Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

A New Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:10 PM
CrysisFX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A New Truggy

ok well after my friend saw my rc8t he just had to have a truggy but he doesnt want a rc8t. right now he looking at the jammin X2 and the Hyper ST. he really loves ofna because we both put piccos in our savages and love them.

he wants to know what truggy is the best handling wise. he doesnt mind kits or rollers. and money is not an issue as we will be racing. so what do you guys think are the best. he wanst something pretty durable as far as truggys go and he also wants to know what are the differences between truggys and stadium trucks.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:44 PM
vnmsgt

Default RE: A New Truggy

I would stay away from the Hyper ST unless he wants the PRO version. The RTR has a crappy motor and no CVD's on the driveshafts. The PRO is very nice as I had one and like it. The Jammin X2 I have not seen It looks very nice, especially compared to the old one which I did not care for too much in the looks department. Everyone that has one likes it. Also the Mugen MBX5T which I hear is getting hard to find by some people. Also the Caster Racing K8T which I race and am extremely happy with it. All of these truggies are extremely durable. As far as handling, well that depends on setup of the truck, diffs, shocks, droop etc. A wrong setup can make a truck handle and turn like crap.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:55 PM
CrysisFX

he decided on the jammin but he doest know what engine to get. he wants an ofna engine but he doesnt know if the picco is better or the jammin engine are better
Old 09-25-2008, 09:03 PM
vnmsgt

I would not get either engine. Especially the Picco. I had so much trouble with mine and a friend with is too with leaks and stuff. The Jammin is the same motor with different head. Now I had a bad experience but some people like them and have not problems. "Supertib" on these forums knows alot about the Picco's and what to do to make the scream. Try a GO tech motor .21 or .25 for racing. I use them and like them alot.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:06 PM
CrysisFX

actly we were thinking of having him mod our picco 28's but we havent really decided if its worth our savage 3 speeds exploding. what engine do you suggest? we both have had zero problems with our picco 28's.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 PM
vnmsgt

Well I like the GO .25 for a truggy. My friend has one in his and is very smooth. I currently run a GO .21 7-port in mine and it screams. Some people are now running the GO .21 3-port in there truggies and comparing it to the Vspec! For the price of the GO's they are hard to beat for the performance you get. If you are going to have Supertib mod your motors then they should run perfect and have ungodly power from his vids I have seen I have spoken to him on the phone and he knows his stuff.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:24 PM
CrysisFX

well we looked at the vspec and found the black header ones for nearly 500 bux... is it me or if your gonna spend that much shouldnt you go buy a nova or RB?
Old 09-26-2008, 12:08 AM
J24gordon

I would get the jammin JPX .28 I have 1 in my X2 and it runs real good!
Old 09-26-2008, 12:29 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So many awesome engines !!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:26 AM
spikeitaudi

ORIGINAL: CrysisFX

well we looked at the vspec and found the black header ones for nearly 500 bux... is it me or if your gonna spend that much shouldnt you go buy a nova or RB?
Get the blue head. It is half the price of the black head.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:37 AM
qaiz

For an X2, a good .21 will shoot that thing. 28's are just there for pure insanity .

Jpx .21, VZ B V spec, all good motors...
Old 09-26-2008, 09:40 AM
sjschwarz

I have a .21 V-Spec (blue head), which costs about $299 (can be had for less), in my X2. It works awesome. I haven't had any trouble keeping up with guys at the track. And I probably don't have my engine tuned that well, and I wasn't very careful with the break in process. So I highly recommend the V-Spec.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:19 AM
squeeguk

X2 is nice and light, but doesn't seem to be as strong as the Hyper ST Pro. The Hyper ST Pro on the other hand has the most buggy like steering of all the truggies and is pretty much bullet proof build wise, but quite a bit heavier than the X2.

As for engines, I vote RB everytime. I had an OS V-spec, blue head and it blew the rod and also destroyed the piston and liner in the process around the 2 gallon mark. All my mates have now gone and got RB's on the strength of mine. It starts first time everytime and never have flameouts or anything, holds a tune forever, and with the JP-4 pipe on my WS7 III, I can get 10 minutes no problem. At the start of the last meeting, last weekend, I started from 12th in the A final and by the second corner, I was up to around 5th, just on pure acceleration, oh and not getting tangled up with other cars. But off the line I easily went past 4 cars.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:16 AM
CrysisFX

well he was going to order a jammin x2 today with the RB .28 engine but our hobby store said that they can order it but the dont stock any ofna parts in store since the only trucks they have in store are AE, Losi, HPI, and Traxxas. so he may be getting an RC8T after all. or wait for the 8ight-t 2.0
Old 09-26-2008, 03:57 PM
CrysisFX

ORIGINAL: squeeguk

X2 is nice and light, but doesn't seem to be as strong as the Hyper ST Pro. The Hyper ST Pro on the other hand has the most buggy like steering of all the truggies and is pretty much bullet proof build wise, but quite a bit heavier than the X2.

