Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

duratrax raze st

Old 07-22-2008, 04:38 PM
bigfootbeast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default duratrax raze st

recently purchased the duratrax raze st rtr with the super tiger G-27CS from towerhobbies.com all info here
This is the 1/8 scale glow powered, radio controlled, ready to run
Duratrax Raze Off-Road ST Truggy.

FEATURES: Chassis: 0.12" (3mm) thick aluminum, anodized blue in color with
molded plastic chassis side guards and built-in transponder mount
(transponder not included)
Drive: Four wheel shaft drive
Radio: Duratrax by Futaba FM pistol grip/two servos, micro receiver
with 3rd channel for transponder use, servo reverse, steering
and throttle trims and dual rate, transmitter does not have charge
jack
Radio Box: Sealed
Electric Starter: DuraTrax Kwik-Pit Super Start with 540 size motor
(DTXP6023)
Engine: Supertigre G-27CS .27 cu in (4.4cc) ABC cylinder and liner
construction, Super Start (DTXP6018), glow plug, dual ball bearing
supported crankshaft, slide valve carburetor, 2.5 hp at 30,000 RPM
Exhaust: Aluminum tuned pipe
Engine Mount: Aluminum, adjustable
Fuel Tank: 5.1oz (150cc), flip top cap
Clutch: 3-shoe racing type
Ball Bearings: Full set, 20 total
Shocks: Oil-filled with aluminum bodies, coil-over springs and
multiple shock mounting and camber positions, 0.16" (4mm) thick
shock towers
Main Gear: 62 tooth, hardened steel
Differentials: Three, sealed adjustable with metal internal spider
gears, front and rear diff cases remove easily for maintenance
Brakes: Dual disc with adjustable bias
Tires: 6.1" (155mm) diameter, 3.34" (85mm) wide with foam inserts and
off-road tread
Wheels: White plastic 6.1" (155mm) diameter, 3.34" (85mm) wide, 17mm
hex
Body: Painted with decals applied
Bumpers: Front, hardened plastic
Suspension: Four wheel independent
Caster: Adjustable, caster/toe-in refers to the angle of the front
suspension when viewed from the side of the car in relation to the
chassis, 2° and 3° rear toe-in blocks included
Camber: Adjustable, camber refers to the angle of the tops of the
tires from vertical when viewed from front or behind vehicle
Caster: Adjustable, caster/toe-in refers to the angle of the front
suspension when viewed from the side of the car in relation to the
chassis
Steering: Dual bell crank with servo saver and metal front steering
knuckles, 17mm drive hex is compatible with other 1/8 scale models
Glow Starter: C size
Fuel Bottle: 8.4oz (250cc)
Warranty Period: 90 days on vehicle, 12 months on Stress-Tech plastic
parts (Stress-Tech parts noted in bold type on parts list)

INCLUDES: Duratrax 1/8 Raze ST Truggy with Supertigre G27CS engine w/Super
Start (DTXP6023), glow plug, tires, foam inserts, wheels, FM pistol
grip radio system, two servos, glow starter, fuel bottle,
13 tooth clutch bell, 62 tooth steel spur gear, aluminum bodied
shocks, photo-illustrated instruction manual, instructional DVD

REQUIRES: Radio Batteries: (8) AA size
C-Cell Battery: For glow starter
Engine Starter Battery: 7.2V 6-cell stick battery pack
Battery Charger: Timed or peak for starter battery
Fuel: 2-cycle glow fuel with 20% nitromethane, 16% lubricant-
Most of the fuels we carry meet or exceed the lubricant content
required for optimum performance and maximum engine life. In the
past, the conventional lubricant content used in fuel was 18%. But
with new advanced technologies, fuels like Red Alert and O'Donnell
for example, have a better quality of lubricants even though the
percentages of lubricant content are lower. These high-tech
lubricants provide exceptional cooling and protection.

