Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

EZ Start on a Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:35 PM
peefer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EZ Start on a Truggy

hey, has anyone put a Traxxas EZ start in a Truggy? I want to do this for my Pop. He has an SC8 and he needs like three hands to start the darn thing. We are by no means new to RC, I was just wondering if anyone has tried this conversion. Please let me know if you've done it or how you think it can be done. I have some ideas I'd like to throw out there once we get this thread going.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Spiro

Default RE: EZ Start on a Truggy

I have been thinking the same thing. Not on a 1/8 truggy, but on a 1/10 DBX. Also not new to RC, but I agree it sometimes is nice to let people just hit a button and start it up.

Spiro
Old 12-12-2008, 09:26 PM
peefer

This is what I was thinking and actually in the process of trying......

Background:
The Associated SC8 is an unbelievable truck, right out of the box it is a blast to drive and watch fly around the track or bash. My Pop likes to bash more than drive at the track, but it's discouraging for him to fumble around with the roto start, radio, and glow igniter to fire it up; plus the long shaft is harder than heck to line up with the back of the motor. In the meantime, while he tries to start his truck I've already fired my Traxxas REVO with the push of a button in no time at all.

Solution: Traxxas EZ start teamed up with a standard .26-.28 Picco engine mounted in his SC8 ( if this can be done it will work for all 8th scale truggies and some 8th scale buggies).

My materials for implementation:
* .26 or .27 Ofna Picco engine
* pull-start back plate from a .26 Picco Max engine
* pull-start axle from a .26 Picco Max engine
* Traxxas EZ Start from my Revo 3.3

I've actually tried this. I installed the standard .26 Picco (not the .26 Picco Max), back plate& axle off of a .26Picco Max, and EZstart into the SC8 and it actually works, but not without more testing can I recommend trying this. My main concern is the header wrapping around the EZstart- the plastic might not hold up to the heat of the header even though they do not touch. This is why I'm searching around to see if someone else might have done this convesion another way.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 11:30 PM
SC8Derek

Would that setup work on a .28 Picco P3?
Old 12-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Oasis TR

and if your really thinking their is a way to start it remotely..but your radio has to have 3 channels and you need to use a 7.4 lipo..i have seen one done this way..
Old 12-13-2008, 12:28 AM
peefer

That .28 P3 is a great motor! To have an EZStart with it would be the ideal setup for sure! I tried to install the back plate onto the .28 Picco, as I did on the .26 Picco, however the .28's piston hits because there isn't enough clearance cut out of the .26 back plate- I'm guessing this is from the longer stroke of the .28?

So far, I can tell you the EZstart .26 Picco conversion works, but it is not perfect:
* the .26 Picco Max's back plate's diameter is a fraction smaller than the standard .26 Picco back plate. This means I had to use plenty of liquid gasket to ensure a decent seal
* the .26 Picco Max's starter axle needs to be shimmed about a quarter inch on the inside of the back plate to get proper contact with the crank nub. I used 2 glow plug washers.
* the engine block cooling fins need to be shaved down to get clearance for the EZStart motor- A couple seconds on the bench grinder handles this little detail.
* and as I already mentioned, while the header does not contact the EZStarter, I need to do more testing to confirm the header's heat doesn't ruin the EZStarter.

Oasis,
Remote Starter?! Now you're talkin'! I look forward to reading that thread!
Old 12-13-2008, 12:32 PM
bubble27

Picco .26 Red dot is more powerful than the .26 Max

might wanna consider that instead.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:13 PM
SC8Derek

Mine is an AB MODS Drag Modded .28 Picco, I'm not skeert of a .26 Red Dot, And Quit Deleting my Posts I didn't say anything derogatory or confrontational so Quit!!
Old 12-16-2008, 02:55 PM
JAMMINKRAZY

You could try Ofna's EZ start setup. I believe it is called ofna electric start. It comes on some of thir beginner buggies and I believe there is a new mutilator with it. The motor for it is on the opposite side as the traxxas one so you wouldnt have to worry about the pipe being close to the motor.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:37 PM
peefer

JAMMINKRAZY ,

I knew OFNA had an ez start for their smaller motors, but after reading your post I searched again, and to my surprise.... there it was- the "[link=http://www.nitrohouse.com/images/autostart.gif]"Ofna Auto Start"[/link] for .21 to .26 motors.I'm going to order it and see if I can mount it to a .28 Picco. I think it's made for the .26 Force motor, but I'm sure there's a way to get it onto the Picco. I'll post some vids and a pic when I get it working.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:30 PM
RCCanuck

If he just changes the way he starts it he will have no problem at all.....
With truck on ground and facing something to keep it in place: Blow into exhaust pressure line to move fuel into the carb. Turn on Transmitter and truck power. Turn up the throttle trim on the transmitter to increase the idle a bit. Set the radio down. Insert starting shaft. Attach glow ignitor to plug. push the button. Leave the ignitor on for a bit to decrease the chance of cold stalling. This can all be done with 1 hand LOL.

Just seems like changing over to the EZ start is more effort and money than just learning a new way of doing things. Not too mention the added weight of carrying around the EZ start motor and starting mechanism and having to modify both pieces to make it fit and work.