Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Help me get back into the sport

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Help me get back into the sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:47 PM
RZRRIDER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me get back into the sport

Well I have been out of RC for about a year now and am wanting to get back in. I have owned alot of rc's over the last couple years. ( Revo 2.5 and 3.3, TNX, T maxx, Rustler, Mammoth ST, Savage and mayhem ST) My last RC i had was the mayhem st and by far it was my favorite. i race but just on home made tracks. Im wanting to get another truggy but having trouble deciding what to get. I had a really good experence with the mayhem st so im leaning that way but I seen XTM has a new truggy the XTS out and it looks good. The mammoth st I had was a good truck and the engine was awesome. Seems like they got alot of problems fixed with the XTS. I am also looking at the Thunder Tiger ST-1. Never been around this truggy though. My LHS does not carry any of these trucks and im not worried about getting parts thats what the internet is for. I can get any of these trucks for under 350 shipped to my door new. WHat do you guys think? Im not a real big basher I just like to race. I want one with a very strong engine and handles good. What are your experences?? Thanks for the help
Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 PM
K_B

Default RE: Help me get back into the sport

If I were truly racing competitively, I would get none of the above. I'd go with something like the Losi 8T, Kyosho ST-RR, X-ray XT8, Associated RC8T or some other top brand that has a history of making race-worthy vehicles. If you're just racing in the backyard, than the XTM or the ST-1 would be a good choice I suppose. The ST-1 has a reputation for being almost indestructable.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 PM
RZRRIDER

Ya I agree i dont race competitively. just looking for something to race aroudn our home made track. I want to have fun but win as well.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Oasis TR

Their is nothing wrong with the new XTM XTS, I was actually impressed with with the on track performance of the ones I saw..and from what I saw quite durable to..for someone not wanting to spend a ton of cash they seem to be a viable choice from what I have seen, I dont own one..I did get to drive one for a few laps and it worked pretty good but the guy who owned the truggy had not done anything to it, so it was outta the box and not really set up for the track we were it driving on..It did seem like we could have changed a few things and really made it work..like diff fluids and changing shock oils..for club racing and back yard racing it would work just fine..plus the 24.7 is a good motor for an RTR, it does come with a 200oz/in metal geared steering servo, it's not real fast but you wont have to change it out right away..plus I have seen them for $360 on ebay..
Old 01-26-2009, 09:54 PM
RZRRIDER

If they have the same engine as the mammoth st (which i think they do) It was very fast. At least I thought so compared to the revo 3.3 . It and the mayhem were pretty close but I still think the XTM would beat it. thanks for the comments < keep em coming
Old 01-27-2009, 12:16 PM
xjqkz

ST-1 is an excellent truggy but it the RTR does not come with a strong engine, I say get the st-1 pro roller it will have all the upgrade parts that would later endup doing anyways and buy a .21 engine of your choice, it will be race legal and some decent servos. all together it will cost you close to $600 but you will have a racing machine! but if you go with the rtr you will get an engine that you will replace soon after then you will replace the servos real soon, not to forget all the time lost waiting for replacement servos and engine. Thats my 2 cents
Old 01-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Oasis TR

ORIGINAL: xjqkz

ST-1 is an excellent truggy but it the RTR does not come with a strong engine, I say get the st-1 pro roller it will have all the upgrade parts that would later endup doing anyways and buy a .21 engine of your choice, it will be race legal and some decent servos. all together it will cost you close to $600 but you will have a racing machine! but if you go with the rtr you will get an engine that you will replace soon after then you will replace the servos real soon, not to forget all the time lost waiting for replacement servos and engine. Thats my 2 cents
But for less money and a WAY more competitive Truggy you could get a Losi 8ight T RTR for $500..The ST-1 is still a dated design and not competitive with the newer truggies..you might do fine with one locally but when the talent level that racing against goes up you will be left behind..the ST-1 is a great deal for $299..but no matter how hard you "fans" try to say it's on the same level as the upper echelon truggies, the guys that race know better..
Old 01-27-2009, 10:48 PM
misasi

i dont know why people think that the st1 cant compete and pick on it. i will not argue the design is old. but its all about setup. the st1 takes more tweaking to get where its competitive where as out of the box with less tweaking other trucks are more competitive. dont be fooled the st1 has plenty of adjustment options. if you dont like making as many changes dont get an st1... however the losi truggy at 499 plus a good radio its a steal. why is it such a good deal? because losi is coming out with the 2.0 and all the ryan mayfields need to dump off their 1.0 for the extra 5mm long chassis and the other 3 tweaks.

Im not an ST1 fanboy either. for me the price was right and parts are cheap and its got an excellent drivetrain. its a durable truck and since im not ryan mayfield i can live with the slightly heavier truck and i can make adjustments to the point where my truck does just fine.

right now if you can afford it get the losi its the best deal right now hands down.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:55 AM
Oasis TR

The Losi caries more corner speed than what the ST-1 does (no matter what you do to your ST-1), jumps better and it's quicker corner to corner, I do agree on the 1.0 to the 2.0..I have seen the 2.0 run and was not really impressed with it..I know that the Team guys are winning with it..but they were winning with the 1.0..and it's not 4mm longer its 14 mm longer..all added to the rear of the truggy, I have never been hard on the TT ST-1..in fact i think it's pretty good for the money..but it is what it is..I just bought a Losi 8T to try (again..)..because it was so cheap, $275 out the door at my LHS for a race roller..sorry but for that price it's hard to beat. plus at the tracks that i race on the 2.0 in my opinion offers no huge performance advantages so why spend the extra coin..