Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

st-rr vs losi 8t 2.0

Old 04-27-2009, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default st-rr vs losi 8t 2.0

what do you think? getting my first truggy . is the st-rr still a good investment or should i got with the new losi 8t 2.0 .how do they match up against each other.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:43 PM
K_B

Default RE: st-rr vs losi 8t 2.0

Parts are more expensive for the Kyosho. Steering knuckles seem to be a weak point. When I drove one, it felt like it had much more steering than my 8T; handles like a dream.

8T parts are cheaper but due to the design, some parts wear a little quicker than normal (center front CVD pins for example). Body is fuuuugly. Handles great, but still liked the Kyosho better.

When all is said and done, it's probably a coin toss.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:41 PM

i've got the losi and the st-rr both are great truggies,but i have to rebuild the clutch on the losi every gallon of fuel,and those losi clutch parts are pricey$$.i use ofna springs and shoes on the st-rr,so no biggie there.wich ever one you get you'll be happy with.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:55 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I have the Losi 2.0T and I love this truck, the handling is unbelievable. It has it's issues, the rear inner hub bearings like to go out, I'd suggest getting the Integy aluminum rear hubs, its upgraded to hold a larger bearing. Also you need to check the shock ends, at the factory it appears they scewed them on too tight and stripped them out. If you call Losi they'll send you new ones for free. I found 2 out of the 4 on mine were stripped out.

It comes assembled as a race roller, but I would highly suggest taking the thing apart and reassembling the thing yourself and using loctite anywhere you can just to eliminate any possible "dumb breaks" that would end your race early.

Losi parts support is second to none, almost every LHS carrys parts, and if your local track is like mine there are quite a few guys who race these trucks so help at the track is all over the place for setup tips or if you need a part in a pinch more than likely someone there has one  for you.

I've never owned or driven the Kyosho truggy, quite a few guys used to run them but for whatever reason I don't see many of them on the track anymore. But from what I have seen the Kyosho is a very competitve truggy, but IMO seems like it does have some durability issues.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:08 AM

since i havent drove the Losi i wont go and say get the st-rr because of the fact that i like mines. But to address the durability issues claim... the truck has never had any durability issues. Only problems i ever had with  the truck (and other i seen with this truck) is the front steering knuckles. Mines on the right side was a bit of an issue at first. It kept getting striped out or somethin so i used alot of loctite when i last replaced it and that seemed to do the trick. any other parts that broke was driver error and it takes alot to break the truck from my experiences with it and watching other drive theirs.

The claim on parts being expensive, i disagree. Nothing seems to never breaks on the truck unless ur not a good driver... so u wont be buying spares much at all. The only thing thats expensive is the Kit itself which is still about $600 i believe and the losi being about $100 cheaper. IMO the extra money spent on the kyosho would definatly be money well spent.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: sparko

Kyosho is a very competitve truggy, but IMO seems like it does have some durability issues.
The 2.0 has it's own durability issues too, they all do.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:06 PM

well what about compition wise, is the older  heavier kyosho still competitive with the newer truggies eg. losi or the mugens 
Old 06-09-2009, 09:35 PM

The ST-RR is every bit as competative as any of the other truggys......all of this "the 2.0 is the best because of this; the rc8t is the best because of that; the mugen rocks because of this" thing is 80% bull......it simply comes down to driver. The ST-RR's are every bit as competative as they were the day they were released.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:04 PM

Very well said.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: DrDremel

The ST-RR is every bit as competative as any of the other truggys......all of this "the 2.0 is the best because of this; the rc8t is the best because of that; the mugen rocks because of this" thing is 80% bull......it simply comes down to driver. The ST-RR's are every bit as competative as they were the day they were released.
Very very true. It's not all the driver though, mostly but not all. With my 2.0, Iimmediately took two seconds off my previous best lap times compared to the XT8 once I got around how to drive it.

At my club, there is this guy who drives an ST-RR and regularly cleans up, so much quicker and more consistent than me. However at the last meet that he and I attended, I ended up winning and almost lapping him. This was completely due to him not having a day as good as he normally does and me having a great day. The next meeting I was at the Nats and didn't enter the club meet, but he demolished every one there and would have beaten me too as his average laps were almost a second quicker than mine at the previous round. OK, the track was quicker than the previous round as it was far less dusty and almost blue groove, but this does prove that the driver has more to do with it than anything.

Either way, whichever one of these you get, you will have a great car. I myself am very partial to Losi at the moment as I have been a lot quicker with it than my previous car, out the box, but in the same breath have never driven a Kyosho, only going on the results and experiences of one of my race mates. In fact on that basis I almost bought the Kyosho, but spares availability and cost here in the UK swung me to the Losi.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:37 PM

It depends on the track..but for the most a properly set up 2.0 will own the Kyosho ST-RR..and just FYI the Losi is designed more for american style tracks than the euro tracks..and it does make a big difference.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:54 PM

ORIGINAL: xxxkat

It depends on the track..but for the most a properly set up 2.0 will own the Kyosho ST-RR..and just FYI the Losi is designed more for american style tracks than the euro tracks..and it does make a big difference.

A properly set up anything will be better than anything not properly set up........

And what makes the 2.0 so much better on american tracks?
Old 06-15-2009, 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: xxxkat

A properly set up anything will be better than anything not properly set up........

And what makes the 2.0 so much better on american tracks?
It's wider, longer..when the team guys were working on the 2.0 the tracks that they were testing on are huge flowing tracks with huge jumps..Most 2.0's that I have seen WERE NOT set up very well..most pushed like a dump truck..so on a tighter track they don't work very well..but mine turns great..and no I'm not going to give any of my set ups..work on them like I did..haha..
Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM

I'm plenty happy with my setup on my RC8T...it's all jusr preferance. I've driven 2.0's and they drive nice, but I think the longer chassis is a disadvantage....like you said, it pulls on tighter tracks..... But every brand has its advantages and disadvantages, there's no such thing as the perfect vehicle.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:07 AM

Normally I would agree with this but for some reason guys I used to kill on the track are now right on my butt. Oh, did Imention they all have 2.0's..