As for engines, I vote RB everytime. I had an OS V-spec, blue head and it blew the rod and also destroyed the piston and liner in the process around the 2 gallon mark. All my mates have now gone and got RB's on the strength of mine. It starts first time everytime and never have flameouts or anything, holds a tune forever, and with the JP-4 pipe on my WS7 III, I can get 10 minutes no problem. At the start of the last meeting, last weekend, I started from 12th in the A final and by the second corner, I was up to around 5th, just on pure acceleration, oh and not getting tangled up with other cars. But off the line I easily went past 4 cars.
well we talked to the manager of the store today (his cousin) and he told us that around december they plane ot have ofna products in the store do to recent popularity. he brought out some pre buil ofna trucks that they were going to put on the shelves next month and we compared the Hyper ST pro, the Jammin x2, teh RC8T, and the 8IGHT-T. we decided that the hyper st pro was superior in strength so he got one and he ordered a RB 28 engine with a futaba 3pk 2.4gz radio... should be a blast once its together
Old 09-26-2008, 04:14 PM
vnmsgt

The ST PRO is very nice.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:16 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Uh-oh.., here come the haters...
Old 09-26-2008, 04:43 PM
CrysisFX

i love how people say OMG shut up or the fanboys will come and spam you!!!!!. but they never do no offense btw
Old 09-26-2008, 04:48 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Who me?? I am not hating. I had a ST PRO and I liked it. Only gripe I had was the Brakes. That is it.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:50 PM
cobra26

FWIW - I have done a lot of research and as much hands-on "looking" as I've been able to get, and the OFNA (HOBAO?) ST PRO is my choice for my first truggy. I have extensive experience with buggies but the ST PRO will be my first truggy. It definitely strikes me as the best value when balancing cost, features, reliability, and durability. Now, to pick an engine for it, hmmmm.... that could turn out being tougher![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 09-26-2008, 04:51 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Who me?? I am not hating. I had a ST PRO and I liked it. Only gripe I had was the Brakes. That is it.
No no no.. Not you at all.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:57 PM
CrysisFX

ok well the lhs called said they need to back order the RB and it could be a while till its in. so whats a godd runner up? we have a spare picco .28T engine over here. how good are werks racing engines
Old 09-26-2008, 05:40 PM
squeeguk

Good choice on the Hyper ST Pro if I must say so myself. I have done a full season with mine now and only replaced bearings. I have had a newly rebuilt diff go on me twice withing two days, we figured out the diff cup was at fault and haven't had an issue since. 6 of us including my 7 year old run the RTR's and the Pros and the reliability has been superb.

A few recommendations if I may:

1. Get some decent servos, like the ACE DS1015's. With a decent strength servo on the brakes, all is well. Cradocks also help immensely. I had to turn my brakes down to stop it flipping over at the end of the straight.
2. For more steering lock, get some Kyosho steering rod ends, they fit straight on. The standard steering is amazing anyway, best of any truggy.
3. Fit the Losi 8T side guards on, trim them a little and drill 3 new holes on each side, much better protection for the pipe.

Build it up, take i down the track and have some fun, they are strong, solid and handle great out the box. Some on track tweaking and it just keeps getting better. Everytime I go to my local track, I find at least another 1/2 second a lap. Beginning of the season, I was doing low 50's, now I'm running just as fast as the quicker guys who have been racing for years and doing low 41's. I just need to find the consistency, and I know there is at least another second or two in the car easily.

As for engines, run what you have for now and wait for the RB, trust me, it will be worth it. They are power houses and they outlast most other engines easily.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:46 PM
CrysisFX

ok we got things straigntend out with our hobby store. heres what we ordered

Ofna 1/8 Hyper ST Pro Kit w/Spider;
Ofna .28T Factory Team w/Turbo Plug;
Ofna Jammin HC Inline Pipe JP-4 Black;
Futaba 3PM 3-Channel 2.4GHz Transmitter/Receiver Only;
Futaba S9452 Digital High Speed/Torque Servo;
Ofna 1/8 Off-Road Truggy Starter Box Dual 775 Motors;

the engine was basically free because of how much we spent. it will most likely become one of those supertib modded picco scince its basically the same as a P3 picco without the pullstart. the pipe seemed good for what we want out of the truggy.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:25 PM
CrysisFX

lol i know ive changed this about 30 times but the store called again right before they closed and told us that the engine we wanted which was a .21 RB engine was still out of stock but they had another .21 in stock and ready to ship to the store. and it was cheaper.

he originally wanted the Rody Circut .21. i told him it was a waste of money because there were better engines for 700 bux but he was stubborn. so now its the .21 L2G Turbo with pip for 500. seems decent price and i think this engine is going to scream. he gladly changed his order from the picco engine to the RB 21 and hopefully they wont call us anymore and will just order the damn thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.