Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Beginner Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:14 PM
bishop808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Truggy

Looking to get my first truggy what is good for a beginner, I was looking at the raze st and the exceed battalion any other options. Looking to spend about 400.00. might get into racing but right now it will be used to bash.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:36 PM
bhcvc

Default RE: Beginner Truggy

Most will recommend getting a used high end roller chassis on ebay. If you don't want to build it and want to run it ASAP, then RTRs is what you'd probably want. There's a thread about the Exceed Battalion for raceing and it seems the general consensus is if you really plan to race (pro or even club level), the Exceed isn't the best choice. It's a good beginners truggy and fine for bashing, but people say it needs a lot of work to get it competitive even at the club level. I've never driven one, so I have no idea how true that is and I don't even know what makes the difference between a good RTR vs. a race-level truggy aside from some parts (bulkheads, suspension arms, etc.) being sturdier and made of either aluminum or CF.

For the price, I personally think the DTX Raze ST is a great truggy. The tires are quite large (bigger than other truggies), great for bashing, but not as good for racing, but until you get really good, I don't think you'd notice much. Plus you can always get smaller tires (and lighter wheels) if you really plan to club race (which every racer does anyways, regardless of what came with the truggy, even the high end ones). At Tower, with discounts its pretty cheap...about $280-290.

Another low cost RTR you could look into is the Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium Sport. On ebay, they go for $280 new!...that's cheap.

And my truggy, Thunder Tiger ST-1, $300 from A-Main minus $25 discount. Great truggy, but a bit smaller than other truggies.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:52 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest maybe rethinking your strategy... If you're gonna get a truggy and possibly race at some point, you're gonna want a truggy that you'll be happy with in a race. In other words, why spend 400 bucks now for something average, when later you may end up realizing you should've just gotten something good to start with. I'm not saying you've got to start out with a pro level kit with Italian engine, expensive servos, and all the rest. Just something that will be a good platform for racing later. The new Associated RC8T RTR would be a neat option - or a Losi 8T RTR maybe. Or, as mentioned, a good used pro level kit from somebody very trustworthy...

Basically, that's the trick to RC, isn't it? Sometimes you gotta spend more now to not have to spend more later... I was skeptical about truggies at first, got a Muggy to try it out, then decided to get something a bit more raceworthy but still tough and bashable, and got a Hyper ST Pro, and then decided I wanted a top race level trug, so sold the Muggy and Hyper and got an RC8T. It's been an expensive road...

Value for money your best bet is prob a good top-end used trug.. Just need to really research it and be careful about who you buy from..
Old 12-13-2008, 05:02 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I would suggest maybe rethinking your strategy... If you're gonna get a truggy and possibly race at some point, you're gonna want a truggy that you'll be happy with in a race. In other words, why spend 400 bucks now for something average, when later you may end up realizing you should've just gotten something good to start with. I'm not saying you've got to start out with a pro level kit with Italian engine, expensive servos, and all the rest. Just something that will be a good platform for racing later. The new Associated RC8T RTR would be a neat option - or a Losi 8T RTR maybe. Or, as mentioned, a good used pro level kit from somebody very trustworthy...

Basically, that's the trick to RC, isn't it? Sometimes you gotta spend more now to not have to spend more later... I was skeptical about truggies at first, got a Muggy to try it out, then decided to get something a bit more raceworthy but still tough and bashable, and got a Hyper ST Pro, and then decided I wanted a top race level trug, so sold the Muggy and Hyper and got an RC8T. It's been an expensive road...

Value for money your best bet is prob a good top-end used trug.. Just need to really research it and be careful about who you buy from..

I agree 100 % ....right now there are plenty of good used Pro level truggies for sale...my personal recommendation is a Mugen MBX5T...another bonus of used is they usually come with plenty of spare parts...
Old 12-13-2008, 06:15 PM
rcak

My 2 cents- same as above- in my experience a cheaper RTRs can turn into a bit of a money pit- lots of things need upgraded. Can add unplanned expense and be frustrating. Iwould go for higher end used. theres alot of good deals out there. Look for a good seller- ask lots of questions.Make sure you plan for tools- starting equip- manual- temp gun- rechargable batterys w/ charger. You may want to see if there is a more popular one with others in your area making parts and support easy. Good Luck and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:14 PM
vnmsgt

