Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

8ight-t chassis change

Old 02-02-2009, 09:06 PM
steve307b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8ight-t chassis change

Im swapping out my rtr chassis with a race roller chassis on my 8ight-t. Still running the 427 for now with the drill start. Where its recessed out for the engine on the roller chassis there is not enough room for the spin start plate to sit down tight to the chassis.So the engine mounts sit a couple ml higher in the back. Should I shim up the front of the motor mounts with a couple washers,or dremel out the chassis to except the spin start plate? Hopefully this makes sense. Has anyone ever ran into this?Thanks for any suggestions or coments.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:56 PM
JAMMINKRAZY

Default RE: 8ight-t chassis change

well what you SHOULD do is ditch that spin start and get a bump box. sport werks sells a backplate that fits the 427. But if you are stuck on that spin start you can buy special engine mount washers made by OS engines to raise the engine a few mm. They are available at tower and probably some more places.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 PM
steve307b

ORIGINAL: JAMMINKRAZY

well what you SHOULD do is ditch that spin start and get a bump box. sport werks sells a backplate that fits the 427. But if you are stuck on that spin start you can buy special engine mount washers made by OS engines to raise the engine a few mm. They are available at tower and probably some more places.
If I got the back plate from sport werks would I have to get new new engine mounts to lower down the engine so the bump box would work? Or would the bump box work? I thought I read something about this before.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:26 AM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: steve307b

ORIGINAL: JAMMINKRAZY

If I got the back plate from sport werks would I have to get new new engine mounts to lower down the engine so the bump box would work? Or would the bump box work? I thought I read something about this before.
Yes you would need the lowered engine mounts or the the wheel will not reach the flywheel.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:11 PM
steve307b

Ok guys I ordered the sportwerks back plate for the 427. Can anyone recommend an engine mount set that will lower the engine down to reach the bump box. Are they all the same? Didnt really want to get the quick change , they seemed a little pricey. And whats wrong with the losi bump box, everyones telling me not to get it and get the ofna box. I really dont no the difference. I would think losi puts out a good box for their products. And lastly will this be all I need to convert to bump box. Thank for all the help.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 PM
bajaracer1501

I liked the King Headz extended motor mount when I had my 8T. You WANT a quick change motor mount especially for the 8ight so that you can check your clutch bearings periodically and not have to set your gear mesh everytime you remove/install your engine.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:22 PM
TRIPC

The Losi 8 bump box is junk. I bought a OFNA one for my buggy. The same day my friend bought one for his 8 Truggy. Had problems from the very first time he tried it. The OFNA was perfect. No problems at all. Last week, 2 weeks after he bought it both motors burned up in it. The cars dont fit that good on them... Get the ofna.,....
Old 02-05-2009, 11:48 AM
steve307b

ORIGINAL: TRIPC

The Losi 8 bump box is junk. I bought a OFNA one for my buggy. The same day my friend bought one for his 8 Truggy. Had problems from the very first time he tried it. The OFNA was perfect. No problems at all. Last week, 2 weeks after he bought it both motors burned up in it. The cars dont fit that good on them... Get the ofna.,....
I have read there are certain ofna's that work better with the 8t. On another forum a guy said he called Losi and they said to get either the 10245, 10246, or the 10248. I think I read on RCU somewhere that the 10244 would be best for the 8t. Any opinions on wich one to get? Thanks
Old 02-05-2009, 12:04 PM
bajaracer1501

10244 Ofna Truggy starter box and be done with it. It gets the unanimous vote everytime and is the box I see the majority use at the track.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
steve307b

Thanks alot. I did read the reviews on Amain for that box. Seems like the way to go. I've only been into rc for three months now, didnt think I would convert my rtr to bump box this quick ,but here we go.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:20 PM
bajaracer1501

Yo Steve,
I was in your same position so I know what you're going through..haha My girl bought me an 8T rtr as my first "real" rc car in July and I converted everything to race roller/upgraded parts in a matter of a month or so. Remember that ebay is the place for your spares! I bought most of my spares from [link=http://stores.ebay.com/NITRONUTZZ_LOSI-8IGHT-T-TRUGGY_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ17579690QQftidZ2Q QtZkm]Nitronutzz[/link] laters
Old 02-05-2009, 02:51 PM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: bajaracer1501

I liked the King Headz extended motor mount when I had my 8T. You WANT a quick change motor mount especially for the 8ight so that you can check your clutch bearings periodically and not have to set your gear mesh everytime you remove/install your engine.

You don't need the quick change to set to keep your gear mesh,

Just buy the losi lowered mounts for 20 bucks, then when you take your motor take it off the mounts, don't take the mounts off with the motor attached or you will have to set your gear mesh again.

But Baja is right, the bearings are something you will need to check. The 8ight lives on a diet of clutch bearings ;p
Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 PM
steve307b

ORIGINAL: bajaracer1501

Yo Steve,
I was in your same position so I know what you're going through..haha My girl bought me an 8T rtr as my first "real" rc car in July and I converted everything to race roller/upgraded parts in a matter of a month or so. Remember that ebay is the place for your spares! I bought most of my spares from [link=http://stores.ebay.com/NITRONUTZZ_LOSI-8IGHT-T-TRUGGY_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ17579690QQftidZ2Q QtZkm]Nitronutzz[/link] laters
Ya I've been getting lots of replacement parts on ebay to make it a roller, like chassis, towers, shocks etc and a bunch of replacement parts just to have on hand. Gotta love ebay for saving $.

I did just get the 8t roller engine mounts instead of the quick change for now.

Thanks again for all the help guys
Old 02-23-2009, 02:07 AM
navyeoseabee

if you need a quick change engine mount let me know, i have one in the truck and a spare i will sell you cheap. i have the 10244 Ofna starter box. it to 10mins to modded it to work i can post or send pics of my work if you need them but this box has twin 775 motors rather than the 550 losi's the mods are very clean and professional and very simple.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:56 PM
r1nsho

you can find rr mounts on ebay for under 10 shipped. they will work fine
Old 02-25-2009, 05:53 PM
steve307b

Ebay seller nitronutzz has them for 7.98 to your door
Old 02-25-2009, 06:13 PM
DustnF

I am about to make this same move. So, if I wanted to keep my Mach 427 and the roto-start, but use them with the race roller chassis, what would my options be?

I have the rtr mounts and the race roller mounts and it appears that both of those will be to short to accomodate the roto-start.

Has anyone actually run the rtr mach 427 with the roto-start on the race roller chassis?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:18 PM
navyeoseabee

why would you want to just change the chassis?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:22 PM
DustnF

My RTR chassis is getting pretty beat down and I picked up a new race roller chassis for $40. Is there a reason I should'nt?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:18 PM
steve307b

If you use your 427 with the drill start on the race roller chassis you will have to use the rtr engine mounts to allow room for the drill start back plate. The race roller chassis is a little different as it is not recessed out as much as the rtr chassis is where the drill start sits at the back of the motor,because it is meant for bump start engines. So when you mount your 427 with the rtr mounts the motor will sit a little high in the back. I mounted my friends 427 on a new chassis like you want to do and just shimmed up the front of the engine under the mounts. No big deal and it works fine.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:58 AM
DustnF

Did you use just normal washers to shim it? Also would the king headz mount allow for this to work without the shims?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:41 PM
K_B

The only motor mount that will work wthout having to shim the motor up a bunch is the Losi RTR mounts. Most, if not all, aftermarket mounts are designed to keep the engine as low as possible so they can only be used with a starterbox.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:56 PM
steve307b

I did just use washers to shim the front. And it worked fine. Just make sure to lock tite your engine mount bolts