Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Sirio, yeah or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:50 PM
DS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirio, yeah or no?

Im thinking about buying the Sirio S21 Cl7B STI "Long Stroke" (not tuned version)to put in my truggy. I read it easy to tune and break in and has great bottom and top for a truggy. XRC Mag. said it was the engine too have in a truggy and the price is right. Smooth powerband not like likeswitch... So I want to hear your thoughts before I purchase it!!!!
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/22975
Old 02-26-2009, 09:59 PM
K_B

Default RE: Sirio, yeah or no?

Hell yes... Sirio makes great motors
Old 02-27-2009, 12:56 AM
calvino

My friend has a sirio and its downright AMAZING, he pared it with a 007 HT on his revo and leme say, it is ONE heck of a motor
Old 02-27-2009, 01:49 PM
TheKaiman

That is an excellent engine. I have been happy with every Sirio I have owned. You won't be disappointed with that engine. You might want to check this one out also. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/28700 This is what I'm running in my MBX5T right now and it is awesome.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:02 PM
slayerphonics

I've bought a few Sirio right now they are my favorite,

Recently everyone has been getting sirio engines at my track since they have seen a friend and I run them,

One of the few .21 that almost pull 2hp with out being modded, and get about a 10 to 13 run time in a truggy.

Look in the engine section I posted some pics of the internals of a new Sirio CL7B STI 2009
Old 02-27-2009, 03:09 PM
DS

Im gonna grab it but what Dynamite Pipe?
Old 02-27-2009, 03:10 PM
DS

ORIGINAL: TheKaiman

That is an excellent engine. I have been happy with every Sirio I have owned. You won't be disappointed with that engine. You might want to check this one out also. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/28700 This is what I'm running in my MBX5T right now and it is awesome.
Which did you like better, just want to know before i click buy!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:12 PM
slayerphonics

Just buy a sirio,

That is a sirio based motor..

I have no personal experience with that motor but i've read reviews that says its not all that.

Just buy a Sirio CL7B STI for 270 - 25.00 discount get it for 250.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Echelon

I've heard that someone wasn't happy with the bottom end of his engine in his Truggy.
But I'm diggin the Extech .24.[>:]
Old 02-28-2009, 09:14 PM
slayerphonics

I laugh when I hear that, its simple not true.

People that say that need to use more stall in their clutch.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:54 PM
DS

im getting the extech .24 aftrer talking to some people thanks guys...still sirio
Old 03-01-2009, 09:39 AM
slayerphonics

lol, did you not do a review search on the .24?

good luck let us know how it goes
Old 03-01-2009, 10:03 PM
DS

i reviewed it and im telling you is BEAST...I will fill you in
Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 PM
trx2.5maxx

well slayer i will have to agree with you that the sirio is a beast of a motor and it also has my vote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 PM
misasi

How would this engine compare against the JPX .21? im assuming it will have more grunt than it? Im interested in the jpx but the cost of plugs is making me look elsewhere.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:27 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: misasi

How would this engine compare against the JPX .21? im assuming it will have more grunt than it? Im interested in the jpx but the cost of plugs is making me look elsewhere.

I am modifying a Extech 24 right now !!! Its a very nice engine... its likely a little less potent then the JPX, however its powerband is a little more controllable with a smoother power up off idle... From what I seen of the .24 this weekend it will hang right with the JPX for the most part, but seems to be a little smoother and more relaxed in its delivery... Against a modded JPX i would say the .24 is outgunned in power,runtime and especially RPM.......A fellow at the winter Nats was running a .24 against a few of my clocked JPX 21's this weekend, needless to say after seeing how sweet my .21's run he has sent his .24 with me to work as well as purchased a JPX 21 for me to modify...... I will report back on how my modded .24 runs, the one I am starting with is already EB Modded, but its very close to stock and still has huge amounts of room for improvement...
Old 03-04-2009, 10:14 AM
misasi

Ok that sounds good. anyone know the cost of plugs? If this motor runs $5 doller plugs opposed to the $15 jpx plugs i may have to spend the extra cash for the extech. Altho i still really like everything i hear about the jpx.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:57 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: misasi

Ok that sounds good. anyone know the cost of plugs? If this motor runs $5 doller plugs opposed to the $15 jpx plugs i may have to spend the extra cash for the extech. Altho i still really like everything i hear about the jpx.