If you are looking to spend $400 or less, take a look at the Caster Racing K8T RTR. They are on sale now for $365. Made really well with all CNC machined aluminum including the shock towers which are 4mm thick unlike most RTR's. Needs very little to go and race, mainly racing tires, and like every other RTR, servos and radio. There is a thread here on RCU for this truggy and more info at casterracingusa.com and here [link]http://holeshothobbies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=4[/link].
A local guy took one of these to the Amain at a big series race 2 weeks ago with just a change in tires and servo's! Yes it was the RTR too.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:42 PM
chris960

I think you should take that $400 and go to e-bay search " truggy" take your time and look for deals and be patient . I was watching a mugen mbx5t today in great shape went for $107 + $16 to ship. I would have bid on it But i just won a kyosho st-r excellent shape with 2bodies 1 new, 1set 4 tires&rims of proline bowties,2 sets 8 tires & rims proline holeshots, Ofna starterbox, and clutch assembly. All of this if bought new would have been close to $1000 all I was paid $170. I was at the big fall Race this past weekend at the Badlands track in Myrtle Beach SC. Just watching and i got hooked.The racing was awesome!! And i did not see 1 of those cheap rtr's. What i'm getting at is you can buy a used race quality roller then buy a engine & radio and have something you can race if you decide to for around the same $$. P.S. the resell on the higher end truggy's is better than the cheap RTR's. if you decide racing is not for you.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:59 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: chris960

I think you should take that $400 and go to e-bay search " truggy" take your time and look for deals and be patient . I was watching a mugen mbx5t today in great shape went for $107 + $16 to ship. I would have bid on it But i just won a kyosho st-r excellent shape with 2bodies 1 new, 1set 4 tires&rims of proline bowties,2 sets 8 tires & rims proline holeshots, Ofna starterbox, and clutch assembly. All of this if bought new would have been close to $1000 all I was paid $170. I was at the big fall Race this past weekend at the Badlands track in Myrtle Beach SC. Just watching and i got hooked.The racing was awesome!! And i did not see 1 of those cheap rtr's. What i'm getting at is you can buy a used race quality roller then buy a engine & radio and have something you can race if you decide to for around the same $$. P.S. the resell on the higher end truggy's is better than the cheap RTR's. if you decide racing is not for you.
The resell is higher?? But you saw a MBX5T go for $107 and paid $170 for a ST-R. Sort of contradicting yourself there. Alot of RTR's race. You just do not notice them because they are very close to the kits when they are flying past you at over 30mph and none of them have the RTR tires on them, and none have the RTR bodies on them, there fore they just look like any other truck out there. I know a TON of people who race RTR's like the Hyper ST, Losi 8T, Jammin X1CRT, Caster K8T, and CEN Matrix TR. Plus most will agree that buying used you do not now what you are going to get. Yes the pics may look nice but DIFFS are expensive and hidden and you cannot check them on the computer screen. You have to take peoples word for it. Sometimes you come out lucky, sometimes you don't
Old 12-13-2008, 11:11 PM
dominicevans

how did buying used work out for you? did u receive your st-r as yet?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:20 AM
chris960

Vnmsgt the RTR's go for even less and you have to be patient to win the race Quality truggy's for the price i paid. I have bought several rc cars off e-bay and all have been in good shape. I will let you know how good the ST-R is when it get's here. Vnmsgt the caster K8t RTR is one of the best Bang for the buck out there.If i was to go RTR that was the one i was going to get.Now lets talk about part's If your running what other racer's are and you break a part on the track you might be able to buy or borrow that part. And the big name company's parts are easy to find for years. Some of the RTR are here today gone tomorow. VNMSGT I was in the pits watching observing what everyone was running and did not see any RTR'S but i am not saying you can not win with a rtr. Because some of the pro drivers out there i no could they are just that good. But because they are that good you will never see them race a RTR at a big race.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:09 AM
vnmsgt

Vnmsgt the RTR's go for even less and you have to be patient to win the race Quality truggy's for the price i paid. I have bought several rc cars off e-bay and all have been in good shape. I will let you know how good the ST-R is when it get's here. Vnmsgt the caster K8t RTR is one of the best Bang for the buck out there.If i was to go RTR that was the one i was going to get.Now lets talk about part's If your running what other racer's are and you break a part on the track you might be able to buy or borrow that part. And the big name company's parts are easy to find for years. Some of the RTR are here today gone tomorow. VNMSGT I was in the pits watching observing what everyone was running and did not see any RTR'S but i am not saying you can not win with a rtr. Because some of the pro drivers out there i no could they are just that good. But because they are that good you will never see them race a RTR at a big race.
I totally agree with you. But part of being a racer is having some parts with you in case you break. There are alot of other parts that fit other brands, you just have to do some research. But it's fun having what not alot of others have.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:49 AM
bishop808

