Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
 Brushless Truggy questions >

Brushless Truggy questions

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Brushless Truggy questions

Old 03-29-2009, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Truggy questions

I see a lot of brushless conversions lately. I just have a few questions. What amp esc and what size motor are used? Why are some people using 2 batteries and some using one? If you want to use 2 batteries with one esc how do you set it up?
Thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 10:52 PM

Default RE: Brushless Truggy questions

ORIGINAL: sdp30

I see a lot of brushless conversions lately. I just have a few questions. What amp esc and what size motor are used? Why are some people using 2 batteries and some using one? If you want to use 2 batteries with one esc how do you set it up?
Thanks
To run 2 batteries you have to get a "Y" adapter http://holeshothobbies.com/index.php...roducts_id=354. This makes you wire the batteries in Series and normally use 2S packs. I use a Hobbywing 80A ESC but some use up to a 15A ESC too. You should be able to find 1/8 scale motors like the Shumacher Speedpassion, Losi Exceliron, Medusa Afterburner and Mamba motors will all fit. Alot of newer motors are just now being released so alot to choose from.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:13 AM

You'll hear a lot of opinions. Many people want gobs and gobs of power and run up to 6s (6-serial LiPo cells equalling 22.2V, each LiPo cell is 3.7V) on their truggies. Considering most truggies once stripped of their nitro engine, fuel tank, etc. don't weigh much more than 7lbs, I personally don't think you need that much power in a truggy. Like vnmsgt, I run a Hobbywing EZRun 80A ESC in my trucks and do fine. I also have the EZRun 150A, but really that's just overkill and I got it to try it out. It doesn't offer anything over the 80A aside from running slightly cooler, but if you're not overheating, you don't have to worry. I run both 3s (11.1V) and 4s (14.8V), which most people do using two 2s-packs in series. There are also single 4s packs you can buy. Some people will run two 4s-packs in parallel to increase the current discharge capability of their power source and increase runtime. If you want retard-strong power, you can run 6s like others. I personally think 4s with a 2000kV to 2600kV motor is plenty powerful. Even my 2350kV motor on 3s is very quick and does not heat up.

For info on batteries, do a search for LiPos and look around the sites to see what's available.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:31 PM

What motors by hobbywing (if thay make any)are suggested?
Thanks
Old 03-31-2009, 12:24 AM

Hobbywing only makes 3 "large" motors for 1/8 trucks. From smallest to biggest:

SL3665 (36x65mm) 2300kV
SL3674 (36x74mm) 2350kV
SL4465 (44x65mm) 2000kV

The 3665 and 3674 usually come with the ESC as a combo at a great price. I haven't found the 4465 motor or combo yet, but the motor is pretty pricey (over $100 I think). For that price, you'd be better off with a Medusa.

There have been rotor failures (cracked rotors) with the SL3674 motor from people running 6s. 6s on a 2350kV motor is about 52k rpm, which is too high for the entry-level motors. If you stick with 5s or under, you should be fine. I haven't had a problem running 4s and I don't plan to run 5s as 4s, and even 3s, is plenty powerful for me.

If you'd like to know my setups:

E-Savage
EZRun 80A ESC + SL3665 motor running two 2s 4000mAh packs in series (4s equivalent, 14.8V, 4000mAh, ~80A capable)

TTR ST-1 Truggy
EZRun 150A ESC + SL3674 motor running either:
two 2s 4000mAh packs in series (4s, 14.8V, 4000mAh, ~80A capable)
two 3s 2750mAh packs in parallel (for double the runtime/capacity and current capability, 11.1V, 5500mAh, 140A capable)

My 4s packs are Zippy Flightmax Hardcase 4000mAh 2s packs (red hardcase). They're rated for 100A, but the super crappy soldering makes them 60-80A at best. Most people run these in setups that don't require near that much current, so they haven't experienced problems. If you get close to those numbers, you'll likely end up with an open circuit pack. If you get close to the 100A rating, you're guaranteed to have an open pack. I bought 6 packs and ALL 6 open circuited when I ran it in a 100A setup. One of the packs open circuited in a 60A setup. I have to occasionally resolder the packs now and then when they open circuit during runs.
I haven't read these similar soldering problems with other Zippy packs. These just happen to be their crappy ones. I don't recommend these.
My 3s are ECPower packs and so far they've been great. I also ordered some WinPower 3s packs that are on their way and they look identical to the ECPower ones (probably same mfr), so hoping they're just as good.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:05 AM

going for two lipos instead of just one can have advantage as you can have better weight distribution by choosing wisely where you put them

but in some cases going for a single lipo might be the best way to go if the location for it is in a good spot

