Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Coming back to RC Truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 01:20 PM
CaptEvo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming back to RC Truck

Thinking about coming back to RC truck after I sold my Savage 25SS, and my BMX buggy about 2 years ago.
Purely for bashing, don't think I'll be track racing.
Looks like in the past 2 years truggy has been booming where as before just MT or buggy.
I have a few option in mind, but want to see what yall think which is best for bashing - jumping.
Durability comes 1st.
I still have my MX-3 radio, so even if I have to ditch whatever crappy stock radio comes with RTR is fine with me.
List not in any order (and my observasion from reading forums)
- TTR ST-1 - cheap extremely durable - but is it a good basher?

- Savage XL - Durable, no hopups needed - is there any design change from SS21/25 days? I hate working on it b4.

- MGT 4.6 or 8.0 - All good thing - 8.0 price is a little high. Need hopup to bash?

I have kids (toddlers) and do not have time to tinker like I did b4, so I'm looking low maintenance (that's why durability has high priority).
Regular maintenance is fine with me - I'm not a total newbie.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:46 PM
slayerphonics

Default RE: Coming back to RC Truck

ORIGINAL: CaptEvo

Thinking about coming back to RC truck after I sold my Savage 25SS, and my BMX buggy about 2 years ago.
Looks like in the past 2 years truggy has been booming where as before just MT or buggy.
I have a few option in mind, but want to see what yall think which is best for bashing - jumping.
Durability comes 1st.
I still have my MX-3 radio, so even if I have to ditch whatever crappy stock radio comes with RTR is fine with me.

- Savage XL - Durable, no hopups needed - is there any design change from SS21/25 days? I hate working on it b4.

- MGT 4.6 or 8.0 - All good thing - 8.0 price is a little high. Need hopup to bash?

I have kids (toddlers) and do not have time to tinker like I did b4, so I'm looking low maintenance (that's why durability has high priority).

Thanks in advance.
From that list your best choice is the TTR ST-1
ST-1 Can bash and race with the best of them. If you race id suggest upgrading electronics and motor. but thats with any RTR

Savage still needs some upgrades,
and the MGT has some problems.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:30 AM
Oasis TR

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: CaptEvo

Durability comes 1st.

Thanks in advance.
From that list your best choice is the TTR ST-1
ST-1 Can bash and race with the best of them. If you race id suggest upgrading electronics and motor. but thats with any RTR

Savage still needs some upgrades,
and the MGT has some problems.
What up grades does the XL need for bashing? (other than radio up-grade..and All RTR's need that) It needs none that I'm aware of. The Savage for Bashing has no equal..and they are much easier to work on nowadays also. I'm not talking about racing I'm talking about bashing. I have never seen any RC take the abuse that a Savage will..I gave a Savage X SS to my GF's son and I'm shocked that it still runs..watching the abuse it goes through..I would go with a Savage..and BASH AWAY
Old 07-23-2008, 08:36 AM
CaptEvo

Thanks for the reply.
I'm leaning toward the SavageXL, but that ST-1 looks like less maintenance.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:58 AM
slayerphonics

ST-1 is less maintience and easier to work on, thundertiger has the cheapest parts around.

I would put an ST-1 up against a savage for bashing any day,

BTW ST-1 has an optional 2 speed system also.

But we are comparing a Monster truck to a truggy.

So Id ask myself do I want a monster truck or a truggy.

Truggy is gonna be able to do everything the savage can do, but better and faster.

Although I want the new savage the real big isn't the XL version?

