Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Best truggy what to buy

Old 07-08-2008, 03:14 PM
marlcidlosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best truggy what to buy

I have narrowed my two truggies to the losi eight RTR and the robotronics Mantis RTR. I like both and I know the prices are a little different. I would like to know opiions on what people think the better truck would be. I plan use it for mostly fun and practice runs at my local track. I may with some experience race but not right away. So what wold be the better truck? Also ballpark, prices all the things i would need money wise after I get The RTR, package,,,Ie batteries charger prices total with truck to actually run it. I know the Losi is around 599-620 at some websites, and the mantis is around 465. So opinions please what would work best I like both>>> thanks Mark
Old 07-08-2008, 03:21 PM
DS

Default RE: Best truggy what to buy

everyone on here is going to say go with the 8ieght. Also the parts for the mantis are hard to find. Then they will probably say the kit is better in the long run. But out of those two the 8eight would be the best. Oh and ultimate hobbies had the mantis for 429.99 i think.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:28 PM
mordraid

The LOSI comes with a 2.4 ghz radio. This is way better than what you get with the mantis. I would defenitly go with the team losi 8-T
Old 07-08-2008, 03:31 PM
rebelracer246

it is alot more dureable than the mantis
Old 07-08-2008, 03:47 PM
DS

told ya lol
Old 07-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Mufasa_719

The mantis is more of a sport basher. Not much of a racer. The 8T could bash as well as race.

What you need to run......Well what do you already have??????

Hump pack about 20-25
Charger....30
Fuel.....35(gal)
AA batts for the radio....7-8
glow starter......15

and so on it just depends on what you already own
Old 07-08-2008, 04:37 PM
K_B

You should take parts support into account. Most local shops carry Losi stuff. Not so much with Robotronics...
Old 07-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Mufasa_719

^^^^^^^^^^^^^True dat
Old 07-08-2008, 05:14 PM
SycoCell
My Feedback: (3)

8T 100% of the way. I just added an 8T to my collection a few weeks ago and man is it amazing. I've had many RC's, but I love this thing. Took it out on the track with a stock setup, placed 2nd in the A-main with guys that have raced there for years. Once you get the feel for the speed and power, definitely will you love it. But, the 8ight comes with a receiver pack and charger, so cross 50 bucks off the list. All you will need is the 8AA's for the Transmitter, fuel, D batter for the glow ignitor (if you don't ahve your own), and a fuel bottle (which is truely needed).
Old 07-08-2008, 06:45 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: rebelracer246

it is alot more dureable than the mantis
More durable?? The mantis is a tank! Not as light as a 8ight but definetly will take more abuse on the chassis and arms. Everything is thick on the mantis and comes with all aluminum chassis braces and thick 4mm shock towers compared to the Losi's thin RTR ones. Out of the box the 8ight will beat a Mantis because of the tires. Mantis comes with basher tires not good for racing with high sidewalls and very soft. The Radio on the Losi you cannot beat and will spend another 200 or so on the mantis just to get the radio gear, and believe everyone here, you will buy the spektrum if what you have does not come with it. For more of a basher and practice messing around I would go with the mantis (I HAD ONE) but you cannot beat the Losi just because of the spektrum radio. I like to be different in what I own and not have what everyone else has so that drew me to the Mantis too. I had it and raced if for a year and never broke a single part on it except for 1 rear diff. Not a single arm or anything. If you can find a parts supplier for the mantis then it will be great. I could not find one at the time and was a pain just to get the diff parts.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:14 PM
DS

or u could buy the mantis and get a spectrim radio it still will be cheapier
Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 PM
jaymo1994

I hope you guys are right about the 8ight i just bought one to day but i am doing away with the radio i all ready have a Hitech Aggressor system that i run on my other Buggys, that i am going to install in my new 8ight.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:20 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: jaymo1994

I hope you guys are right about the 8ight i just bought one to day but i am doing away with the radio i all ready have a Hitech Aggressor system that i run on my other Buggys, that i am going to install in my new 8ight.
The 8ight is awesome and no matter what you will like it. I just think it is more of a racer than anything else.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:34 PM
SycoCell
My Feedback: (3)

Yes. You won't be mad with the 8T. I'm surprised the Spektrum doesn't do it for you. But oh well. I'll give you $50 for the spektrum receiver. PM me
Old 07-08-2008, 08:38 PM
jaymo1994

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: jaymo1994

The 8ight is awesome and no matter what you will like it. I just think it is more of a racer than anything else.
Yeah icant wait till tommarrow to fire it up and break in the engine i am pretty exited about it.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:53 PM
ericem

You will be VERY surprised how well the mach 427 performs. Here is a crash test Just make sure your receiver is dialed in(has built in failsafe for interference and loss of signal not battery failsafe) and the battery is full. Basically need to read the manual for the radio. Test it by shuttong off the radio and seein if it hits the brakes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbOyemdOc5A

Oh and no it did NOT break