Old 04-04-2009, 02:25 PM

ORIGINAL: bhcvc

Hobbywing only makes 3 "large" motors for 1/8 trucks. From smallest to biggest:

SL3665 (36x65mm) 2300kV
SL3674 (36x74mm) 2350kV
SL4465 (44x65mm) 2000kV

The 3665 and 3674 usually come with the ESC as a combo at a great price. I haven't found the 4465 motor or combo yet, but the motor is pretty pricey (over $100 I think). For that price, you'd be better off with a Medusa.

There have been rotor failures (cracked rotors) with the SL3674 motor from people running 6s. 6s on a 2350kV motor is about 52k rpm, which is too high for the entry-level motors. If you stick with 5s or under, you should be fine. I haven't had a problem running 4s and I don't plan to run 5s as 4s, and even 3s, is plenty powerful for me.

If you'd like to know my setups:

E-Savage
EZRun 80A ESC + SL3665 motor running two 2s 4000mAh packs in series (4s equivalent, 14.8V, 4000mAh, ~80A capable)

TTR ST-1 Truggy
EZRun 150A ESC + SL3674 motor running either:
two 2s 4000mAh packs in series (4s, 14.8V, 4000mAh, ~80A capable)
two 3s 2750mAh packs in parallel (for double the runtime/capacity and current capability, 11.1V, 5500mAh, 140A capable)

My 4s packs are Zippy Flightmax Hardcase 4000mAh 2s packs (red hardcase). They're rated for 100A, but the super crappy soldering makes them 60-80A at best. Most people run these in setups that don't require near that much current, so they haven't experienced problems. If you get close to those numbers, you'll likely end up with an open circuit pack. If you get close to the 100A rating, you're guaranteed to have an open pack. I bought 6 packs and ALL 6 open circuited when I ran it in a 100A setup. One of the packs open circuited in a 60A setup. I have to occasionally resolder the packs now and then when they open circuit during runs.
I haven't read these similar soldering problems with other Zippy packs. These just happen to be their crappy ones. I don't recommend these.
My 3s are ECPower packs and so far they've been great. I also ordered some WinPower 3s packs that are on their way and they look identical to the ECPower ones (probably same mfr), so hoping they're just as good.
Do you recommend 80a or 150 a for 1/8 scale truggy?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:06 PM

If you can afford the 150A, go for that as it has more headroom for scenarios like:

- Gearing for more top speed
- Upgrading your truggy to aluminum parts (which adds weight)
- More battery options (can go up to 6s)
- Can be used in a MT (or other heavy truck) if you decide to use it elsewhere, sell your truggy, etc.

However, with all that being said, I personally think the 80A can handle a 1/8 truggy just fine. I don't know how other people's setups are, but I don't see the need to run more than 4s for a truggy. My TTR ST-1 weighed 7lbs when I took the stock engine, fuel tank, filter, pipe, etc. out. That's not very heavy. A motor and ESC adds less than half a pound. A couple of LiPos...maybe 1.5lbs if you get big LiPos, so that's an extra 2lbs max. Compare that to 1/8 MTs that weigh typically 12-15lbs. Now that you would need the 150A, but for 9lbs, I think 4s and 80A is plenty. Many people like to run 5s in 1/8 truggies. I run 3s for bashing and 4s on the track if I need more acceleration like when there isn't a big runway for clearing some jumps.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:11 PM

cool thanks for the info im looking at a 80 a esc right now.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 PM

I think you'll be happy. Most guys that run 5s say they lift the front wheels easily. While that's fun now and then, it's not fun on the track as that means no steering and you have to let off the throttle while I can go full throttle down the straight.