Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

gonna buy a engine tonight need help!!

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

gonna buy a engine tonight need help!!

Old 12-22-2008, 04:27 PM
marlcidlosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gonna buy a engine tonight need help!!

Ya I am getting a engine tonight via Christmas gift!!!!! Gonna stuff it in my new losi 8 truggy!!! Need help on LRP Z28,, or the Axial 28. RR both same price range just need info..... thanks
Old 12-22-2008, 04:32 PM
unluckylonestar

Default RE: gonna buy a engine tonight need help!!

are you going to be racing it or bashing cause there is no need for a .28 a .21 is plenty
Old 12-22-2008, 04:42 PM
phattracker
My Feedback: (1)

both are gas hogs. I'd get a .21 for bashing or racing.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Matt (12 year old rc fanatic)

Picco!!!
Old 12-22-2008, 05:57 PM
marlcidlosi

mostly just for fun I am working on racing but in the distant future,,, just need a motor to practice at a local track and get used to the truck,,,later I will get a big boy engine,,, also like the axial base engine is it that different than the 28RR???
Old 12-22-2008, 06:08 PM
K_B

Just pick one. Both will get the job done. If you ask for everyone's opinion, this is what always happens: They recommend something completely different than what you asked about. You sound like you're preferential to the Axial, so get that one.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Sugafree

The LRP will Kill the Axial....
Old 12-22-2008, 07:17 PM
vnmsgt

The Axial .28RR is not a bad motor. I had 2 of them and like them alot. Made my truggy I had at the time really easy to drive. Power was not like a lightswitch, it was very controllable. If that is sounds like something you want I would go with that. The LRP is more of a Race motor IMO but also will have alot more bottom end. At one time the LRP was being compared to the Picco P3 .28 which is a beast on the bottom and I did not like all that punch and is a lightswitch. If you are just having fun now and going to practice and get used to driving on a track I would go with the Axial .28RR. The Base Axial .28 is great too but for the money I would go RR.

If you get the Axial you have to make sure of one thing. Keep an eye on your midrange needle. They like to work there way loose and fall out after awhile. Easiest thing to do is check where it is set at and removed it and put shoe goo on it and put it back in. Then you will be fine.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:07 PM
mabuecker
My Feedback: (8)

lrp
Old 12-22-2008, 09:08 PM
TRIPPLE A STRONG
Banned

i run the 28 rr its not a bad engine its a good practice engine and its got good power for the track get the bump start and turbo button and it will all good
Old 12-23-2008, 01:42 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had both. The Axial RR was a total PIA for the first gallon and a half, but then became really nice for the next 4-5 gallons in my Savage. Early on I had it in my Muggy and it just didn't cut it(to be fair I was running a Savage pipe and header - on the wrong side, and maybe this killed it. It ripped in my 3-speed Savage though..) I then got an LRP with JP-2 pipe for the Muggy, and this has been my all-time favorite engine/pipe combo.

So I would get the LRP Spec 3 truggy version - not only based on my experience either. But LOTS of people rave about the LRP in all kinds of trucks... It's probably the most popular 28, and not without reason IMO..
Old 12-23-2008, 10:46 AM
INTEGRA

[:'(] Axial.....for the price you could do better imo.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:25 AM
vnmsgt

Wouldn't be better for him to get a motor that is easier to control since he wants to learn how to drive on a track and race? Just my opinion. I know there are better motors out there but getting a motor that would be crazy powerful for someone who is starting out I think would be bad. Yes if you are just bashing in fields it does not really make a difference then, but on a track where you have to learn to stay between 2 pipes I think would make it harder with a much more powerful motor to start.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:32 AM
HerrSavage

LRP Spec 3 is perfect IMHO - reliable, plenty of power - can tame it down with the carb inserts, dead easy to break in and tune, and cheap.

Main disadvantage is that it's a fuel hog.

But given equal prices it's no contest - LRP any day.

Especially for anybody who doesn't plan on serious competitive racing and just wants a reliable, not too expensive, and powerful engine, the LRP is pretty much perfect..
Old 12-23-2008, 09:07 PM
cover puller
Banned

you dont like the axial rr thats waht you talked about in the thread axial or lrp check the engine forum you talked about you wouldent buy one just the spec 1 you and super tib argued about it he liked the axial rr
Old 12-23-2008, 10:22 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: cover puller

you dont like the axial rr thats waht you talked about in the thread axial or lrp check the engine forum you talked about you wouldent buy one just the spec 1 you and super tib argued about it he liked the axial rr

supertib would never claim he liked the axial over anything....they are Junk and we know it.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:27 PM
IL2mSturmovik

LRP > Axial anyday any engine
Old 12-24-2008, 02:28 AM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: cover puller

Not sure what you're trying to say really.. I definitely hated my Axial for the first gallon and a half - when I was running it in a Hot Bodies Lightning GT and then a Muggy. It got MUCH better when I switched out the Savage pipe and header and put in a JP-2 with an OS A5 plug. BUT, it was slow - kind of boring to drive. So I got an LRP* for the Muggy, and switched the Axial over to the Savage. The Axial then just started behaving, like a night and day switch, and the Savage with 3-speed was well fast and a blast to drive. Go figure.. And with the LRP the Muggy suddenly turned into this fire-breathing beast in comparison to the Axial...

That's my experience anyway..

* Several things have changed in the last couple of years. For one, prices in the German RC market for all kinds of things have completely changed.. For the first year and a half that it was out, the LRP Spec 3 was costing like €200-220 here, period, and it was VERY hard to find one for cheaper. Same with Savages and Savage parts(LRP is the HPI distributor here..) And seeing they were like $170 at tower, WITH a strong exchange rate in my favor, I went ahead and got one - for about €135 instead of the €200+ local cost.. So slowly I got into the swing of ordering from the US, which was just strange at first - and often took like a month to get here cuz freakin' Customs would snag it and then demand %20 more.. But even then, was still a lot cheaper than here... So it's taken a couple years to learn the ropes about where and how to order from the States - and yeah, takes a bit more patience than I had back then too.. But now, LRP's are going for about €150 here, which is a fair price I would say. Axials are like €190. I would definitely buy an LRP at €150, but would pay max €120 for the RR. The LRP is way more powerful - and a lot easier to live with too... I don't really like to badmouth engines, cuz I know the variety of preferences, priorities, and experiences out there is ssssooooo huge, but based on everything I've seen, the LRP is easily the better buy over the Axial, and even more so given equal prices. Just my $.02 - no offense to Axial drivers.

ps I guess just for fun I would say the Hot Bodies/Force 26 was indeed a total POS...