Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Hyper ST Pro

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:58 AM
jato/revo nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyper ST Pro

I'm Going to purchase a Hyper ST Pro. I plan on going with the Jammin JPX-.28, but I'm not sure what servos to go with. What do you guys recommend on servos and is the JPX-.28 a good choice. This is my first "KIT", and I'm very excited about building it from ground up. I have a Traxxas REVO3.3, Traxxas JATO, Sportwerks Turmoil, Losi AFTERSHOCK (converted to LST2), and my Wife has an Ofna RAVAGER. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:12 AM
losi101

Default RE: Hyper ST Pro

As for the servo's I would go with the ACE 1015's for throttle and steering. I've had the JR and Hitecs but the ACE is my choice now. Just as fast, Plenty strong and smooth as butter, but most importantly the price is right. I don't know about the JPX. I never had one.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Oasis TR

Why on earth would you want to buy a Hyper..oh well people bought Yugo's also..and you'll need that JPX .28 to push that tank around..
Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 PM
j_blaze

yup, its a good looking and handling truck but its a pound heavier than most truggies. the price is right tho.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:37 PM
jaywax

Dude, I ran the Hyper ST Pro and did fine. The JPX .28 is a fine choice. You can also run a .21 in your truggy. I ran a Go tech 21 5-port with no problem. The truggy is tough as nails and turns on a dime. Yes, it is heavier than some of the other vehicles, but I'm pretty sure that you are not going to be racing Drake or Mayfield any time soon. Build your truck and have fun.

I would recommend the hitec 7955 or hobbico cs-170 servos that have at least 330oz of torque and all metal gears for steering. You can find the hitec on amainhobbies and the hobbico on towerhobbies. The hobbico is the exact servo for $30 less. I hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:06 PM
squeeguk

The Hyper ST may be lardy, but it doesn't need to stand down for any oher truggy out there. It's more robust than the others, hence the weight, and still has the best steering of any of them. A few mods, like I have done on mine and it's down to Jammin X2 weight now.

You won't regret getting on them. As for needing a 28, that is not true at all. I run a RB WS7 III in mine with a JP-4 and at the last meet I used it at before Winter, I pulled about 5 cars off the line into the first corner including an X2 and a RC8T with a 28 in!!!!!!!!

The only reason I use a bigger engine in the Winter is to save my RB for the Summer and due to the extra weight of the mud that accumulates on these things with the UK being so darned wet.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:49 PM
losi101

I almost got a hyper. i drove a guys at the track. it had a go .21 5 port and it didn't have any trouble pushing that truck. the truck had potential but his set up was all wrong.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 PM
adam-69

Ace ds1015 servos are outstanding!

now as for all this hyper's need 28's rubbish!

I raced mine with a go tech 21. 7port in it!

and it did not have a problem shifting that thing!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Oasis TR

ORIGINAL: jaywax

Dude, I ran the Hyper ST Pro and did fine. The JPX .28 is a fine choice. You can also run a .21 in your truggy. I ran a Go tech 21 5-port with no problem. The truggy is tough as nails and turns on a dime. Yes, it is heavier than some of the other vehicles, but I'm pretty sure that you are not going to be racing Drake or Mayfield any time soon. Build your truck and have fun.

I would recommend the hitec 7955 or hobbico cs-170 servos that have at least 330oz of torque and all metal gears for steering. You can find the hitec on amainhobbies and the hobbico on towerhobbies. The hobbico is the exact servo for $30 less. I hope this helps.
But I do race with those guys..I "tried" to race a Hyper..just not fast enough..no corner speed..jumps like a tank..the list just goes on and on..
Old 01-14-2009, 11:11 PM
jaywax

ORIGINAL: Oasis TR

But I do race with those guys..I "tried" to race a Hyper..just not fast enough..no corner speed..jumps like a tank..the list just goes on and on..
Look back through Neo-buggy.net. Drake placed second behind a Hyper ST Pro in one of his overseas races. Maybe you need to take driving lessons from that guy who beat Drake.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Oasis TR

maybe YOU need to take a look..Here in the US we race on a different type of track than what the Europeans race on..pull up some American tracks that the Hyper has done well at..bigger races not some podunk local track..come on out to Ca. and see how well you do with your hyper..
Old 01-14-2009, 11:51 PM
jaywax

maybe YOU need to take a look..Here in the US we race on a different type of track than what the Europeans race on..pull up some American tracks that the Hyper has done well at..bigger races not some podunk local track..come on out to Ca. and see how well you do with your hyper..
I was just letting you know that other vehicles can win big races. Hobao is not big here in the U.S., but that does not mean it is not capable. You should have kept your negative comments to yourself. The guy was excited about his new vehicle. You did not have to shoot it down. I guess you are a big shot racer in Cali. If you are such a big time racer, why are you using a intermediate radio? Your profiles says DX3R. That is not a pro-level radio. Drake or the other top guys are not using it. I'm sure the DX3R is a great radio, but it is not marketed as a high end. See how that feels. My point is that you should not judge others equipment.

p.s.
Only used DX3R as example to counteract his arrogant comment. The DX3R is a great radio. I know many people who use it.

