Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Diff-oil Changing Procedure..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Diff-oil Changing Procedure..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:45 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Diff-oil Changing Procedure..

How do you guys change oil in your diffs? I just did my center, and it was a greasy, stainy mess.. How thoroughly do you have to clean the individual gears??

Does it necessarily have to fxxx up your linkage setting?...

Dumb questions I know.. Would just like to find a more efficient and less sloppy procedure for doing it..
Old 05-03-2009, 04:55 PM
bhcvc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Diff-oil Changing Procedure..

I'm lazy and tend not to have much time, so I just clean off what grease I can and fill. Most other people will disassemble everything, run all gears individually in water or a bath and get them super clean, reassemble, then fill. I'm messy and get grease and everything all over my hands...but I'm messy whenever I work on my RCs or real cars.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:27 PM
calvino

I just run a little denatured alcohol through mine, check nothing is super worn. Drain out the alcohol, blow any excess out, and fill er up. Been doing this for almost 10 gallons on my truggy (stock/LRP engine....) and its not showing a significant sign of wear [8D]
Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Chris_RC

Namptha and GMK diff dunkers or a tea strainer does the job.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:28 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Namptha and GMK diff dunkers or a tea strainer does the job.

What's that stuff? The tea strainer I can figure out.. Great idea.. I'll go to the hardware store today and look for something similar..

Always crazy figuring this stuff out cuz I have to translate it all to German.. Anybody know what "denatured" is in German?? (kidding - www.leo.org should tell me...)

Anyway, that is the kind of thing I was looking for. Would like to be able to just open the diff, and dump the gears, oil and grime and all, in a strainer, and bathe it in whatever and have them come out all shiny clean ready to go back in.. Instead of going through half a roll of paper towels and spending an hour like last time...