SPECS: Vehicle-
Length: 20.1" (530mm)
Width: 16.5" (420mm)
Height: 8" (205mm)
Weight: 9lbs (4.1kg)
Wheelbase: 12.5" (317mm)
Tread: 13.25" (336mm) wheels on center side to side
Track: 16" (406mm) wheels at outer edges
Ground Clearance: 1.9" (49mm)
Body-
Length: 18.89" (480mm)
Width: 7.28" (185mm)
Height: 4.52" (115mm)

COMMENTS: The Raze ST Truggy is available in the following body colors and
radio channels;
Green CH 62 DTXD7762
Blue CH 64 DTXD7764
Red CH 68 DTXD7768
Orange CH 70 DTXD7770
Desert CH 72 DTXD7772
Purple CH 74 DTXD7774

For Replacement Ball Bearings use:
Qty. Size Location Qty. Bearing Set
4 8x16mm Front Wheels 2 DTXC1585
4 8x16mm Rear Wheels 2 DTXC1585
4 8x16mm Front Diff 2 DTXC1585
4 8x16mm Center Diff 2 DTXC1585
4 8x16mm Rear Diff 2 DTXC1585
2 5x10mm Clutch 1 DTXC1535

i sent the motor in for possible air leaks they said it was fine put it back in got the mesh right and it wont stay started they didnt touch anything on the motor but i reset everything to almost factory about 1/8 turn off of factory where i had it before replaced clutch bell bearings changed fuel tube and used brand new fuel still wont stay running car has given me nothing but problems since i got it any help will be appreciated
thanks
Old 07-22-2008, 04:52 PM
bigfootbeast

Default RE: duratrax raze st

forgot to add changed tansmitter and reciever put a hump pack in it and changed both servos steering is a jr 9100t throttle servo is a jr sport high torque (extra servo we had laying around) and changed the tires to hpi(?) nubz
Old 07-23-2008, 01:10 AM
Oasis TR

wow..your servos are worth more than the truggy..lol..sorry
Old 07-24-2008, 05:50 PM
sfar785

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd just take everything that's worth anything on that truggy and just buy a new one. We've had a few locals try and race theirs with us but they just failed to make it around a single lap because either something broke or the motor kept dying.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:56 PM
j_blaze

has the motor been broken in? have you tried new plugs? have you tried leaner/richer settings? have you adjusted idle stop screw? have you gotten help from your lhs?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:09 PM
bigfootbeast

thanks for the advice guys its really appreciated took it to the track the other day found the problem idle screw was too rich and the motor its self had a bad bearing got it fixed then the radio started glitching changed that now it runs like a champ thinking of getting a new motor like an os 21 v-spec your opinions on it?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 PM
AquarianGuy78
My Feedback: (2)

Could you enlighten me on what kind of reciever/servo battery this truggy uses? I plan to get one very soon and was wondering if it comes with a rechargeable pack for the receiver.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:52 AM
sfar785

ORIGINAL: bigfootbeast

thanks for the advice guys its really appreciated took it to the track the other day found the problem idle screw was too rich and the motor its self had a bad bearing got it fixed then the radio started glitching changed that now it runs like a champ thinking of getting a new motor like an os 21 v-spec your opinions on it?
yeah, it's like putting a Crate motor into a Ford Pinto, it's overkill for that truggy. I say try the Go Technology or STS line of engines
Old 07-25-2008, 12:08 PM
bigfootbeast

the battery pack it comes with is a stock 4 double a battery pack and recommendation is change your radio immediatly the radio it comes with sucks it will glitch and kiss your motor good buy also change your steering servo to a metal geared high torque unless your using it as a basher
Old 08-03-2008, 09:28 PM
romax

I just bought my raze st last week & really have enjoyed it. I broke it in per manual & video supplied & have had no problem w/ engine , but the steering servo did go bad. Instead of waiting on a new one that will do the same i replaced it with a hitec metal gear ultra torque & now am going to upgrade to NIMH reciever pack. Im new to the sport & the engine is plenty fast for me. I'm sure i will do more upgrades to improve handling.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:03 AM
ItchyBum

HAHAHAHA, sorry to say mate but youv just bought a lemon. They break really easily and are just generally a crap truggy. By the time you buy all the upgraded parts to make it go fast and handle good and stop breaking, you will have spent more than what you paid for it. You should have just bit the bullet in the first place and bought a better qulity one from the start
Old 08-06-2008, 05:09 PM
romax

