Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Don't Be Afraid of

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:02 AM
phattracker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't Be Afraid of

For all you new guys that get into RC racing with an RTR. Do not hesitate to take your RC completely apart. Everything from the servos to the engine, diffs, shocks, and everything in between. Most all RTR's now days come with really good instruction manuals for assembly. Just be very organized on the disassembly, take it a section at a time even, like the rear chunk then the front chunk, then the radio tray. Don't be afraid to ruin it, If you are, then you maybe need to rethink you new hobby. Taking a RTR apart and putting it back together is a great way to get to know how it works, and also gives you peice of mind when it comes to how it was built in the factory. Humans build these things, and anybody that's human knows that humans make mistakes. If you are buying a RTR for the out of the box ready to run experience, just know that when you break it or have trouble out of it, that's when the RTR ends. Then everyone is on the same page, lots of taking apart and fixing, no one is exempt. Racing is a very involved hobby, and race cars take ALOT of upkeep, and most of that "upkeep" is taking apart and putting back together. Just remember to be organized, keep your work area clean and you'll do just fine.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:02 AM
windowlicker

Default RE: Don't Be Afraid of

Well said phattracker!

If only there was a way newbies could be told this at the hobby shop! Or like an agreement that they sign before they are allowed to post here, so you don't get questions like: My engine wont start, what's wrong? Still, the Truggy section is nowhere near as bad as the Stadium Truck section!
Old 07-21-2008, 04:32 AM
*FULL-REVS*

well said!!!! at my track when anyone asks for my help... i tell them "i will talk you through it... but you can do the hands on part" normally by the end of it weather it be a clutch build or shock oils they are so wrapped they did it themselves and have alot more confidence to try more things ... and in this day and age with being able to send pics,chat online, etc... whats the worse thing that can happen to a noob? jump on this fantastic forum post some pics and ask some questions.... my saying "if ya dont know how it works....pull it apart and find out"
Old 07-21-2008, 05:53 AM
rebelracer246

ya very well said me being a studing engineer im jsut cours about everything any ways so ya lol
Old 07-21-2008, 06:56 AM
Jatohulk

The Hobby shop will tell you in how to take the RC apart because they want you to take to them and some of them charge you for the fixing. Here in Miami there is a hobby shop that try that with me and I told them ok and readed as much as I can on the internet and did it myself after taking my 3 RC apart I did not need to go to them for anything. I went back for a part that I needed and they ask me so how are you doing with your RC I told very well and that have taking them apart and fix they were surprise that I did that.. I was not going to let them charge me for something I can learn how to do...

Old 07-22-2008, 12:57 PM
phattracker

Thats the attitude to have jato. If your gonna get into racing rc's, you better learn some wrenching. And what better way to learn than hands on experience.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:33 PM
westphill24

I agree with knowing how to strip your car down rebuild but the only problem I ran into was the instructions. I downloaded the exploded veiw of the revo off the traxxas website and it had lines criss crossing and pars connecting that where on different sides of the page. that made things really overwhelming but once I started I saw it wasnt really hard at all.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:01 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: windowlicker

Well said phattracker!

If only there was a way newbies could be told this at the hobby shop! Or like an agreement that they sign before they are allowed to post here, so you don't get questions like: My engine wont start, what's wrong? Still, the Truggy section is nowhere near as bad as the Stadium Truck section!
I think why its worse in the ST forum is because you can get a RTR ST for under $300, and a RTR truggy is about $450 - $600

The traxxas MT forum is bad to. Some of those post you can even read.[:-]

very well said phattracker, nice job.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:01 PM
J24gordon

Very well put phattracker. I just got a truggy this march,it was a rtr crt, I now have 2 pro crt's that i've completely torn apart and rebuilt, as well as rebuiling a couple of engines. It's alot easier then working on my real truck(that is mostly computer controlled),and is also more enjoyable. To see what little changes make huge differences in lap times and handling has got to be the best part.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:14 AM
phattracker

That's exactly how I came up. RC is mechanical, so it takes a degree of skill to work on them. It's a skill that can be learned easily by trial and error, and just getting in there and doing it.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:32 AM
SycoCell
My Feedback: (3)

Simple- New to R/C, get a Traxxas. Everyone else get Losi/Mugen/TT/AE...Not to bash Traxxas because the Revo is sexy, but every LHS has Traxxas crap
Old 07-23-2008, 11:25 AM
madmax22

with my first nitro rc (t-maxx) i took it back every week! then my mom and dad started to get tired of driving 45min. to get 1 little part fixed that will cost 5 times more for them to fix it for me then just buying the part and fixing it myself. So i broke a lot of parts then i got smart, started to take it apart found what i need to take off to get where then it was cake.... and i learned how to drive not go WOT off a 5ft jump into a tree[:@].... lol... the rest came over time.... dont be afraid you break something you break something.... better then not having your truck and having the HS do it for you. I broke a couple parts taking my first rc apart but it was worth learning how it works!