Thanks for the info guys I think im going to go with the caster, everyone here mostly runs Losi and I want to run something different.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:38 AM
Oasis TR

I think that the Caster is the way to go..chris960..their is a reason on why Kyosho came out with the ST-RR so quick..the ST-R doesn't work that well on American style tracks, and their were a lot of guys that had diff problems..make sure you shim them correctly and you'll be fine.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:37 AM
bishop808

Ordered my K8T from Hole Shot Hobbies, cant wait to get it Chris from Hole Shot Hobbies is an awesome guy to deal with a true professional.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Matt (12 year old rc fanatic)

Thunder Tiger ST-1 for $300 at aminhobbies.com
It's a great truggy for the price.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/17281
Old 12-24-2008, 01:22 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im guilty as charged, buying cheaper the first time, and needing enough in upgrades that i should have bought higher quality to begin with. Im not a losi fanatic, but for 576.00 8t rtr thats a good deal. You get a great radio system, a decent engine, and its pretty close to kit quality. You can race at the club level and be competitive, could upgrades help? Yes but this would be a good starting platform. Im wondering about the associated rtr truggy, it sounds good. It makes a lot of sense to run a simalar platform as what is being run at your track. Parts availability is good which helps alot or you can bum a part, like one guy said.

Having something different is cool, I totally understand where people are coming from with this perspective, and it may be a way competitive machine, but it goes down, hi ho hi ho its off to mail order I go.

Like I said I have bought cheaper and regret it, not because they were bad truggies, but rather parts availability etc. Example: my gs storm truggy, yeah I really like it but finding parts is a real pain in the rear, Amain and horizion are the 2 main parts distributers, so getting parts can be difficult.

So if you can check out what is mainly run at the local track, and go from there.

good luck and happy holidays
Old 12-29-2008, 12:19 AM
hakmazter

There should be no problems getting Caster parts...ever.

However, the thing you failed to mention that I noticed is that a lot of hobby shops don't have everything in stock and they order from horizon or tower just like you mentioned, so is it more convenient to order yourself or drive to the lhs and have them order for you?

I try to support my lhs as much as possible, but in the past, I had to watch them order stuff for me also. I obviously want ALL hobby stores to carry Caster, but it does take a small fortune to carry 2 or 3 of everything when you carry 5 different brands.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:57 AM
bishop808

My lhs never has anything in stock for my RC's even though I bought most of them from there. The only things I buy from them is plugs and fuel. I just got tired of going in and and having them check if they got the parts in stock, its much easier for me to order online.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 PM
chris960

Bishop808 have you run your caster k8t yet how do you like it? "UPDATE" dominicevans the Kyosho ST-R i got off of e-bay is in great shape runs great! I installed a bump start axial .28 engine,053 pipe,Futaba radio,and hs,ht servos. I soon will be converting it to a st-rr as i won a used st-rr chassis plate with front and rear kyosho braces and both plastic rock guards. Off of you guesed it e-bay for $1.25 cent what a deal. Now I need some kyosho big bore shocks,rear center extended drive shaft, extended wing mount. It already had the cnc steering nuckles. And i should have a st-rr. Also Oasis TR the diff's are holding up fine.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:19 PM
bishop808

Havent gotten it yet but I will update once I get it, shipping to Hawaii takes a while.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:27 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: bishop808

Havent gotten it yet but I will update once I get it, shipping to Hawaii takes a while.
Holiday shipping sucks. You got my PM with the delivery confirmation number right? You should get it hopefully within the next couple days, oh wait, there is new years too.[:@] I have been waiting on a couple orders too[]
Old 12-30-2008, 12:38 AM
bishop808

Yeagh I got the PM, and holiday shipping does suck. I ordered some things from Tower Hobbies on the 3rd of this month and I just got it this saturday.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:12 PM
chris960

Well bishop808 keep us posted ! Since shipping to hawaii sucks you might want to stock up on parts. But at least you can run/race year round. The high for wednesday here is 50.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:46 AM
vedardo

mugen mbx5t
Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 PM
bishop808

So the K8T has arrived I am extremely impressed with the build quality it has. Gonna start the break in process today, I will update on how it goes. By the way what brand engine is this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.