guys that race all the time and unless they go home fix and pour more mudd on them which I'm sure they dont mugens are tanks . . . I'd say on average upkeep for 7-8 months out of the year amugen takes about 30% what a losi takes to maintain . . .