Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Traxxas Jato

Old 03-24-2009, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Jato

A buddy of mine has a Traxxas Jato that he broke in a while back and never tunned. Over this past weekend I got my hands on it and started leaning it out a bit on the HSN and I also had to adjust the idle set screw. It would start and then die like 5-10seconds later. Plus the throttle trim on his Tx was all the way up. Anyway, now that it'll fire right up and idle rather nice. Engine temps are getting around 350 but even as I richen it they only dropped to around 330. Is this ok for a 2.5 Jato motor? 330-350 seems really high to me. But any richer and the performance drops. What to do? Thanks, Joe
Old 03-24-2009, 06:53 AM

Default RE: Traxxas Jato

330-350 is wayy to hot. try getting the temps down around 250...do you have a hole cut in the body? if u cant get the temps down you might have an air leak, i know this is everyones answer to everything...but most of the time its the problem.

as far off as the jetting sounds, you might wana set it to factory settings and start over
Old 03-28-2009, 03:16 PM

was it broken in properly? what fuel are you using? what is the shim spacing between block and cooling head? fyi traxxas engines do tend to run kinda hot so a good target for you right now would be about 290. make sure there is a ton of airflow over the head imo the 2.5 heads are too small for the engine and dont cool it down enough. you should just start from factory and go from there, if that doesnt work get to the closest hobby shop for some assistance, and if still nothing contact traxxas; their cs is pretty good.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:35 PM

The kid broke it in using the Traxxas method and never tunned it after that. Ran about 1 1/2 gallones through it and now I started to tune it. Got it to idle without having the throttle on the Tx all the way up. (I dont know why he did that) HSN and LSN and set good because she's running super nice but temps are like 340-350. Airflow is great, the whole back end is opened up plus there is a hole in the windsheild for air to get it and hit it. If I richen it up anymore it bogs and or dies. Like the low end is getting flooded out. Next time he comes over I'll mess with it a little more. Thanks for the info.