Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Does Driving Buggy Make You a Better Truggy Driver?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Does Driving Buggy Make You a Better Truggy Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:18 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Does Driving Buggy Make You a Better Truggy Driver?

Just curious.. I only really ran my buggy for one weekend. It was a lot of fun actually.., but I don't think I'd really want to race buggies seriously. I had the feeling though that it was good practice for truggy.

Just trying to decide if I should sell it while I have a couple people interested... My original plan was to keep it as a mess-around/practice/engine break-in platform.., but now I don't know. It's rare you get a chance to unload something for a decent price.. And the RC8's are already dirt-cheap new, AND they just came out with a new version..

[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 04-11-2009, 03:47 AM
stussman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does Driving Buggy Make You a Better Truggy Driver?

Its 2 expensive to race both classes unless you hav the dosh and time. Ive seen yor vids of yor trug on the track and u go ok(better than me). I find yor comments without bias compared to some of the others on the forums, good stuff!
Old 04-11-2009, 06:13 AM
HerrSavage

Wow, thanks dude.. I'm really not a great driver - having been to a few races now, I think I can recognize talent when I see it, and I don't think I have it.. Especially when it comes to set-up...

What I really want is an SC8 to go along with my RC8T, but they're just too stupid expensive new. I'm eyeing one on ebay. If I don't get it I guess I'll keep the RC8. Parts are plentiful and cheap, and yeah, it's a nice mixup to go with my trug and MT's.. I really like the part-interchangeability between the bug and trug..

Plus, it looks like the new RC8 version just has some hopups that would be easily isntallable on my RC8, so I can always do that later if it gets to that.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:34 AM
INTEGRA

buggy will 100% make you a better driver if all you have driven is MT and truggy.....they are twitchier and require a little more skill to keep them going in a strait line....I vote Keep it Herr and start racing buggy as well....if you know your gear you shouldn't have an issue running 2 classes.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Oasis TR

I would keep it also, most of the pros dont practice with their truggies, they run their buggies most of the time just for the reasons that INTERGA said, harder to drive and you have to be a lot more selective in your choice of lines..so it does make you a better driver. Just a thought, have you thought about converting your buggy to electric, this is what i'm doing for a few reasons..the biggest is the less maintance deal..I can race my Truggy and practice with my buggy..
Old 04-11-2009, 11:18 AM
HerrSavage

At the last race I attended, it was very hectic racing both classes, but after a 15 minute buggy semi, the 30 minute truggy final felt like easy cruisin' for sure..

I didn't win the SC8, so I guess I'll keep the buggy, and try to break in this Caster engine tomorrow (if my startbox can manage it - they supposedly have killer pinch...)
Old 04-11-2009, 12:02 PM
bajaracer1501

I agree with Integra & Oasis, keep the buggy! Buggies are a LOT more fun to drive on the track. I recently made the switch from truggy to buggy and will never look back if I had to choose only one.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:46 PM
romax

Yep, keep the buggy. I just bought one & am racing it at club level & will race truggy in the state series. I can allready tell i'm making better choices (lines , passing , better throttle control etc. ) My son races buggy & raced my truggy for 3 or 4 races & it also made him improve.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:20 AM
j_blaze

keep the buggy for practice if you can afford to keep both running, i tried it a while but buggy parts then truggy parts then buggy and truggy tires were wearing me out, so the buggy parts are turning into truggy #2 for practice instead. practice with what you drive.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:18 PM
HerrSavage

Man.... Annoyed. Was breaking in the Caster yesterday again, and the buggy shocks were way too soft, so now they're leaking.. Soooo anyway(this is kind of leading somewhere...) I've been asking around about getting big bores. Big bores here would cost €120, which I just find totally stupid. Especially since there was a deal going recently for a whole new RC8 FT kit INCLUDING big-bores extra for €335. Thought and thought and came up with the plan - buy that, put the non-big-bores from the new kit on my roller and sell it, then have a brand new kit with big-bores... So I called, and of course, sold out...

Back to square one..

Sssoooo anyway, now I don't know what to do. I ain't paying 100 bucks plus for some stupid shocks. But my question is, from the point of view of part interchangeability, the SC8 would make even more sense than the buggy. And I've been keen on it anyway. So to alter the question, would it make sense to have the SC8 as a sidekick to the RC8T - the justification being it would serve the same purpose as the RC8 - to practice and improve driving????..... TheSC8 is also stupid expensive, but I could sell the engine, radio, etc.. and have a truck with matching chassis, shocks, etc.. to the truggy.

