Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Wide or narrow tires for truggy?

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Wide or narrow tires for truggy?

Old 07-09-2008, 11:32 PM
bhcvc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide or narrow tires for truggy?

Most truggies seem to come with narrower tires (~2.75") while a few are wider (3"-3.3"). I just got a set of Dirt Bonz tires which are 3.36" wide. Right now, I'm running my ST-1 wheels/tires (2.75" wide) on my E-Sav. I'm wondering whether I should use the wider Dirt Bonz on the ST-1 or the normal ST-1 tires.

What the advantages and disadvantages of the narrower and wider tires on a truggy?

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:59 AM
monaro1

Default RE: Wide or narrow tires for truggy?

if you are bashing get what you like the look of.
racing the tyres change with track conditions
Old 07-10-2008, 05:11 AM
windowlicker

think you want thin for loose and wider for hard tight surfaces. The thinner the tyre, the more pressure it will put down on its narrower surface area. Wider tyres have less pressure due to their wider contact area with the ground. Narrower tyres in most cases will bite better, wider will have a tenancy to slide a little more.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't race, I'm just using my poor knowledge of physics!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:00 PM
RcRacer37E

I like the lrp rims vs the standard rims. If your just bashing around though, go with the standard rims and a set of moabs or knuckles. Racing, lrp with hole shots, bow tie or crime fighters.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:31 PM
windowlicker

you mean lpr? Low Profile Race?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:48 PM
bhcvc

ORIGINAL: windowlicker

think you want thin for loose and wider for hard tight surfaces. The thinner the tyre, the more pressure it will put down on its narrower surface area. Wider tyres have less pressure due to their wider contact area with the ground. Narrower tyres in most cases will bite better, wider will have a tenancy to slide a little more.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't race, I'm just using my poor knowledge of physics!
That makes sense (just like real tires). So for hard, dry conditions, wider is better. But for slippery surfaces, narrower is better. At my local track, narrower is probably better as the track is hard packed dirt (really hard) with a very slippery thin top of loose dirt. I'll try both. Was mainly wondering to decide if I wanted to get a 2nd set of dirt bonz to dedicate to the truggy.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 PM
rebelracer246

for when my local track has alot of losse dirt on it i use gators and when it has hardly no losse dirt on it i use holeshots
Old 07-11-2008, 10:50 AM
phattracker
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: bhcvc

That makes sense (just like real tires). So for hard, dry conditions, wider is better. But for slippery surfaces, narrower is better. At my local track, narrower is probably better as the track is hard packed dirt (really hard) with a very slippery thin top of loose dirt. I'll try both. Was mainly wondering to decide if I wanted to get a 2nd set of dirt bonz to dedicate to the truggy.

I got a set of full set(wheels & tires) of Max Mulchers and a set of LPR crimefighters at the same time for my truggy, and needless to say, I NEVER run those mulchers. lol The only thing they are good for is mulching the track early in the morning for grooming purposes. Go LPR and never look back, they truly do make a HUGE difference on the track. I'm never going back. I wouldn't suggest black wheels however, they take the same beatings as white or yellow and look 100 times worse. IMO
Old 07-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Oasis TR

On the type of tread and width..A narrow tire turns better, you have better acceleration and your suspension works better also (wider tire weighs more..). On the rim color..I dont understand why someone would use a black rim for racing..RC is visual..proven fact.. the brighter the color the better and quicker your brain processes the information..black rims are harder to see..really..why do you think they make neon yellow rims..I dont really care if their ugly, on the larger tracks it really helps your control..
Old 07-11-2008, 11:25 AM
windowlicker

pants...

I just bought some LPR Crimefighters and black rims, haha! Best take some photos now whilst they look good!

To be fair thought, I'm styling my Hellfire as black and silver, keeping its as subtle and as stylish as possible. Its just my style...
Old 07-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Oasis TR

pants...

I just bought some LPR Crimefighters and black rims, haha! Best take some photos now whilst they look good!