Honestly man just buy what your heart is set on, you'll have the most fun with that.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 AM
RcRacer37E

Stay away from the savage. It might be ok for bashing but track performace is dead last. If your going for a monster truck, grab a revo. Great basher and top notch racing monster. Bashing a truggy, thats a close call between them all as they all are pretty durable. It comes down to parts and how easy they are to get.
You can grab a decent roller of any brand off ebay for half the price of a new one, same holds true for the monster trucks. I got my strr roller off ebay for 188 shipped.
Check out your lhs for parts, if they carry parts for the ttr Id grab that truggy, or revo parts, go with that. Nothing bites more than waiting a week for a part to be mailed.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Oasis TR

The new "BIG" Savage is the XL..I have driven one and It was a lot of fun, For bashing I thought it was more fun than my Truggies..In fact..I thought the Baja was more fun than anything I have ever driven for bashing..and nowadays cheaper on fuel..I can get a modded 26..not a .26 either for the same price as a good .21 or .28..The cool thing about the Baja is 45 to 50 minute run times off a single tank..down side is it's big so you need a larger area to run them. One bummer is the cost but you dont need to up grade your servos or do much more, and they are tough..I have a few friends that work for HPI..at corporate..
Old 07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Oasis TR

ORIGINAL: nascardad24

Stay away from the savage. It might be ok for bashing but track performace is dead last. If your going for a monster truck, grab a revo. Great basher and top notch racing monster. Bashing a truggy, thats a close call between them all as they all are pretty durable. It comes down to parts and how easy they are to get.
You can grab a decent roller of any brand off ebay for half the price of a new one, same holds true for the monster trucks. I got my strr roller off ebay for 188 shipped.
Check out your lhs for parts, if they carry parts for the ttr Id grab that truggy, or revo parts, go with that. Nothing bites more than waiting a week for a part to be mailed.
Funny..I have a REVO and for bashing i would not recommend it..For racing yes, and talk about something that's hard to work on..it would be the Revo. The New Savages are very easy to work on. Diff maintenance is as easy as a truggy. I just dont get why anyone would say stay away from a Savage for Bashing..Obviously you dont own one or have not checked out the new ones. I own BOTH, A Savage and a Revo..The Savage holds up WAY better to HUGE AIR..Trips to the skate park..I've jumped mine off my house..[X(]..The Revo breaks doing the same stuff..But It is way faster on the Track..But..CaptEvo did say BASHING..Read the reviews on R/C CAR..untill you see one run in person you just dont know how fast they really are..44 mph..thats fast for a MT this size..Plus on the maintenance you can get to the trannies gears without taking the truck apart take the top cover off. 4 screws to access the diffs, the diff cases are metal, 17mm hubs..the list goes on and on..you even get a metal gear servo 120oz..For Bashing go with the XL Savage..you wount be sorry..
Old 07-23-2008, 01:13 PM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: Oasis TR

ORIGINAL: nascardad24

Funny..I have a REVO and for bashing i would not recommend it..For racing yes, and talk about something that's hard to work on..it would be the Revo. The New Savages are very easy to work on. Diff maintenance is as easy as a truggy. I just dont get why anyone would say stay away from a Savage for Bashing..Obviously you dont own one or have not checked out the new ones. I own BOTH, A Savage and a Revo..The Savage holds up WAY better to HUGE AIR..Trips to the skate park..I've jumped mine off my house..[X(]..The Revo breaks doing the same stuff..But It is way faster on the Track..But..CaptEvo did say BASHING..Read the reviews on R/C CAR..untill you see one run in person you just dont know how fast they really are..44 mph..thats fast for a MT this size..Plus on the maintenance you can get to the trannies gears without taking the truck apart take the top cover off. 4 screws to access the diffs, the diff cases are metal, 17mm hubs..the list goes on and on..you even get a metal gear servo 120oz..For Bashing go with the XL Savage..you wount be sorry..
The new XL was reviewed in the Xtreme mag

8 - Instructions
9 - Parts Quality Fit
10 - Durablity
7 - Tunability
8.5 - Over all performance
9 - Value.