Guys regularly run other plugs in the Picco's.... I am maybe a little anal about only using Picco plugs, however many times I find it easier to help someone learn to tune when I know for sure they are running a compatible plug.. But if a person has a handle on tuning there are other plugs people run with great results...so keep that in mind..

As for the extech, they are nice engines, smooth power, good economy and very stable running characteristics... They also have a nicer carb then the Picco's do........ The Picco's do have a powerband I personally prefer, they hit harder and tend to make more power, which in my local track conditions works better.... However unless your running in a high traction condition the extra power of the Picco's would offer no real advantage, and quite possible end up being a disadvantage..... For an all around good engine you really cannot go wrong with the Sirio/Extech engines, I will maybe argue that they are not nearly as insane as people say, but that doesn't make them bad or anything like that... tho chances are most people have never run in conditions that I run in, so they likely have not seen how these engines react under high loads, on most track surfaces almost any engine seems crazy..Its only when you run these engines on high bite or deep dirt do you start really seeing the differences in the power output of these engines... In fact often times on most track surfaces the engine with a little less power will out accelerate the engine with too much power simply due tot he fact too much power causes tire spin...anyone who knows anything about drag racing knows tire spin can kill acceleration.... Because of this every engine has its preferred track surface, some engines do awesome on slick conditions, and others will do awesome on high traction surfaces.......
Old 03-04-2009, 06:10 PM
DS

sp supertib ur say the jpx will outrun a extech .21 and .24? and the jpx is the better engine?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:11 PM
RcRacer37E

I ran three sl7b sti version engines last year. They all three have 4 gallons plus on them. Ones in my brothers buggy, ones in my sons buggy and ones in my truggy. We run the super hot OS plug, perfect idle, they all fire right up and need little tuning. 2013 pipe on two and a jp2 on the third.
My bros hit 5 gallons and the front bearing went out, my sons hit 5 gallons and has back plate issue and mine still screams as I just hit the 6 gallon mark at the crcrc race back in january. I broke them all in and tune all three. Its hard to say how long my engine will last or why mine got more gallons than the others.
But for the cash spent, these are top notch engines.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: st1_racer

sp supertib ur say the jpx will outrun a extech .21 and .24? and the jpx is the better engine?

You maybe need to re-read what I said as it seems you have completely missed what I was saying....I don't mean that as a insult to you either but you have completely misinterpreted what I posted which makes me question how much you read...
Old 03-04-2009, 06:25 PM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: supertib

ORIGINAL: st1_racer

You maybe need to re-read what I said as it seems you have completely missed what I was saying....I don't mean that as a insult to you either but you have completely misinterpreted what I posted which makes me question how much you read...

lol
Old 03-04-2009, 06:28 PM
supertib

Track conditions will make all the difference in the world... in some conditions I would take the Sirio, in others I would take the Picco...I think its hard to really say if any engine is better then the other as a engine is only as good as the user behind it....... In my hands I can make either engine amazing, so its very hard to pick one over the other in absolute terms as each engine has its strengths..... For a platform for modding I can make a fair bit more power from a Picco, however with a Sirio I can make a very smooth engine with a kicking top end...if you want brute power I suggest a Picco, if you want power with finesse I suggest a Sirio...in the end both engines will hit about the same top speed, so we are only comparing power delivery characteristics...Picco's are extremely punchy, I find Sirio's to be very smooth.... I like Sirio carbs better but Picco uses better crank materials.... pick your poison as both engines will do their job with flying colors ! my team drivers have won trophies with both engines, and several of them have both engines.....
Old 03-05-2009, 01:18 AM
calvino

I have to agree with Tib definately on to much power on a low bite surface. That will kill any potential speed..... IMO Sirio's are SMOOTH, even with my friends super low end setup its still a very smooth and linear power delivery. I haven't driven a picco powered car so i can't comment on those, but after seeing vids of where you (potentially) race at, I say a Sirio maybe your better bet. I also agree with Tib that most engines that are consiered "modified" and 'high efficency" can be set up even more for efficency... I have seen shots of engines with silly moded cranks and I peek at the sleeve and I am shocked to see no "smoothing" to help increase efficency more.... IMO find out what everyone runs and get some ideas, maybe if your lucky they will let you try one