To be fair thought, I'm styling my Hellfire as black and silver, keeping its as subtle and as stylish as possible. Its just my style...
sliver and black..Needs some Raiders Stickers..lol..it's an American Football Team..the real football..
Old 07-11-2008, 01:44 PM
windowlicker

Good for you I'm not interested in either football. Motorsport is my sport
Old 07-11-2008, 01:48 PM
rebelracer246

thats a first for me
Old 07-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Oasis TR

Good for you I'm not interested in either football. Motorsport is my sport
Try to joke around..yes i like motorsports more also..
Old 07-11-2008, 05:41 PM
windowlicker

Sorry if my last post sounded harsh, it didn't mean to, but the more I read it, the worse it reads. Is that what you are referring to when you say try to joke around Oasis TR?
Old 07-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Oasis TR

Yea..Sliver and Black is the colors of the Raiders "Bad Boys" of football..
Old 07-11-2008, 06:15 PM
windowlicker

haha, yeah I know that, I was just trying to say that I'm not a football fan, but it came across more like, football is s**t, shut up! never mind... I hope I caused no offence.

Anyone know how easy it is to strip paint out of the bodyshell to respray it? I fancy respraying one of my shells a nicer colour than neon orange...
Old 07-11-2008, 06:29 PM
rebelracer246

ya its really hard but i sprayed mine on thick
Old 07-12-2008, 09:24 AM
phattracker

ORIGINAL: Oasis TR

On the type of tread and width..A narrow tire turns better, you have better acceleration and your suspension works better also (wider tire weighs more..). On the rim color..I dont understand why someone would use a black rim for racing..RC is visual..proven fact.. the brighter the color the better and quicker your brain processes the information..black rims are harder to see..really..why do you think they make neon yellow rims..I dont really care if their ugly, on the larger tracks it really helps your control..

Some people have eyes like fighter pilots, so color doesn't mean that much to me anyway. Besides, driving is driving. And how often do you look at your wheels when you are driving to the store or to work? And just in case they dont make a NFL schedule out in neon yellow, the raiders are gonna lose. Go Titans. This is all in good fun BTW. I'm very happy, I'M A DADDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO HHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
My new toy is 7.2 lbs, 20 in. long and has her daddy's feet.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:20 AM
windowlicker

are you talking about a new car, or a baby girl? Referring to a baby as a toy is a little disturbing...
Old 07-12-2008, 03:44 PM
phattracker

are you talking about a new car, or a baby girl? Referring to a baby as a toy is a little disturbing...

lol. Yeah it's a GIRL!!!!!!@ ONEPROUDPOPPA!!!!!! She's gona get her first rc in a few years fo sho. Maybe a pink Losi.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Oasis TR

ORIGINAL: phattracker

lol. Yeah it's a GIRL!!!!!!@ ONEPROUDPOPPA!!!!!! She's gona get her first rc in a few years fo sho. Maybe a pink Losi.
Well congratulations is in order..
Old 07-12-2008, 04:14 PM
windowlicker

congratulations!

But PLEASE I've seen too many RCs on eBay, such as this classic:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RC-Monster-Tru...QQcmdZViewItem

For sale because his 4 YEAR OLD SON can't handle it!!!! Why oh why spend over £500 on a 7.7 monster truck for a child who is so young they could barely hold the controller in their hands! What a complete numb nuts!
Old 07-12-2008, 04:52 PM
rebelracer246

ya that is stupid
Old 07-12-2008, 06:26 PM
FatBoyObese

Congats Phattracker on the birth of your daughter

Windowlicker.....If your shell is an rtr you will probably find the paint is printed on before they form the shell...if this is the case then Nail varnish remover will get it off with some effort but without clouding the shell as brake fluid does....but you will need to find nail varnish remover that is Acetone free, the one I tried that contained it didn't work at all...the one I used that works contains ethyl acetate...it's hard work but the results are promising, just got to get some more as I've used up the last of wifeys :-

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.