I like having mixed stuff to drive. Was fun driving the buggy on the track yesterday... Laser-precise steering compared to anything I'm used to...
Old 04-22-2009, 01:34 PM
K_B

I have yet to actually drive my SC8, but considering that it uses a mixture of truggy parts (chassis) and buggy parts (suspension/drivetrain), I'm guessing it's gonna handle nothing like the buggy. The buggy has quick steering compared to a truggy because it has a much shorter chassis. Since the SC8 is gonna be longer, it's not gonna have that quick steering. From what I've read, it's more like it's full scale counterpart; limited traction and prone to controlled powerslides
Old 05-06-2009, 06:44 AM
HerrSavage

Well, here I'd gone and gotten this used buggy just for kicking around on the side, and now I find myself wondering if I don't like driving it better than the truggy... [X(] Haven't really pushed the limits yet cuz this Caster Grenade engine is still new, but man I love how responsive and quick they are... It seems I can set up lines though the curves so much better.. With the truggy I feel like I have to wait for it to get through the curve, whereas the buggy almost takes it on its own.. Still love my RC8T, but this buggy thing is growing on me.....

So anyway, got the Big Bores(only mounted the fronts so far - waiting for silver springs... Bought blue and they're too hard...), some new shoes, and a new lid..:

Think I found a guy to sell me an RT top-plate, some King Headz chassis braces, and some silver springs..... Then I'm not all that sure I won't choose buggy over truggy for the next race...
Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 AM
HerrSavage

A little extra pimpage...(even though the yellows don't match.. :roll: )

Old 05-06-2009, 07:57 AM
DrDremel

I find driving a truggy fast is a lot easier than driving a buggy fast....I struggle to do 30-31 second lap times at our club with my buggy, yet I can run consistent 29 second lap times all night in a truggy with a bad setup.... One guy at our track set the record in a truggy...27.3....
Old 05-06-2009, 08:07 AM
HerrSavage

I'm definitely faster - well, at least is seems to - with the buggy than the truggy.. Though last year I did manage ten laps in a qualifier with the trug - don't know if I did with the bug.. There's this one curve though - a 180, with a little lip up going into it, and I was practicing and practicing with both trug and bug last week, and I was nailing it with the bug - was fun.. With the trug though it was like the turning circle was much wider, so it felt like I had to wait.........., and I just never found the right way to blast through it.. With the bug though it was easy... The rest of the track is easy with both - but in the sharp turns is where it seems to me the buggy has a big advantage...

The bug is twitchier and requires more concentration - kind of like driving a Savage...
Old 05-06-2009, 08:33 AM
DrDremel

Oh, I forgot to tell ya Herrsavage.....I got me a RC8T now!
I can see why you were so adimant on it, it's a freaking blast to drive and damn near impossible to put on her lid!
Old 05-18-2009, 10:01 AM
INTEGRA

Herr are you running badlands as race tires ?
Old 05-18-2009, 12:44 PM
HerrSavage

No, as practice tires so as not to excessively run through race tires..   But I guess I could depending on conditions.. 

Also will use them just for just fun racing at the other (not so well maintained..) track I go to that doesn't have organized races..

Was at the local track yesterday and the guy wouldn't even let me run my truggy with Badlands cuz he said Badlands tear up the track....

Old 05-18-2009, 10:30 PM
kevinmansouri

Hey herrSavage, i have a RC8T (first Truggy), how much of the parts will work on an RC8? I've been thinking about getting rid of my savage and having a buggy and a truggy, not a monster and a truggy. If a good amount of the parts are interchangable that would be a score.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:45 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Was at the local track yesterday and the guy wouldn't even let me run my truggy with Badlands cuz he said Badlands tear up the track....

we don't allow them at home track either....they do tear up the track excessively so i wouldn't hold anything against him from trying to keep his race surface in one piece

Old 05-19-2009, 01:09 AM
HerrSavage

Well I did decide to go ahead and risk cutting the Badlands for the truggy after seeing one of the club team drivers warming up with them before a race at the track last year and explaining to everybody exactly why he'd gotten them - to not waste race tires...  And a second guy from this club(the one that operates the track...) was asking me how much to cut etc.. just two weeks ago cuz he was getting ready to cut some of his own.   It's not like I just pull this stuff out of thin air..