Ohh, maybe you just got a lemon, OR maybe you are one of those people that thinks if you can't jump a house & not break it's junk. A friend has had one since last year & has had no problems with it. I've beat on mine pretty hard allready & no problems, & by the way my friend has won some a mains against some High dollar trucks. When he tells people it's stock except tires they give him the deer in the headlights look & say I have $1000.00 - $1200.00 in mine & yours is eating mine for lunch.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:14 PM
sfar785

ORIGINAL: romax

Ohh, maybe you just got a lemon, OR maybe you are one of those people that thinks if you can't jump a house & not break it's junk. A friend has had one since last year & has had no problems with it. I've beat on mine pretty hard allready & no problems, & by the way my friend has won some a mains against some High dollar trucks. When he tells people it's stock except tires they give him the deer in the headlights look & say I have $1000.00 - $1200.00 in mine & yours is eating mine for lunch.
i don't think he bought a lemon, i think YOUR buddy got the opposite, one that actually works. We have 3 or 4 locals who HAD a Raze ST and none of them ran right. I agree with Itchybum, you should have just bought something better for a few extra bucks.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:17 PM
romax

i guess 2 of us got good one's , i've now been through 2 gallons of fuel & no problems. Hope i'm not jinxing myself.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:03 AM
ItchyBum

I race a Thunder Tiger ST-1 PRO and they are tough as nails, but over on the ST-1 thread there have been quite a few people who have easily broken parts on their ST-1's that i would pretty much have to run over mine with a truck to break. I reckon that it just proves you can get some good batches and bad batches of anything. It seems like you were lucky and got one from a good batch. It also depends on the workers making them too. If you had some dopey guy in there assembling them who only took the job for the money and didnt really give a crap what he was doing its obviously not going to be as good a truggy as one built by an enthusiastic modeller with an eye for detail and who enjoys doing it.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:34 AM
cobra26

I have two Raze buggies and one Raze ST truggy. Each one of them runs great and no parts have broken except on one buggy when I hit a large cement planter dead-on at full speed. Even then all broken parts were covered under the one-year warranty for the parts I destroyed in the front end.

I have taken the time to properly break in the engines and every one of them runs great, starts immediately, is consistent, and totally reliable. I did convert the buggies to the "Quick Start" system as I find it a painless and effective way to start the engines. The ST came with the Quick Start. I use these for bashing and always have an extra one or two for when my sons stop by, and we have a ball with them.

Would I recommend a Raze for racing? No. However, for bashing I believe they are one of the best RTR nitro products out there, and at the price, they are a bargain. I have other buggies for racing, but for just running around the yard or the BMX track down the road, they are a blast.

I know there is brand snobbery out there, you can see it rear its head in just about all of the threads in this forum, and that's OK. However, I don't believe beating up on the Raze, or Duratrax products in general, is based on emperical data, and that makes it wrong. I don't believe my experiences are unusual. I mean, three Raze products bought over a period of 2 years that are consistently reliable speaks highly of the products to me. If ragging on the Raze is your way of having fun, have at it. For myself, I'll just continue to enjoy both of my Raze buggies and my Raze ST truggy. I would feel confident recommending them to someone new or anyone simply looking to bash with a consistent and reliable product.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:18 PM
SnSHampton
My Feedback: (1)

You will have snobs in every thing.The raze is a fine RC,but like every thing else,if you don't spend $800. bucks on it ,people think its junk.High price does not equal quality.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:38 AM
cobra26

ORIGINAL: SnSHampton

You will have snobs in every thing.The raze is a fine RC,but like every thing else,if you don't spend $800. bucks on it ,people think its junk.High price does not equal quality.

Well said. In fact, you sparked a thought!

Why not a race that is handicapped according to how much was spent? For instance, for every $5.00 more that you spent on your rig than the next guy, you lose 1 second per lap. Regular handicapping rules could be used for a 6, 8, or 10 cars in a race. I like it!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:49 AM
vnmsgt

Even if you get something that is cheap, if you do your regular maintenance and check on it every time you go out it should be fine. I had a Redcat Hurricane one time and to be honest, I never broke a single part on the buggy EVER! Only thing I ever owned I never broke a single part. Does that mean it is better than a MP9? NO but I always checked my screws and made sure everything was good and tight and it was blast.