Hits-

Surprisingly easy to work on
can take a beating
reliable engine

Misses

Plastic shock bodies
Roto-start access kinda tricky
stock throttle servo could be better

Main Competition
Traxxas T-max
Traxxas Revo
Team Losi Raminator
Team Assosiacted MGT 8.0
Tamiya TNX 5.2

Whos it for
Bashers who want a big go anywhere monster truck

I like the new XL savage, If bought another monster truck it would prolly be that one, but i'm just to into racing right now, so I think my money is on the 808
Old 07-23-2008, 02:10 PM
SycoCell
My Feedback: (3)

I recommend the MGT 8.0...It's crazy powerful, and built like a rock. It did have some issued previously, but AE did a good job of sorting that out and the new ones are good. The only downside is that the 8.0 engine is a b1tch to tune. Get rid of the 8's engine and put an LRP .28 or the 4.6 in it. I would say the mgt 4.6 is good idea, but might as well upgrade to the 8 because of the steel tranny and steel spur. I personally owned both at one point.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:33 PM
slayerphonics

I seen his MGT it looked like a fun monster truck with more power then it needed. It was fun to watch it wheelie when it poped into 2nd gear.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:46 PM
SycoCell

Yeah except it was having SUPER engine problems at the time. But AE was good to me and sent me a new engine. Man did that thing howl.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Oasis TR

I have had a MGT and it's not even in the same class as the Savage XL when it comes to Skate Parks or BIG AIR Bashing. On the Shocks you can get the new Savage shocks that are based on the Hellfire shocks (That are pretty good) longer than the Hellfire and they have a 2 stage spring, 3.5 shock shafts..and on the tunenability..it does not have adjustable camber links..why do you need it..your bashing..
Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 PM
CaptEvo

It's now even harder to decide lol
I was leaning toward the Savage XL...
I do appreciate all your honest opinion, but it's still hard for me to pick - this happens Everytime lol
I checked LHS, they do not carry ST-1 parts - yikes, sux.
so if the MGT 8.0 got sucky engine, and i have to shell out new engine upfront - it seem $ upfront is higher than i can bare.
The price on the ST-1 looks good, if Tower start carry st-1 part as part express, it'll be great.
Savage XL $530 starting to look right again lol

is the only problem with 8.0 is engine?
I'm not bad at tuning engine.
how about them shock, diff, plastic part quality (duarable)?
Thanks, again.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:24 PM
SycoCell

The MGT engine is bearable. You just can't be a newbie into RC, that will just make it horrible. If you have had some previous nitro experience, the MGT is the way to go. Tuning it will not be so bad with experience. Took me some time and patient, but if you have questions, go on the team associated website forums. All of us on there are way past all the issues possible and help out with anything.

The shocks work great. Comes with 8 shocks. The diff's and tranny are all metal gears along with the spur gear as well. The quality of the truck is great, built to handle anything.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 PM
CaptEvo

this wasn't on my list but since I can't afford $640 for the LST2 - but how's the aftershock?
Sycocell, that's encouraging... i'll check out AE forums too.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:08 PM
ericem

Check out this video of the MGT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkQn2LbqGGE

I love the MGT, but you know what I miss how the ST-1 jumps, and how it is noticeably faster since it is only around 8lbs!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 07:42 AM
The Hedgehog

Check out the Revo also, I just picked this one up to race monster truck and I love it
Old 07-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Oasis TR

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Check out the Revo also, I just picked this one up to race monster truck and I love it
Do any of you guys remember..JUST BASHING..lol..The Revo is a great Race Truck but very hard to work on..How long does it take you to get to your Diffs? New Savage XL..4 screws and your diffs are out..On the Tranny you dont need to take it out of the truck to pull the gears, take the top cover off the tranny and your their..For bashing the new Savage XL is a lot of fun..from what i have seen the Savage takes a lot of abuse and keeps on going..
Old 07-25-2008, 03:15 PM
SycoCell

Ha...I don't even want to count the hours i put into my revo. Man that was a pain to take apart. Oterwise it was a good truck
Old 07-28-2008, 02:57 PM
CaptEvo

Thank you all. I ordered a Savage XL
Old 07-28-2008, 03:06 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: Oasis TR

Do any of you guys remember..JUST BASHING..lol..
Bashing is boring to me so I race. I almost quit the hobby (rc cars, not other forms of rc though) before I started racing.