I'M OUT.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:23 PM
spikeitaudi

Oasis you don't need to pound the Hyper ST pro so much. We all know you dislike it for racing in the US Type tracks. But putting somebody down because he wants to get one isn't the nicest thing to do. Is it heavy, yes. Is it a bad truggy for the Money, my opinion is no. But then again that is my opinion. But again, don't diss the guy just because he wants to get one and is EXCITED in getting it.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:08 PM
losi101

I really don't understand why anyone bashing the truck. I for one liked it when I test drove one. Build quality looked ok and it handled reasonably well.

I say it's a middle of the road truggy. It's can handle bashing and racing and just about every hobby shop carries ofna parts. You really can't go wrong with buying one.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Oasis TR

maybe YOU need to take a look..Here in the US we race on a different type of track than what the Europeans race on..pull up some American tracks that the Hyper has done well at..bigger races not some Podunk local track..come on out to Ca. and see how well you do with your hyper..
I was just letting you know that other vehicles can win big races. Hobao is not big here in the U.S., but that does not mean it is not capable. You should have kept your negative comments to yourself. The guy was excited about his new vehicle. You did not have to shoot it down. I guess you are a big shot racer in Cali. If you are such a big time racer, why are you using a intermediate radio? Your profiles says DX3R. That is not a pro-level radio. Drake or the other top guys are not using it. I'm sure the DX3R is a great radio, but it is not marketed as a high end. See how that feels. My point is that you should not judge others equipment.

p.s.
Only used DX3R as example to counteract his arrogant comment. The DX3R is a great radio. I know many people who use it.

I'M OUT.
Really..A DX3R is not what I would call a "low end" radio and IT IS considered a high end radio by Spektrum and THEY do market it as a high end Radio..It's over $300, I would put it on par with my 3PK or Helios or M-11 (that i got rid of). One of the "things" that I like about the Radio is the light weight..It does make a difference in 45 + minute races, And yes I am a bit "harsh" on the Hyper..but at least I owned one..and Jammin/Ofna is Hobao..so it is basically big here in the states..I also never said that I was a "big time racer" all i said was that I race at tracks with those guys and when your truggy is a consistent 2 seconds a lap slower than the "newer" truggies out..when I switched to a Kyosho ST-RR I picked up 3 seconds a lap..that's huge..that's 3 laps in a 30 minute race..and jato/revo nut I apologize to you for making any derogatory remarks about your choice of truggy..and the JPX .28 is insanely fast..
Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 PM
vnmsgt

oooohhhhh. Oasis got chewed in here! lol. I think you will like the truggy. Unless you are some big huge Pro 100% driver fast then I think it is just fine. I had one and enjoyed it. Just the brakes I did not like. Was a very smooth truggy in the rough stuff and like others have said I think it was the best turning truggy right out of the box (no mods) I have ever had.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:53 PM
jaywax

I was actually surprised by your comments. You normally give informative advise and never really got into the cyber arguing thing. I was more disappointed because the guy was excited about his new vehicle and you dumped on him. I'm not into the internet beefing. Especially when it involves high priced "toys". It's all good now.

p.s.
I actually pre-ordered a DX3R, but cancelled when I realized that it did not have a backlight.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:51 AM
Oasis TR

yea..posting after a "few beers" is not a wise thing to do..[X(]..I have been a bit harsh on the Hyper..but out here where I race most of the track owners seem to want to drum up business for the hobby shops..as in stupidly HUGE jumps and then add 0 track maintenance (blown out tracks) and my Hyper did struggle at these types of tracks..If you notice "most" of the new truggies are very similar in layout..really forward on the motor in order to increase steering..now the problem seems to be no weight at the rear of the truggy..so now you have a lack of traction at the rear on tracks that are slick..I think that Associated has come the closest to getting the balance right..and on the DX3R no back light was not really a big problem for me..but getting use to the throttle and the overall feel was a "challenge" for me..I was using a Helios with the Drop Down Wheel..it at least for me has to be the most comfortable radio ever..but I am starting to really like the DX3R..back to the Hyper..On big blown out tracks the suspension geometry is wrong, in a 45 + minute race the shocks over heat..at the start of the race the handling was acceptable but by the end of the race it was like a pogo stick..the shock oil was like water..a buddy of mine did make his Hype work but it was basically not a Hyper anymore..He had a BCE chassis for it (he does drive for them) he was using Jammin CRT A arms on it, carbon fiber shock towers (with CRT geometry..shock angles) all the aluminum parts were milled, drilled and lightened..(my buddy owns a hot rod/custom shop)..He has won a few big races with his "sorta" Hyper (really more of a CRT X2)but as you guys said..It's all good..
Old 01-16-2009, 03:28 AM
jato/revo nut

Wow! I didn't mean to stir the coals in the fire and get this thread all heated up. My wife really loves bashing her Ravager. It took me for ever to get the brakes where she felt comfortable with it. Anyway, all of our r/c's are RTR, even our 3 sons electric r/c's are RTR. I really don't have time to race. I have a track built at my wife's Mom's house. Thats a story book its self. Her Mom love's sitting there watching us bash around and run on our track, She's a trip! I wanted a "KIT" because I know they come with better quality parts, better balanced than the RTR, and I get to put it together. The Hyper ST Pro came to mind because I know the Hyer series buggies are pretty good, why wouldn't the truggy be good? And the price at NITROHOUSE is $349. Not bad price. I run a DX3.0 And wife and boys run DX2.0. I want to upgrade my Radio too, I was thinking of Airtronics M11 with Spektrum moduel. We are getting back a FAT tax return and my Wife knows I want a Truggy, and she said "GO FOT IT. Get what you want. I know I can spend $2000 easy but i really dont want to. I dont bash to bad,,,, Yeah right! I do push the limit at times. You rally cant trust most LHS, they want the sale regardless. Thats why I came here. (more input on forums) Is the LOSI 8ight T a good basher? NITROHOUSE has them for $329. I want to bash and want decent speed. and something That i dont have to worry about too much. I know everything isn't bullet proof but I want a truggy that take a little beating once in a while.

Which Radio, servos, and Truggy? I'm Getting The JAMMIN' JPX .28 No matter what.
Thanks,
Jamie Lakeland FL
Old 01-16-2009, 07:51 AM
spikeitaudi

Jatao/Revo Nut,

Get what you want to get. If you are bashing and occasionally racing the Hyper ST Pro with the Jammin' JPX .28 will be more than fine. The Losi 8ight T is also a good truggy at that price. Can't go wrong with either for the price. I would get what you want as you don't want to say I should of gotten X instead of Y. As for radios if you are bashing the Dx.30 is perfect. It's even good for racing as well. Servo's. You have plenty of choices. For steering get something that has more then 200 oz. I run the JRz90001t and it more than enough for my needs.

Again good luck with your purchase and have fun. There are so many choices out there now that the consumer is in a good position as many of them are of decent quality.

Oasis, all good man.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Oasis TR

From what I have seen the Losi is a tough Truggy..my biggest "thing" on the Losi is really pay attention to your end point adjustments and set your radio tray up per the instructions..servos and radios are a personal preference..I use and like JR servos..I dont care much for hitec servos..personal choice and not a slam..both are good..on the Radios I have pretty much had most of the "good ones"..Futaba 3PK, KO Helios, Airtronics M-11, M-8..the Airtronics I dont like..my thumb hits the bottom part of the screen and it really bugs me..I also like the Spektrum DX3R..The new DX3S looked really cool with all the telemetry stuff..It comes with a temp sensor that gives you the motor temp on the screen and you can set an alarm so when it hits a certain temp it goes off..same with receiver pack voltage..cool stuff..but it's still does not have a back light..On the Servos pretty much everyone's top of the line servos are good and I've heard horror stores about all of them..lol..go for the numbers..Steering..Minumim 200oz..(the ace servos are waay under rated on the torque) throttle servos..150 on the torque and .13 or lower on the speed..you can get away with less..but these are the numbers that i would run.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:07 AM
squeeguk

I bought a DX3R after I tried my mates one on his Hyper ST. What a difference. That DSM2 tech definitely makes a difference.

Also, when you racing, you don't have time to look down at the screen to see the telemetry anyway. My choice would be DX3S fro bashing, etc. and DX3R for racing.

As for servos, Oasis got it just about right. You can't go wrong with the ACE DS1015 servos, or the equivalent Associated. Myself and my 4 team mates run them in our Hyper's and have had no issues all of last season and through this Winter so far.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:59 AM
INTEGRA

i think i need to take some pics of some Mangled ace gears...more so to prove a point....Ill take Titanium over Brass ANY DAY of the week.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:33 PM
DanBP

I had an opportunity to see the truggy, is really nice, sits kind of high. The owner said that he needed the best servo for steering, 333 oz and titanium gears. He said he disliked the turn ration and somewhat the handling of it, but he still has it. I liked it, but again I like anything that needs to be worked on and will get grease and oil on your hands.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:31 AM
DWkyosho

The Hyper ST Pro or RTR is a good truggy...
How may people ever raced against the mentioned PROS anyways... Most people don't pretend to be Pro level drivers and just participate in club racing. If you have a good time racing the truggy it's worth the investment.
Cheers.